Finals The World Cup of Pokémon 2018 - Finals [Won by Team US Northeast]

Status
Not open for further replies.

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
just wanna give a humongous thanks to everyone that helped and supported west across this tournament.
big thanks to dice for always being lively in chat and the amazing bw help- i wish i could have utilized your builds better but your are undoubtedly the most creative and efficient bw player on smogon
craing ;_; you will always be the best SM ou player in my eyes because of your undying creativity and passion for teambuilding, i hope you find mons to be enjoyable again and return for snake draft
undisputed your leadership, encouragement, and memes are completely unrivaled and it's always a pleasure to speak with you. thank you for sticking with us and helping val out
Mob Barley unfortunately you could not join us but your tests help a lot and your hype was always appreciated, always a fan brother
yoppie you couldn't see it yourself but west was always really hyped and excited whenever you made a post supporting us, our # 1 loyal fan. we love u bro

to the team- z0mOG thank you for stepping up and leading west when people thought we were done for. it was a huge role and u lived up to it. good luck managing snake my dude
blarghlfarghl ima yjh971203 the team definitely overly criticized you guys but understand that without your guys' wins we wouldnt have been in this spot in the first place. thank u all for stepping up when we were in a severe lack of players and proving you can play. there's always room for improvement so i can't wait to see u guys in future tours
Lavos another instrumental part to west's success. u probably don't realize how glad west was that u decided to stick with us. don't beat urself up about the tiebreak lost, it's a learning process for the entire team bro. you 6-0ing bkc brought us to that position in the first place and everything counts. grats on ur white trophy, well earned
Meru thank u for picking up rby when our team needed it, you had lots of unfortunate luck but that's what comes from playing rby in the first place. keep doing u
psychicmewtwo man uve always been the most underrated ou player to me and i don't see how other people haven't noticed ur prowess. really skilled, intelligent guy and i hope you stick it out with us next year
subs The Trap God Shiba stax ez huge clutch win for us ttg to elevate us into the tiebreak. ive been hyping u up since the beginning saying you need a chance and im really glad you showed us.
shiba, ty for constant tests and being the best cheerleader, hope to see u dominate uu in snake.
stax thank you for the support and tests.
ez-people may give you shit but you were the most active tester by far and im really grateful for those games. keep self reflecting and u will continue strong
OP Mithril op came in as a voice of reason and our scouter for the season which were extremely grateful for, thank u bro and grats on smods. mithril has been the constant mature voice and despite your activity i wouldn't replace you with any1
HUGE shoutout to god Valentine for jumping into adv and fucking dominating everyone. i think you've fr reformed no matter what your haters say, keep doing you my man

i only meant to shoutout the helpers outside of our team but ig i kept writing :shrug:

grats east, enjoy your trophy while it lasts cuz were taking it next year. GGs

EDIT: FORGOT GOAT PHILIP SOMEHOW but you were really active this year and pulled through when we really needed it, thank you man!

Last edited:
Congrats to all my friends on Northeast, especially Finchinator. A well deserved trophy for a very impressive team.

Shoutout to all my friends on West as well, sometimes things just don't go your way but you guys were one of the best surprises of the tournament and I really enjoyed watching/interacting with you guys these past weeks.

grateful to have been picked up by west management and getting the opportunity to play on the same team as a lot of good players (especially considering i hadn't played any big ou tours yet other than ost). sorry i wasn't as active as i would have liked to be but still really thankful for the opportunity and very proud of how everyone on the team performed overall. thanks for trusting me in such an important game for my wcop debut, ggs boys and hope to see u guys in snake

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
thx for the carry to the 6th ring fellas. was nice to play my bro phil in the finals.

shout out to all the new goons i met this year

obii - dandruff but i love u bro

star - tourbanned :cwl2: looks like we gotta win it again next year

teal - ur crazy bro but its been great getting to know u, ur a crazy motivated dude when you want smth and its admirable
enigmatic figure orb_jr - i was impressed by you in spl and same goes for this wcop, youre gonna be a beast one day bro

hiye - u had like 600 lines most of which were single emojis but youre a winner and there are more trophies in your future. no hard zap on the whirlpool azu next time

sabella - feel like we're long lost bros reunited by this tour, hoping to team with you more in the future. those crazy dpp sessions we had right when i returned really help me get a good feel for the season

kanto - ur a crazy lad, sucks you didnt get a chance at a W this year but hey you have 2 trophies from this year so im sure you arent too upset. get em next year man lets pack some volcarona counters

lemon - glad you see that gliscor is a viable pokemon now, the dpp ladder stands no chance

zf - youre a great adv player and builder, sure i will see many more wcop Ws from you, also youre hilarious when you decide to talk

finch - i originally forgot to shout you out cause i already knew you before this but i guess youre technically a new teammate. youre the best teammate a guy could ask for, thanks for not taking it seriously when i troll you

roscoe - youre a bitch thanks from helping me with my prep / aid in raising bkcs blood pressure

also special shoutout to legendary dave, the michael scott to my jim halpert. doesnt feel the same without you bro but ive still gotta run it out for a few seasons

also shoutouts ABR for building my semis AND finals teams with me, you've got a nice vision of the tier. other homies that helped out throughout: osgoode, sg, ToF, kev ofc, joey, blight. really appreciate it

