Finals The World Cup of Pokémon 2021 - Finals [Won by Team US South]

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
xray's game was just incredible, I don't know how he made some of the reads he did and how they worked but that almost looked staged; however a "fitting" end for the supreme greed builders to lose on that Axel miss; congrats to my friends on South who get to enjoy this win now and well done to Germany as a whole for assembling such a sick team and community.

TPP special mention to you, your growth as a player since I've met you has been exceptional, happy for you that you won this while contributing heavily to that title overall, keep it like that

Teclis

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Congratulations South! I can't begin to imagine how crazy of a ride it was from your perspective, but this probably makes your trophy as enjoyable as it gets. You had plenty of great players from the start and I'm really glad you lived up to your potential (especially with some of the most wholesome Smogon users in there).

Some people find World Cup one-tier's format boring on the long term. While I can see why, the enthusiasm of players longing for victory, pushing forward the boundaries of the metagame & playing great remains the same no matter the (team) tournament, close to the core of what makes competitive Pokémon fun. Team Germany was another great example of this and has been really impressive in all regards - level of play, teambuilding prowess and dedication. Amazing finals overall!

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Congratulations on such a powerful victory South, you guys were exceptional from start to finish and this could not have been a more deserved title. Particularly massive props to Eo on such an absurd performance overall; only fitting that this tournament's version of Red brings home the blue. Special congrats to my buddies Bouff and TDK, the former of which has had this coming for far too long.

Never got to say this before and it's a bit late now but I wanted to give a really quick thanks to the Europe guys for giving me a shot to manage this year, I hope I did you proud and you all made this tournament great for me. <3

Germany, you guys came so close and considering how much of your roster was comprised of new, up-and-coming players, it was amazing to see how effective of a team you built. You'll only grow from here, particularly with such a friendly and active German community to fall back on. I hope to see you come back even stronger. Es gibt immer nächstes Jahr!! or something idk german is hard and it's been a few years

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Congrats South! Well deserved win.

I know how much this meant to y’all and it was cool seeing the cogs turn first hand hangining out in your discord. That was a team win all around. Y’all domintinated in playoffs after securing the 2nd seed and pulled through in tiebreaks. Those trophies look real nice under y’alls names. Thanks for letting me hang out. Enjoy the well deserved win

First of all congratulations to US South, you guys deserve to get a trophy for your performance throughout the entire tournament.

This loss fucking stings, not because we couldn't get trophys under our names or because of luck or misfortune (i think we weren't unlucky throughout the tour and there is no point in beeing mad about it) but because of the fact that we couldn't reward ourselfs for this incredible tournament. At least for myself WCoP is a special tournament because i get to team with some of my best friends. I loved our group, of course the last year was also special but especially the team spirit and the atmosphere in the team was far better than last year. Its incredible that we managed to do so well (again) with a bunch of no names on our team and im looking forward to seeing all the guys in future tournaments. Now a few words for everyone:

CMx : You are a great manager, of course you can't really help when it comes to the current gen but you where always pushing us, creating a unit and doing a good job with all the manager stuff. You are a likeable guy and i almost always agree with your beliefs. Hoping for you to be our manager again next year.

xray : What can i say. I think the whole group wanted to win this tour, also for you to get a trophy (which would've been more than deserved by now). In my opinion you are the best german mons player there is. Last year you almost single handedly carried our asses to semis and this year, especially after the groups you where an integral part in our prep. Apart from mons is also like you because i think we are very different characters but get along pretty well (we kinda complement each other) and its always fun joking with you, or doing mons things. Its just a matter of time before you get your trophy and im looking forward meeting you irl :P

Dragon Claw : First of all, im glad that i could team with you again, i think last wcop didn't do you justice and it was great kinda seeing you redeeming yourself this year. For me personally, you where the most important person on our team, motivating the group, building and preping and you played awesome games across the board, winning deciding games in high pressure situations. If i had to create the perfect teammate, he would look like you. You are an incredible guy and i hope that we get the chance to team again.

Lord_Enz : We've come a long way. We met on Showdown (i think it was 2017) when you where a random that couldn't get out of 1500 or so, started talking and eventually i invited you to our discord server. We've spent an incredible amout of time in call together (actually rarely talking about mons but mostly talking shit about random things lol) and i can confidentially say that you are one of my best friends now, we've met irl several times and im looking foward to the next meetup. I don't want to talk too much about mons honestly, your record in this tour and making ost finals are just the logical consequences of your grinding and im hyped to see you play future tournaments. Hopefully you will win your next final lol.

