Project Threats to OU Cores v2: Round 72: Mega Charizard X + Ash-Greninja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reserve Volcarona

Volcarona
I'm surprised this hasn't been reserved yet, this is essentially the ultimate counter to the team.

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

This really is the perfect counter, even if volcarona has seen a decline in popularity. It resists every move on either set outside of Knock Off and Natures Madness. It OHKO's Kartana with a Bug Buzz (min damage is 140%), whereas the Knock Off is a 4HKO, and Kartana needs to be at least +1 in attack, and get a crit on All Out Pummeling to OHKO Volcarona, which is all likely hood will not be happening. Tapu Bulu is a little bit harder, as Volcarona can't OHKO Bulu with Fire Blast outside of Z-move. However, Tapu Bulu's wood hammer has a .1% chance of 3HKO Volcarona, so you can either hit it twice or set up a Quiver Dance. At +1, it will OHKO Tapu Bulu 100% of the time, and you just got free set up. I recommend using Quiver Dance.

Last edited:

Greninja-Ash @ Expert Belt / Poisinium Z / Waterium Z
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive/Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Gunk Shot

While most grens prefer spikes as the last slot, if you just happen to already have spikes support on gren's team from, say, Ferrothorn, gunk shot is a pretty fun tech to deal with bulu. Simply bring it in on kartana as either a revenge kill or via slow u-turn, watch bulu switch in and laugh off the damage, and annihilate it with gunk shot, and your opponent is most like screwed from then on if they can't revenge gren with anything else. Your opponent might suspect you're running gunk shot if you bring gren in on bulu and scout for it, so that's not exactly the best way to go about beating it.

As for items, expert belt allows you to not need any prior damage on bulu's analysis spread to OHKO with gunk while just one switchin to rocks and gren's STABs OHKO the 36 defense impish spread that's been floating around for lele, even as regular gren. If you lack a Z user then and are ridiculously paranoid about missing gunk shot, and why wouldn't you be when it has like 1% accuracy, Z-moving gunk shot is an option. Otherwise, Waterium Z is a solid option for a general STAB nuke. Keep in mind that bulu requires a fair amount of chip to die to non-ebelt / acid downpour regular gren, and it is very good at stopping gren from going ash.

All of these items are good at bluffing specs, which you can't do with a life orb. Anything weak to one of your STABs that easily tanks your other STAB is encouraged to stay in if it doesn't see life orb recoil and you don't switch moves until its too late for your opponent.

60+ Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja in Grassy Terrain: 488-576 (171.2 - 202.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 524-620 (183.8 - 217.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 56 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 36-43 (10.4 - 12.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 SpA Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 56 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 51-60 (14.8 - 17.4%) -- possible 8HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery

4 Atk Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 296-352 (86.2 - 102.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
4 Atk Greninja Acid Downpour (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 468-552 (136.4 - 160.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
252 SpA Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 268-316 (103 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Reserve Volcarona

Volcarona
I'm surprised this hasn't been reserved yet, this is essentially the ultimate counter to the team.

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

This really is the perfect counter, even if volcarona has seen a decline in popularity. It resists every move on either set outside of Knock Off and Natures Madness. It OHKO's Kartana with a Bug Buzz (min damage is 140%), whereas the Knock Off is a 4HKO, and Kartana needs to be at least +1 in attack, and get a crit on All Out Pummeling to OHKO Volcarona, which is all likely hood will not be happening. Tapu Bulu is a little bit harder, as Volcarona can't OHKO Bulu with Fire Blast outside of Z-move. However, Tapu Bulu's wood hammer has a .1% chance of 3HKO Volcarona, so you can either hit it twice or set up a Quiver Dance. At +1, it will OHKO Tapu Bulu 100% of the time, and you just got free set up. I recommend using Quiver Dance.
minor nitpick, Volcarona falls over to a +2 Fightinium Z so it's not the complete Kartana stop you make it out to be.
+2 252 Atk Kartana All-Out Pummeling (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 347-409 (111.5 - 131.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

minor nitpick, Volcarona falls over to a +2 Fightinium Z so it's not the complete Kartana stop you make it out to be.
+2 252 Atk Kartana All-Out Pummeling (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 347-409 (111.5 - 131.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
That is a fair point, I was, however, assuming that you would bring in Volcarona ASAP, probably after it only has one boost, unless, of course, it SDs on the switch, at which point, yes, it will fall.

