Ladder Tier Shift ORAS [Swift Swim Unbanned; Check Post #95 for some info]

I'd like to post my thoughts here on VR in TS, and why every time we try to do it we come up short or create something that just isn't representative of the actual meta.

We simply don't have enough people that play at a high enough level or often enough. This translates into a problem in two ways. There is not accurate representation because there are things that have either not been played with or barely experimented with, meaning that things that should be ranked higher are ranked lower or not ranked at all. Secondly, having so few people that actually play TS on a dedicated basis means that certain mons ranks are overblown by people that use them often. One example is how we had Sharpedo at S for so long. We figured it was so great against offense (it's still pretty good) because it matched up well against most of our preferred archetypes of offense. I've also noticed that since the community that mains TS is so small, we tend to mooch ideas off of one another, ending up with very similar teambuilding patterns. I've noticed that Peef and DTK especially have very similar ways of building teams, and they are both fairly similar to KS (based on what few teams he actually builds). I can't really say the same for anyone else because these are the three guys I play the most, but seeing as these 3 all used to be or are part of the VR team/council it's fairly evident that stuff like this, where mons are bandwagoned, happened a lot.

So, in order to have an accurate VR we need both a larger playerbase and a more diverse, talented playerbase, neither of which are happening very fast. Conquest is definitely helping, but I'd like to emphasize (as I have like a billion times before) that if you care about developing TS, we need people that will post a LOT. Momentum in this thread is the key to bringing in new talent.

I care a lot about it and I have had time. NO ONE wants a sob story, but I am actually terminally ill, and I am going to start trvaeling this week. I'd LOVE to help. I've played a lot, I've spent a lot of time doing it being ill, and I have time. Right not I am going for a week to see the pacific Northwest, but when I am back count me in if I can help.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
I have a question about the game Mehanics...

If you MEGA EvoLVE DOES GARCHOMP BECOME A UU BOOSTED MONSTER?

I was not sure how UU megas worked, if at all =p for a sandstorm team I am really looking for any help!
It depends what tier the mega is in, here are a few examples:

Abomasnow gets NU boosts
Abomasnow-Mega gets UU boosts because it is a couple tiers higher

Garchomp gets OU boosts
Garchomp-Mega also gets OU boosts, because it is OU by default due to Garchomp being OU (MegaChomp is not legal in UU so it doesn't get UU boosts)

Also, if a mon's Mega is in a higher tier and it is holding its mega stone, then the initial HP of the mon is calculated using the mega's change (so Abomasnow @ Abomasite would have 95 base HP). All other stats are calculated by the base mon and change when you click Mega (at least I'm pretty sure this is how it works now)

Abomasnow gets NU boosts

Garchomp gets OU boosts
Garchomp-Mega also gets OU boosts, because it is OU by default due to Garchomp being OU (MegaChomp is not legal in UU so it doesn't get UU boosts)

Also, if a mon's Mega is in a higher tier and it is holding its mega stone, then the initial HP of the mon is calculated using the mega's change (so Abomasnow @ Abomasite would have 95 base HP). All other stats are calculated by the base mon and change when you click Mega (at least I'm pretty sure this is how it works now)
Mega dos and Garchomp see the epitome of the abyss of Borderline talent...

bleh.

Thank you. I wish there was someway to maybe have mega chomp at leat get it's Base stats if not Hp to change to UU....

Who the hell decided UNBANNING SWIFT SWIM was a good idea?

Do you want to completely over centralize the meta? That's fine, this is gen 5.

This is a really bad unban and very sudden!!!

IDK why the unban was sudden without any real suspect back in or an attempt to see what it'd feel like... It's become a completely unreal equation to live up to. Is there any legit way to complain and register complaints with this?

I felt like tier shift is going to be a shut down seattle grungefest. rain everday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abomasnow gets NU boosts

Garchomp gets OU boosts

This is wrong. A while ago (albeit I guess it could be considered recently,) Mega mechanics were changed. This should be in the OP (tagging Peef Rimgar,) but as long as the non-mega Pokemon is holding its mega stone, it gets boosts from the mega form's tier. An example could be Mega Sableye. Since Sableye is holding Sablenite, despite Sableye being UU, it WOULD NOT get any boosts (as Sablenite is OU.) However, a Sableye holding Leftovers WOULD receive the boosts. This is really weird and quite frankly I don't understand the purpose of it. I would personally much rather have it work the same way it always used to, but w/e.

e- also I agree with you on the suddenness and perhaps rashness of the unban. Swift Swim definitely deserved the ban (coming from someone who was on the council and voted otherwise during the suspect fsr.) The metagame was in a fairly good shape before this, really the only reason for an unban would be to generate discussion, which it obviously has not done.

This is wrong. A while ago (albeit I guess it could be considered recently,) Mega mechanics were changed. This should be in the OP (tagging Peef Rimgar,) but as long as the non-mega Pokemon is holding its mega stone, it gets boosts from the mega form's tier. An example could be Mega Sableye. Since Sableye is holding Sablenite, despite Sableye being UU, it WOULD NOT get any boosts (as Sablenite is OU.) However, a Sableye holding Leftovers WOULD receive the boosts. This is really weird and quite frankly I don't understand the purpose of it. I would personally much rather have it work the same way it always used to, but w/e.

e- also I agree with you on the suddenness and perhaps rashness of the unban. Swift Swim definitely deserved the ban (coming from someone who was on the council and voted otherwise during the suspect fsr.) The metagame was in a fairly good shape before this, really the only reason for an unban would be to generate discussion, which it obviously has not done.
THANK YOU for the informed information. No offense, but i really wish No one had ACCIDENTALLY (I hope they didn't lie on purpose) mislead me. I currently have a sandforce Mega Steelix working it in there sitting at like 335 special defense.

I will try to fit MEGA UU GARCHOMP into this mess. =p
Mega Garchomp isn't UU -- there are no Mega Pokemon that are tiered lower than their base form, so Mega Evolution will either cause stat drops or no change at all.
So does it actually just exist only in OU despite it's usage?

Last edited:
Mega Pokemon cannot be tiered below their base form. This is because you could give Garchomp a Garchompite, but never chose to Mega Evolve, so you'd essentially be using an OU Pokemon in UU. There are also Pokemon that have the usage to be UU, but were banned from UU (i.e. Mega Pidgeot) and thus they get +0 like an OU Pokemon.

It's quite simple, really. Just ask yourself what is the lowest tier you can use a certain set, that is the boost you get. Where can you use Garchomp? OU, no boosts. Where can you use Sablenite? OU, no boosts. Where can you use Drizzle? OU, no boosts. Where can you you use Chatter? NU, +15. Where can you use Mawile? PU, +20.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)