MAX UND MAX : There isn't much to be said between us tbh. Good tour, later.

Relous : We've also come a long way together and you where a great help from semis onwards in prep and are always a good teammate. I think we get along pretty well, i like your attitude and relationship to the game (the only thing we don't agree on is the ladder and everything that comes with that honestly). Loved seeing you winning SPL and redeeming yourself for the last year, unfortunate that you couldn't play that much this tour but that's also a consequence of our new guys doing great to w/e.

CrashinBoomBang : You are a very likeable guy and i loved getting to know you. Was a pleasure talking about random stuff in team discord and i hope that your life continues the way you want it to <3

Reje : Great guy, great humor, it's always funny talking with you, we knew what we would get when we decided to put you on the team so there isn't much to be said about this tour, also looking forward to our next meetup irl.

Ewin : A shame that you couldn't play for us but for me you also where a member of our team. We think differently about the game and other stuff but you are a very likeable guy and it's always fun with you around, looking forward seeing you play next WCoP (hopefully lol)

LNumbers : Also an incredible guy, all of us felt how much the team and the tour meant to you, the decision to put you out of the roster was heartbreaking and definitly not against you. You are a great teammate and you have a great future ahead of yourself, im sure of it. You contributed a lot to our great team synergy and always stayed positive. Looking forward to our train ride xd. If any scl or spl manager reads this, pick this guy up, you won't regret it.

mind gaming : Kinda funny how you are so different compared to the usual smogon guy, sometimes your ideas are genius and sometimes they seem like the work of some idiot, you have a refreshing take on mons in general i feel like. You contributed greatly with your wins and im looking forward teaming with you next wcop.

Padox : Im kinda sad that we couldn't give you a game this WCoP, you definitly would've deserved to play. You also have a bright future ahead of yourself if you keep going.

MichaelderBeste2 : I always knew that you are a great player and it definitly showed this tour, our trust wasn't misplaced. You get a lot of shit (and sometimes it's desevered xd) but you where super invested in this tour, always helping in prep and contributing a lot to the great spirit we had with this team. Honestly, i think you can beat about anyone if you are feeling it and it's not a surprise that you immediately qualified for OLT (for me at least). If you get the right help in prep and don't hinder yourself you will also fucking slay in SCL or SPl, im sure of it.

Also special s/o to helpinghans your support reached us, it's an honor

Right now im just sad tbh but hopefully we will come back stronger next year and get the trophy.

(Sorry for my bad english, but i just wanted to make these shoutouts in english so everyone can read them.)

Last edited:
Congrats South, particularly the lobbies folk and Dave. TPP I’m especially proud of your wholesome and blossomed self.

I also want to give major props to Germany for the consistent performances as well as being a hub of new talent. No other team / region routinely brings in so many players that go on to become tour staples.

Last year Xray predicted you guys having crazy amounts of psynergy for this WCoP, some of you doubted that but you literally made it happen this year. Sad way for this to end, but hope you all still take the best of what you can from this experience and continue that family bond you've created through to the next season of team tours <33

First of all i wanna say that i´ve never really done a big shoutout post but i feel like this team deserves it a lot. You all have been incredible this year and i think we would have really deserved to reward ourselves with a trophy this year especially considering that we managed to win 5/6 elimination games. I unfortunately couldn´t help as much in prep as i would have liked to due to being really busy throughout the whole tour but i honestly think that my help wouldn´t have been needed anyways since you guys were so insanely active.

CMx i knew you were a good manager when we first teamed for Bundesländer Brawl on the german forums. You are great at motivating the whole team and you´re just a really nice person to talk to in general.

Ewin it´s a pity you didn´t get to play this year but you honestly still need to l2p so it might have been better this way...

xray man you really are cursed with your trophy but i´m sure you are gonna get it eventually. You played an incredible game today and came back in a really tough matchup which defenitely shows how good you are at the game. Also i´m really happy that you gave me a chance to be on this great team and i hope i didn´t disappoint too much given my activity this tour.

Dragon Claw man i remember when you made your shoutout post for spl and mentioned that you´re gonna get the first one and Lorenz and me are gonna follow and you almost got it right. I´m really thankful for everything you´ve done for me. You´re also the reason i stayed somewhat motivated for this tour and watching you write huge walls of text in your prep channel and play really nice games was a really epic experience.

mind gaming i really think you´re a great player even though you don´t play as much anymore. You´re also a really nice presence to have around in the team chat, we need to play ffas again man.

Gefährlicher Random your activity has honestly just been insane this tour and i think everyone would agree that the amount of work you put into this tour and every single persons preperation on our team was a huge factor in making it so far.

