SS OU throw some s*** and see what sticks (hyper offense peak 1800)

hey!! it's been a hot minute but i'm getting back into showdown. last time i was playing a lot i was using a hyper offense team by scorpia. i had never played with such a successful hyper offense team before and it was fun to swap in new mons to test stuff out. however, that was like 6 months ago, and a huge part of that team was kyurem, who has since been banned. so, keeping one or two core elements from that old team, i tried building something new-ish that would fit into the current meta, instead of what it was like 6 months ago. it's been pretty successful, allowing me to peak around 1800, but i have problems with some pretty common threats that i don't really know how to remedy. so here goes:

1650907152619.png
1650907181390.png
1650907254951.png
1650907267587.png
1650907168552.png
1650907234525.png

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- U-turn

the lead 99.9% of the time, he's responsible for setting up screens so everybody else has an easier time setting up. u-turn over volt switch because of how common lando-t is, and taunt to stop other leads. obviously i made him as fast as possible, and i really only chose him because he's the fastest mon that can learn both screens + u-turn. light clay helps the screens stay up longer and electric surge goes really well with...

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Taunt
- Swords Dance

i kept this from scorpia's team because he's the wincon about 50% of the time, and is just really fun to play with. most people don't expect the taunt, and it's VERY useful for stopping toxics; however, this causes it to lose out on coverage, opening up the playing field for some threats that i'll talk about later. he has just enough speed EVs to outspeed max speed regieleki, and unburden + electric seed is extremely difficult to outspeed. anything that he can't 2hko is a pretty significant threat for the team.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stored Power
- Cosmic Power
- Taunt
- Soft-Boiled

bar the presence of any single dark type whatsoever, mew is almost always the other wincon, and usually only if hawlucha can't finish the job alone. once the opponent has been weakened enough and dark types are cleaned out by hawlucha, it's easy to cosmic power in their face and just use stored power. taunt is to stop a toxic, taunt, trick, etc. at this point, i have two really solid offensive mons but not much utility. lots of different elements to overrun the opponent, but not much to help out if they manage to get a faster start than me, which is why i included...

Obstagoon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Switcheroo
- Parting Shot

this is the one single member of this team i'm probably not budging on lol. aside from not being super bulky, the utility he's able to offer is really good, especially since he's not very commonly used, and when he is it's usually just for guts. knock off is standard stab and close combat is for coverage - 99% of the time heatran, ferrothorn, weavile, or kartana. defiant is there because of defog; it's really fun to switch in on a defog, get +2 attack, and hit hard (and first thanks to scarf) with knock off. defiant also comes in handy with lando, because intimidate gets you +1. with the scarf he's super fast and is a hard dragapult counter, which this team sorely needed. switcheroo is great for crippling setup sweepers that may have gotten a head start on me, and parting shot keeps up momentum while also damaging offenses a bit. on the very rare off chance i don't lead with koko (usually if there's a gengar - scarf gengar always ohkos koko) i lead with him. if it's a gengar, knock off; if not, just scout with parting shot.

Dragapult @ Power Herb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force

these last two mons i'm probably a bit more willing to switch out if necessary. the kyurem set on this team was sub + dd with roost and icicle spear, and it was nasty. after i couldn't use that anymore, i wanted to include another sub + dd, as when played right it can really cause problems. dragon darts is pult's best attack, and phantom force is for ghost-type stab. i had leftovers at first to recover sub damage, but power herb ended up being really useful because people hardly expect a single turn phantom force (really useful for mew, lele, and gengar). adamant because it's fast enough already, and because it's almost always going to have its speed boosted at least once.

Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 19 Atk
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword

my answer to some threats that this team deals with - barraskewda (bar cc), urshifu-rapid, and it's surprisingly useful against pex. i opted for speed boost kartana over attack boost because with +2 attack and +1 speed it's almost impossible to stop, unless your name is zapdos. because timid causes it to lose out on some attack, life orb is necessary. leaf blade for stab, sacred sword for coverage (heatran), and knock off so it can do SOMETHING against flying types, plus the utility. kartana does not get a lot of use on this team, and i feel like there might be somebody else better in this spot, but when it does get use, it often wins games.

PROBLEMS!
offensive threats:
View attachment 421183 - the bane of my existence!!! this type combo is hard for my team to deal with, and its moveset is capable of handling lots of my setup sweepers, especially when it runs heat wave. i have a really hard time dealing with it offensively, but it's even worse when it's defensive.

