Finals The World Cup of Pokemon IV - Finals! [Won by Oceania]

Status
Not open for further replies.
great tournament. congrats OCN for winning and Asia for managing to get into the finals and gaining the upper hand from the beginning.

I think it would be a good idea to make an article on The Smog about this turnament. What do you think?

Shurtugal's comment reminds me, I think it'd be cool if we made the world cup final into a series of warstories, posted in chronological order. Of course, that would mean that at least one person from each battle would have to make the effort to do so (the winners?) but I reckon it'd be a cool idea nonetheless.
It'll have to be the winners, cos I played so badly in that piece of shit I didn't even save a log. :P

I don't have much to say. Sorry team. I was at a pretty big team disadvantage but I lost my cool shortly after the beginning of the match and that's when I lost. A novice mistake for sure. Considering how EW and I played EW definitely deserved to win. GGs everyone and thanks for hosting this tournament each year, Shiv and Jackal. Shiv, I'm glad you contacted me on facebook for this tournament. It was fun to get back into pokemon for the summer. I realize I already said this but: sorry team. You guys definitely deserved to win again.

we already talked, but no one on our team is disappointed. There's no way we could've gotten to this point without your A+ performance throughout, and like I said, we wouldn't have anyone else playing the tiebreaker besides you, bro. Win or lose.

Of course I am disappointed that we lost, but we had a shot to win the whole enchilada, which exceeded everyone's expectations for our squad this year.
So no regrets really, i'm proud of everyone on our team for hanging in there and giving us a shot to repeat!

Anyway congrats EW for making a big case for himself in the top 5 DPP pokemon players with a big win, and congrats Oceania. You all definitely deserved to win this one.

see ya'll next year!

When people say "unlucky Asia" I have to think they are correct considering the last two matches we lost were entirely on team match-up. You can say "MVP Earthworm" but I'm pretty sure any member of Oceania could've played to a win in the conditions that were created. I'm not sure if the team match-ups were just a coincidence or if EW purposefully churns out flawed teams that only have an advantage versus his opponent's teams (the night before the match!!). Either way I think this is a flaw of dpp when that can happen twice in a row. Especially, in finals of a huge tournament like this when each player is experienced to enough to bring a varied team that can stand up to most things. To have all 6 of your pokemon perfectly countered and then for it to happen again shortly after, is really unfortunate for team Asia. I suppose it's nice for everyone else that Asia lost and I imagine I sound like a sore loser but I've slept on the idea and I'm pretty sure our loss can be attributed to being perfectly counter-teamed. Whether it was coincidence or not I'm not sure. I have my evidence favoring the latter but regardless I just feel like it was a shitty conclusion to a tournament that had some pretty great matches early on.

Sorry if this offends anyone but I've talked to a lot of people and considered the situation for a while before posting. I don't mean to say anything like: Ocn didn't deserve to win, EW is a terrible player, etc. so please don't put words in my mouth.

I suppose what I meant to say was something like: "Yo, Oceania. I'm really happy for you, I'm going to let you finish, but Asia had one of the best performances of all time.'

The log is here (coloured by jumpluff). I don't think my teams were flawed (they have weaknesses but that's basically 'normal' for this generation and it isn't like they're impossible to play around) and I didn't have any information on either of my opponents' teams before the matches, so the team advantages I had should be seen as coincidental. There isn't much else I can say on that, I just want to make sure people don't think I cheated the wins, because I don't endorse or involve myself with counter-teaming.

Congratulations Oceania, glad to see another victor. Well done to Asia too for another typical stellar performance. Finally, thank you to Shiv & Jackal for hosting such a great tournament, I am glad to have signed up!

Awesome job EW, always knew you had it in you =D

Unlucky husk, managing to keep a clean sheet until the grand final, it's pretty hard going.

would just like to say that the stupid 'omg metagamed' rumour floating around is petty and disgusting. ew and i are making an rmt of the team we've been using, which he used vs. dawnbringer. the team he used vs. husk is very similar in structure, just with different pokémon. obviously, he would change his team at least a little. and the two set-up sweepers are exactly the same: bulky wish cm jirachi with psychic/tbolt and jolly LO sd lucario with cc/xspe/crunch. lucky matchup. trust me, i'd know if he'd counterteamed. also i've heard stupid evidence like 'he predicted metagross coming in'. he wanted to paralyse husks jira, not the gross, which he had no idea was coming. can everyone just stop being ridiculous? this tournament has been plagued with drama in the thinly-veiled 'trash-talking' format this year and it's depressing.

