LC Timburr

[OVERVIEW]

Timburr's strong offensive typing, high Attack stat, and decent bulk make it a terrific glue Pokemon on a variety of team styles. It has an excellent movepool, including a strong STAB priority move in Mach Punch, semi-reliable recovery with Drain Punch, and a variety of coverage options including Knock Off, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch and Poison Jab. Furthermore, Defog makes Timburr one of the best entry hazard removers in the tier, especially since it resists Stealth Rock and can check common hazard setters such as Ferroseed and Onix. Timburr has two excellent abilities, allowing it to perform different roles on a team. Iron Fist increases immediate wallbreaking potential, while Guts allows Timburr to act as a status absorber. However, its typing leaves it weak to the common Flying-types in the tier, notably Vullaby and Wingull, and it is commonly walled by Poison- and Fairy-types such as Oddish and Spritzee. It is also limited by a mediocre Speed stat and has to run significant investment to attempt to outspeed its checks at the cost of offensive power or bulk.

[SET]
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Drain Punch
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Mach Punch
move 4: Defog / Thunder Punch / Fire Punch
item: Eviolite
ability: Iron Fist / Guts
nature: Adamant
evs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Drain Punch's recovery is important for keeping Timburr healthy and allowing it to face foes such as Onix and Ferroseed one-on-one. Mach Punch revenge kills faster threats such as Vullaby, Dragon Dance Scraggy, and Dragon Dance Onix. Knock Off allows Timburr to weaken all foes by removing their items while also hitting Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively. Defog is used to remove all entry hazards on the field, helping teammates to switch in more easily. Thunder Punch hits Mareanie, Vullaby, and Dewpider which can otherwise switch into Timburr. Fire Punch hits Oddish and Croagunk hard and is more powerful in sun. Ice Punch can also be run to hit Oddish, Vullaby, and Mudbray super effectively.

Set Details
========

The EV spread gives Timburr the ability to 2HKO key threats such as Mareanie and Oddish with the appropriate coverage move while maintaining significant bulk. Alternative EV spreads can be run to customize which foes Timburr will perform better against. For example, a spread of 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Def with an Adamant nature can be used so that Timburr isn't OHKOed by Adamant Vullaby's Brave Bird; this spread is also the best against opposing Timburr and other physical attackers such as Onix. It is worth noting that Timburr's Speed is also somewhat customizable. Running 156 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed anything up to 17 Speed after Sticky Web, and 76 Speed EVs outspeed standard defensive Oddish sets. Iron Fist is typically used on this set to improve the damage output of Drain Punch, Mach Punch, and coverage punches. Guts is an alternative option that allows Timburr to fare better against potential burns from Ponyta, Koffing, and other status users.

Usage Tips
========

Timburr is an excellent switch-in to Ferroseed, Onix, and Pawniard and can generate offensive momentum by forcing them to switch out. It is good to keep the opponent guessing Timburr's moveset, since a Knock Off into a suitable coverage move can help make huge progress in a game. Early-game, Timburr should attempt to punish expected switches by using Knock Off. This can soften the opponent's team up for teammates to take advantage of late-game. Alternatively, it should use Defog on expected switches to remove entry hazards, particularly Sticky Web. Timburr can be used to counter common physical setup sweepers such as Onix and Shellder. If the team is weak to such sweepers, Timburr should be preserved to prevent a late-game sweep and should avoid having its item removed by Knock Off. If Guts is being used, Timburr can switch into expected Will-O-Wisp from Ponyta or Frillish to gain an Attack boost.

Team Options
========

Flying-types such as Vullaby appreciate Timburr's ability to remove Stealth Rock and switch into Steel- and Rock-types such as Pawniard and Onix. Other Fighting-types, particularly Galarian Farfetch'd, can work with Timburr to break through their shared checks. This works particularly well because Timburr and Galarian Farfetch'd can distribute coverage moves between them, allowing them to break through any Fighting-type check. Setup sweepers such as Shellder and Dragon Dance Onix benefit greatly from Timburr wearing down their checks with Knock Off and chip damage. Fairy-types are a threat to Timburr, so Poison-types such as Mareanie and Oddish help it. The prevalence of Flying-types means that Timburr appreciates switch-ins such as Onix and Pawniard. Pawniard is a particularly good teammate because it can threaten Fairy-, Flying-, and Psychic-types such as Spritzee, Vullaby, and Galarian-Ponyta.

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Drain Punch
move 4: Knock Off / Thunder Punch
ability: Guts
nature: Careful
evs: 76 HP / 36 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bulk Up turns Timburr into a powerful sweeper that many teams will struggle to deal with. Drain Punch is the primary attack for this set, recovering health and boosting longevity. Mach Punch provides revenge killing utility, regardless of whether Timburr is boosted or not. Knock Off allows Timburr to weaken all foes by removing their items while also hitting Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively. It also hits Poison-types like Mareanie and Koffing neutrally, making them more susceptible to Drain Punch. Thunder Punch can be used to hit Mareanie and Vullaby very hard, with Mareanie being particularly threatening because it can set up with Iron Defense. Fire Punch and Poison Jab are alternative coverage options in case the team has trouble with Oddish and Spritzee, respectively, but forgoing Thunder Punch will leave Timburr walled by Mareanie.

Set Details
========

236 Special Defense EVs with a Careful nature and Eviolite prevent Timburr from being easily worn down by special attackers. For example, it significantly reduces the damage from Modest Vullaby's Air Slash, allowing Timburr to take the hit and recover most of the damage with Drain Punch. Guts is the preferred ability, since the boost from burns allows Timburr to take Mareanie one-on-one if it lacks Iron Defense. The EV spread can be customized to help Timburr set up on different foes. For example, it can forgo Special Defense investment in favor of Attack or Speed investment if the team otherwise handles special attackers very well.

Usage Tips
========

This set is best used as a late-game sweeper when its checks have been sufficiently weakened. Try to weaken and pressure Timburr's checks, primarily Spritzee and Oddish, by removing their items and keeping them at low health. Timburr can use Knock Off early-game to make a late-game sweep easier. It can also still act as a check to Rock- and Steel-types, primarily Onix and Pawniard. However, it should be used sparingly against them so that it can retain its item and stay close to full health to help a late-game sweep. It is worth noting that Timburr cannot 2HKO Eviolite Onix with Drain Punch or OHKO Pawniard with Mach Punch, but it can use them as setup opportunities. It is best to use Bulk Up on expected switches and foes that struggle to deal significant damage to Timburr, such as Ferroseed. The uncommonness of the Bulk Up set means that Timburr can bluff a standard bulky attacker set and catch the opponent off guard by setting up later in the game.