Last edited:

teal6

is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
to some degree people conflating NE with the old East actually does bother me a little bit beyond just the memes. NE started actually with me and obii getting a burst of adrenaline when the TDs ruled the new areas and our rush to gather players. at the very start we didn't know if ABR, BKC and co would come on the team, much less ppl like Aug. we just really wanted to actually give it a go of things this time around, esp considering how much we all fucked around on Metro the year prior. that said, NE was really a fusion of the two teams (with finch too) and so i think, though this is a bit whiny, it's a little unfair to consider this later part of the season par for the course because for a lot of us it really wasn't. sure the East guys carried a ton but i gotta admit i simply wasn't used to being in tiebreak situations like that, i PMd blunder 20 turns in to ask how our MU was in that last bro fist game and he told me to stfu. that said, NE really couldn't be a better fusion of two teams, and i'm really proud to have been on it.

individual shoutouts:
im solely doing these bc bro fist said to , if it was just abr that told me i had to i probably wouldnt and would instead repost the spl 6 kael shoutout post with the names changed. i'll probably try and go in order of how many lines i think u had in the disc

zf - didn't get to talk to you a ton bro but you won big for us when it counted. be more active if you can next time, the atmosphere in the disc was great and im sure if u had the chance u'd have really enjoyed it.

Hiye - ur a fucking enigma dude. dead silent and i tried really hard to get more out of you but its tough. that said thanks for all the wins, we wouldn't have made it this far w/o them

Lemon - glad to get to know u, sorry we couldn't get you a run out this season but i hope watching abr and co prep and build and all that shit was helpful. actually tbh you probably helped in the side chats a ton i just realistically didn't look at anything aside from the general talk or the rby channel once all season.

PDC - i dont have a ton to say to u bro we have talked to eachother a ton for literally years on end at this pt. congrats on winning a trophy love u pdc

habajiga - yo im really glad you were in our chat, you came to life a lot and i got to learn more about how ambitious and smart of a person u are. to me, seeing such promising younger ppl is always great, i think u will do excellent things w/ ur life man.

aim - third time we've teamed together my dude and finally brought one home. im glad it could come together for us after that SPL and last years WCOP - you won when it mattered and are an incredible person. also you're responsible for getting me into competitive mons, which you know, but for introducing me to this hobby you'll always have my thanks.

Updated Kanto - lol every single shoutout from our team is gonna say something about you going winless but honestly dw about it. you probs dont remember but after u lost the first one u made a joke in smogtours about how you were like goku and you dont go all out at the beginning. its silly but to me that kind of attitude is a massive part in winning long term. always look forward

robjr - you're a great dude and an incredible player. for fucking months abr and tony have not shut up about you and frankly i dont watch a lot of replays if it doesn't involve me or a team i am managing and even then i saw maybe 60% of cryos games last year so i didn't know what all the fuss was about. but you really showed yet again a huge talent and i'm glad we're teammates.

bro fist - honestly in my head you're always gonna be the captain from now on. even more than in the chat, you led in-game and showed exactly how to be good at pokemon. how you stand up in such high pressure situations literally nonstop and just execute i don't know. for me, as a player, my biggest weakness is probably volatility - i'll have a lot of games as pure trash and some as pure genius. however you are a 10/10 every time you take the field, it's simply something else to watch. we're boys, so there's not a lot of "glad to meet you" stuff here, but we hadn't teamed before and now that we have i don't really wanna be on a team without you.

Finchinator - another dude i've known for too many ages. when you're not busy driving into massive brick walls you're pretty good at BW, played very well for us all season and took the game and performance seriously. you and i are both pretty strong on the "not celebrating till its fully over" thing and i was glad to have someone like that with me in the chat. ur a good man finch.

Sabella - another brother - me and you are in a similar line of work, of the same age, and just generally vibe. always glad to team with you buddy but the following is the more important thing to bring up right now:
AT 3-0 DOWN

august - lmao the least crust of all crust players. honestly had no idea if u were any good when u joined but frankly u probably had no idea about me either. actually tbh i can't tell dpp so i still can't tell if you did decently or not in this tournament but you won which is important (except in finals you lost in the most important game actually). that said, fucking christ what a bro. we're on the same wavelength w/ too much, i'm really glad to get the chance to bro out w/ u and talk shit during my workday.