MichaelderBeste2 i honestly think i might have underestimated you a lot before this tour but you really popped off and played some great games this tournament and were also active as fuck and tried to help out others as well. Also happy to see that you qualed for OLT and i´m looking forward to watching your games. Keep it up bro.

MAX UND MAX your activity was also just insane and you´ve done so for this team too. You also played some really nice games. Maybe next tour you finally wanna play some tiebreaker games :).

Relous it was really nice teaming with you for the first time. You getting u-turned on over and over again by Eo was defenitely funny to watch though i gotta say it was defenitely not your best game and going 0-1 isn´t a fair representaion of your skill but you know that i´m sure. You as well helped a ton with prep too once playoffs started.

Lord_Enz man you played an incredible tour. The fact that you didn´t have much time to prepare later on this tour makes it even crazier that you managed to go 6-1. You really developed rapidly as a player over the last 1 or 2 years and i admire that.

LNumbers haven´t really had anything to do with you before the tour started but to me you also proved why you are a very capable player and that not just in UU. You also put in a shitton of your time to make sure everyone is prepared well.

CrashinBoomBang i really enjoyed talking to you for the first time man. Our chats throughout the tour were for sure part of the reason why this tour was so enjoyable to me. Also i think our test games were incredible.

Reje you might not have been as active as others in this team but the same thing honestly goes for me which is probably the reason we didn´t interact as much in our teamchat. Nevertheless it was really fun that we both raged about cycle 1 of OLT.

also big thanks to everyone not on the team that supported us and cheered for us along our journey.

xray

how u doin'?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I haven't written shoutouts in a long time, but since this was a very special team and tournament to me I don't hesitate to do so this time.
There is a lot going on in my mind right now, lots of "what if"s, but after all writing these shoutouts is what you guys deserve.
I went into the tournament coming off a rough loss in Smogon Tour and definitely not trusting my plays, but especially my team choices much at all. You guys played a big role in making me feel confident and comfortable again. Thanks a lot for that.
Honestly, there couldn't have been a better ending for me than winning this World Cup with two wins against (who I consider to be) the best two players on team US South. Massive thanks for the two great games you guys gave me FlamingVictini and Eo Ut Mortus and congratulations on your trophy. It was an honor to play two players who are at least a step ahead of me still in terms of overall tournament performances and success and in this tournament, instead of being afraid of playing crucial games (as I sometimes used to be), I felt very excited to play these games and looked forward to it a lot. In the end, I was willing to take the risk of using this item and this move and I don't regret it in any way.

But now onto the team:

CMx : Some people say that first impressions never lie. Thankfully, we're both not like that despite our "rough start". I really enjoyed having you around, although your ass was pretty useless during group stage LMAO. Once it really started to matter, however, you stepped in and supported us all the way, also saying what needed to be said in some scenarios. Shoutout to you for doing this with me again and trusting me in all the big decisions, you are a fantastic character to have around.

Gefährlicher Random : You are a very humble person and player and you often underrate yourself for no reason. In my opinion, your tireless striving to get the best out of us was a big deal. You spoke up, when I wasn't there and your activity and grind compensated my suboptimal activity during group stages. I admire you for always telling me your honest thoughts and confronting me, when I am too emotional. Without you this team probably would have collapsed at some point during Play Offs (particularly because of my situational ego). In some way, you remind me of my old buddy cosine and maybe that's what Team Germany needed to have in order to be successful again. You are one of the most talented players I've ever seen and while I know you don't trust yourself playing a tiebreak, I know that I'd always do. Can't wait to meet you irl, mate!

MAX UND MAX : I remember back in the days (like what 5 years ago?!) when Felix and you came out of nowhere just like here and started to mess up the german tournament scene. Your inspiration and ideas carried us to Semifinals last year and oh man, how glad I am that you decided to come back and give this a shot this year. I knew what you were capable of during SPL already and I hope that you give it another shot this year without being afraid to spread your creativity and ideas. You got us some clutch wins this year and I'm eager to see more and more of that! Get ready to not being the underdog anymore... ;)

Relous : Oh man, we both go way back. I am so glad you had that phenomenal SPL season, because I know what a fucking beast you are at SM. Unfortunately, our plan of unleashing you in finals kind of backfired, but your sheer activity and presence throughout the whole tournament still made a huge impact. I am very proud of you as your "tutor" and hope that we get to play many more tournaments together (maybe with you in SM). You're also a great friend as well :heart:

