Finals The World Cup of Pokemon V - Finals [Won by Oceania]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
The Metro members of Team Brown should reconsider going back to their roots next year. We had a good team last year.

Congrats Oceania.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
We could say the same! A little optimistic determination and teamwork goes a long way!
How is the defending champion not a contender? Your team was basically the same. lol

I personally think you had the best roster this year with the most depth. You guys just didn't perform as well as you could have.
We had depth, but not as much ace power as last year. Losing august and Twist of Fate hurt.

I'm saying that we had troubles making out the group stages, not saying that we weren't a contender. We had to take it to tiebreakers, which in all honesty, we got lucky in. Does that mean we weren't contenders? Of course not, but we all had to step it up. I just don't understand how metro weren't contenders due to your 1st round performance that's all.

We weren't serious contenders this year, though. It was hard enough making it out of the group stage. lol
There are many factors of the game that involve luck. Not only luck in the game but also match-ups in the group stage. Thus, it's impossible to conclude which team performed the best just by close statistics. The Metro team this year was alright imo. Better luck next year.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Beat gmax and I felt like I played as well as I have since advance.. I am really pleased about that. Thanks for the incredible team pana!

Have a nice day.

Just got back from orientation to find this...

Congratulations to Oceania! husk deserves a congratulations as well for having an awesome wcop run!

We had depth, but not as much ace power as last year. Losing august and Twist of Fate hurt.
to be fair you didnt lose august, he was sitting as your 4th stringer the entire time :(

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SPEECH! SPEECH! SPEECH!

It has been a long wait for Oceania. Last year they won the whole thing, and they got no speech. This year they won again and... I still haven't delievered. I know they have been eagerly waiting for it, watching the clock... tick, tock...

tick tock...

Wake up in the morning feeling like Blue Kirby
Grab my dex, I'm logged on Shoddy gonna mash these brownies
Before I leave, check my team in a land called #ocn
Cause when the battle is done, brown gonna need some lotion

I'm talkin' bout stompin US West (West)
They think they are the best (best)
But they scrubs just like the rest (rest)
We got super sub Frizy'
And wily old Hipmonlee
Yea West just got they ass beat...

Don't stop, you're on top, won another World Cup
Tonight, had to fight, but the sharks got bite.
TiK ToK on the clock but the winning don't stop no
Oh Oh Oh Ohhh, Oh Oh Oh Ohhh (x2)

Ain't got a care in the world, cause we got panamaxis
Latinos got no chance, they gonna need some practice
And all the noobs are linin' up cause they hear we got Earthworm
But we kick'em to the curb unless they look like jumpluff (xD!!)

I'm talkin' bout strong new user Heist-y
Who is really rather fiesty
In battle he ain't so nice, b
Now now they tried to knock us out (out)
but Stallion shut them down (down)
Stallion shut them down (down)
Stal-Stal shut them down

BK built his team
They're built to ream
nagai and puggy
Yeah you got them
With your heads up
The_Chaser's stuff
Kay Oh Tee Dubs
Kay Oh Tee Dubs... (x2)

You know the party don't start till the makiri curse...

Congrats Oceania on yet another World Cup win, wear those Blue Trophies with pride for one more year :)

I could not have asked for a better Captain in Blue_Kirny and it sucks to see him retiring from smogon, but rest assured you are going out on top! I hope that you somehow find a way to lead this squad again next year buddy, you are the heart and soul!

As for the guys, not much more can be said that hasn't already been spoken... you guys work together better than any other team, take pride in helping each other with pocket monster teams and have an incredible resolve to win. Earthworm did the tiebreakers, but as BK said, it could have been many of you. A balanced attack if I have ever seen one.

I guess that is all for this year's edition of the World Cup. Hope to see you all again next year where hopefully someone can dethrone these guys. jeez we don't need another asia...

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
We may have had to wait a little while for Jackal's speech, but I think it was worth it. :)

Another year, another Oceanic victory. What can I say? Well, as it turns out, more than you might think. I have not only a fantastic team to thank, but also a band of mostly unsung supporters (which seemed to grow as the tournament went on!)

So, let's start with the team.

---

Earthworm - Oh man, have you managed to pull us out of some tight spots over the last couple of years. (That's what she said?) I'm glad we were finally able to find a team game where betrayals weren't an option. ;)

Frizy - One of our up and coming stars. You heard it hear first - true story.

Heist - Severely underrated as it turned out, but I'd like to think we turned that to our advantage. Maybe now you'll start getting the props you deserve.

Hipmonlee - Another old favourite. Also you're a favourite on the team too. ;) It's been an honour sir co-captain.

KnightoftheWind - You did a good job subbing in during the qualifying round, so keep it up! Also, it was refreshing to see such a diehard Oceania supporter before I'd picked the squad. :)

makiri -Sorry you never ended up getting any game time, but you still ended up being pretty important with the execution of the makiri curse! Very well played too - made us get lose just enough so it seemed convincing, but in reality we both know these guys never stood a chance. ;)

nagai - I'm not sure if you guys know this but nagai talks so much. And I'm really glad you do, #ocn really benefited from your presence. And hey, you came through in the last round just like you said you would!

panamaxis - Young Doctor panamaxis. Thanks for sticking around even though you're becoming more and more busy with your studies, we couldn't have done it again without you!

Stallion - You may have been out of OU for a while, but it turned out that given a little polish you were better than ever. TOTALLY CALLED IT!!

The_Chaser - Glad we could get you a trophy after you came so close in SPL. If you're not already worried about facing The_Chaser in battle some day, then you obviously haven't seen him play yet!

the_pugilist - Where the confidence at? I wouldn't have picked you for the squad if I didn't think you had the goods. Just gotta trust yourself a bit more and you'll be out there kicking ass like there's no tomorrow!

---

And hey, #ocn definitely wouldn't have been the same without all of the activity going on from people who weren't necessarily playing for us. This victory goes just as much out to you guys, although I'd imagine a handful of you would've preferred the victory to go out to the team you were actually on for a few reasons. :P

So, big props to alex, Atticus, billymills, DaPlayaFlow, GoldenSun, Gouki, ILoveLiza, jumpluff, Mekkah, Nightmare_XZ, omegaphoenix, Philip7086, Thorns and whistle. It meant a lot guys! If I forgot to give you props it's because you suI managed to forget, so apologies in advance if that's the case.

I'd have included you in that list too Jackal, but then it would odd to talk about you down here. I'm sure Shiv was also supporting us deep down as well. Anyway, I can't thank you guys enough for a great World Cup V, but the Pokemon World Cups in general. They have marked easily some of my favourite times on Smogon, and I won't be forgetting them any time soon.

Finally, thanks to everyone who competed for making this such a close competition!

As you know (or are just about to find out), I've reached just about the end of my time on Smogon - there are a few loose ends for me to tie up but that'll be it. It's been a hell of a ride, but it's time for me to pursue projects of my own now. You all have my thanks and warmest wishmkres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)