BKC - really had to let it get down to john for the sake of the storyline huh. but in all seriousness you've been helping me in a lot of mons related things dating back to classic II, and even this tournament, you helped give me a lightbulb moment where i realized a major weakness in my RBY game. you indulged me in more eccentric team choices though we didn't go with them, and are simply the complete player. wouldn't have won without you.

obii - idk what else to say to you bro ilove you obii. we're boys for ages and finally got to team together on a non-metro team so we both gave a shit. i think our work really paid off, and frankly winning a trophy w/ one of ur best buds is an incredible feeling. u may be the dandruff of the team but hell we wouldn't be the same w/o u.

@starmaster - i guess i can't tag you because youre tourbanned lol. well in 3.6 years when you are free, ideally you will rejoin us and we can win again at that point. that said you're always the hugest help man. i have played in 7 team tours and you've been on my team in 5 and we're on the same team constantly in pretty much all those lower tier bogus pieces of shit. you're probably the only other player that fully "gets" me and can predict every single play i'll ever make and why i like to do certain shit in games. i've been pretty honest about not wanting to be on teams w/o you cuz i need the help when it comes to teambuilding and just general chat presence. can't wait till ur freedom.

ABR - the main man. with no question the most valuable player for any team tournament on the site. i'll take a more serious tone for a moment because i've written a lot of superlatives about you but haven't quite been able to see the team tour side that makes you so incredible. you're contribution to the team, ability to win in the most high pressure games, genius in terms of building and psychology is next to none. you'll end your time on smogon as the most winning player if you so desire i think, passing both kev and ciele (whichever metric you want to use) and i don't say that lightly whatsoever. now, all the mons stuff aside, you're probably my best bud on the site, and this is just our first time teaming up. i don't actually know if i "like" it - or rather, maybe its best we stay teammates solely on wcop, because it almost feels like cheating. you're a great guy and a perfect teammate, can't ask for anything more.

now two special shoutouts if you'll indulge me a little longer:

roscoe - you are actually a genuinenly great teammate. i gave a lot more of a shit because i didn't want to get hazed when i lost. i got angry when you'd say shit like "oh teal plays first just put it to 0-1" and shit so i tried and actually thought about the games and stuff a lot. you're funny as fuck too

pasy_g - you may not know but i keep note of a lot of the things ppl say in smogtours and stuff, and often you would cheer me on and commented that you liked the style i played RBY with. ik for a lot of people RBY can be boring, and i know that im particularly a high variance player that will sometimes let frustration or short-sightedness get the better of me and go for something flashy, but i do hope that people enjoy watching me play. having someone cheer you on that i respect as a player is a huge motivator, thanks man.

and then lastly to my opponents, peas (x2), marco (x2) metal and meru - thank you all for the incredible games. frankly in not a single series did i feel i was the definitively better player. i have for a long time looked up to both peas and marco so i feel i always learn a lot against them. meru, vs you i wanted to win one after you demolished me the last time we RBYd in the global championship, but it came down to me winning a ton of crucial ties and 5050s into a tauros crit spree so it was not the sort of match i feel comfortable with. metal, i'll probably never be able to beat you. i'm sorry peas for the time i popped off a bit after the quarters win, i do genuinely apologize, and i hope you know i consider you a brother and did not intend in any way to frustrate you.

well everyone, thank you for reading.

first of all huge thanks to the hosts and tds that made another edition of this tournament possible and for running it smoothly. u guys dont get enough thanks but deserve it

man its hard to write shoutouts cus i talk to like 90% of you dudes on a daily basis but i'll try my best to avoid the usual "haha u were a good teammate", "nice 5-1", "ur better than ur record shows" type shit

this tournament has been a wonderful experience even beyond the tour itself. we created the chat the day the new rules were announced and it was pretty easy to mesh into the atmosphere since most of us were already friends or at least knew each other on some level. before wcop even started we all talked daily from pkmn to non pkmn related stuff so on top of a team chat, it doubled as a social circle. im really happy we won but i think the experience itself was the true prize. bonding over roasting finch and... well i think thats about all we did. anyway

ABR - we've been good friends ever since we met in the olt chat and i can happily say that i consider you one of my closest friends in this community. ive been wanting to team with you for a while (tried to finesse the ruiners in spl lmao) and im glad ive finally gotten the opportunity. i know im not gonna say anything new but you might as well hear it: your approach to the game is absolutely incredible. from the prep itself to in game you're always thinking meticulously, considering every option, and finding the most optimal path. i was kinda tired of mons after spl but building sm / oras with you kinda reignited my passion for the game because it was a good learning experience, seeing how one of the best building minds works firsthand. man this kinda gay we talk everyday im just gonna end it here u know how i feel blah blah love u bro goat goat etc. ps go win olt now, that trophy color combo would be insane sex

bro fist - man just read the spl shout out i wrote LOL. we also talk every day so like idk what to say here. you're consistently amazing and literally the best player on smogon right now. won 3 in a row to make it into playoffs into being the last game of the season and finishing it there. im glad we got to win a ring together dude especially since we deserved it last time. i really hope you change your mind about snake and sign up cus watching you play is always a pleasure. snk tomorrow btw. ok look you deserve a couple more lines cus ur one of my better friends here and one of the players i respect the most so im just gonna fluff it up finch style -- actually shake style once again: JOAT merry vro bop etc