Dragon Claw : Yeah uhmm... guess I'll say it right away: Although it may seem weird to others, YOU were the biggest surprise of the tournament to me. I'm not gonna lie, I was kind of hesitant of starting Erzengel out of ORAS... again... Especially, looking back at our first team tournament where arguing seemed to be our biggest passion. Your development within this timespan has been incredible. You have become the definition of a teamplayer to me throughout the tournament, cheering and just generally being fun to have around. Prior to this tournament, I would have never ever thought of letting you play a tiebreaker for our team (and actually feeling confident about it too). And now you did play a tiebreak. Actually... two. And you won both of them. Cheers to you for getting warm with a tier rather new to you so quickly, playing stellar games and crafting teams on that level as well. Looking forward to the next time man!

LNumbers : Now it's your turn. I have rarely seen an inexperienced player playing test games on such level, close to flawless, in a new tier within such short time as I saw you do, when we were testing prior to german SPL. And that is one of the reasons why I personally wanted to have you on the team so badly. Not starting you in (Semi)finals probably was the hardest decision I have ever had to take as a manager and despite your obvious disappointment, you handled it like a teamplayer and even increased the effort you put in. You have earned lots of respect from me for that and despite me not wanting to make any promises, to me there is no doubt in my mind that you will play a big role in the future of our CP community. You have what it takes and I am confident that you wouldn't have disappointed us if you would've had the chance to play in finals. Everybody watch out for this guy! Can't wait to see you thriving :)

MichaelderBeste2 : You don't know how badly I fought to get you on this team. You got your chance (your win in the german prewcop-tour helped!) and you clearly didn't disappoint. You proved all the haters wrong and you keep on doing so. The talent that lies within you is immense and I hope that you find the right path between creativity and effectivity that works for you. Don't ever suggest fucking Clawitzer to me again, kid. Anyway, thanks for the crazy amount of effort you put in and I wish you the best of luck in OLT (and the other tours you should get picked up for by now)!!!

Padox : Sorry that you didn't get the chance to play, I know you really wanted to and it was such a fucking close decision lmao. You've been an integral part of this team and I look forwarding to seeing you improve and get even better. You have suffered from lots of injustice on here (your ban) and I hope that this tournament showed you how much fun participating in smogon tournaments can be :)

Lord_Enz : Only needed thousands of ladder games and many more of me smashing you onto the ground for you to get good, huh?! You have really mastered this game and you keep on getting better. If Empo was to give you a rematch for the trophy now, I'm sure you'd stomp him :P All jokes aside, if there was a standout-player on our team in terms of sheer playing performances, it would be you in my eyes. Your dedication is unmatched in the german community and the preciseness of the decisions you take during your games makes me wonder what I have been doing all these years haha. (Proud of you too, man). And I hope that once you win your individual trophy, you come back for your friends :P Can't wait to see you on the big stage in SPL, you deserve it, especially after not getting picked up last year.

mind gaming : You are a miracle to me, I don't understand how you work and I sometimes don't understand your plays, but they work. They work very well. You played a strong tournament again and I think you're a machine. The attitude you show has been great and I hope you stick to playing more again since your limits are even beyond of what you're doing right now!

Reje : I know you didn't always feel like you could help much or anything since you are more a player than builder, but nevertheless you were a really fun guy to have around (as I knew from the beer bears). I would've definitely trusted you to step in if necessary, because you're a very well versed player. Keep it up bro and see you on the beer bears again later this year :beer:

CrashinBoomBang : We go way back and while I thought I'd know you, it appears that I never really knew what you've been through. It was truly amazing how you opened up to us and although I didn't expect you to, you were really active and spread motivation and enjoyment. You were one of the first "big players" that helped me in my beginnings and I will never forget this, I hope that we can go for the trophy again next year. You're a great guy.

Ewin : Yeah, our 14th man. Your passion for this game is incredible haha. I really hope that you can come back to the squad next year again, our door will always be open for you and I still wait on the voice reveal, Erwin. Thanks a lot for everything, putting in this kind of effort while not being on the official roster cannot be taken for granted :heart:

Wings of Night : We're waiting for you next year, join the crew :mehowth:

That being said, I want to thank every single one of you that cheered for me and pmed me. While I was obviously disappointed, the messages of all the people that reached out to me were very heartwarming and made me realize why I am still here playing this game and having fun. If I were to win the trophy, I'd shout out all of you guys, but that time has yet to come. Thanks for your support and the respect you pay me.