Reserving Charizard Y
1525297077106.png

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

With the sun on its side and a STAB boosted Flamethrower, Charizard Y makes quick work of this core, ignoring Tapu Bulu's Assault Vest, and completely decimating this core. Of course, with every Kartana "counter" its important to note that you can't let it get to +2 if its Fightinium. Despite, that, Charizard Y completely decimates this core

Last edited:
48 Hours before we get a new core! I'm posting this a day early because we have a few reservations and NO MEME OF THE WEEK YET, come on I will be very disappointed if this is the first week we don't get one.

Reminders: stuuful12 Astoria

Gogoat @ Leftovers
Ability: Grass Pelt
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 20 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Superpower
- Horn Leech
- Milk Drink

Literally the best counter to this core. You perpetually wall Bulu and exploit its Terrain to boost your defense, meaning you can set up all over it. The EV spread allows Gogoat to live a +2 Z Fight in Terrain or 2 Grassy Terrain boosted Leaf Blades after rocks, meaning you can Milk Drink up to the point where you take a +2 Blade at neutral then at +1 Def and start setting up for free.
Bulu

60+ Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 220+ Def Grass Pelt Gogoat in Grassy Terrain: 93-111 (20.7 - 24.7%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery

Kartana

+2 252 Atk Kartana All-Out Pummeling (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 220+ Def Grass Pelt Gogoat: 326-384 (72.6 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 220+ Def Grass Pelt Gogoat in Grassy Terrain: 189-222 (42 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

+2 0 Atk Gogoat Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 272-322 (104.6 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb
- Vacuum Wave
- Dark Pulse

Special Toxicroak is a completely skillful and great counter to this core. With this on your side, your opponent will laugh so hard to the point where they will forget that both Tapu Bulu and Kartana is weak to it, and let you pick up those kills for some easy EXPs. Toxicroak is also a poison type , and doesn't care about what no stinkin Tapu Bulu. Its also pretty cute to see some Kartana get bopped by Vacuum Wave which is nice priority. The biggest reason to use Toxicroak over some other *counters* is because it can actually check a couple of other cool mons like Ash-Greninja, Keldeo, Lopunny, and more thanks to how great Vacuum Wave is of a special stab especially when boosted by Nasty Plot, while also being able to always get a free switch on Toxapex to absorb some Scald for health while also removing Toxic Spikes actually giving it a decent amount of utility in Overused, despite being a frail attacker
252 SpA Life Orb Toxicroak Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 56 SpD Assault Vest Tapu Bulu: 380-452 (110.7 - 131.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Toxicroak Vacuum Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 307-367 (118 - 141.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

* a couple of other notable mons to consider
252 SpA Life Orb Toxicroak Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja-Ash: 174-205 (61 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Toxicroak Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 157-187 (48.6 - 57.8%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 246-289 (80.1 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

1525313223010.png

Highlights
Tornadus-T
- Strong Flying-type STAB is pretty rare in this tier without relying on two-turn attacks, between Regenerator and Flyinium Z you will be hard pressed to lose to this core when packing Tornadus. mellowyellowhd
Mega-Venusaur - Two 4x effective moves, abuse of Grassy Terrain and very little for the core to touch it with, awesome. Flame from Heaven
Creative
Magnezone
- Chople Berry Magnezone is a very underrated set in my opinion, the Speed creep of Bulu is a tad catered but it a reasonable benchmark to hit that doesn’t sacrifice its utility as a Steel-trapper. GekkisaiDaiNi
Azumarill - PerishTrap doesn’t quite have the hype it did before, but it is still very creative and effective for what it does and can be a great answer to this core thanks to Sap Sipper. Jucherz
Not Archived
Gogoat
- More like Goaway. mellowyellowhd
Toxicroak - I just checked its stats out of curiosity, dear God this think sucks lol. stuuful12

Week 10 Core - Trick Room: Magearna + Alolan-Marowak

Thanks for 10 weeks of core threats. Your contributions have been high quality week in and out; to celebrate the 10th week I have decided to do a ‘special’ and throw a core at you which utilises Trick Room!