Sabella - sab my brother. we've teamed a shit ton from spl to snake to wcops. you turned up this wcop and cemented yourself as one of the better ou players ever since ppl hella underrated you back in snake. its funny how when we first met you mentioned that you didnt like me cus you associated me w like those goons and now we're bros lmao. from the ojama jerk to big sausage and what not. we've had a shit ton of great moments from talking about our women to various other things. glad i met u man and i hope we continue to remain buds for a while and can continue to team up in future tours. (maybe in snake again :eyes: )

Hiye - before the season began you promised us 1000 lines. lemme see how much you got.

ok thats not too bad LOL. youre a hard dude to get to open up but im glad you did talk at times. it was nice learning that ur a math enthusiast like myself and aug. plus, youre a beast at pkmn. stour win into 5-1 oml. it really is too easy for you. your games never got me nervous (till u clicked tbolt) bc you always seemed to be in control and dominating the opponent with smart aggressive plays. i REALLY hope you talk more about non pkmn things tho really.

Finchinator - LMAO my man carlton. im seriously impressed with how well you put up with roscoes bullying. that night where roscoe, me, aug, kev, and pdc legit tagged you like 1000 times dropping stupid jokes was so funny and you mustve been annoyed upon waking up. its hard to avoid it tho dude you invite that shit with your stories LOL. anyway, blah blah great teammate helped everyone made visuals etc you know the deal. one thing i do wanna touch on is how well you played this wcop and how good of a player you are. i'll be honest i didnt thnk you were this good till i asked u to help me test for bw cup and i got smashed like 87 times. ok maybe im just trash but you're good at makin the right calls 90% ofthe time. we hella rag on each other in public but our pms end up being gay as hell lmao. good luck in snake dude

august - wow dude, the most uncrust crust of all time. man bkc added u randomly one day and i was like FUCK. i thought you were one of those mega crust dudes aka good back then but trash now but more importantly, i was super afraid that you wouldnt fit into the team chat. fortunate surprise however, u got more lines than ME. lmao man ur one of my fav ppl i met in this tour legit. i think ive mentioned that in every server im in "august is so heat". you hella fit in and are super chill to talk with. ik we're all gonna die the moment summer ends but i hope you stick around and remain somewhat active. fantastic dpp games btw, seriously. you played near perfect each game and it shows how smart of a player you are and you're one of the outliers in the crust theory.

BKC - lmao i think youre one of the first people i talked to like my very first time joining smogon / going on smogtours. going from one of those top players in the distance to teaming with you was super cool. everyone that teamed with you said you were one of the best teammates they ever had. and they didnt lie man. your support literally everywhere was key in helping us net wins. theres this quality that certain goat players have which i'll refer to as the "goat instinct". idk what it is but ive noted it in like you, john, and ojama where they kinda just have an eye for good shit, get wins, and elevate their teams. anyway, its always fun to talk to you whether its about random stuff, michael c hall, or your love for swans. i wont flake one day i swear

Lemaitre - my boy.. i claim you as my son and take full credit for discovering you. actually starry is the one who told me to check you out and i saw that you won a stour beatin john and abr back to back so im like yo, this dude must be heat. so we gave you some tryouts and bkc was MAD for some reason lmfao. and we really liked your dedication to the game and what not so we took you in. im really glad you were on the team but i wish you got the chance to play a game and show dudes how good you are. if you signed up for snake, you'd def be a sleeper sm pick. i wish you good luck in making tour playoffs, p confident you'll make it. among other things, im glad that youre also a fashion enthusiast despite kev calling us women and you actually have good taste omg. rare to find that. you have an interesting and usually unique viewpoints on most things which often got us heated in the chat lmfao.

PDC - my man peter dalton cornellington. it was a joy to have you on the team. alright look, you know how i feel about you. we share like 3 jerks and talk regularly so im just gonna fluff up the rest with some aristotle quotes and hope no one notices: excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. persuasion is achieved by the speaker's personal character when the speech is so spoken as to make us think him credible. We believe good men more fully and more readily than others: this is true generally whatever the question is, and absolutely true where exact certainty is impossible and opinions are divided. anyway, i forgot to get back to you about that book shit but i actually started reading lincoln in the bardo by george saunders or something, its kinda heat. fuck finch btw

aim - joey dude, teaming 3 wcops in a row has been a pleasure. im glad we finally won one together after sucking ass on metro a bunch. you're a wonderful dude whos always fun to talk to and always around to offer kind and helpful advice when we bring up a serious matter. really really appreciate you playing for metro those past 2years and im glad sticking w us folks paid off this time. till the next tour brother :pimp:

