* Thundurus performs the role of mixed wallbreaker for Electric-type teams. It has 115 / 125 offenses which allow it to effectively fulfill such a role.
* Thundurus has a vast movepool consisting of moves such as Knock Off, U-turn, Superpower, Fly, etc which helps it check various threats to Electric-type teams such as Mega Venusaur and Normal-type teams.
* Thundurus is blessed with an interesting ability with Defiant that can give it a free attack boost if any of its stats are lowered due to moves such as Defog.
* It has a very good speed at base 111 that allows it to outspeed common 110 base speed Pokemon such as Mega Diancie, Mega Gallade and Latios.
* However Thundurus has poor bulk which means it will be easily knocked out by strong neutral moves and cannot be switched into attacks liberally.
* Its part Flying typing makes it weak to Stealth Rock which limits the number of times it can switch-in to wallbreak. Stealth Rock also limiting its pivoting options with U-turn. Thundurus is weak to common Ice-type moves and takes neutral damage from Electric-type attacks.
* Thundurus is outclassed by Zeraora as a check against Normal-type teams but Thundurus can handle Mega Venusaur and Poison-type teams in general.
* Thundurus provides an important Ground-type immunity for Electric-type teams which allows it to switch-in on predicted Ground-type moves.
* Thundurus also suffers from a case of four-moveslot syndrome where it cannot check all the threats together and it will be walled by some threats depending on the moveset it is running.
name: Mixed Attacker (Electric)
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Fly / U-turn
item: Flyinium Z / Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
* Thunderbolt is a STAB move that is allows it to break Flying-types such as Celesteela and Staraptor that take less damage from its other moves. Thunderbolt is also important to hit physically bulky Pokemon such as Slowbro much harder as it can take on physical moves and can shrug off a Wild Charge.
* Knock Off is a good utility move on the set that not only allows it to cripple Normal-type teams but it also allows Thundurus to break Psychic-type teams better, allowing it to severely damage Pokemon such as Latios.
* Superpower allows Thundurus to beat threats to Electric-type teams such as Ferrothorn, Chansey and Kyurem-B which can easily wall other moves on the set.
* Fly is a physical STAB move for Thundurus which when used with Flyinium Z turns into a 175-Base Power Supersonic Skystrike that allows it to beat Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Celebi and Tapu Bulu on a predicted switch-in. It is also a powerful nuke in general allowing Thundurus to break through neutral targets well.
* U-turn should only be used over Fly if the Z-Move is used on other Pokemon already. U-turn allows to pressure Psychic-type teams in conjunction with Knock Off.
* Maximum Atttack investments optimizes the damage output of Thundurus.
* Maximum Speed investment along with a Naive Nature makes Thundurus as fast as possible allowing it to outspeed base 110 Speed Pokemon such as Latios and Mega Gallade.
* As the set shown is a mixed set, Naive Nature is used so that Thundurus can take priority attacks better from the likes of Choice Band Dragonite.
* Flyinium Z as the item allows Thundurus to use SuperSonic Skystrike to check Grass-types such as Breloom, Mega Venusaur and Tapu Bulu and let it use a powerful move in general. If Fly is not used on the set then Thundurus can utilize Life Orb as an item to increase the damage output of its moves.
* Defiant as the ability allows Thundurus to gain a free attack boost by two stages if any of its stat is lowered from moves such as Defog. It is also useful against Intimidate users, increasing its attack stat by one stage.
* Thundurus should be preserved in matchups where it is needed to eliminate threats for the team such as against Poison- and Normal-type teams. For instance, against Poison-type teams Thundurus is needed to eliminate threats such as Mega Venusaur and Muk-Alola for the team and against Normal-type teams, Thundurus is needed to eliminate Pokemon such as Chansey so that Electric-type teams have easier time against such types.
* Thundurus should not be switched into Stealth Rock often as it severely limits the number of times it can come into the battle and it also affects its ability to wallbreak for the team.
* Due to its low bulk, Thundurus should avoid switching into attacks directly as it can get severely weakened, making it unable to wallbreak effectively as it is easily KOed.
* Thundurus should switch in the battle through safe switches after a teammate has fainted or through smart double switches and Volt Switch support Rotom-Wash and Zapdos.
* Thundurus has a vast movepool so it is important to not reveal its coverage move until the right moment in the battle as revealing moves can result in finding it hard to eliminate key threats for the team.
* It should avoid status moves that cause burn and poison at all costs as burn halves its attack stat and poison puts it on a timer. Such status inflictions sharply impact Thundurus's ability to wallbreak.