While some may write it off as a meme-y, low ladder playstyle, Trick Room can be very dangerous in the right hands, turning vulnerable slow breakers into lightning fast cleaners who can also take strong attacks. Indeed in OU Premier League Week 2 starry blanket succeeded with a Trick Room team, which features the Pokemon in this weeks core. Magearna is arguably the best Pokemon for Trick Room teams, with great offensive presence and coverage, alongside good bulk and a fantastic defensive typing allowing it to set up Trick Room for itself and team members, Fairium Z grants a 195 Base Power STAB nuke, which then gets a victory snowball going thanks to Soul Heart. Alolan Marowak can use its passable bulk to set up Swords Dance and hit incredibly fast and hard under Trick Room, even without a boost it boasts great attack and a fantastic offensive typing, appreciating Magearna hitting Ground types with Z-Fluer Cannon, while Marowak hits those that resist Magearna’s coverage like Mega-Venusaur, and special defense walls like Toxapex and Chansey.
Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
IVs: 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Bonemerang

As always, all postings are appreciated! But please, only post OU viable Pokémon and do not post sets specifically catered to this core, your threat should not be complete deadweight against teams that do not feature Magewak.

At the end of the week I will archive viable threats, post a new core and highlight threats that are particularly creative or effective! I'll also try and explain why I didn't include any threats in the archive, if applicable.​

Last edited:
Stakataka.
78E754FD-40C4-4282-AFBC-3D179CDF5273.gif

Stakataka @ Rockium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Trick Room
Stakataka at least 2HKOs both Pokemon in this core with Gyro Ball and Stone Edge respectively. It turns the enemies own Trick Room against him or her and can sometimes pull off a reverse sweep.

Last edited:
nice ten weeks of great cores/threats and for sure, amazing memes rofl, keep going dude!

Mega - Camel

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Magma Armor
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe OR 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest / Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Fill

Trick Room teams tends to have a nasty weakness to Ground-Type Pokémon, in this vein, Mega Camerupt can threat this core under Trick Room, being able to Sub while Magearna (or Uxie) setup Trick Room is massive, as you will move first and smack Magearna with Earth Power. Marowak-A is a bit more tricky because it OHKOes Mega Camerupt with Bonemerang, and outspeed you under Trick Room. However, if you have Sub up and assuming no chip, the first hit of Bonemerang breaks it and it survive the second one and then OHKO Marowak-A with Earth Power. If your team have ways of pressure Toxapex and your team is weak to TR, you can use the bold spread with a Quiet Nature, with this, you outspeed all the shit in TR and can win a match against it if they haven't Crawdant (Aqua Jet OHKO it). Calcs are showing the standar spread

252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Magearna: 404-476 (110.9 - 130.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Marowak-Alola: 542-638 (167.8 - 197.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Camerupt-Mega: 348-412 (111.1 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(With Sub up (at 75% health), the first hit fade the Sub, and the second one deals max 66%)

Calcs against other TR setters/abusers

252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 140 SpD Uxie: 198-234 (55.9 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Cresselia: 220-261 (49.6 - 58.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stakataka: 900-1060 (276 - 325.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mawile-Mega: 474-560 (155.9 - 184.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Crawdaunt: 364-430 (110.3 - 130.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

TL;DR: Mega Camel can shit on TR teams if played properly.

Last edited:

Heatran @ Firium Z / Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe OR 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic / Stealth rock
- Taunt

With the mental herb free Magearna being the main trick room setter here, it should come as no surprise that this core is vulnerable to taunt users like Heatran, and if its offensive, Heatran doesn't even need to taunt as Inferno Overdrive cleanly OHKOs Magearna. Though it does have the issue that Marowak can tank Earth Power if you don't manage to get rocks up, a wak at low HP outside of trick room is as good as dead.