Being a team captain isn't always easy and some people laughed at me for trusting into so many "unproven" players or "randoms". I am glad that it paid off and I can say without a doubt that I would have trusted us to play with 12 starting spots every week. You guys were incredible, thanks for having faith in me once more! I know that although I lost, I didn't disappoint you guys and that means a lot to me.

Last edited:

hellpowna

beware of coco
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
great run team Germany! Never had the pleasure to meet you all, but seeing lots of “new players” going so far and taking names were enjoyable to match! Xray, we did not talk so much, but you always seemed and are not only a fantastic player, but a great person and leader! You will get what you deserve soon, just keep on working
Gratz US south, incredible run! very happy for big brother Dave, HSA!!
Well done :)

congrats to my friends on south, was really cool to see you guys finally have an awesome run with how much talent y'all have, and it was even cooler to watch you take it all the way. esp happy for fmg who's deserved a team tour win for a long time now & dave cause I fucked him over in mudae today and he deserved some relief

@ germany you guys had a sick run & you're looking poised to take this tour soon enough, really enjoyed watching all of you play

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
This tournament went from being my worst team tour experience to a pretty good one and there's a lot to be happy about. From being the first team to go from qualifiers to champions in the history of Smogon, to having me Ox and FMG have break out tours, and have Eo finish undefeated. Winning 2 team tours back to back and also obtaining a scrolling badgeset (which I still can't get used to) feels pretty special too. I don't wanna be greedy, but I'll do my best to try and make it 3 in a row with SCL. I've grown to love team tours and I think it is always possible for every team to have fun and grow into a strong team. My wolfpack team didn't get a win until week 3 and my world cup team literally came out of qualifiers, so I hope that proves that a bad beginning can be turned into something powerful if you all stick to it. I'm looking forward to SCL a lot, mainly with being excited to meet and work with new people. Either way, I think it'll be fun, or at least I'll do my best to have fun and that's how it should be on this site. I'm probably reaching the stage where tournaments are the only thing on this site that keep me motivated, and it's likely due to just how much fun I can have here. That and after this tournament, I'm a lot closer to fixing my overall sheet record and will keep trying until it's positive.

Before I start with shoutouts, I want to properly praise Team Germany for the year they had and just for being incredible from start to finish. Once playoffs started and we saw Italy didn't make it, you guys were my favorite to win the whole thing and for lots of good reasons too. You guys were outstanding both on the playing field and especially in the builder. A lot of our games went down to the very last turn and that made this series so much more intense and scary. It came down to the smallest things and I think even after everything, we're still evenly matched. Finals was exciting but also a little heartbreaking for me because I have a lot of friends on team Germany. I really enjoyed getting to see Clark and Dragon Claw step up and do well on the big stage despite neither being an SS OU main. The god claw in particular went 2-0 in tiebreak, and the win in finals tiebreak was especially impressive because he had such an insane amount of pressure to deal with since you guys were down 0-1. However, despite all that pressure, he played well and won with a very cool team. I'm glad I got to see him continue to shine after SPL and I wanted to thank you all and him for making it happen. Last but not least, I honestly think Lord Enz is easily the best or among the best players in 2021. Having been destroyed by him in OST, I've had nothing but respect and praise for him since then and I've been able to enjoy every one of his games. It was really unfortunate that the timing for tiebreak was in the middle of an exam period, because I'm sure you wanted to play a ton. It'll take time to get over this one, but I really hope to see you again in SCL and SPL because you're among the top players in this tier and I want to continue watching you and hopefully play you again too. If we're lucky maybe we can team up too, and until then, best of luck with everything. Also wanted to praise xray and CBB and everyone else who helped organize Team Germany for this year. You guys finished with the #1 seed last year, but managed to get even better with a lot of newer faces and finished 1st again. The 2nd time in particular was impressive because I think it shows you guys have extremely high potential no matter what. Finishing 1st seed 2 years in a row sounds insane but you guys did it, and although we squeezed by this year, if you guys continue doing a great job, you will surely win this tournament multiple times in the near future. I think you guys will be the next big dynasty in world cup like how US East used to be, and I'm looking forward to seeing that happen. This year is not the end, but rather a new beginning and just another step in a long journey to finding success. Stay strong, keep trying and all the best in the future!

