Not open for further replies.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 Def / 12 SpD
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Chansey. The pink blob that can wall the 90% of the Special Attacking metagame without breaking a sweat. This thing here will be my submission for this thread and I really hope it won't be a bad one.

So, for starters. The most strongest weapon on their arsenal to hit Chansey for considerable damage is Psyshock, but. Since Lele lacks the extra boost in strength (or intelligence?) that the Specs set gave her, Chansey becomes completely able to tank a hit from it and cripple Lele back in the form of Toxic, then Soft-Boiling until the terrain disappears or Lele herself is switched out to something else (or until Chansey gets crit, but let's ignore that for now~). There's also Lele's Z, but that deals pretty much the same that Psyshock does, so Chansey can easily eat it up and then use Soft-Boiled to get herself way back to full health again. Of course, all this strategy is being built on the base that Chansey is at full health and that the attack it absorbed wasn't a Psyshock, otherwise the strategy changes to using Soft-Boiled until the terrain disappears and/or Lele switches out.

Zam gets completely walled by the pink blob, either in or outside terrain, so I didn't feel the need to go too in-depth with it. Sorry mate! (You just switch into any of its moves and let out a stray Toxic or Toss into anything that decides to come in. You can choose to go for Rocks, too, if they aren't up yet).

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 261-307 (37.1 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 174-205 (24.7 - 29.2%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 262-310 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psychic vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 177-208 (25.2 - 29.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psychic vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 118-139 (16.8 - 19.8%) -- guaranteed 6HKO
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Focus Blast vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 208-246 (29.6 - 35%) -- 15% chance to 3HKO

Last edited:
Just to say we had lots of great checks this week! It was hard to pick highlights, but here’s what I identified below.

Highlights
Tapu Bulu
- Lots of strong Assault Vest users were identified, however Bulu stood out to me, as it is the only one which isn’t very prone to getting worn down over the match, thanks to Grassy Terrain and Horn Leech. mellowyellowhd
Greninja - This is a fairly creative set that not only easily shreds the core but also has uses in a number of strong matchups, Scarf Greninja is a somewhat underrated threat at the moment. HCJB

Creativity
Reuniclus
- Great spot, though I couldn’t highlight it, due to it really requiring a Calm Mind to already be set to take the core on, this is a highly underrated pick in OU. PrideMustang
Muk-Alola - While the competition for Assault Vest users is very fierce in OU, Muk carves a good niche by being the only effective user of Pursuit in this category, it also can annoy teams with Poison Touch and generally has good matchup against a lot of Specially inclined threats. A

Not Archived
Mew
- Feel free to correct me in PM's, as I've not seen this used in practice. I love the creativity you've brought, unfortunately to me this looks just a little bit too catered to the core, as you said its pretty much the Mega Latias set, however Latias has the natural SpAtk and SpDef to back this up, which gives the breathing room to invest in speed, Mew lacks the stats when trying to take advantage of this set, and the trade-off for the typing is not optimal outside of this core. As I said I'm open to debate on this one.Astoria

Week 3 Core - Mega Medicham + Ash-Greninja

Another offensive core this week to balance the archive. Bulky Offense and Balance teams are all the rage right now and to this there is arguably no bigger threat than Mega-Medicham. With access to Huge Power Medicham is an extremely powerful wallbreaker, it has great STAB moves in High Jump Kick and Zen Headbutt, access to priority with Fake Out/Bullet Punch, alongside great coverage like Thunder and Ice Punch. Ash-Greninja forms a great core with Medicham for a number of reasons, being able to hit and outspeed offensive answers, and appreciating the removal of walls like Assualt Vest Tapu Bulu and Chansey.

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

As always, all postings are appreciated! But please, only post OU viable Pokémon and do not post sets specifically catered to this core, your threat should not be complete deadweight against teams that do not feature MediNinja.