252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Marowak-Alola: 236-278 (73 - 86%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Heatran Inferno Overdrive (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Magearna: 524-618 (143.9 - 169.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 272-322 (84.2 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
reserving Hippowdon

1525740608353.png

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Despite not having the power to OHKO either members of the core, Hippowdon can mitigate this flaw by both being able to stall out any move that Magearna can throw at it, while also being able to take out Marowak on with Earthquake and sand chip. For Magearna, 0 IVs in Speed allow Hippowdon to outspeed Magearna in Trick Room and beat it with the combination of Earthquake and Slack Off, as Magearna's best move is Fleur Cannon which drops Special Attack, allowing for Hippowdon to wall it barring a crit. However, Fairium does power through Hippowdon, but that is incredibly predictable, and is an easy switch-in to whatever steel you posses. As for Marowak, Hippowdon unfortunately does not outspeed it in Trick Room, but the combination of Earthquake and sand chip make it entireably manageable. More so, Hippowdon's ability to Whirlwind cannot go understated, as it wastes the turns of Trick Room and make it unfavorable for mons like Uxie to set up their rocks and such.

Last edited:
Life Orb Mamoswine

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash / Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off

Mamoswine has the strength to OHKO both Magearna before it can set up Trick Room as well as Marowak outside of it.

Against Trick Room teams that use this core, Mamoswine also has great matchups against Stakataka, Mega Mawile, and Zygarde while also hitting both Uxie and Cresselia hard with Knock Off or can flinch with Icicle Crash. Icicle Spear is another option to break Mimikyu's Disguise and damage it on the same turn.

Last edited:

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

Mega Mawile safely sets up on both of the common setters paired with this core - Uxie and Cresselia, meaning that despite Magearna resisting all of Mawiles moves, you still beat it 1v1 as +2 Play Rough into Sucker Punch always kills and the fact that Magearna can't oneshot you. Obviously Marowak drops to a +2 Sucker Punch.

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Magearna: 245-288 (67.3 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Magearna: 127-150 (34.8 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (calc shows that even with a min roll Play Rough, Sucker always kills.
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 532-626 (164.7 - 193.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 266-314 (82.3 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
(Sorry, no music video. Don’t have acess to a computer right now.)
A091CCBB-F641-481E-8FF8-B2C663392CAF.gif

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb
Seventeen seventy-six
New York City
Pardon me, are you Aaron Burr, sir?
That depends, who’s asking?
Oh, sure, sir
I’m Alexander Hamilton, I’m at your service, sir
I have been looking for you
I’m getting nervous
Sir, I heard your name at Princeton
I was seeking an accelerated course of study
When I got sort of out of sorts with a buddy of yours
I may have punched him it’s a blur, sir
He handles the financials?
You punched the bursar?
Yes, I wanted to do what you did
Graduate in two, then join the revolution he looked at me like I was stupid I’m not stupid
So how’d you do it, how’d you graduate so fast?
It was my parent's dying wish before they passed
You're an orphan, of course I’m an orphan
God, I wish there was a war
Then we could prove that we’re worth more than anyone bargained for
Can I buy you a drink?
That would be nice
While we’re talking, let me offer you some free advice
Talk less
What?
Smile more
Ha
Don’t let them know what you're against or what you're for
You can't be serious
You wanna get ahead?
Yes
Fools who run their mouths off wind up dead
Yo yo yo yo yo
What time is it?
Show time
Like I said
Show time, show time
Yo, I’m Mega Doom, in the place to be
Two pints o’ Sam Adams, but I’m workin' on three, uh
Altervisi don’t want it with me
'Cause I will pop chick-a pop this core till I’m free
252 SpA Houndoom-Mega Pop Chick-a Pop vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Magearna: 338-398 (92.8 - 109.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(If you understand this you’re awesome.)

Is it too late to do a 'threat' to the Trick Room Core? If so, delete this, if not... Ghostium-Z Gengar!

Gengar @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Running Taunt means that TR setters without mental herb will be unable to use TR. Gengar also has a very high chance to OHKO Magearna if it Shadow Ball -> Never ending nightmare; there is a similarly near guaranteed chance to OHKO Alolan Mawile with a regular shadow ball. It can also do work against other TR mons - Cresselia (especially sets without mental herb, if not it has to taunt twice) goes down if it is taunted, and can be 2HKO'd quite often anyway, Stakatakatakatakatakatakatakakatatakatakat is KO'd by Focus-Miss, and Uxie and Crawdaunt also lose more often than not.