* Against Walls such as Zapdos that check Thundurus, It should use U-Turn on a predicted switch into such walls, gaining momentum for the team and letting in a teammate safely that can eliminate or weaken such a check to Thundurus.
* As SuperSonic SkyStrike is a one-time move, it should not be used liberally against Poison- and Grass-type teams as without it Thundurus will not be able to break Pokemon such as Muk-Alola or Mega Venusaur.
* Knock Off should be used early game to cripple walls such as Porygon2 and Swampert, It allows to weaken walls and punishes offensive switch-ins like Latios.
* Superpower lowers attack and defense by one stage so it should be used cautiously as it makes Thundurus prone to priority moves such as Quick Attack from Diggersby and lets a foe like Muk-Alola set up curse on it.
* Rotom-Wash is a good teammate as it can sponge special attacks aimed at Thundurus, cripple threats with Will-O-Wisp, provide necessary Defog support as well as Slow Volt Switch to bring in Thundurus freely. Rotom-Wash also deals with bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon thanks to STAB Hydro Pump.
* Zapdos also provides essential Defog support for Thundurus so that it can wallbreak better without getting worn out fast and it also acts as a Physical wall to beat Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu. It can provide Thundurus with Volt Switch support as well.
* Tapu Koko is a good wallbreaker that appreciates Thundurus checking some of its checks such as Mega Venusaur and Alolan-Muk and in return Tapu Koko can deal with threatening Dragon-types for Thundurus with Dazzling Gleam.
* Alolan-Golem provides Thundurus with important Stealth Rock support which lets Thundurus wallbreak more effectively, finding it easier to score Knock outs. It can also trap Pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Excadrill due to its ability Magnet Pull and eliminate / weaken them with Fire Punch and Earthquake, respectively.
* Alolan-Raichu is another good teammate and can act as a cleaner once Thundurus weakenes or removes checks and counters to it. Thundurus can beat Pokemon such as Alolan-Muk as it checks Alolan-Raichu making it easier for Alolan-Raichu to clean late game.
* Zeraora is a fantastic physical attacker that appreciates Thundurus taking down shared checks and weakening walls such as Mega Venusuar and Swampert for it. Zeraora can also beat the Eviolite core of Normal-type teams relieving off pressure from Thundurus.
* Magnezone can trap and eliminate Pokemon such as Mega Scizor which can tank moves from Thundurus and pose a threat to it.
* Thundurus can also use Hidden Power Ice over Fly to form a pseudo bolt-beam coverage and to take on Ground-types such as Landorus, Gliscor and Garchomp.
* Thundurus can utilize a Choice Band set to wallbreak better however it is heavy prediction reliant and it makes Thundurus unable to check some of the key threats to Electric-type teams such as Mega Venusaur.
* A set with Thunder Wave or Taunt is also viable along with the ability Prankster as it allows Thundurus to cripple faster threats and to stallbreak walls, respectively.
* Thundurus can also utilize a Bulk Up set to boost its Attack and Defense stats however Thundurus has mediocre bulk to take advantage of it and hence it will find it hard trying to set up Bulk Up as it fears getting KOed easily.
Checks and Counters
**Faster attackers**: Faster attackers such as Choice Scarf Victini, Tapu Koko, Choice Scarf Nihilego can easily outspeed and KO Thundurus.
**Ground-types**: Thundurus is walled by bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon and Gastrodon as it cannot effectively break past such Ground-types and it can get crippled with Toxic.
**Dragon-types**: Dragon-types like Dragonite and Garchomp are not threatened by Thundurus and can KO it easily with their STAB Dragon-type moves.
**Zapdos**: Defensive variants of Zapdos take less damage from Thundurus and can easily Roost of the damaga. Zapdos can cripple it with Toxic putting it on a timer or it can pivot out to a different Pokemon with Volt Switch.
**Mega Venusaur**: While Mega Venusaur is checked by Fly, it can completely wall variants without Fly and beat Thundurus easily.
**Priority Users**: Strong Priority users such as Choice Band Dragonite and Bisharp can check and do some serious damage to Thundurus with their priority moves as Thundurus has sub par bulk. Thundurus is more prone to priority if it is running Life Orb as an item as it makes it easier to check with priority moves due to Life Orb recoil.
**Mixed Walls**: Mixed Walls such as Clefable, Mega Sableye and Mew take on Thundurus pretty easily. Such Mixed Walls can simply recover off the damage and proceed to cripple it or use status move such as Stealth Rock on it.
**Stealth Rock**: Thundurus is weak to Stealth Rock due to its Flying-typing and Stealth Rock makes it easier to check Thundurus as it loses a
25% of its health upon switching on it, wearing it down.