At the end of the week I will archive viable threats, post a new core and highlight threats that are particularly creative or effective! I'll also try and explain why I didn't include any threats in the archive, if applicable.​

Last edited:
Choice Scarf Tapu Lele

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power Fire
- Nature Madness / Aromatherapy

Pretty straightforward to be honest. Lele can't switch into none of them because it gonna take a ton of damage, but, it can revenge both with Moonblast. Also, a good shit about it, is the fact that Psychic Terrain takes away both priority moves of the listed mons, making even more threatening for them. I decided to add Nature Madness as a 4th move because this core is mainly seen in BO archetypes, where their main switch-in to Tapu Lele is AV Magearna, and getting a nice 50% off it for free is pretty nice, this is because I'm considering M-Medicham and Ash-Ninja gonna switch out almost for sure, so the AV Magearna will find herself worn down pretty fast. And all we know that a Scarf Lele with the correct team support can sweep, not being deadweight in almost no MU barring full stall.

252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Medicham-Mega: 356-422 (136.3 - 161.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja-Ash: 410-486 (143.8 - 170.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Waterium Z Keldeo
ED699779-9FFF-4FE5-B842-F5F347454076.png

Keldeo-Resolute @ Waterium Z
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
Keldeo can switch into Ash Greninja and OHKO it with Secret Sword. Keldeo also out speeds Medicham and OHKOs with Hydro Vortex.

Last edited:
Reserving Mega Pinsir
Edit: Wait why did I reserve this lol
Reseving Latios

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Probably many ways to approach this, but I'm just going to go simple with the faster and Ohkos both after rocks or slight chip without being weak to either priority. Of course it can't switch in, but then again not much can switch in either. It still manages to Ohko both with Draco Meteor as well.
252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Medicham-Mega: 244-288 (93.4 - 110.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja-Ash: 282-333 (98.9 - 116.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly considered a number of approaches to this round from scarf latias to setup mons like Flyinium Gyara or the type-shifting Mega Gyara and even to something jank like Colbur Reun (putting those out there as options for others), but I’m gonna go with the a simple “naturally outspeeds both and has faster priority” approach.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch / Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Mega Lopunny poses as a threat to this core for a few reasons. It’s faster than both and can one-shot both with Return after the damage from Fake Out. Or some kind of rough equivalent prior damage. It’s able to disrupt Water Shuriken with Fake Out, avoids damage after a double down by having a faster Fake Out than Medicham, and can use its passable bulk to take a priority hit from both reasonably comfortably if it has to. You can also run, like, dual prio or something to mess with them both even harder, but generally PuP or Ice Punch is better on Fake Out variants in this meta IMO.

Last edited:
Double Dance Yache Zygarde

Zygarde @ Yache berry
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 160 HP / 216 Atk / 28 SpD / 104 Spe OR 136 HP / 208 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Coil / Protect

Zygarde has the bulk to eat fake out for breakfeast while out-prioritizing water shuriken with espeed, and will then OHKO both with a +1 thousand arrows after minimal chip damage. This set can either set up on medi's Ice Punch or set up on something it forces out then coil on Medicham for an extra weak ice punch. It'll even potentially tank pre-ash gren's water shuriken if needed.

You could, of course, give it the standard Iapapa berry over the Yache berry if you're confident you can get a coil up before medicham ice punches zygarde, or have screens/veil support, but this can be fairly risky. As for the EV spreads, the first one is standard while the second one is built to be exactly one point faster than ash gren after a DD and retains enough attack to OHKO with espeed after rocks and a spike.

If you still want to avoid medicham's fake out rather than attempt to tank it you can run protect over coil. In this situation you definitely don't want the Iapapa berry as you can't coil on the switch to stop Ice Punch from ohkoing.

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Water Shuriken (20 BP) (3 hits) vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 174-210 (44.5 - 53.7%) -- approx. 29.7% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Water Shuriken (20 BP) (3 hits) vs. 160 HP / 28 SpD Zygarde: 171-201 (43 - 50.6%) -- approx. 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Water Shuriken (15 BP) (3 hits) vs. 160 HP / 28 SpD Zygarde: 99-117 (24.9 - 29.4%) -- approx. 100% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Water Shuriken (15 BP) (3 hits) vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 99-120 (25.3 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 160 HP / 28 SpD Zygarde: 307-363 (77.3 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 160 HP / 28 SpD Zygarde: 232-274 (58.4 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 238-282 (60.8 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 318-375 (81.3 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 208+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Medicham-Mega: 222-262 (85 - 100.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 208+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja-Ash: 270-318 (94.7 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 208+ Atk Zygarde Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja-Ash: 160-189 (56.1 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 208+ Atk Zygarde Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja-Ash: 213-251 (74.7 - 88%) -- 6.3% guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of spikes