teal6 - god im getting tired but uk i love you back. one of my closest bros on here. ok i guess i actually do have something to say here. i feel like youre one of the most genuine ppl ive ever met online and irl. legit. its weird. youre just a good dude man. you got this kinda aura that uplifts everyone around you and its p sick. also, youre fucking sick at pkmn. i hate watching teammates rby but your games were super entertaining. you made some fire plays and used some cool shit which is nice to see cus a lot of dudes in rby just stick w the ol reliables. love u bro, dont die any time soon. i'll need u in some years

robjr - oml the enigmatic rob. i rmbr like a lONG time ago matty told me he wanted to buy this dude in oupl named poketcg gamer 1288. i was like "who?" and he said u were interested in entering the smogon tour scene and uk me, love getting new dudes into this shit so we were down. i quickly noticed youre a really chill down to earth dude who can also make big plays (focus puncher) and was dissatisfied when east didnt take you last yr. then you hmu abt northeast and im like wait,, robs a lock for sure. highlighted abr and said yo lets get rob in here. and we did. you're a great player and a really nice guy and i hope you continue to find success in future tours. youre also one of the most trustworthy dudes and i hella respect that. keep doin you man

Updated Kanto - "ur record doesnt reflect how good u are". ok sorry but it doesnt. consider this tour a fluke. you're gonna kill whatever you end up playing next, im confident of that. beyond that, it was super nice to learn that we share a buncha interests (fashion / fortnite). tryna grind some games w the squad and become super heat. youre a weird personality bc sometimesyou just show up in the chat and say some shit and i cant tell if ur memeing or serious lmao. but its always a pleasure to have you around bro. gl w your romantic pursuits :heart:

zf - metro / durians brother. i remember when you shot me a pm saying youre down to help us out and bkc got mad (LOL nothin new). "why cant he just sign up and play with us GOD". so then i sent rajid after you and he convinced you to play with us. thank god you did cus pdc was hella dick LOOl. you played some beautiful adv games dude. its always a joy talkin w you and foolin around w gunner and pohjis. i hope you consider getting back into the scene beyond wcop bc you are seriously talented as a player and a wonderful chat presence.

Star - LOL whys your stupidass banned. whatever dude. ok forreal idk what to say here. we've teamed like 8 million times and you're one of my best friends for a while so like blah blah. you helped a shit ton etc etc blah blah and basically were part of the team. ok dude lets win this again next yr. btw ur winning slam and classic as soon as ur freed bop

roscoe -
this dude teal thinks youre still on the team btw. we should just give you a blue cus i didnt expect you to be useful at all but you actually helped and shit. that was super cool of you man and we all appreciate it. what we didnt appreciate was you rooting for the opposing team EVERY round lmfao. ok well it motivated us to win cus we were tired of seeing a :cwl: each time we lost hahaha. ok no homo but youre one of my fav chat presences and dudes to talk to. its just easy to find somethin to laugh about or find somethin enjoyable to talk about. you always liven up the chat and im really really really surprised someone didnt leave the chat over your antics. i rmbr pre season we bet finch would get mad and ban you or some shit lOL. glooks bro

habajiga - finally god im almost done. haba. my brother. thanks for the logo. you did an amazing job and i seriously appreciate how you handle it. a bunch artists wanna be left alone and do their own thing after receiving some direction but you always keep us on the loop and ask us qs about very specific details. and if we dont understand it, you help us understand. you got a weird but good sense of humor and im really glad i randomly hit you up that summer. weve been bros ever since

a brief word to the west dudes: honestly i dont think anyone expected you guys to make finals since it was commonly agreed that you guys were one of the weakest teams on paper. but you guys showed up and gave us a good fight taking it to finals tiebreak g3. i know exactly what its like to lose in that fashion (big philip knows it better than me) and it hurts a lot. dont let it bring you down tho, you guys will win it one day. not any time in the future tho cus northeast has this trophy on lock down

i also wanna briefly give props to some dudes like my brother mounts who has been insanely impressive recently, lop kicks who turned up ( i rmbr you asked me about snake last yr and i didnt take you seriously and youre a threat now. lesson learned, always give the unknown names a chance), empomilas the goat, suapah who has been pretty impressive recently (hope you do well in snake man), eternam another threat, and hayburner who played a really cool game vs thethorn. im glad you newer dudes enjoyed this tournament and hope you guys stick around and keep adding accomplishments to your name. oh s.o to pasy g too, i love you. and fv

anyway, got the blue. now its time for the green. peace out bros

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
First and foremost, good games to US West. You guys had an underrated group and you made it further than anyone on the outside believed you could. I'll quote my own writing from the team biography article: "Previously, Team West has consistently made it to the playoffs and even made some deep runs. This year, they are going to need to work even harder and perform even better (without the ghosts of the past!) in order to have similar results." You guys seemed to be weaker than the past on paper, but you proved to be even better and I have some respect for your success even if we had our clear differences throughout the course of the finals. I hope that you guys come back ready to compete again next year; I will be looking forward to it come then.