Now for the shoutouts:

Stone_Cold - I may have been the unofficial captain this time but you will always be our captain in just about every way. I'll take 1% credit this time but you get the other 99%. I met you when US South was first made and I felt really lucky to get added as a helper 4 years ago. It's been a long time since then, but US South was my first team tour and it wouldn't feel right to go this year or any year without you. You're fun to have around and a very good leader and mentor and you did more than your part this year by saving us with what will go down as the most legendary tour speech of all time. We got our heads back in the game at the end of round 1, went 10-0 in quarterfinals and semis (sorry Sammy) and managed to go all the way. Thank you for being with us and guiding us through several moments where we were close to falling apart. We still have a lot of things to work on and I think we'll always need you to keep us on the right track. In a way you do feel like a father figure for the rest of us and we hope we made you proud with this one.

jacob - my fellow caramel frappe connoisseur, sorry for forcibly dragging you and Stone Cold into this. The start of this was very messy because qualifiers came up so quickly, so apologies for that. Although I'm sure the trophy more than makes up for it. Like Stone Cold, you're pretty fun to have around and I hope we talk more often. Thanks for posting the roster.

TDK - we've been through a lot, some good and a lot of bad. Actually every team tour turned out kinda bad (missing playoffs twice into finishing last in snake while I went 0-6 into getting relegated last year), BUT we finally won one together. Like with Stone Cold, I really wanted to win at least 1 tour with you since I only got to experience Snake and later SPL because of you. Fortunately, we both know how to play well in 2021 and you were very helpful at the end of round 1 and in playoffs. I may have learned how to win games, but the way you FV and Eo play is still mind blowing. It's been very enjoyable to see you have a strong 2021 and we all really appreciated how you stepped up at the end and in tiebreak. Regardless of what games were won/lost, you played very very well despite not being as in touch with OU as you historically have been and you are still a good role model for the rest of us. Your games inspired the rest of us and I hope you enjoyed part of the ride too.

Eo Ut Mortus - you were our undisputed MVP and you'd get MVP 10 times before anyone else gets it. After SPL, I wanted to try and avoid pushing on you and Christo too much since you guys were coming off of a loss in finals there. It was actually because of that reason that I wanted to try and help you reach finals for the 3rd team tour in a row. I was very happy once we did that, but also felt very bad once it reached tiebreak. I pray we never have to tiebreak again because they are unbelievably scary. Thank you for playing in Round 1 and helping HSA and everyone out with building while also putting on an incredible performance. We may have grown into a good team, but you definitely carried us in every way and gave us a solid foundation every week to build off of. This year was very stressful so I hope you get a nice and enjoyable break. I hope you had fun too both while drawing and just in general. We'll try to make it easier on you next time, but sincerely, thank you for doing everything you did this year.

FlamingVictini - congrats on having me help you to a 2nd trophy after OST. Thanks for helping a little bit with managing early on and then stepping up to play in playoffs. Your performances continue to remain the best on this site when you're not getting unlucky and your games were extremely enjoyable to watch. Well, most of them. I remember going from 0 to 200 in terms of anger after seeing you bin Urshifu to Future Sight 2 times in 1 day (the first was in a test game with me ~12 hours before his game). Luckily you played the rest of that super well to where it didn't matter much, but that'll linger around in my memory for the near future. Even though the game was a tad unfortunate, it was really nice seeing you and Christo put in a massive amount of work in finals and it made it easier to feel confident about being up 4-3. Thanks again for playing and thanks again for introducing me to the other pogo guys. Philip7086 honchkrow I am getting a shundo before this guy, you heard it first. Jokes aside, love you buddy and hope we can continue enjoying mons on here and in pogo.

FMG - the franchise player. I am so so so happy we both had a great tour after we lost in Snake 4. We both went negative then and had we been a little better, we might've reached finals. However, that's in the past and the 2 of us today are better than our former selves and we both did an amazing job this year. Out of everyone on the team, you were the one I wanted most to get a trophy and I'm really happy you got it. Thanks for stepping up this year, especially in finals. You and I had a ton of pressure while being down 1-2 and 2-3 when we played, but we both tied the series up and I don't think it's easy to pull off. Had either one of us lost in finals, our team would've been mentally devastated beyond the point of recovery, so well done on helping save us there. We seem to always end up in stressful situations, but I also feel like I have a lot of fun when you're around. Hopefully this tour isn't a 1 off wonder for both of us and we continue to stay strong from here on out.

HSA - thanks for playing this year. I'm 100% sure no one knew you played SS OU before this season started and I'm glad I took Eo's advice and kept you in. You played pretty well (and stupidly fast) overall and I'm very satisfied with how much you helped this season. Your win against Finch in semis was very important as we would've been malding hard over an 0-2 start following Sammy getting unlucky against Nat. We also finally got to play gartic/scribble and I enjoyed those sessions a lot. I still can't believe I threw the last game and went from 1st to 2nd because I drew the worst Lucario drawing in the history of mankind. Let's play some more so I can make up for that one. Thanks again for everything and best of luck with everything on here and in irl.