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Fake Out vs. 136 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 62-74 (15.8 - 18.9%) -- possible 6HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Fake Out vs. +1 136 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 42-50 (10.7 - 12.7%) -- possible 8HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Ice Punch vs. +1 136 HP / 0 Def Yache Berry Zygarde: 156-184 (39.8 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Ice Punch vs. 136 HP / 0 Def Yache Berry Zygarde: 232-274 (59.3 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 136 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 300-354 (76.7 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. +1 136 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 201-237 (51.4 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Ice Punch vs. +1 136 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 312-368 (79.7 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
Ability: Reckless
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Staraptor, despite not being on the viability ranking (yet), is quite the unexpected menace against this undoubtedly powerful core (under the right circumstances).

The best moment for the Raptor to come is to revenge a fallen Pokemon, and with a duo like this one, there will be plenty of possibilities to do so. The catch in those situations, however, is that switching into this bird's moves isn't something that many Pokemon greatly appreciate - especially if its best counters were either successfully chipped or even KO'd. Additionally, the fact that they might feel confident enough on their Gren's speed might even doom some if they fail to realise the true nature of Raptor's item, taking a Brave Bird to the face if it wasn't locked into Shuriken (not that it would kill, but that plus Medi's Fake Out is a guaranteed KO).

Probably not the best way to counter those two, but I honestly couldn't think of anything else and I've found myself having quite a fun time with Raptor as of lately, so I told myself: "Why not?"

Reserving Cosmic Power Clefable

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Moonblast
- Stored Power
- Soft-Boiled

Moonblast threatens to OHKO both pokemon, meaning it's not hard to get boosts up, especially if you can bring it in on a fake out or a dark pulse / spikes. Once you get a boost, nothing will kill except a crit / 2 Hydros from Ash Gren. Get to +2, Medi does pitiful damage and you can just about stomach 2 Pumps from Ash Gren and you can get up to +6 and sweep their team (providing their steel is weakened).

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 127-151 (32.2 - 38.3%) -- 1.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 166-196 (42.1 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 220-261 (55.8 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. +2 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 166-196 (42.1 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
man this core is a challenge, keldeo and scarfers are the only real answers ha. Thought about fly-gyara, but you take a hit setting up and are in range of the other mon's priority (unless you get a good roll on ninjas pulse into a good roll on medi's fake out).

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 92 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost/Cotton Guard

King DDD mega Altaria checks both mons, easily OHKOing with no boosts, while neither can come close to OHKOing MAlt first. Cotton guard slashed cause if you switch into ninja on anything besides a specs hydro pump, you can set it up and then medicham can't touch you.

I really wanted protect scolipede to work, but it can't ohko medi unboosted without bug-z.

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 92 SpD Altaria-Mega: 133-157 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 136+ Def Altaria-Mega: 204-240 (70.1 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Thanks for the response guys!
This is a very difficult threat to counter so I appreciate everyone putting work into the posts and explaining their submissions well.

Highlights
Tapu Lele
- It’s not hard to see why this is an extreme threat to this core, as long as you have full HP and you don’t switch into a Specs, post-transformation, Hydro Pump then you can come in on either member, outspeed and OHKO both of them, Psychic Terrain is also extremely useful, blocking both Fake Out and Water Shuriken, two huge draws to using this core. PrideMustang

Creative
Zygarde
- This is a very cool set, despite being rarely seen, Yache Berry has a number of uses, allowing for the tanking of Ice coverage to set up, Protect can be useful against Medicham and Hawlucha’s High Jump Kick, as well as for scouting coverage and Z-Moves. The second spread, while catered to the core is definitely viable, given just how common Greninja is (posting both spreads is appreciated). wadusher
Clefable - Cosmic Power Clefable is a pretty controversial set, some swearing by it and others swearing it is trash, however it does do undeniable work against this core. While it is at risk of being over powered before a boost, afterwards, as posted, only Specs Hydro Pump is a 2HKO, which allows for pretty much perpetual setting up after +1. mellowyellowhd

Not Archived
Staraptor
- I love this mon and I love this submission, unfortunately rules are rules. I will keep an eye on the VR and if Bird Jesus does get ranked, which I support, then I will add this to the Archive. Moldes
Edit: Staraptor was ranked! Therefore it has been added to the archive.