1650908655797.png
/
1650908670758.png
/
1650908687754.png
- swift swimmers are almost impossible to deal with without hawlucha, and usually teams that have these three on them also have zapdos, which counters hawlucha full stop. a zapdos plus one of these almost always beats me.

1650908790396.png
- not always a huge problem, but without screens, he usually punches holes faster that i can set up against it. also, hawlucha is really the only great answer, and melmetal + zapdos is a very common pairing.

defensive threats:
View attachment 421183- offensive zapdos is a problem, but i literally cannot beat defensive zapdos most of the time. kyurem was a great answer, but now that that's gone i don't really know what to do, so advice is welcome here *-*

1650908988961.png
- sand teams are annoying to deal with, but not because of sand rush (my team handles common sand rush sweepers well, especially with hawlucha). instead, it's because of this guy; people with sand teams always keep this guy until the end, and that usually means my answers for him (hawlucha and obstagoon) are knocked out first. my next choice would then be to go to mew, but mew can't do a thing against dark types. he's not a huge problem, mostly just annoying.

that's the team!! not the best but it is really fun. i'm by no means an excellent player so bear with me here, i tried my best lol. thanks for reading :)

Attachments

Nice Team!

My main criticism is that you do not have an electric immunity and so enemy regieleki's, zeroras, and even opposing tapu kokos seem pretty threatening. Lastly, the team seems to have no solid weavile check.

I also started out using scorpia's hyper offense team. Unfortunately, banded weavile/bisharp and rain teams with zapdos are increasing in popularity, so the main sweepers are not very good in the current meta. Hyper offense as a whole is not very strong right now, but it could become better in the future.

I also started out using scorpia's hyper offense team. Unfortunately, banded weavile/bisharp and rain teams with zapdos are increasing in popularity, so the main sweepers are not very good in the current meta. Hyper offense as a whole is not very strong right now, but it could become better in the future.
unironically trends that now occur because of the Kyurem Ban lol.

You could try SpD Timid Kart to take hits from uninvested Zapdos, as it can tank a Hurricane, which gives it more turns to set up. The ones I've seen haven't been optimized to my knowledge, so you could always customize this spread.

You could try SpD Timid Kart to take hits from uninvested Zapdos, as it can tank a Hurricane, which gives it more turns to set up. The ones I've seen haven't been optimized to my knowledge, so you could always customize this spread.
So you telling me to try SpD Kart made me think about trying AV Melmetal, and it's actually been working pretty well.

Melmetal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Max SpD allows it to tank heat waves and flamethrowers like nobody's business; especially when behind screens, which are up like 67% of the time with this team, he's really hard to take down. The higher than normal attack investment allows him to 2hko defensive zapdos with ice punch. Thunder punch is great for barraskewda; the only thing i'm really losing out on by switching kart to melmetal is the grass stab (which was good for swampert, seismitoad, etc) and the speed. However, I think the trade is worth it, because melmetal is significantly bulkier and I now have somebody else on this team that can actually switch in and take a hit besides obstagoon. I kinda wanna try out protective pads too, but I've really been enjoying all the special bulk.

So you telling me to try SpD Kart made me think about trying AV Melmetal, and it's actually been working pretty well.

Melmetal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Max SpD allows it to tank heat waves and flamethrowers like nobody's business; especially when behind screens, which are up like 67% of the time with this team, he's really hard to take down. The higher than normal attack investment allows him to 2hko defensive zapdos with ice punch. Thunder punch is great for barraskewda; the only thing i'm really losing out on by switching kart to melmetal is the grass stab (which was good for swampert, seismitoad, etc) and the speed. However, I think the trade is worth it, because melmetal is significantly bulkier and I now have somebody else on this team that can actually switch in and take a hit besides obstagoon. I kinda wanna try out protective pads too, but I've really been enjoying all the special bulk.
Sounds good! But with some of these changes, the team is starting to strike me as more of an offense rather than HO. The line begins getting thinner the bulkier you go.

You could try fidgeting with the team chemistry to make another team with a similar concept. Hawlucha + terrain setter + Screens Eject Pex (or separate roles) + Melmetal sounds pretty cool, and you could still keep an offensive tempo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)