Team Options
========

Flying-types like Vullaby can help by switching into and threatening Oddish, which walls Timburr with Strength Sap. Knock Off users such as Vullaby and Pawniard can help weaken Timburr's checks to make a late-game sweep easier. Timburr in turn helps Vullaby by switching into Rock-types like Onix, and Timburr can work with Pawniard to break through defensive cores. Pawniard is a particularly good partner because it punishes Oddish's Strength Sap with Defiant and puts Spritzee under pressure with Knock Off and Iron Head. Switch-ins to Fairy-types such as Ferroseed and Mareanie also help, since they can help pressure Spritzee. Mareanie is particularly useful, as it can remove Toxic Spikes and set Toxic Spikes itself to help wear down Spritzee. Flying-type checks such as Onix and Pawniard are able to switch into threats such as Vullaby. Entry hazard setters such as Ferroseed, Dwebble, and Onix help Timburr by damaging its checks, potentially putting them in KO range. Hazard removal from the likes of Drilbur and Vullaby is also appreciated, since Spikes and Toxic Spikes in particular wear Timburr down.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Poison Jab is an alternative coverage move that allows Timburr to hit Spritzee hard, but the lack of coverage elsewhere means it should only be used on teams that struggle with Spritzee. Timburr can run multiple elemental punch moves to act as a lure for checks. Toxic is an option to reduce the longevity of bulky foes with reliable recovery such as Shellos, Spritzee, and Roost Vullaby.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Spritzee and Cottonee switch into Timburr and can KO it with their STAB Fairy-type attacks. Nasty Plot Spritzee is particularly threatening, as it can start setting up on Timburr. Both should be wary of Poison Jab, however.

**Poison-types**: Oddish, Mareanie, Croagunk, and Koffing are all able to switch into Timburr. Oddish can recover its health with Strength Sap, but it should be wary of switching into Ice Punch. Mareanie can set up Iron Defense against Timburr if it lacks Thunder Punch. Koffing completely walls Timburr regardless of coverage, while Croagunk can set up Nasty Plot against it. However, most of these Pokemon struggle to do significant damage to Timburr.

**Flying-types**: Vullaby and Wingull threaten Timburr with their strong STAB attacks, although they should be wary when switching in, since Timburr threatens them with Thunder Punch. Additionally, Vullaby is hit hard by Drain Punch, and Wingull is heavily damaged by Knock Off.

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Galarian Ponyta are particularly threatening because they can switch into Timburr and threaten to KO it with their STAB attacks. However, they should be wary of switching into Knock Off.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[EnzoLapras, 381336]]
- Quality checked by: [[KSG, 32350], [Stoward, 420389], [Nineage, 195129]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Estronic, 240732], [CryoGyro, 331519]]

Last edited by a moderator:
AM Check. Implement only what you agree with.

As such, it often becomes an offensive and defensive glue and is used in a lot of different team-styles.
I would rather call it a great utility option, as it can serve lots of roles from offense to defense.

It has an excellent offensive movepool, with access to Knock Off, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Poison Jab and Fire punch giving it options as to which of its checks it wants to threaten.
I’d call those moves “excellent coverage moves”.

Access to Defog makes it arguably the best hazard remover in the tier, since it beats the most common Stealth Rock setters, Onix and Ferroseed, in a 1v1.
I would rather rephrase this to:

“Access to Defog makes it one of the best hazard removers in the tier, since it beats Stealth Rock setters, such as Onix, Ferroseed, and Pawniard, in a 1v1.”

Pawniard is now more common than Ferroseed. The reason why I changed the beginning phrase to “one of the” is because Vullaby is also a worthwhile mention.

However, its typing leaves it weak to the common Flying-types in the tier and it is commonly walled by opposing Poison- and Fairy-types.
Mention examples, such as Wingull and Vullaby for Flying-types, Koffing, Oddish, and Mareanie for Poison-types, and Spritzee for Fairy-types.

Mach Punch is a strong STAB priority move capable of providing a KO on weakened, faster threats or providing significant chip damage if Timburr is about to be KOed.
I’d rather replace “providing a KO on” with “revenge killing”, since it is a more useful and more widely accepted term. The part from or onwards is just fluff.

Defog is used to remove all hazards on the field.
Expand on this part

Knock Off is used to remove the foe's item
This is obvious. Try to not explain mechanics in analyses. Instead, try mentioning Pokémon that it can hit that it’s STAB won’t. An example of this is Frillish.

The Defense investment improves its matchup against other physical attackers.
Cite examples

Timburr is an excellent switch into Steel- and Rock-types such as Ferroseed, Onix and Pawniard. In each of these cases, it can easily Defog away any hazards that have been set, which helps offensive teammates such as Vullaby and Wingull switch in more frequently.
You also have to add that you should be careful of Pawniard switching in, as Defiant will boost its attack.

Bulk Up boosts Timburr's Attack and Defense allowing it to do more damage with its attacks while also reducing damage taken from physical attacks.
Again, don’t explain mechanics. Rephrase to “Bulk Up improves Timburr’s physical bulk and offensive power.”

Guts is the preferred ability since it allows Timburr to benefit from burns, which would otherwise cripple it. It means that Timburr can beat Mareanie in a 1v1 assuming the Mareanie does not have Iron Defense.
The —> That

Flying-type checks such as Onix and Pawniard are helpful by being able to switch into threats such as Vullaby.
Also add Chinchou to all your Flying-type checks. It can can use Thunderbolt to check Wingull and Vullaby.

Toxic is an option to reduce the longevity of bulky foes with reliable recovery such as Shellos, Spritzee and Roost Vullaby.
Mention why it can’t fit on the sets.

Checks and Counters
===================
Add Psychic-types to C&C, such as Galarian Ponyta.

I hope this helped you for your QC checks, as well as GP!

Last edited:

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
My view on Timburr is that the first two sets on the analysis should be an all-out attacker and a defogger. I don't think Bulk Up is especially relevant in the current meta and I think it's outclassed generally by the all-out attacker set; it is, in my view, an OO mention, but I will leave this to other QCer's opinions. I think that all-out attacker set should be iron fist / guts with drain mach knock ice punch/pjab/tpunch in some order, with the spread being fairly malleable. The defogger should be iron fist / guts with drain mach knock defog, with other coverage options mentioned in the set comments to be used over knock but with knock getting clear preference.