Samqian - thanks for talking with me a lot this season. I felt like I got to know you a lot better and I know some unfortunate stuff happened this season, but you stepped up big time in qualifiers and delivered a great performance while being spammed and harassed by a ton of people that game. You're a really good teammate in every way (except for getting banned before we hit finals) and I have you to thank for my first team tour win ever last year, and just a lot of things this year. From testing to helping with building to offering feedback to playing well in your games. All of it was helpful and you were a core member of this year's team, so thank you for all of that. While we joke about your playoff losses, you played great and your game against Nat was a really inspiring game with how you well you bounced back from your previous loss. You're a strong player and you'll only get better from here on out. Assuming you're not banned that is. Jokes aside, love you Sammy and thanks for being part of this year's journey.

Ox the Fox - YEAR OF THE OX (it literally is year of the ox this year). I knew from the very start of the season, back when we had 4 starters and 10 subs, I wanted you to start no matter what. I remembered you from the ORAS OU days and I really loved every chat we had. In addition to Eo, I felt like you were our biggest piece with building and both of you were very on point in this meta. I think it's incredible how the team you made with Ferro Shifu and Weavile back when SPL ended only got better and was used a ton in world cup, both by us, our opponents and other teams. You were the biggest difference between this year and last year's roster and you were beyond phenomenal. Even after doing a lot of building, and playing well yourself, you wanted to set up for finals tiebreak and were delivered a win on the highest stage possible. The fact you pulled it off in your 2nd team tour ever is beyond insane and is something worth being proud of for a very long time. That win also let you join me in the 5-1 club (6-1 including qualifiers) so it's nice having both of us up there. We'll both only get better from here and I really hope we team up again in SCL or SPL because I loved having you around. That being said I do not look forward to being destroyed by you in every test game to come. I'll admit it they were pretty fun and amusing, partially because I would see how long you continue to outplay me and you would just never stop. I would honestly give you the MVP award after giving it to Eo 10 times because you really were that much of an incredible teammate this year. Last but not least, I think it's really cool how an OU forum contributor (me) and an OU room owner (you) won this tour. Back during the ORAS days the split between tours and OU forum and OU room was huge, but we're slowly closing that gap.

Then he told me "here's how you use Triple Axel"

Christo - thanks for stepping up in finals and putting in a massive amount of prep work going into that game. You and FV were ridiculously active that week and it was really cool to see. Regardless of the result, the work you put in going into the game was very appreciated, so thank you for that.

GaryTheGengar - you might be my good luck charm but we managed to go 2 team tour wins in a row. Bouff too unofficially, but it was nice getting to win another with you. I hope irl gets better and thanks for joining us this year. I was beyond happy when you PM'd me that you were eligible for South because earlier that day was when I found out a bunch of people wanted to sit out and having you made me feel a lot better about our roster. Current gen OU will always be something different, but we can try and work better together next time if we're both still around. Thanks again for joining :)

Bouff - my guy (sorry Bush but Bouff is also my guy). Like with Gary, I was so very happy to have you tell me you were eligible for South. I was a massive fan of you in SPL and I really wanted to thank you for SPL by helping you get a trophy in world cup. I don't think either of us thought it would happen but it really did. You helped us a lot this season with both activity and prep work, and both of those things helped turn us from a team that got relegated to a team that ended up winning the whole thing. Sadly we couldn't get you any playing time, but there is absolutely no doubt you did your fair share to earn it. I don't think Eo would have gone 7-0 without you and you also made this tour 10,000% more enjoyable for me. You are very nice to have around in both a casual and a work/prep type of way and I really hope we get more chances to team up again <3

Gray - congrats on winning a trophy in your very first team tour! I'm not gonna lie, I thought it was funny how you signed up for US South, but I remembered you haha'd my shoutouts post from SPL and I thought you sealed your fate by doing that. Fortunately our roster was initially dire and I decided to message you and I enjoyed our first talk a lot and it's been fun getting to know you. Don't worry too much about this year because you'll only get better as time goes on. I wasn't even in a playing slot until my 3rd year with the team and you already accomplished something big with that win in qualifiers. Those 4 wins in qualifier were huge because we were still a dead and unmotivated team back then, and losing there meant we wouldn't have a world cup to compete in. So you helped do something big in your first year and that alongside the trophy should make for a decent first team tour experience. We'll be looking forward to seeing how you do in the future both with us and in individuals. Good luck and don't be afraid to talk to us. We're a dysfunctional family that's capable of growing and getting the job done. That and we always have Sammy, FMG, and Bouff to tease at any time. Me as well when it comes to scribble because I can't seem to stop failing epically.