yeah, these were disappointing matches, i fully agree, even for someone who wanted ew to win. thats not ew's fault or the fault of anyone on oceania. i know some people dont believe dppt hinges on team matchups but there's a huge emphasis on them whether you like it or not, especially for offensively-oriented teams.

also whoever decided to scout husk is just as petty.

gg oceania, asia, and every other team.

ps i like everyone on team azn, no hard feelings meant in this post<3 im just sick of this crap and i dont blame people for thinking it, i just think its stupid and esp. needs to stay out of the thread.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Of course asia were unlucky, it came down to 5-4 in the end. Nobody ever wins a pokemon battle without some luck..

Also EW was the one who built the teams that had the good matchups, so while maybe we could have played to a win in those situations, we wouldn't have been in those situations.. Fact is he played magnificently throughout this tournament and well deserves the mvp tag.

Have a nice day.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
well we know for a fact that husk's first team was scouted and then husk's test battle with his second team on cap server was seen by duskie (the same kid who told LoveDestiny part of my team), a guy with the alt "duh" and 2 other guys, all of whom logged onto to cap to "watch" husk's battle and then promptly signed off.

so in light of this new information and the extraordinarily supreme team matchup advantage ew coincidentally had...

yea great games oceania ^__^

well we know for a fact that husk's first team was scouted and then husk's test battle with his second team on cap server was seen by duskie (the same kid who told LoveDestiny part of my team), a guy with the alt "duh" and 2 other guys, all of whom logged onto to cap to "watch" husk's battle and then promptly signed off.

so in light of this new information and the extraordinarily supreme team matchup advantage ew coincidentally had...

yea great games oceania ^__^
and it's ew's fault because a couple of guys decided it was a good idea to scout lol

in any case ew never received the information and he made his team himself.

anyway i'm happy this bullshit is over now can we all be good sports

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Man Aldaron, lovedestiny had the team he used against you for a solid month before he battled you, he made it and tested it against all of US West while we were waiting on who he would battle. Yeah, you had a bad team match up but his team was already set in stone...he just happened to have an anti lead that countered your lead perfectly...and that lead was actually developed for Phil's team originally! I personally made the spread and everything just to have the ttar beat roserade...and you just happened to lead with roserade. I really wish you'd let it go, you've brought this up several times now. Also, around that time I've heard several talks that you were trying to counter team lovedestiny!

Also, duskie and EW are not especially close at all, lol, duskie has even quit mons besides LNT and doesn't go on irc any more. I have never even seen the two interact!

Can't we just chalk it up to "EW is amazing" and call it a day? All this talk of counter teaming is getting ridiculous....

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, I'm going to ignore billymills because he is...well billymills.

To respond to jumpluff: consider this post http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2206405&postcount=438

Clearly, before this highly suspicious information was revealed to me, I was not only a good sport, but I ignored my only suspicions of unusually beneficial team matchup and posted a congratulations.

So, in light of the fact that husk's second team was scouted by a guy who already scouted previously in this tournament (duskie) and by duh (who is atticus, who also scouted me, claimed he would not reveal my team, only to have lovedestiny predict the unusual facets of my team. btw, this duh character "acted" like a noob on cap and challenged husk after his second match to a no clauses match where duh used an all uber team...all the while not telling anyone that he was atticus), all AFTER husk's first team was ALREADY scouted...how can you have the gall to both put words in my mouth (I never said it was ew's fault; the fact that you said "so it is ew's fault" after directly quoting me is enough for me to assume you are saying I am) and then claim I am being a poor sport (or at least not a good sport) by simply revealing that relevant information after I clearly wished oceania congratulations before learning about this?

I guess it's convenient for you to pull the "poor sport" card and completely ignore the direct example of me being a good sport right after the match...but you didn't actually think I would let you get away with that did you?!

i know you were a good sport. i read that post myself. currently, you are being a bad sport.

that's all i have to say in this thread in responds to this issue anymore, unless some new accusation should come to light.

also i apologise for 'putting words in your mouth', although i stand by my point that it does sound accusatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)