With that said:

[SET]
bulky attacker
  • With the bulky attacker and defog sets now separated, knock should stand alone.
  • I think the order in slot four should be ice punch / tpunch / pjab. I think Ice Punch is best for its ability to break open teams that rely on Oddish as their only fighting check which are pretty common. Pjab is the most situational of these (teams that need to wear down Spritzee) and thus should be last.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Mention the importance of Drain Punch's recovery in keeping Timburr alive throughout a game and allowing it to best 1v1 mons like Onix, Vullaby (with proper defensive EVs from full), Shellder, and other physical sweepers that cannot break it in one hit.
  • Mention what Mach Punch's priority is useful for checking, such as NP Vull, DD Onix, Scraggy, and Pawniard.
  • Mention that Timburr's ability to force out common mons like Onix and Pawniard allows it to knock off other teams' bulky mons freely, making progress against mons like Mare, Spritzee, and Oddish.
  • Emphasize Timburr's ability to weaken teams with knock by removing items before mentioning psychic/ghosts types that are fairly rare (really just Frillish, Pony-G, and Natu)
  • Mention that Thunderpunch hits Shellos and Ice Punch hits Drilbur and Mudbray.
  • There really aren't relevant fairies other than Spritzee, so I'd change this comment to emphasize that pjab can be run on teams that need help wearing down Spritzee and preventing it from switching in for free.

Set Details
========
  • I think this spread is fine for the analysis spread, but you should mention that Timburr's spread is fairly malleable, including 12 Spe variants that outspeed 17 speeders under webs, 11 speed variants that outspeed standard Oddish, and 15 Def which almost always live Vullaby Brave Bird from full.
  • 14/12 defenses are mainly for eviolite numbers I think, but you should mention that Timburr can run up to 15 def to better match up with Vullaby.
  • Mention that Eviolite is crucial for Timburr's ability to absorb hits like Onix EQs repeatedly over the course of a game, and for surviving hits from physical sweepers like Shellder.
  • Mention that Iron Fist is preferred for its boosted damage output and allowing Timburr to win more 1v1s, especially with physical sweepers.
  • Remove the physically-biased (?) comment and emphasize here that Guts is most useful for teams that are otherwise lacking a Ponyta check. Shellos, Koffing, Frillish, and to a lesser extent Mareanie may also be worth mentions here.
  • Just move this alternative EV stuff up to the part of the paragraph with the other EV comments.
  • Remove the speed investment for Mare comment. Mare tends to be 14 speed at a minimum, meaning Timburr can only tie it at best, and I don't think turbo Timburr is worth a mention in an analysis like this.

Usage Tips
========

• I think saying "steel- and rock- types" here is superfluous, as you really just mean these three mons. Replace the defog comment with something about how Timburr can generate offensive momentum by getting in against these mons and forcing a switch.
  • Timburr isn't really worth preserving as a Zigzagoon check given that it can die from full from +6 espeed; Onix and Scraggy are better mentions here.
  • Mention that Timburr should be used to force hard switches for your opponent and keep them guessing about your coverage option, as knocks and good coverage move predictions can often break a game open.
  • I don't think it's necessary to mention that Timburr shouldn't stay in on all these mons that kill it.

Team Options
========
  • I don't think Wingull really relies on Timburr switching into rock or steel types other than maybe Ferro. Vullaby likes Timburr pressure Onix and Pawniard more specifically.
  • Mention Timburr's synergy with late-game setup sweepers that appreciate its ability to knock and soften teams, such as NP Vull, DD Onix, and Shellder.

[SET]
Bulk Up

• We're not supposed to have more than three slashes here, so I'd cut Ice Punch and probably Poison Jab too since these are the most niche options on the set and fit more awkwardly when you only have three attacks. Both can be mentioned in the set comments as additional options should you really want to break Oddish/Spritzee.
  • I have not used much of this set, but I wonder about this EV spread. With 15 atk and Guts, unboosted Drain Punch almost never 2HKOs Evio Onix, which doesn't seem great. I don't have the answer here, though, just something to consider.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves

• Instead of literally describing what Bulk Up does, contextualize how it makes Timburr into a powerful sweeper that many teams will struggle to kill.
  • Instead of specifying health lost during BU, just say that Drain Punch allows Timburr to recover health and boost its longevity.
  • Just say Mach Punch is threatening priority that can provide utility for revenge-killing even when Timburr is unboosted.
  • Mention that Knock Off also hits Mareanie and Koffing neutrally while making them more pliable for Drain Punch.

Set Details

• I don't think you need to be so specific with this Vullaby scenario; you can just say Timburr lives that hit.
  • Mention that Guts also helps against common wisp users like Koffing, Frillish, and Ponyta, and lets Timburr soft-check Ponyta.
  • I think Iron Fist can be mentioned as an option for more immediate power (even run with a more offensive spread) but that Guts is preferred for burn absorption.

Usage Tips

• Mention what checks need to be weakened - Spritzee, Oddish, etc, since Timburr cannot possibly beat these 1v1 without the right coverage move
  • If you keep this spread, mention here that Drain does not 2hko Eviolite Onix and Mach does not OHKO Evio Pawniard. Do mention that you can set up on them, though.
  • Might mention some scenarios where bluffing the other set helps you.

Team Options
  • Might be wise here to mention some ways of sufficiently pressuring Spritzee/Oddish, since they can often just switch out of the mons that threaten them. Maybe mention tspikes for Spritzee or mons that set up on these two.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• I have never heard of Sheer Force LO Timburr. What does Sheer Force even help you hit harder than Iron Fist? I'd remove this.
  • Rock Tomb is similarly not an option I've heard of; what is switching in to Timburr that you need to slow down? Stone Edge was viable in Cutie meta, but I don't think this is. I'd remove.
  • Might move Bulk Up here. Waiting for more QC feedback.

Checks and Counters
===================
  • Mention that Oddish needs to be wary of Ice Punch.
  • Vullaby and Wingull are also hit hard by Drain Punch and Knock Off respectively. Wingull is frail enough that it probably shouldn't be relied upon as a Timburr switch-in unless you knock Mach is coming.
  • Mention Mareanie before Koffing and Croagunk. It is threatened by Thunderpunch, but it can also use Iron Defense to set up on non-tpunch Timburr.

I will stamp this QC 1/3 once the changes are implemented, including a defog set.

Last edited:

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
We decided to keep Bulk Up. This QC is good to go. Tag me when every thing is implemented.

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
OVERVIEW

• It has access to a strong STAB priority move in Mach Punch, and semi-reliable recovery with Drain Punch.
Elaborate that this allows it to act as a solid revenge killer, despite its otherwise mediocre speed tier.