Week 4 Core - Toxapex + Celesteela

I wanted to post Celesteela and after much consideration I decided to commit thread suicide and try to threaten one of the most solid defensive cores since the beginning of the Sun and Moon meta, the infamous Celepex. Chances are you’ve heard of Celepex before, so I won’t beat you over the head with it. Celepex is a defensive core that has great synergy, in terms of typing and movesets. Celesteela notably is immune to Ground and hard-walls almost every Psychic type, it has pretty good recovery between Leftovers and Leech Seed, which alongside Toxapex’s Regenerator makes this core very difficult to wear down. Toxapex and Celesteela can both force a lot of switches which can be taken advantage of with Toxic Spikes, Leech Seed, potential Scald Burns and surprisingly strong attacks from Celesteela.
Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

As always, all postings are appreciated! But please, only post OU viable Pokémon and do not post sets specifically catered to this core, your threat should not be complete deadweight against teams that do not feature Celepex.

At the end of the week I will archive viable threats, post a new core and highlight threats that are particularly creative or effective! I'll also try and explain why I didn't include any threats in the archive, if applicable.​

Last edited:
Zapdos
DD707C64-893A-4695-BF03-6E7EFAD2B5BC.png

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure / Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog
Zapdos effortlessly switches into both mons in this core and can threaten both with Discharge. It can also remove Toxic Spikes with Defog. Although it does not 2HKO Toxapex, it can keep using Discharge until Recover runs out of PP or Parahax comes through.

Last edited:

Thundurus-Therian @ Electrium Z / Fightinium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying] / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

I choose Thundurus-T over Choice Specs Tapu Koko because It can break the entire defensive core of the team where you can find CelePex, something that Tapu Koko can't. I mean, or they have a bulky Grass-Type like Tangrowth, Bulu, Amoonguss, Ferrothorn or M-Venu or a bulky Ground-Type like Hippowdon or Lando-T. It can set up on Toxapex as it scares away fearing the Z Move, and then nuke something with Gigavolt Havoc at +2. It doesn't care about Scald burn from Toxapex, but hates Leech Seed, so, it's better set up on Toxapex, and break. It OHKO both mons with Z-Move, but you can boost anyways and OHKO both mons with regular Thunderbolt. I feel HP Flying is better for Thundurus-T than Ice, because checks for Landorus-T or Zygarde can't be hard to find, and it further improves your breaking capabilities.

252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 348-410 (114.8 - 135.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 528-624 (132.9 - 157.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 542-642 (136.5 - 161.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 356-422 (117.4 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Hidden Power Flying vs. 248 HP / 56 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 278-330 (81 - 96.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery

+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Hidden Power Flying vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 318-374 (78.7 - 92.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Hidden Power Flying vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Amoonguss: 366-432 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Hidden Power Flying vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Venusaur-Mega: 290-344 (79.8 - 94.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 208+ SpD Ferrothorn: 380-448 (107.9 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 322-379 (76.6 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery - It can't do any shit back tho, maybe Toxic you or phaze, but you get a 3/4 of its health.

+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Hidden Power Flying vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 256-303 (67 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery - It isn't that hard to put in range because lacks reliable recovery.

Last edited:
Why did noone reserve Koko
Reserving Tapu Koko
1521768397374.png

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice

There are tons of different ways to threaten this core ranging from fun like Terrakion to actually good like Heatran and Magnezone to not very used like Nidoking and Camerupt and I honestly think that we might not be able to catalog all the threats, but for this one, lets keep it simple and just go with Tapu Koko who ohkos both pokemon in this core, does not have to worry about any of their moves except maybe Heavy Slam which hits decently hard but not hard enough. This is the standard set, but I should mention that Hidden Power Ice was chosen because Celepex cores tend to like Landorus as a rocker, and because Ferrothorn wouldn't appear on Celepex teams.

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela in Electric Terrain: 458-540 (115.3 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex in Electric Terrain: 300-354 (99 - 116.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Last edited:
Gigavolt havoc Tapu Lele

Tapu Lele @ Electrium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind / Focus blast / HP Fire

It should be pretty obvious how easily a calm mind lele can scare pex into switching to celesteela. This set aims to take advantage of that by running a Z move that exploits this core's weakness to electric nukes. It doesn't switch in well to celesteela except on a predicted protect, and it definitely won't setup easily on it in the face of a heavy slam. Otherwise... well, the calcs speak for themselves.