Jsaok3 - my bro, my first mentor, and the artist. Thanks for helping out this year in your own ways. I really really loved that video you made for us at the start and the fact you did it is still extremely appreciated. I really wish I could give you and Clone a trophy too, but I guess the only way to do that is to win again in the future. Most people probably don't know, but you (and technically Zamrock) were my first mentors when I joined US South in 2017. Zamrock showed me what scouting was and then I learned about fundamentals in playing while learning RBY OU with you. I love that tier a lot and I have you to thank for it. My playing abilities as a whole got better after learning RBY OU and I think you were a big part in helping me reach where I am today. So thanks for always being with me and helping out time and time again.

Clone - it was very nice getting to reunite after a few years since the ORAS OU days. We mentioned it in the chat, but seriously thank you for sticking around and helping us all season long. I'm sorry we couldn't get you on the roster this year, but the effort you put in this year won't be forgotten and I think you definitely helped a good amount with us getting the trophy in the end. I couldn't make Blaziken work this year, but next year or in SCL, we'll make it work for sure. That being said, I hope whatever SCL managers reading this give you a chance. You did a lot without being on the team, and I can only imagine how much more you'd do while actually being on the team. I'm looking forward to next year with you and whatever the future has for both of us.

Indigo Plateau - thanks for coming back near the end. I felt bad not having you since we initially joined the team together, but having a fun time with you at the end felt nostalgic and relaxing. I hope we can do at least 1 more team tour together, but otherwise, I always enjoy getting to chill with you and I hope we have more things to laugh about in the future.

Also a special thanks to Mop/Stath/Peachy/aiko/NJNP/Tobes/snaga/Skysolo/pdt/Kingler/zee for being around and chatting with us or helping with prep. I still think it's hilarious how quickly and how frequently Mop can own FV at any given time, and I enjoyed getting to work with and meet Stath for the first time. We appreciated having all of you around and hopefully we all stick around. Love you all

The following are some of the funnier moments while we were playing scribble:
Ox: I can handle any mon from gen 1
Also Ox:

Bonus with the above image is that none of us knew who picasso was because we thought it was FMG, but then another FMG showed up and we thought the 2nd FMG was Eo, but then Eo showed up.

I did not realize I got the word (Happiny) and I just kept guessing:

"Bronzong" by FMG:

The world's worst Lucario by me:

I've been forced to use this name since then:

That's all from me for now. Thank you to my teammates for the memories and effort this season and see you all in SCL!

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
Well, what a crazy ride this has been. First of all, huge congratulations to Team South, this final was legitimately a joy to watch and especially the final game - with all its drama, its twists and turns, and the final stretch - is probably one of the greatest tournament games I ever got to watch live. Absolutely emotional until the very end. Really happy for my good friends TDK and TPP, you guys are two of the genuinely nicest people on this site and two great friends, I couldn't be happier that you two get to show off the blue trophy!! Also happy for my brothers Christo and Eo Ut Mortus, glad you two carry this one home after the heartbreak that was SPL 12 as well!!

Never in my life did I imagine that one of my best team tour experiences would be in WCOP 21 of all things, but here we are. Rarely have I seen such an ambitious, hard-working, and legitimately all around skilled team. I'm really sorry I couldn't put in more time, and that my contributions to the team mostly consisted of me trying all 15 possible moves on LO Latios, but between me having very little time and not really caring about Generation 8, I think we were better off this way. You all killed it anyway, not like I had to do much. I'll say that I genuinely enjoyed watched you guys play SS over and over again, way more than I thought it would, and it probably is similar to people voicing how much they hate ORAS unless I play it in SPL lmfao...

I'd write individual shoutouts, but honestly, you guys know I absolutely love you all. Thanks for making this team tournament memorable. I'll give special mention to xray for getting me in on this experience when I really didn't want to play, being a great presence overall, and playing that insane Tiebreak game. What a legend you are. Even though you won't have the trophy to show for it, I think you can be extremely proud of how you played the decisive game of this tournament. What a show. Seriously, I'm still in awe at you somehow turning a straight up 5-6 into a 73% chance to win the trophy. Keep your head held high, you (we?) will get there next time my brother :)

Hope everyone had as much of a blast watching these finals and this entire tournament as I did. That's what we play and watch Pokemon for, after all! Even 13 years later, this game never loses its magic to me, and I think that's fascinating. See you all around!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)