• Access to Defog makes it one of the best hazard remover in the tier, since it beats the most common Stealth Rock setters, Onix and Ferroseed, in a 1v1.
Also add that it takes minimal damage from Stealth Rock and can also recover off damage it takes from hazards with Drain Punch.

• Iron Fist gives Timburr a boost to all punching moves, including Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, and Fire Punch.
  • Guts allows it to acts a status absorber, allowing it's Attack stat to become extremely high if switched into a Will-O-Wisp at the right time.
Merge these 2 points and just say that Timburr has 2 fantastic abilities depending on what role you wish for Timburr to perform and very briefly elaborate on what they do. Also don't mention OO moves in the overview.
  • However, its typing leaves it weak to the common Flying-types in the tier, notably Vullaby and Wingull, and it is commonly walled by opposing Poison- and Fairy-types, such as Oddish and Spritzee
  • It is limited by a mediocre Speed stat, and has to run significant investment to attempt to outspeed its checks, at the cost of offensive power or bulk.

[SET]
name: Defogger
move 1: Defog

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Mach Punch is a strong STAB priority move capable of revenge killing weakened, faster threats or providing significant chip damage if Timburr is about to be KOed. If also helps check setup sweepers such as Nasty Plot Vullaby, Dragon Dance Scraggy and Dragon Dance Onix.
I'd probably rephrase this just to say that it's capable of revenge killing faster weakened threats and then list those as examples as it kind of implies that it beats these threats thanks to Mach Punch, whereas all of these foes need to be weakened to be KOed by Mach Punch.
  • Knock Off allows Timburr to weaken all foes by removing their items, while also hitting Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively. Since Timburr forces out common threats such as Onix and Pawniard, it is able to pressure defensive pokemon such as Spritzee, Mareanie and Oddish by removing their items.
  • Thunder Punch is able to hit Mareanie, Vullaby and Dewpider super-effectively, all of which can otherwise switch into Timburr. In the case of Dewpider, it can pressure it into switching out and not setting Sticky Webs.

Set Details
========

• Eviolite is used to bolster its defenses, making good use of the Defense and Special Defense investment. It is crucial for allowing Timburr to live hits from Onix's Earthquake and Pawniard's Iron Head.
I'd probably just state when you're talking about the Def and SpD investment that this is paired with Eviolite, rather than make a separate sentence about Eviolite

Usage Tips
========
:blobthumbsup:

Team Options
========

• Sturdy users such as Dwebble and Onix appreciate Timburr keeping hazards off the field to improve their longevity and give them more opportunity to set up Shell Smash and Dragon Dance respectively.
I'd either remove this point entirely or rephrase it to state how Timburr benefits from having these Pokemon on its team. Since you've mentioned the main benefit of Onix being able to check Flying-types further down. I'd probably just remove this point.

• Fairy-types are a threat to Timburr, so Poison-types such as Mareanie and Oddish help Timburr by switching into and threatening opposing Fairy-types.

Also elaborate that these Pokemon remove Toxic Spikes, making it easier for Timburr to focus on removing other entry hazards
  • Pawniard is a particularly good teammate because it can threaten opposing Fairy-, Flying-, and even the rare Psychic-types.
Give examples

[SET]
move 2: Mach Punch
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Ice Punch / Thunder Punch / Poison Jab

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Thunder Punch should be first slash.

Set Details
========

Same comment about Eviolite that I said in the last set applies.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Just make to mention any teammates that have the ability to set hazards. Having a bullet about hazard setters is pretty cliche, as every Pokemon benefits from hazards weakening checks, however it's always worth pointing out which teammates can provide hazard support.

[SET]
evs: EVs: 76 HP / 36 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Knock Off is mainly used as coverage for Ghost-types, while also softening up other foes for teammates or to increase Drain Punch damage. It also hits Poison-types like Mareanie and Koffing neutrally, making them more susceptible to Drain Punch.
Knock Off really isn't for Ghost types. Like it is, but the only Ghost that has any usage whatsoever is Frillish and it's only 5%. It's mostly used for weakening checks and is rather spammable early game due to the sheer number of switches that Timburr forces. Also it hits Galarian Ponyta. I think you mention it pretty well in the first 2 sets so probably just repeat it again here.

• Thunder Punch can be used to hit Mareanie and Vullaby very hard. Mareanie is particularly threatening as it can set up Iron Defense.
  • Ice Punch and Poison Jab are alternative coverage options in case the team has trouble with Oddish and Spritzee respectively.
Just mention that you're potentially walled by Mareanie if you run these coverage options.

Set Details
========

Same comment about Eviolite that I said in the last set applies.

Usage Tips
========

Probably just add something about how early game Timburr can use Knock Off to remove items of its checks to make its job easier later on.

Team Options
========

• Timburr needs help removing its checks before it can attempt to sweep.
I feel like this statement applies to literally every sweeper. Team options feel rather weak here. Would like to see how Timburr can also help these partners. Also talk about hazard setters (Onix, Ferroseed and Pawniard can set SR and Ferroseed is especially useful as it can provide spikes).
Removal of hazards - especially Toxic Spikes is also important for Timburr's longevity.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Feel free to hold off on implementing this until the third check, but I personally feel like Thunder Punch and Ice Punch are much better coverage options than Poison Jab and I feel like Pjab is top of OO material. I honestly think that the moves that Timburr has in its movepool already are good enough as they are so you don't really need to resort to ever running Toxic. Timburr is a breaker and its movepool is good enough as it is to hit everything for at least neutral damage if you need it.

Checks and Counters

This analysis is huge and Timburr is one of the most defining mons in the meta right now, so I'd like to take another look before I stamp this.

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Mention in the moves section in the first set that Drain Punch, Mach Punch and Knock Off are all staple moves in any Timburr moveset and then just reiterate that in the other 2 sections rather than repeat what it does. I know I asked you to repeat stuff before but the repetitiveness of this analysis bothered me a fair bit. I'm not too sure what can be done about the set details for the first 2 sets, as they're literally exactly the same, so I guess it's fine to have the same things there.

Looks good, get writing.

2/3

1589238557904.png

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Major things:
1. Overall, I actually think there's too much detail in this. It's well done, but I'm have some suggestions to hone in on the most important information.
2. I'm going to have you condense the first two sets. This has been discussed by the QC team. I'm sorry to have had you do extra work for nothing.

This check is going to be time consuming to implement. Please tag me when you have done so and I'll give it a look before I stamp it.