0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 31-37 (11 - 13.1%) -- possible 8HKO (lol)
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex in Psychic Terrain: 272-324 (89.7 - 106.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Tapu Lele Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 326-384 (82.1 - 96.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery.
Probably not ideal to fire off a Z Tbolt over Z Thunder if your lele's 4 attacks unless you get some chip damage on it first, like a switch into psyshock.

+1 252 SpA Tapu Lele Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 320-378 (105.6 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery.
If you suspect some Payapa Pex shenanigans then is the way to kill it.
+1 252 SpA Tapu Lele Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 486-574 (122.4 - 144.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

orange emo dog (Lycanroc-Dusk) @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Accelerock
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run

To those of you who are ignorant on what the the big dog can do, here is the low down. Thanks to access to Swords Dance and a powerful and insane character-specific nuke in Lycanium fot big orange emo dog, this puppy can easily break through Celepex. Whether it sets up on Toxapex due to living Scald, or just sets up in general, everyone seems to forget that this thing is very capable of breaking through Celepex without any recourse what so ever. And unlike every single other nomination, no one actually remembers this masterpiece, and so this thing will break through both without any setbacks. Everyone seems to think that big doggy is trash, but in reality it is a misunderstood masterpiece, and therefore I hope that this post brings light from the darkness and enlightens everyone on the major potential of this one pokemon.
Here are some calcs

+2 252 Atk Lycanroc-Dusk Splintered Stormshards vs. 248 HP / 104+ Def Celesteela: 462-544 (116.3 - 137%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Lycanroc-Dusk Drill Run vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 292-344 (96.3 - 113.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

and this is an example of its ferocious might ripped straight from Yachi's nomination post
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-669717741

So yeah, this is the biggest threat, much bigger than any other mon out there ever could threaten this core

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Heatran @ Groundium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic / Stealth Rock / Hidden Power [Ice]

Groundium Z Heatran is not only able to trap and remove Toxapex with ease (as opposed to being weakened by it before the Pex goes down like Utility Tran is), but it is also able to force Celesteela out between it not taking jack shit from its attacks to it carrying a STAB, super effective STAB move that it can't afford to click Leech Seed against due to the threat of being trapped.

reserving Magnezone

Magnezone @ Electrium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire

Sub Electric Z allows magnezone to step up a sub on Toxapex, allowing it nuke it at full health and ohko it. While behind a sub Magnezone is able to 2HKO Celesteela while avoiding being 2HKO from Celesteela's flamethrower.

Last edited:
Flyinium Z Smack Down/Gravity Landorus-T

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Smack Down / Gravity
- Stealth Rock / Swords Dance

Simple, Landorus-T can KO Toxapex with Earthquake. It can ground Celesteela, getting chip damage with Smack Down or forcing it out with Gravity and Earthquake. Something that Landorus-T brings to the table that other threats cannot is to defeat some common partners for this core, specifically Grass-types. With Z-Fly, you can lure in and kill Tapu Bulu, Tangrowth, M-Venusaur, and Amoongus. However, it struggles with opposing Landorus-T unless it has SD. Overall, a classic check to CelePex cores that can also help with their partners as well, while providing utility with SR.

edit: realized that ferro isn't on celepex teams so removed mentions

Last edited:

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

Charizard is easily able to dismantle this core - it is able to consistently switch in on either one, as it does not fear the scald burn, nor does it fear the Heavy Slam or Seeds from steela. Charizard's main advantage over the listed threads (ie Zygarde or Heatran) is that it is able to break through common additions to the core, which includes the likes of clef, bulu, tran, reuni, and lando. The only real issue that zard faces is its susceptibility to Rocks, but that can be easily remedied by roost