Obviously as it is semi-reliant on TR not being up, gengar can struggle against mons with mental herb, and as it is quite frail it doesn't like coming in on anything, especially if TR is up.

Here are the most relevant offensive calcs:
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Magearna: 117-138 (32.1 - 37.9%) -- 93.3% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Gengar Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Magearna: 232-274 (63.7 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Marowak-Alola: 312-368 (96.5 - 113.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Gengar can even take a Twinkle Tackle to the face and (somehow, give its frailty) live:
252+ SpA Magearna Twinkle Tackle (195 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 221-261 (84.3 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But Alolan Marowak OHKOs, so Gengar is forced out if TR is up.

Some other offensive calcs of Gengar vs TR mons:
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stakataka: 520-612 (159.5 - 187.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Crawdaunt: 420-496 (157.3 - 185.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 140 SpD Uxie: 186-222 (52.5 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Cresselia: 206-246 (46.5 - 55.5%) -- 68% chance to 2HKO

And, finally, a replay from a while back of Gengar taking on a TR team with this core and all but single handedly winning.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-685715758

Thanks to PrideMustang for sorting this week core, been super busy at work, managed to get a bit of time in for the last week analysis. Altervisi

Highlights
Vengeance417 - Mamoswine
Mamoswine is a great pick in the current meta and against Trick Room; hits setters like Uxie and Cresselia hard with Knock Off, packs priority and can OHKO both members of this core.

mellowyellowhd - Mega-Mawile
Read above.

Creative
Flame from Heaven - Stakataka
I'm actually a big fan of Stakataka and in this scenario it is essentially the anti-Trick Room God.

Week 11 Core - Gastrodon + Heatran

This week we will be looking at a core that has been gaining a lot of traction in SPL9, and is currently a solid choice for balanced teams. This core is one that has great defensive synergy, in terms of typing, abilities and especially, the threats they can check. Specially Defensive Gastrodon provides two key immunities to strong offensive typings in the current metagame, Electric and Water, this allows it perform as a great counter to Tapu Koko, especially those that don't carry U-Turn, as well as other threats, notably Protean Greninja, some Magearna sets that Heatran can't check such as Shift Gear with Fightinium Z, and Tornadus-T. On the other hand, Heatran covers common Grass-Types that can OHKO Gastrodon, such as Ferrothorn and Tapu Bulu, Heatran also traps and removes walls with the combination of Taunt and Toxic, and provides a Toxic immunity which Gastrodon greatly appreciates. This core gives its team a lot of defensive value, having 4 immunities and 5 quad-resistances, wearing down the rival team over time with passive damage.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

As always, all postings are appreciated! But please, only post OU viable Pokémon and do not post sets specifically catered to this core, your threat should not be complete deadweight against teams that do not feature Gastrodon + Heatran.

At the end of the week I will archive viable threats, post a new core and highlight threats that are particularly creative or effective! I'll also try and explain why I didn't include any threats in the archive, if applicable.​

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Pretty self-explanatory. Giga drain 2HKOs Gastro and EQ 2HKOS Heatran, and neither can really do anything back to it.

calcs i guess
0 Atk Venusaur-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 272-324 (70.4 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Venusaur-Mega Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 316-376 (74.3 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Edit: for reference i posted this literally right when stuuful tried to reserve it lmao

Last edited:
AV Amoonguss.
8A2B5FC7-B178-424A-BEC1-A120F74AA0BD.gif

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Stomping Tantrum
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Amoonguss 2HKOs both members of this core with Giga Drain and Stomping Tantrum respectively. You can even lure Heatran with Amoonguss if you use Sludge Bomb first because of ST’s secondary effect.

Last edited:
Fightinium-Z Kartana

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Defog/Knock Off/Smart Strike

Simples, outspeed both, OHKO both with Leaf Blade and Z-Sacred Sword. You can even possibly bluff Scarf and lure Heatran. You can switch into Scald once or twice if you don't mind rolling the burn dice, obviously not Magma Storm, everything else is Gucci.

Hey Jordy, hope you like what I did with the place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)