[OVERVIEW]
  • I've condensed your introduction a bit below. If you disagree with any of the changes, please let me know.
Timburr's strong offensive typing, high Attack stat, and decent bulk make it a terrific glue Pokemon on a variety of team styles. It has an excellent movepool, including a strong STAB priority move in Mach Punch, semi-reliable recovery with Drain Punch, and a variety of coverage options including Knock Off, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch and Poison Jab. Furthermore, access to Defog makes Timburr one of the best hazard removers in the tier, especially since it resists Stealth Rock and can checks common hazard setters such as Ferroseed and Onix. Timburr has two excellent abilities, allowing it to perform different roles on a team. Iron Fist improves immediate damage output, increasing its wallbreaking potential, while Guts allows Timburr to act as a status absorber. However, its typing leaves it weak to the common Flying-types in the tier, notably Vullaby and Wingull, and it is commonly walled by opposing Poison- and Fairy-types, such as Oddish and Spritzee. It is limited by a mediocre Speed stat, and has to run significant investment to attempt to outspeed its checks, at the cost of offensive power or bulk.

[SET] (new set)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Update to reflect the new moves. Feel free to take stuff from the below analysis.
  • Add Ice Punch as a move mention here (but not a slash)
  • Remove the second sentence ("staple moves")
  • I wouldn't specify "Nasty Plot Vullaby" - it revenge kills offensive WA Vull as well. Just say "Vullaby"
  • Remove the sentence starting with "Since Timburr forces out..."
  • Remove the last sentence
Set Details
========
Ideally, this can be about four sentences - 1 summarizing the spread, 1 summarizing the alternate spread, 1 on Iron Fist and 1 on Guts. I don't mind if you go over this (and I'm certainly not requiring you to), I only mention it because it gives an idea of how you can cut this section down on both sets. Here is a possible way to condense:
  • The first few sentences feel like they are rehashing information that you can get from the set. I wouldn't go into specific reasoning for Attack/Defense, just say something like "The given EV spread grants Timburr the ability to 2HKO key threats such as Mareanie and Oddish with the appropriate coverage move while maintaining significant bulk"
  • Then go immediately into the alternate spreads
  • Condense the Iron Fist information into one sentence (say it boosts Drain Punch, Mach Punch, and any punching coverage moves).
  • Change the last two sentences to say that Guts allows Timburr to fare better against potential burns from the likes of pony etc.
Usage Tips
========
  • Make sure to emphasize that the primary aim of this set is no longer defogging
  • The transition "While its primary aim is hazard control" is a bit of an over generalization, maybe use a different phrase
  • In the section about when to keep Timbrur healthy, mention something about not letting it get knocked off

Team Options
========
  • Combine this with the options from below
  • Remove "They also remove Toxic Spikes, allowing Timburr to focus on removing other hazards" - Timburr removes all hazards anyway

[SET]
Remove set #2

[SET] (keep this one, but replace Ice Punch with Fire Punch)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • This is very good, but replace Ice Punch with Fire Punch

Set Details
========
  • Remove "The Defense investment helps make best use of the Defense boost provided by Eviolite."
  • The Guts/Mareanie point feels a little bit long, but it IS relevant information. Consider trying to work it into checks and counters instead, but I'm fine having it here if you can't.
Usage Tips
========
  • Good

Team Options
========
  • Good

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Remove Fire Punch
  • Put Poison Jab here
  • Mention the possibility of running more than one elemental punch as a lure

Checks and Counters
===================
  • Mention that some of these Poison types struggle to damage Timburr

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In the fire punch point on the first set, don't mention ferroseed, but mention that Fire Punch is good in sun (which is common)

Other than that, terrific work implementing a massive check. 3/3

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove (comments)
[OVERVIEW]

Timburr's strong offensive typing, high Attack stat, and decent bulk make it a terrific glue Pokemon on a variety of team styles. It has an excellent movepool, including a strong STAB priority move in Mach Punch, semi-reliable recovery with Drain Punch, and a variety of coverage options including Knock Off, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch and Poison Jab. Furthermore, access to Defog makes Timburr one of the best hazard removers in the tier, especially since it resists Stealth Rock and can check common hazard setters such as Ferroseed and Onix. Timburr has two excellent abilities, allowing it to perform different roles on a team. Iron Fist improves immediate damage output, increasing its wallbreaking potential, while Guts allows Timburr to act as a status absorber. However, its typing leaves it weak to the common Flying-types in the tier, notably Vullaby and Wingull, and it is commonly walled by opposing Poison- and Fairy-types, such as Oddish and Spritzee. It is also limited by a mediocre Speed stat, (RC) and has to run significant investment to attempt to outspeed its checks, (RC) at the cost of offensive power or bulk.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Drain Punch is the primary STAB attack, capable of dealing significant damage and granting proportional recovery. The recovery is important for keeping it healthy and allowing it to 1v1 face foes such as Onix and Ferroseed one-on-one. Mach Punch is a strong STAB priority move capable of revenge killing faster threats such as Vullaby, Dragon Dance Scraggy, (AC) and Dragon Dance Onix. Knock Off allows Timburr to weaken all foes by removing their items, (RC) while also hitting Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively. Defog is used to remove all hazards on the field, helping its teammates to switch in easier more easily. Thunder Punch is able to hit Mareanie, Vullaby, (AC) and Dewpider super-effectively, all of which can otherwise switch into Timburr. Fire Punch allows Timburr to hit Oddish and Croagunk hard, (RC) while also having its power boosted by Sun under sun. Ice Punch can also be run to hit Oddish, Vullaby, (AC) and Mudbray super effectively.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is chosen to give Timburr the ability to 2HKO key threats such as Mareanie and Oddish with the appropriate coverage move while maintaining significant bulk. Alternative EV spreads can be run to customise customize which foes Timburr will perform better against. For example, a spread of 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Def with an Adamant nature can be used so that Timburr isn't OHKOed by Adamant Vullaby's Brave Bird; this spread is also the best against opposing Timburr and other physical attackers such as Onix. It is worth noting that Timburr's Speed is also somewhat customisable customizable. Running 12 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed anything up to 17 Speed under Sticky Webs, and 11 Speed (it's not really clear on what these numbers are specifically referring to so make sure to clarify that) allows it to outspeed standard Defensive defensive Oddish sets. Iron Fist is typically used on this set to improve the damage output of Drain Punch, Mach Punch, (AC) and any other punching moves that are used for coverage. Guts is an alternative option that allows Timburr to fare better against potential burns from Ponyta, Koffing, (AC) and other status setters.

