Tips and Tricks 2 Get You High Up On the Ladder

First thread, much excite, such hype
OK! 3 things I wanna point out first:
  1. First! - I may not be the first one to share laddering tips, but I probably have an updated version
  2. Format - My tips work for like any format
  3. Not a reader? I made a video that covers ALL of this information. It's probably more entertaining, PLUS I apply these tips in 2 LIVE battles
Let's get started! I've been laddering up on Anything Goes for a while now. As I've been climbing higher and higher, I realized I was doing so well because I...
a) am obvi good lol (I made it to #12 on Anything Goes ladder this week)
b) used different teams
c) copied
and most importantly...
d) came across very useful strats and tools <-- most useful, scroll to bottom to save time

[/IMG]
Different Teams

What do I mean by different teams? Well, as I've been continuously battling, I was pitted against dozens of unique teams. My team that I used was proving to be effective. I knew how to counter a Xerneas with the Geomancy boosts. I knew how to counter 4X attack Arceus. I knew how to counter the Uber Wall Lugia.
However, as you start to get better and fight players on the ladder, you start to find weak spots in your teams. You start seeing Arceus-ghost, who counters your MVP Arceus. That Lum Berry Arceus counters your Darkrai. You got to constantly upgrade your team. I recommend having multiple teams - one with your original pokemon, one with the upgraded team, one based off of a successful team you came across (I'll get back to this later on), etc. Have options before you initiate a battle.

Copy

You're team isn't the best. There are better ones out there, that synergize better or pack harder punches than yours. Get inspired by your opponents teams. You see a Magikarp just sweeping your team? ADD IT TO YOUR TEAM! Or make a new team, which includes that Magikarp.
This takes me back to the previous section. When adding/upgrading your team, don't edit ontop of the original team. Import/Export into a new team, and then make your edits.
Is there a Mewtwo running some move you've never seen, and it's actually working smoothly? ADD IT TO YOUR TEAM! Chances are, most other players haven't seen it yet either, and can't counter it.
Now obviously that awesome Pokemon may not be a good fit in your team. Or maybe you can't decide to keep Magikarp or Metapod. Build around it with a new team! Like I said, have multiple teams.
My current team is "inspired" by the best players around. Look around, see what gave others success, and do as they do.

Strats

:mad:Replays:mad:
My most crucial and useful tip. Open a new tab. Go to the ps website. Click on "replays" at the top. Go down a bit, and enter your opponent's name. You will probably find a recent battle they have shared. (It should be at most a week old, and the same format). This is commonly known as scouting... but it's LEGAL! I get a feel of what their team is capable of, and what their strats are. I also get a good idea of who they will send out first, and their opening move.
This can also be used AGAINST YOU! This is why I use different teams every now and then. I don't want my opponents to know my strats.
Climbing up the ladder, I found that certain things helped me get so high up.

/rank [opponent name]
This helps me decide how to battle. Pokemon is like Rock, Paper, Scissors. You must out predict your opponent. Their ranking tells me how well I have to out predict their move.

/dt [pokemon] AND /calc
these tools let me know if I outspeed my opponent, and if I can OHKO them.

Well that's basically all I have to say. I've made it to the #12 spot using these methods. Hope you all take advantage of this knowledge and let me know how well you do!

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Smogonites Hate Him! Find Out How Single Mom WatchogTrainer123 Makes Top 20 On The Ladder/yr In Her Spare Time On The Computer Without Selling Anything In 3 Easy Steps. Start Laddering Today For Three Easy Payments Of $19.99! This Is Not A Scam!

Last edited:
Smogonites Hate Him! Find Out How Single Mom WatchogTrainer123 Makes Top 20 On The Ladder/yr In Her Spare Time On The Computer Without Selling Anything In 3 Easy Steps. Start Laddering Today For Three Easy Payments Of $19.99! This Is Not A Scam!
Find out how to break 1900 on the ladder with this one weird trick!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)