With that said, I'm really fucking happy to finally have a trophy under my belt. I have been playing this game since 2011, played in PO tournaments since 2012, and have been a staple in the Smogon tournament community since ST18, which was all the way back in late 2014 -- I think it is safe to say that I was a bit overdue. Through these years, I have been one of the most verbal advocates of the week-in-week-out grind and "tryhardery"; I put a lot of effort in to each and every official team tournament and I plan to continue this moving forward as this is a lot of fun for me, even if it may seem tedious or unnecessary to some others. It was really disappointing to me personally to fall short of playoffs by a game or two in WCOP, Snake, and SPL over the past year because of all the effort I put in and how much I cared. I knew there were so many missed opportunities and that I was capable of better. This result is definitely something I would group in the category of doing "better". Sure, it was on an absolutely stacked team, but the whole tournament's landscape was shifted to try and make this team less likely to win for fucks sake, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is at least a somewhat impressive feat nevertheless.

Of course, this win is not something that should be chalked up to personal matters either as there is no chance in hell I'd be here without some top-notch teammates and players that made-up team US Northeast. Overall, this was probably the best team tournament experience I have had thus far (or tied for best with the SPL 6 Bigs) and I am really glad that it happened precisely the way it did (yes, even including the parts where we cut it close and drove each other insane).

This environment was quite different than any other that I had been a part of. There was an emphasis on improvement from the start, pin-pointing where we may have gone wrong or could have improved in games and perhaps even toeing the line of being critical in order to enforce a no-nonsense, success oriented mindset in players. Previously, most teams that I had been on just kind of shrugged off losses or never really had such public discussions that required those who made mistakes to truly reflect. Personally, I think that having my mistakes in my second and third round one games being pointed out to me really helped me do well in the playoffs as they not only alerted me as to what to watch out for moving forward, but this also motivated me to avoid having another heated conversation of that nature, meaning I really had to get my shit together -- and I did just that.

Aside from this, we had a really close group; it felt like I was friends with every single individual in our team chat and I was entirely comfortable being myself and contributing to the team to the best of my abilities. Although I had to take a back seat to ABR, who proved to be the bigger tryhard of the two of us and the guy who pretty much ran shit, I think that being a general supporter and offering my input when possible was still plenty given the support we naturally had built-in on our roster, which is quite reassuring when compared to some teams I was previously on (no offense Central, love you dudes). ABR did a phenomenal job taking charge and our team dynamic flowed quite well, leading to our success. I will expand on more specific matters in shoutouts, so I will just use this as a segue to them now.

ABR, the man who asked us to do our shoutouts in alphabetical order who just happens to have a username that starts with AB

Easily the best teammate on Smogon right now. You had the biggest impact on our preparation and teams in general. I was wondering if you would out-do me in terms of lines and all-around impact and I think it was pretty clear from the first days of round 1 that you would do so. I admire the leadership and confidence you have in team settings like this and I think that a lot of that played into our SM success. While we do not always see eye-to-eye, I think you have done a great job at keeping a partially open mind and at least being reasonable even if you have some pretty set-in-stone beliefs, which pretty much everyone who frequents a tier forms. I could honestly go on for days about how appreciative I am of your assistance and insight from top to bottom, but I think I'll try to keep it at a minimum and say that you took every single opportunity to help and leave your mark on things, which is a lot more than pretty much anyone on any team can say out there. I know that your games did not all go ideally, but the fact that you kept your composure and never relented from your nonstop building for our SM dudes also was great, so I would not even blink an eye at the record, especially when you finished positive thanks to the clutch tiebreak performance. I also think I learned a lot from you about playing a bit more of a consistent, conservative game when the match-up is favorable or situations are under control, which is often something I struggled with in the past (my Mienshao switch against Peachy is a perfect example of that -- thankfully, I had no issues there in playoffs after we talked a few things out and I reflected). Overall, your influence was not only welcome in BW, but it was appreciated. You deserve a ton of credit for this win and I am glad that we came away with this. Hopefully we can team again sometime soon, but regardless of that I am very much looking forward to what you come up with over the next few months, specifically in SM.
ps: BW Gliscor is the future oml.

aim, the only married man with multiple undefeated WCOPs

You had a lot on your plate with the whole wedding into honeymoon combined with normal YouTube commitments and playing five million different formats, but you still made time to chime in when you could and came in clutch when we needed you most, which I think we all agree was one of the turning-points in our comeback. While your game was far from squeaky clean, you made the plays you needed to down the stretch to bring it home after clicking Earth Power into a Gliscor with a Heatran, so I got mad respect for you of course. All things considered, you are a real nice dude who got us a big win and hung around when we needed you, so this is just about all anyone can ask imo. Thanks for everything and it was a pleasure to finally get to team with you after all these years we have both been around. I'll still always be a fan of the channel!

august, the alpha voiced Moltres summoner, secret SM boss

I was telling this to ABR, John, and Kev back during quarterfinals when we met up about how surprised I was about you. I always liked you as a dude and a player, but coming in I was worried that you would be an activity risk and kind of washed. It turned out that not only were you one of our most active dudes in the chat, but you also came to play with some of the better DPPers in the field, which really impressed me. Pretty much every night you were a big presence in what may have been the most enjoyable team chat I have been a part of yet and it has been really cool getting to know you and team with you here. I hope that you stick around for next WCOP because the adventures of Carlton are just getting started of course and I also wanna see you continue to assert your alpha dominance over the DPP field, too.
ps: I'll never forget that Moltres suggestion that may very well have saved the tournament. Once a stall mind, always a stall mind.