Usage Tips
========

Timburr is an excellent switch-in (AH) to Ferroseed, Onix, (AC) and Pawniard, (RC) and can generates offensive momentum by forcing hard switches them to switch out (assuming this is what you mean). It is good to keep the opponent guessing Timburr's moveset, since a Knock Off into a suitable coverage move can help make huge progress in a game. In the early Early-game, Timburr should attempt to punish expected switches by using Knock Off to remove the foe's item. This can soften the opponent's team up for teammates to take advantage of in the late-game. Alternatively, it should use Defog on expected (expected what?) to remove entry hazards that have been set, particularly Sticky Web. Timburr can be used to counter common physical setup sweepers such as Onix and Shellder. If the team is weak to such sweepers, Timburr should be preserved until the late-game to prevent a late-game sweep and should avoid having its item knocked off removed due to Knock Off. If Guts is being used, Timburr can switch into an expected Will-O-Wisps from Ponyta and or Frillish to gain an Attack boost.

Team Options
========

Flying-types such as Vullaby appreciate Timburr's ability to switch into Steel- and Rock-types, (RC) such as Onix and Pawniard Pawniard and Onix, which can threaten them. They also appreciate Stealth Rock removal being removed, which increases their longevity in a battle. Other Fighting-types, particularly Galarian-Farfetch'd (RH), pair well with Timburr, since they can work together to break through their shared checks. This works particularly well because Timburr and Galarian-Farfetch'd (RH) can distribute coverage moves between them, allowing them to break through any fighting Fighting-type check. Setup sweepers such as Shellder and Dragon Dance Onix benefit greatly from Timburr, (AC) being able to wear down their checks with Knock Off and by accruing accrue chip damage on them. Fairy-types are a threat to Timburr, so Poison-types such as Mareanie and Oddish help Timburr it by switching into and threatening opposing Fairy-types. The prevalence of Flying-types means that Timburr appreciates a teammates such as Onix and Pawniard that can switch into Flying-type attacks. Onix and Pawniard are good at this, making them excellent teammates. Pawniard is a particularly good teammate because it can threaten opposing Fairy-, Flying-, and even the rare Psychic-types such as Spritzee, Vullaby and Galarian-Ponyta. Fairy- and Flying-types such as Spritzee and Vullaby as well as the rare Psychic-types such as Galarian Ponyta.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bulk Up boosts Timburr's Attack and Defense, turning it into a powerful sweeper which that many teams will struggle to deal with. Drain Punch is the primary attack for this set, allowing it to recover health and boost its longevity. Mach Punch used as a threatening priority move which that provides revenge killing utility, (AC) regardless of whether Timburr is boosted or not. Knock Off allows Timburr to weaken all foes by removing their items, (RC) while also hitting Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively. It also hits Poison-types like Mareanie and Koffing neutrally, making them more susceptible to Drain Punch. Thunder Punch can be used to hit Mareanie and Vullaby very hard, (period -> comma) with Mareanie is being particularly threatening as because it can set up with Iron Defense. Fire Punch and Poison Jab are alternative coverage options in case the team has trouble with Oddish and Spritzee, (AC) respectively, but forgoing Thunder Punch will leave Timburr walled by Mareanie.

Set Details
========

236 Special Defense is fully EVs are (i know evs in lc are wack but this is just to be more clearer for newer players) invested with a Careful nature and Eviolite to prevent Timburr from being easily worn down by special attackers. For example, it significantly reduces the damage from Modest Vullaby's Air Slash, allowing Timburr to take the hit and recover most of the damage with Drain Punch. Guts is the preferred ability, since the boost from burns allows it to 1v1 take Mareanie one-on-one if it lacks Iron Defense. The EV spread can be customised customized to help Timburr set up on different foes. For example, it can forgo Special Defense investment in favour favor of Attack or Speed investment if the team otherwise handles special attackers very well.

Usage Tips
========

This set is best used as a late-game sweeper, capable of sweeping when its checks have been sufficiently weakened. Try to weaken and pressure Timburr's checks, primarily Spritzee and Oddish, by removing their items and keeping them at low health where when possible. Timburr can use Knock Off in the early-game (AH) to make a late-game sweep easier. It can also still act as a check to Rock- and Steel-types, primarily Onix and Pawniard. However, it should be used sparingly against these them so that it can retain its item and stay close to max full health to help a late-game sweep. It is worth noting that Timburr cannot 2HKO Eviolite Onix with Drain Punch or OHKO Pawniard with Mach Punch, but it can use them as setup opportunities. It is best to use Bulk Up on expected switches or on foes which and foes that struggle to deal significant damage to Timburr, such as Ferroseed. The uncommonness of the Bulk Up set means that Timburr can bluff a standard Bulky Attacker bulky attacker set, (RC) and catch the opponent off-guard (RH) by setting up later in the game.

Team Options
========

Flying-types like Vullaby can help by switching into and threatening Oddish, which otherwise walls Timburr with Strength Sap. Knock Off users such as Vullaby and Pawniard can help weaken Timburr's (apostrophe) checks to make a late-game sweep easier. Timburr in turn helps Vullaby by switching into Rock-types like Onix, and Timburr can work with Pawniard to break through defensive cores. Pawniard is a particularly good partner because it prevents Oddish from recovering health with Strength Sap without getting an Attack boost, (RC) thanks to Defiant and puts Spritzee under pressure with Knock Off and Iron Head. Switch-ins to Fairy-types such as Ferroseed and Mareanie also help, (AC) since they can help pressure opposing Spritzee to help Timburr. Mareanie is particularly useful, (AC) as it can remove Toxic Spikes, (RC) and set Toxic Spikes itself to help wear down Spritzee. Flying-type checks such as Onix and Pawniard are helpful by being able to switch into threats such as Vullaby. Entry hazard setters such as Ferroseed, Dwebble, (AC) and Onix help Timburr by helping to damage its checks, potentially putting them in range for a KO. Entry hazard Hazard removal (it's okay to call it hazard removal after calling it entry hazard removal) from the likes of Drilbur and Vullaby is also appreciated, since Spikes and Toxic Spikes in particular wear Timburr down. Drilbur and Vullaby can help Timburr by removing all entry hazards.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Poison Jab is an alternative coverage move which that allow Timburr to hits Spritzee hard, but the lack of coverage elsewhere means it should only be used on teams that struggle with Spritzee. Timburr can run multiple elemental punch moves to act as a lure for opposing checks. Toxic is an option to reduce the longevity of bulky foes with reliable recovery such as Shellos, Spritzee, (AC) and Roost Vullaby.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Spritzee and Cottonee are both able to switch into Timburr and can KO it with their STAB fairy Fairy-types attacks. Nasty Plot Spritzee is particularly threatening, (AC) as it can start setting up on Timburr. Both should be wary of Poison Jab, however.