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Thousand Arrows
- Protect
- Toxic

or legitimately any other Zygarde but yea, he easily takes on both of them, especially with Substitute as that allows for it to cockblock Celesteela seeing as Heavy Slam fails to break and then you just survive all day while Thousand Arrows does an ok amount the first time and then proceeds to force it out or take a ton. Toxapex is also clearly Zygarde food, which helps out here. Ultimately, you just have to be safe entering the field vs either, especially Toxapex as it can status you, and then you beat both. Obviously the main issue is when they are paired with either Tapu Bulu or Clefable, especially if you are a set like this one vs the latter, as you cannot immediately break through either and you thus are now walled by the core of three, but that's for more practical situations as opposed to this thread so x]

Reserving taunt cm keldeo

Keldeo @ Waterium Z
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt

Taunt CM Keldeo can taunt and setup vs both mons even if toxapex burn can be annoying it usually isn't that much of a problem

0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 28-33 (8.6 - 10.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
+5 252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 294-347 (97 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
+3 252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 210-248 (69.3 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+3 252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 119-141 (39.2 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery
0 Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 72-84 (22.2 - 26%) -- 6% chance to 4HKO
0 SpA Celesteela Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 37-44 (11.4 - 13.6%) -- possible 8HKO
+1 252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 384-453 (96.7 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 381-448 (95.9 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Mega Camerupt

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Magma Armor / Solid Rock
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Toxic / Nature Power / Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Mega Camerupt threatens both pokemon with its powerful Sheer Force boosted STAB moves. It hates Pex's scalds but can easily come in on Celesteela. As a bonus if the opponent has a solid switch in Camerupt can also set up SR since most Defogger get pressured by Camel. Slashed Nature Power because terrain support isn't too hard and most Nature Powers help out, TBolt beats Mantine, Energy Ball beats Gastrodon, Moonblast beats Lati@s.
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 254-302 (83.8 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 254-302 (83.8 - 99.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 474-560 (119.3 - 141%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mega Calcs
0 Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (80 BP) vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Camerupt-Mega: 43-51 (13.7 - 16.2%) -- possible 7HKO
0 SpA Celesteela Flamethrower vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Camerupt-Mega: 33-39 (10.5 - 12.4%) -- possible 9HKO
0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Camerupt-Mega: 204-240 (65.1 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Non-Mega Calcs
0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Camerupt: 268-316 (85.6 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO Don't come in if you are Magma Armour
0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Camerupt: 201-237 (64.2 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (100 BP) vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Camerupt: 72-86 (23 - 27.4%) -- 66.2% chance to 4HKO
0 SpA Celesteela Flamethrower vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Camerupt: 43-51 (13.7 - 16.2%) -- possible 7HKO

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Medi probably shouldnt try to 1v1 Celes but Celepex cant stop Medi from wallbreaking. Medi can also break the Grass-type (Mega-Venu, Amoonguss, Tangrowth) that will be paired with this core that's 1 wallbreaker breaking a 3 mon defensive core and that's wonderful

Reserving Mawile

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang

All-out Attacker Mawile is my choice for a submission this time.

Since they're a defensive core, most of the time you'll find them switching into one of Maw's resisted STABs in order to force her out with a Scald/Flamethrower, either of which depending of who of the pair decided to step in. However, little did your opponents know, your Maw had a secret weapon up to its sleeve... Thunder Punch.

TP has enough power to net the KO on Pex if it switches into a Play Rough, although you'll need good rolls if you want to do the same with Steela. Of course, if Electric Terrain has been set up beforehand, then TP will quite a boost, allowing Maw to OHKO Pex and have a nice chance to do the same with Steela. The rest of the moveset helps Maw to still be an offensive pressure against most kind of cores, bar a few ones, having Sucker for priority against everything not named Lele, Pinsir or Gren, Play Rough for STAB and Fire Fang for further coverage against Grass.

It must be mentioned, however, that Maw really hates switching hard into most of their moves, unless they're a predicted TSpikes/Haze from Pex or Protect from Steela (being seeded can eventually force you out), as their other options have a chance of crippling it (Scald) or to 2HKO (Slam/Flamethrower). That being said, the best way to bring Maw in against them is by double switching or switching in into one of the aforementioned none - you can be a bit greedy and go against this recommendation and hard switch into a Scald, but if you do, I hope you made your prayers.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 104+ Def Celesteela: 248-294 (62.4 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 214-252 (70.6 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

0 Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 108-127 (40.9 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Celesteela Flamethrower vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Mawile-Mega: 144-170 (54.5 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)