Tired of toxic people on Showdown

Hey yall, completely new to PS/competitive Pokemon here. I like Pokemon a lot but these toxic players really do be killing my enjoyment. Is that just a given with PS because of how many kids there are? Most people are fine but everyday I'll get at least one person who seems to be an edgy kid.

Kalalokki

summertime madness
is a member of the Site Staffis a Top Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Social Media Head
Yeah unfortunately, when also taking in to account the ease of creating new accounts, relative anonymity, and just how heated people can get during competitive play over the internet (certainly not unique to PS alone). Best bets are probably to report them using /report in the chat, so that global staff can check it out and potentially punish them. Alternatively, just checking the "Ignore opponents" box at the top right of the battle window if you don't really want to bother with any conversations.

Martin

gamer boy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Yeah the best advice I can give you is to do what Kalalokki said. It sucks but at the end of the day immature kids will be immature kids (and some of them never really grow up). If you ever have any concerns about anything, get in touch with a member of PS! staff and I'm sure they will be happy to help however they can.

Anyway, this isn't really the place for this. I can't really see any discussion coming out of this so I'm gonna lock now.

I understand the mentality of trying to win by any means available, but there's a limit at some point. There are rules. You don't cheat or use bugs. So where do you draw the line at harassment? What about it encouraging escalation? And yeah the first rule of PS does pretty clearly say to be cordial.

I feel like most people generally will feel at least somewhat bothered by shit talking. Like some people have said, it can be used as a strategy to mess up somebody's decision making. Is that really the community we want? Making the game less fun and more hostile for people because you might get ahead? Scaring away newcomers who aren't very good? One of you guys talked about shit talking like it's some old tradition that PC culture cannot accept, but what about good sportsmanship? Do you see any serious competitive sport without the respectful handshake at the end or whatever is the equivalent? Do you see anybody at EVO or Pokemon tournaments allowing shit talking as a strategy?

If it's not about strategy and more about wanting to have fun, I feel like more people lose than win. Best case scenario both people are thick skinned and aren't affected, and BOTH actually WANT to shit talk. More likely I feel like is that one person starts it, and either one or both start to feel bad about it. Plus, if it's not used strategically, you're just being provocative to get a reaction because making someone upset is fun. That sounds like harassment to me. Either that or it's like kids on Xbox Live saying dumb things like the n word or I screwed your mom. Does that really make the game more fun for anyone but little kids?

Another thing, do we really have the patience for selecting moves AND typing? Wouldn't you rather just have the person pick a move quickly?

I can see how shit talking with friends you understand and are cool with can be fun. But vs strangers it just seems childish to me. It really just sounds like it isn't about strategy and it's more about mental gymnastics because being a bully is fun. And if it is about competition, well yeah some luck is involved, but just take it for what it is. Poker doesn't have "strategic shit talking." Win because you made good moves. Do mind games with the moves you select. Getting somebody riled up is an easy cheap shot and makes the game less enjoyable for people.

Last edited:

Estronic

give me a corpse
is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
As a person who plays a couple of competitive, toxic players can be tilting sometimes. It really sucks that they're people like that, but unfortunately, toxicity is basically one of the few trends that can be seen in any competitive game. Honestly, the best thing to do if you're faced with a toxic opponent is to, like most games, mute and report them, and I'm pretty sure you can do both on PS! with /ignore and /report. Don't interact with them either, or else you'll most likely fuel them even more. Again, I know it's frustrating to face toxic players on any game, especially when there's not much you're able to do when it comes to changing them. In my opinion, the best thing you can do if a toxic player is hurting your mentality is to just ignore them and focus on the game.

Plague von Karma

Rhamantaidd Obsesiynol
is a Pokemon Researcher
I've found myself immediately ignoring opponents the second I enter, especially when playing more defensive/stall teams. I'm gonna be real, I learned more slurs playing stall on Pokémon Showdown low ladder than I did from my racist father when he was alive.

Even not playing stall (even the "fun" offensive teams!) I've had people actively seek me out on social media to sling an insult or two at me. Even had one dude find out I'm trans on Twitter and went on some bizarre rant in my DMs with their...high school level biology. It was a good laugh, though.

Unfortunately, people will be toxic, and all you can really do is ignore them instantly on some jibberish alt...

Hey yall, completely new to PS/competitive Pokemon here. I like Pokemon a lot but these toxic players really do be killing my enjoyment. Is that just a given with PS because of how many kids there are? Most people are fine but everyday I'll get at least one person who seems to be an edgy kid.
Unfortunately, that tends to be the case. Joining chatrooms and discord servers tend to be the best way of connecting with people on ps. Otherwise it’s usually best to just ignore things like game chat.

Mimas

My cycle is ending here, thanks for everything.
yes, unfortunately we'll see toxic people everywhere, but what i could say for you is that the best thing is do the opposite of what we don't like, also try to avoid things that could help to get ourselves mad with a situation, you could try joining in discord servers or the chatrooms of PS (there's a lot of them), also try to create some friends to get company and if you want to ladder, do it with someone that you like, we have the power to adapt and make the things better.

I've never been in any matches with toxicity since most of the chat includes me and the opponent talking about our sets and ggs, but the best you could do is ignore them to avoid getting to an incredibly illogical argument, focus on the match rather than the person who's flaming you

Specs

San Bleep
is a Battle Simulator Driver
Be the change you want to see is the best thing I can give you. Be the bigger person and don't let them win. Toxic people want you to react, stop playing, ect. Don't let them. Was already said above but ignoring opponents during battle, ignoring them completely with the command/button, or reporting them to global staff are your best options.

Wanna welcome you to ps and Smogon! Just like any other community we have toxicity, but the game and site as a whole is very rewarding. Best of luck out there:blobthumbsup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)