**Poison-types**: Oddish, Mareanie, Croagunk, (AC) and Koffing are all able to switch into Timburr. Oddish can recover its health with Strength Sap, but it should be wary of switching into Ice Punch. Mareanie can start setting set up Iron Defense if the Timburr lacks Thunderpunch when facing Timburr if it lacks Thunder Punch. Koffing completely walls it Timburr regardless of coverage, while Croagunk can start setting set up Nasty Plot against it. However, most of these pokemon Pokemon struggle to do significant damage to Timburr.

**Flying-types**: Vullaby and Wingull threaten Timburr with their strong STAB attacks, although they should both be wary when switching in, since Timburr threatens both with Thunder Punch. Additionally, (AC) Vullaby is hit hard by Drain Punch, (AC) and Wingull is heavily damaged by Knock Off.

**Psychic-types** Galarian-Ponyta (RH) is particularly threatening because it can switch into Timburr and threaten to KO it with its powerful STAB attacks. However, it should be wary of switching into Knock Off. (is galarian ponyta really the only notable pokemon to mention in this section? i know you mentioned how psychic-types are rare but if it's the only viable pokemon you're gonna mention you may as well change the blurb to just galarian ponyta or list of other psychic-type and add that they are rare to encounter)

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[EnzoLapras, 381336]] (type your name right!!!!!)
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
1/2 :blobthumbsup:
Estronic-GP-small.gif

Last edited:
Set Details
========
Running 12 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed anything up to 17 Speed under Sticky Webs, and 11 Speed (it's not really clear on what these numbers are specifically referring to so make sure to clarify that) allows it to outspeed standard Defensive defensive Oddish sets.

Team Options
========
Setup sweepers such as Shellder and Dragon Dance Onix benefit greatly from Timburr, (AC) being able to wear down their checks with Knock Off and by accruing accrue chip damage on them.

**Psychic-types** Galarian-Ponyta (RH) is particularly threatening because it can switch into Timburr and threaten to KO it with its powerful STAB attacks. However, it should be wary of switching into Knock Off. (is galarian ponyta really the only notable pokemon to mention in this section? i know you mentioned how psychic-types are rare but if it's the only viable pokemon you're gonna mention you may as well change the blurb to just galarian ponyta or list of other psychic-type and add that they are rare to encounter)
Thanks very much for the check Estronic, just to respond to the stuff I quoted:
12 Speed refers to the final speed stat; I changed this to 156 Speed EVs (which result in 12 Speed) and later 76 Speed EVs (11 Speed)

For the second bit, I felt that the changes you suggested would change the meaning of the sentence, implying that Shellder and Onix can wear down checks with Knock and chip. I have rephrased the sentence to try and make this clearer.

For Psychic-types, I'm keeping it as Psychic-types to future proof for future DLCs which will include more psychic-types (I believe the next one contains Abra which would be a major threat if it avoids a ban). I did rephrase it to make it sound like there are more Psychic-types than just G-Ponyta.

- Written by: [[EnzoLapras, 381336]] (type your name right!!!!!)
gg

GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Timburr's strong offensive typing, high Attack stat, and decent bulk make it a terrific glue Pokemon on a variety of team styles. It has an excellent movepool, including a strong STAB priority move in Mach Punch, semi-reliable recovery with Drain Punch, and a variety of coverage options including Knock Off, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch and Poison Jab. Furthermore, access to Defog makes Timburr one of the best entry hazard removers in the tier, especially since it resists Stealth Rock and can check common hazard setters such as Ferroseed and Onix. Timburr has two excellent abilities, allowing it to perform different roles on a team. Iron Fist improves immediate damage output, increasing its increases immediate wallbreaking potential, while Guts allows Timburr to act as a status absorber. However, its typing leaves it weak to the common Flying-types in the tier, notably Vullaby and Wingull, and it is commonly walled by opposing Poison- and Fairy-types, (comma) such as Oddish and Spritzee. It is also limited by a mediocre Speed stat and has to run significant investment to attempt to outspeed its checks at the cost of offensive power or bulk.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Drain Punch's is the primary STAB attack, capable of dealing significant damage and granting proportional recovery. The recovery is important for keeping it Timburr healthy and allowing it to face foes such as Onix and Ferroseed one-on-one. Mach Punch is a strong STAB priority move capable of revenge killing kills faster threats such as Vullaby, Dragon Dance Scraggy, and Dragon Dance Onix. Knock Off allows Timburr to weaken all foes by removing their items while also hitting Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively. Defog is used to remove all entry hazards on the field, helping its teammates to switch in more easily. Thunder Punch is able to hits Mareanie, Vullaby, and Dewpider super-effectively, all of which can otherwise switch into Timburr. Fire Punch allows Timburr to hits Oddish and Croagunk hard while also having its power boosted under and is more powerful in sun. Ice Punch can also be run to hit Oddish, Vullaby, and Mudbray super effectively.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is chosen to gives Timburr the ability to 2HKO key threats such as Mareanie and Oddish with the appropriate coverage move while maintaining significant bulk. Alternative EV spreads can be run to customize which foes Timburr will perform better against. For example, a spread of 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Def with an Adamant nature can be used so that Timburr isn't OHKOed by Adamant Vullaby's Brave Bird; this spread is also the best against opposing Timburr and other physical attackers such as Onix. It is worth noting that Timburr's Speed is also somewhat customizable. Running 156 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed anything up to 17 Speed under Sticky Webs after Sticky Web, and 76 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed standard defensive Oddish sets. Iron Fist is typically used on this set to improve the damage output of Drain Punch, Mach Punch, and any other punching moves that are used for coverage punches. Guts is an alternative option that allows Timburr to fare better against potential burns from Ponyta, Koffing, and other status setters users.

Usage Tips
========

Timburr is an excellent switch-in to Ferroseed, Onix, and Pawniard and can generate offensive momentum by forcing them to switch out. It is good to keep the opponent guessing Timburr's moveset, since a Knock Off into a suitable coverage move can help make huge progress in a game. Early-game, Timburr should attempt to punish expected switches by using Knock Off to remove the foe's item. This can soften the opponent's team up for teammates to take advantage of late-game. Alternatively, it should use Defog on expected switches to remove entry hazards that have been set, particularly Sticky Web. Timburr can be used to counter common physical setup sweepers such as Onix and Shellder. If the team is weak to such sweepers, Timburr should be preserved to prevent a late-game sweep and should avoid having its item removed due to by Knock Off. If Guts is being used, Timburr can switch into an expected Will-O-Wisp from Ponyta or Frillish to gain an Attack boost.