BKC, the man who lost to Lax in finals tiebreak

Jokes aside, you were a phenomenal teammate and I couldn't ask for anything more out of someone to discuss BW stuff with. I was a bit uncertain coming in because I worried I might lose my identity as a player or be kind of forced in to using specific stuff, but quite on the contrary you had a really open mind and helped me find the right thing to use vs each opponent given ideas we discussed, which was a great fit for me I feel. You pretty much did this for every generation (even some SM), too, which is really what makes your presence unique. I don't know a single person out there that has such widespread teambuilding competencies as you, let alone actual gameplay abilities throughout each generations at such a consistent level. Despite the loss in finals, your GSC is clearly top-of-the-line and just seeing your play in those few first games was pretty special to me. While the BW tiebreaker was not exactly ideal, this was hardly your fault given the circumstances and I think we can both agree that this cheese spamming shit in BW fucking absurd. It was also really cool meeting up with you and the others a few times, especially when we mapped some shit out in quarters as that gave me a lot of confidence going in. Dinner is still on me assuming we meet up again and it is after my vacation, but only if you stay unbanned until then! I'm looking forward to (hopefully) improving BW with you and seeing how the metagame evolves moving forward, but for now: thanks for all of the support this WCOP and I'm looking forward to doing it all again moving forward!

bro fist, the guy who literally never lost when it mattered

As great as ABR was a teammate and teambuilder this tournament, you were just as good, if not better, a pilot. Your gameplay in general has been fantastic all year, from SPL to now, and I am glad that I have had a front-row seat to witness it all. Thankfully, your efforts are finally rewarded after a bitter end to SPL and I think it is safe to say you earned it considering you went 3-0 in tiebreaks this tour, making you 8-0 overall which is fucking filthy. I don't really have a ton to say in terms of other stuff -- (yea, I used it) you're someone I consider a friend and it's always chill to talk over stuff with you and have you on teams, so I'm glad that we won together here. Thanks for the kind words after my playoff games and being a really composed, understanding manager all tournament. Good luck moving forward, Snake or not.

Hiye, the man of many wins and few words

You were pretty quiet as Obii outlined, but you won your first five games in pretty impressive fashion and I was glad to see you do so well. I know we are not too close, but whenever you spoke in the chat you seemed hella friendly and I was glad to have you around. I hope you can sustain your success moving forward and I think that you getting multiple trophies within the span of a year is really impressive. Keep up the grind and make sure to keep cycling through Togedemaru avatars bro!

Lemaitre, the LO Tornadus-T and Azumarill wielding fiend who was too much for ABR to tame

Really big fan of yours, actually. You helped as much as you could in ORAS and DPP despite seeing no playing time and I got mad respect for that. I'm sorry you didn't get any games, but I think we are all glad that the end result was what it was, so I think we can take it and be content here. You were a breath of fresh air overall -- never been in a big, official team tournament like this and showed some unique perspectives that opened up some alleys of thought for our dudes. You also were always there to help test and discuss life matters, which was chill, too. I got mad respect for you and I hope you do make STour playoffs and strive for more success moving forward, lgi bro! Hmu for battlers sometime fr, usually down when not busy.

obii, the dude who literally did not come outside when we were on his fucking block

We give you all kinds of mad shit, but I legitimately do not think we would be here or even close to here without you and I am dead serious when I say that. You are easily one of my favorite people to talk to on here and on top of being a class act, you're also a top-notch teammate. While your theory and insights may be a bit above your level of play at the moment, I still think you're a workable option as a player and your metagame knowledge and help on that front is at a level that happened to be quite helpful to us. I know you struggled vs me in BW sometimes, but our games helped me a bit (beyond just stupid free confidence, they made me notice how to play a lot of MUs specifically) and I appreciated you being able to lend a hand just about whenever I needed one. You deserved this trophy as much as anyone and I am really glad we got it together here after all that anxiety and restlessness leading up to the last few days. Hopefully we can do it all again sometimes and good luck with Snake as well friend!
ps: no more flake comments rn bc I'm feeling nice, but you ain't safe for good.

