Other Metagames [Tier Shift] Famous (#1 Peak, TS Open Championship)

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
FAMOUS.
A Balanced VoltTurn Team.

I made that bitch famous.

Introduction
For the past couple of months I've gotten a bunch of requests to post some of my teams in the RMT/Sample threads. Now that I'm finally out of OM Grand Slam (Damn you Kl4ng), I can get to it. I'm starting with this Tier Shift team, as it is pretty much undefeated in actual competitive games, although I lose more often on ladder with it so take that as it is. I did win the Tier Shift Open with it (See Replays) though. It is based around bulky offense and voltturn, with a really underrated threat in Marowak.

Teambuilding

I started with Torn-T and Lanturn because its a fun, bulky core, with good synergy. Torn-T still manages to outspeed most of the meta even with any TS boosts, and RegenVest is beautiful. Lanturn is really good in TS. It spreads status, acts as a cleric, and gives momentum. Volt absorb is amazing for Tier Shift, especially paired with Tornadus-Therian.

I then moved on to Hoopa and Scizor. Scizor is actually my favorite defogger in TS, as it fits balance builds perfectly and has great typing. Hoopa was my wallbreaker of choice as it tears through all of the wish/protect stall in TS and can choicetrick effectively. It is devastating with +10 boosts in speed and special attack.

I then wanted a physical attacking wallbreakers (I hate stall) and a rock setter. I experimented with Marowak in PU awhile ago, and liked it, so I tried that. I used Pangoro due to Mold Breaker and Knock Off being amazing in TS.

Pangoro was underwhelming. It doesn't kill what it needs to, and its speed leaves it useless against more offensive teams. I moved on to Haxorus, another powerful Mold Breaker wallbreaker. I also noticed that Hoopa wasn't quite doing the job, it could get Pursuit trapped too easily and sometimes cost me momentum against non-stall teams. I replaced it with offensive Meloetta. The set is not standard, but it worked its way to being my favorite set in TS.

The Team

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Pretty standard Torn-T. Nothing different from OU, but just as good. This is the main pivot of the team, as RegenVest is just too good and it can switch into most special attacks and U-turn out. Knock off is mandatory in TS to handle Eviolite stuff. Hurricane is good to spam, and Superpower is solid coverage.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 104 HP / 224 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
- Volt Switch

Lanturn is surprisingly good, and really appreciates the TS bulk boosts. It is EVd to give it enough physical bulk for things like Talonflame, which this is the only counter to. Heal bell is necessary, Scald is great, Toxic helps vs stall. Volt switch keeps momentum.

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick
- U-turn

Here's where things start to get interesting. Choice Specs Meloetta is deceptively strong and fast, OHKOing or outspeeding and 2HKOing unsuspecting switchins. Trick helps take town stall's answers to Meloetta, and U-turn surprises opponents to give you momentum. Focus Blast can be used to hit steels like Ferrothorn, which this team struggles with, especially once Pangoro was exchanged. Meloetta is a wincon for most of my games due to its power, speed, and natural bulk. TS boosts are perfect for offensive Melo.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Many players don't expect defensive Scizor anymore, and often think my team lacks hazard removal, only to be dissapointed. Mega Scizor serves as kind of a check-all for offensive threats, except powerful wallbreakers. Its Bullet Punch and U-turn are powerful even uninvested, and are great priority and momentum giving moves.

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

The wallbreaker of the team. With Mold Breaker, even things like Quagsire are going down. Its massive attack stat just grows, and it really appreciates the +5 boost to speed, as it now outpaces base 100s. Poison Jab hits Clefable, but does not OHKO max-def Clefable without some chip damage. Wincon against stall.

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Bonemerang
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

To finish the team, an unused mon that is an absolute beast. Boasting a 656 attack stat with Thick Club, nothing is switching in. It has the natural bulk to live most hits, making up for its bad speed. Stealth Rock support is lovely, and Stone Edge and Knock off are great coverage. Bonemerang absolutely devastates opponents, nomatter stall or offense. I like its ability to break substitutes and kill Sash leads, and because its cool, but Earthquake can be used by the more conventional player.

Threatlist

A threatlist is kind of hard to make for TS, as there are so many viable threats due to boosts. There are bound to be many, so I'll just list a few mains here.
Tyrantrum: Scarf Tyrantrum is really scary. It can outspeed everything on this team, and Scizor can barely handle it. Wallbreakers in general threaten this team, as they do most balance teams.
Ferrothorn: Steels are really hard for this team, as I lack a fire move or fighting STAB since Pangoro is gone. Opting for Focus Blast on Meloetta may be a good idea.
Scizor: Another steel, threatens for same reasons, except moreso. If this starts setting up, there is trouble. Marowak can deal massive damage if its Thick Club doesn't get knocked off, or Lanturn can fish for a burn, buena suerte.
Offensive Dark-Types: Tyranitar, Krookodile, or even lesser threats like Shiftry/Kekturne are massive threats as I have no Dark resist. Torn-T can usually revenge kill, though. Also, Most Dark-Types have trouble breaking Scizor.

Other Options
Haxorus --> Crawdaunt: This slot is really open to the wallbreaker of your choosing. Haxorus has the advantage of speed and Mold Breaker, but Crawdaunt has immediate power, and Mold Breaker has less importance with Quagsire's rise to OU. A choice band Crawdaunt set may fit the team very well.
Marowak --> Heatran/Infernape: This change would fix the problem with Ferrothorn and Scizor, and keep Stealth Rock support. They can run taunt to prevent stall from keeping an advantage as well. Infernape can even run recovery via Slack Off. However, they are nowhere near as powerful as Marowak, and they just aren't as cool. Also, the team would become very weak to ground.

Conclusion

This team has had a lot of success in several different places. Tier Shift is really fun as you the threats are really diverse. I think a lot of players get turned off by the presence of stall, but it really isn't that hard to break with boosted wallbreakers. Also, stall is probably going to be a little bit worse since Quagsire and Amoongus went to OU. I encourage everyone, especially players that like lower tiers, to try TS. If you don't know where to get started, give this team I try. Edit it to your liking, tell me what you changed in the comments!
Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick
- U-turn

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 104 HP / 224 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
- Volt Switch

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Bonemerang
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)