Team Options
========

Flying-types such as Vullaby appreciate Timburr's ability to remove Stealth Rock and switch into Steel- and Rock-types such as Pawniard and Onix, which can threaten them. They also appreciate Stealth Rock being removed which increases their longevity in a battle. Other Fighting-types, particularly Galarian Farfetch'd, pair well with Timburr, since they can work together can work with Timburr to break through their shared checks. This works particularly well because Timburr and Galarian Farfetch'd can distribute coverage moves between them, allowing them to break through any Fighting-type check. Setup sweepers such as Shellder and Dragon Dance Onix benefit greatly from Timburr wearing down their checks with Knock Off and accruing chip damage on them. Fairy-types are a threat to Timburr, so Poison-types such as Mareanie and Oddish help it by switching into and threatening opposing Fairy-types. The prevalence of Flying-types means that Timburr appreciates teammates switch-ins such as Onix and Pawniard that can switch into Flying-type attacks. Pawniard is a particularly good teammate because it can threaten opposing Fairy- and Flying-types such as Spritzee and Vullaby, as well as Psychic-types such as Galarian-Ponyta Fairy-, Flying-, and Psychic-types such as Spritzee, Vullaby, and Galarian Ponyta.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bulk Up boosts Timburr's Attack and Defense, turning it turns Timburr into a powerful sweeper that many teams will struggle to deal with. Drain Punch is the primary attack for this set, allowing it to recover health and boost its recovering health and boosting longevity. Mach Punch used as a threatening priority move that provides revenge killing utility, regardless of whether Timburr is boosted or not. Knock Off allows Timburr to weaken all foes by removing their items while also hitting Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively. It also hits Poison-types like Mareanie and Koffing neutrally, making them more susceptible to Drain Punch. Thunder Punch can be used to hit Mareanie and Vullaby very hard, with Mareanie being particularly threatening because it can set up with Iron Defense. Fire Punch and Poison Jab are alternative coverage options in case the team has trouble with Oddish and Spritzee, respectively, but forgoing Thunder Punch will leave Timburr walled by Mareanie.

Set Details
========

236 Special Defense EVs are invested with a Careful nature and Eviolite to prevent Timburr from being easily worn down by special attackers. For example, it significantly reduces the damage from Modest Vullaby's Air Slash, allowing Timburr to take the hit and recover most of the damage with Drain Punch. Guts is the preferred ability, since the boost from burns allows it Timburr to take Mareanie one-on-one if it lacks Iron Defense. The EV spread can be customized to help Timburr set up on different foes. For example, it can forgo Special Defense investment in favor of Attack or Speed investment if the team otherwise handles special attackers very well.

Usage Tips
========

This set is best used as a late-game sweeper, (comma) capable of sweeping when its checks have been sufficiently weakened. Try to weaken and pressure Timburr's checks, primarily Spritzee and Oddish, by removing their items and keeping them at low health when possible. Timburr can use Knock Off early-game to make a late-game sweep easier. It can also still act as a check to Rock- and Steel-types, primarily Onix and Pawniard. However, it should be used sparingly against them so that it can retain its item and stay close to full health to help a late-game sweep. It is worth noting that Timburr cannot 2HKO Eviolite Onix with Drain Punch or OHKO Pawniard with Mach Punch, but it can use them as setup opportunities. It is best to use Bulk Up on expected switches and foes that struggle to deal significant damage to Timburr, such as Ferroseed. The uncommonness of the Bulk Up set means that Timburr can bluff a standard bulky attacker set and catch the opponent off guard by setting up later in the game.

Team Options
========

Flying-types like Vullaby can help by switching into and threatening Oddish, which otherwise walls Timburr with Strength Sap. Knock Off users such as Vullaby and Pawniard can help weaken Timburr's checks to make a late-game sweep easier. Timburr in turn helps Vullaby by switching into Rock-types like Onix, and Timburr can work with Pawniard to break through defensive cores. Pawniard is a particularly good partner because it prevents Oddish from recovering health with Strength Sap without getting an Attack boost thanks to punishes Oddish's Strength Sap with Defiant and puts Spritzee under pressure with Knock Off and Iron Head. Switch-ins to Fairy-types such as Ferroseed and Mareanie also help, since they can help pressure opposing Spritzee to help Timburr. Mareanie is particularly useful, as it can remove Toxic Spikes and set Toxic Spikes itself to help wear down Spritzee. Flying-type checks such as Onix and Pawniard are helpful by being able to switch into threats such as Vullaby. Entry hazard setters such as Ferroseed, Dwebble, and Onix help Timburr by helping to damage damaging its checks, potentially putting them in KO range for a KO. Hazard removal from the likes of Drilbur and Vullaby is also appreciated, since Spikes and Toxic Spikes in particular wear Timburr down.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Poison Jab is an alternative coverage move that allows Timburr to hit Spritzee hard, but the lack of coverage elsewhere means it should only be used on teams that struggle with Spritzee. Timburr can run multiple elemental punch moves to act as a lure for opposing checks. Toxic is an option to reduce the longevity of bulky foes with reliable recovery such as Shellos, Spritzee, and Roost Vullaby.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Spritzee and Cottonee are both able to switch into Timburr and can KO it with their STAB Fairy-type attacks. Nasty Plot Spritzee is particularly threatening, as it can start setting up on Timburr. Both should be wary of Poison Jab, however.

**Poison-types**: Oddish, Mareanie, Croagunk, and Koffing are all able to switch into Timburr. Oddish can recover its health with Strength Sap, but it should be wary of switching into Ice Punch. Mareanie can set up Iron Defense when facing against Timburr if it lacks Thunder Punch. Koffing completely walls Timburr regardless of coverage, while Croagunk can set up Nasty Plot against it. However, most of these Pokemon struggle to do significant damage to Timburr.

**Flying-types**: Vullaby and Wingull threaten Timburr with their strong STAB attacks, although they should both be wary when switching in, since Timburr threatens both them with Thunder Punch. Additionally, Vullaby is hit hard by Drain Punch, and Wingull is heavily damaged by Knock Off.

**Psychic-types** Psychic-types such as Galarian Ponyta are particularly threatening because they can switch into Timburr and threaten to KO it with their STAB attacks. However, they should be wary of switching into Knock Off.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[EnzoLapras, 381336]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Estronic, 240732], [, ]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)