PDC, the 4'11 scrawny white social justice warrior every team needs that I may beat up next semester irl

You were kind of quiet overall, but you helped with ADV stuff and never hesitated to leave a comment on anything else you noticed, specifically with regards to some BW stuff. I know you would've liked to do better in your own games, but luck kinda fucked you up in the M Dragon game and ZF was a legitimate ADV threat, so I think the situation panned out well overall. With this said, I still view you as a very startable player and I hope you get more opportunities moving forward if you elect to keep playing. Regardless of that, it's really cool to get a trophy with someone I know from IRL and I'm looking forward to seeing you again this coming semester. Hopefully Marcop doesn't murk us though lmao.
ps: nice YouTube videos bro, I dig the situational analysis applied to Smogon/competitive pokemon fundamental concepts fr. think your brand and ideology is becoming unique and you're giving yourself a niche as a pokemon YouTuber now

robjr, the fresh blood that clutched in semis

Really big fan of yours, even if your finals game did not go according to plan. I think you are ridiculously solid as a player and you also know what is going on as opposed to just being a team drone which some may think you are for whatever reason. Your ideas and execution were a nice change of pace in the semi-finals and I am really interested to see how you do in the future, especially after your successful SPL campaign and this WCOP win. I hope we can stick and touch and team together again sometime soon because I think there is a good chance you have some stand-out performances, enigmatic robjr.

Sabella, the only man to exist that is actually shorter than ABR, but still manages to swing his dick out like a grown man come game time

Bro you are out there as shit, but I dig the fact that you're so real -- Smogon needs way more of your types tbh. I know things did not go ideally in terms of getting to play down the stretch, but we had a lot of great options and just about anywhere else you'd be a top end starter, so I do not think you minded all too much considering we won it all at the end. Regardless of that, you never gave up on helping out and being a consistently helpful presence and I think that is really telling of how great a teammate you are. After you helped out with Bigs, I knew I wanted to team with you and I'm glad we got the chance here. Hopefully we can do so again sometime soon and keep up the positive results, but you're always welcome to hmu for BW or SM stuff -- been a pleasure working with you and playing around thus far.

teal6, the guy who I worry might suffer from alcohol poisoning at LEAST twice each week yet still manages to make more than the rest of the roster combined

You're fucking crazy and if you played half our fucking games you'd have lost on the spot, but it's fucking hilarious because come your actual games, you're making all the right calls when those type of plays come up and I was mad impressed at some of your instinctual reads and your short-term game. This is not to say your long-term game is lacking either, as it most definitely is not and I think you showed that a ton, especially against Peasounay. Overall, you're a good player and an even better presence. I find your stories and drunken ramblings to be quite funny and obviously you're a stand-up dude who I respect and look to as a friend, artist badge or not. I hope you keep on playing and I look forward to teaming again sometime!

Updated Kanto, the kekker who lost to match-up moth

Your record obviously was not ideal for you or the team, but I still think you're one hell of a player and SPL showed that off. Keep going and you will return to your previous levels of success I'm sure. It has been good working with you nevertheless, in this tour and through watching you start off POCL strong in BW. I'm glad we had you on board and you got your first trophy man, hope it feels as great to you as it does me lmao. Let's win POCL now.

zf, the non-banned LCer who can double as an ADVer when needed

We've been tight for a minute, but never really got to team in this sort of setting before, so it was really cool to have you on the roster. I knew you could play some mean ADV, but this was quite impressive to me, to see you win multiple important games when shit was on the line. I am glad we both got trophies together here and I think that if you keep playing old generations, esp ADV and BW, you will have some prolonged success. I know you're on the quiet side in the team chat, but your PMs with insights on BW stuff also were quite helpful and I thank you for that. Great wins man, especially to get us started in finals after the rough start.

---

star, the banned LCer who we will carry to a trophy next year

Sucks that you couldn't actually play or be on the roster, but you were one hell of a "teammate" nevertheless and I think we all are going to go ham to make sure you got what we got this past year come next year. It doesn't take a Cornell education to know you clearly are solid at this game and a number of generations in this tour, so I'm looking forward to seeing you play come then, but I am also glad that we had you at our disposal this season for a ton of testing and theory that all were quite helpful. Thanks for everything, I really appreciate it. Also, return Kev's gameboy ffs.

Roscoe, the Chris Bosh of Smogon

I know that pretty much all of our interactions is pure clowning around, but you're a real one and I hope you know that. We'll fuck around until shit actually starts to get offensive LMAO but I was glad to have you in the chat as it kept things interesting and really eliminated dull moments sometimes. Hope to see your ass playing again sometime soon though because you seem hella lousy rn compared to Carlton the great WCOP champion.

habajiga, the fire ass artist

I know you were in-and-out all season, but your logo and art work for us was really appreciated. Thanks for everything friend and hmu if you ever need anything!

Eo, Ayevon, Posho, and whoever else I showed teams to/tested with
Huge thanks for all of the help. Glad to have supportive friends who can be constructive with me and I personally benefited from my interactions with each of you. Never hesitate to hmu to return the favor moving forward!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)