Battle Spot Togekiss

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
name: Max Airstream Sweeper
move 1: Air Slash
move 2: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
move 3: Dazzling Gleam
move 4: Nasty Plot
item: Scope Lens / Weakness Policy / Lum Berry
ability: Super Luck / Serene Grace
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Nasty Plot + Air Slash is a beautiful combination that, when mixed with Dynamax, allows Togekiss to become a ferocious sweeper that boosts its Speed with Max Airstream! Flamethrower covers Steel-types reliably, but Fire Blast is a reasonable consideration when Togekiss is not Dynamaxed, as it OHKOes bulky Aegislash after a boost. Dazzling Gleam lets Togekiss OHKO Tyranitar with +2 Max Starfall if it doesn't Dynamax. The move also gives Togekiss a way to OHKO Hydreigon without a boost and a way to blast through Rotom-W after a boost.

Scope Lens works well when paired with Super Luck, giving Togekiss a 50% chance to land a critical hit. Weakness Policy works excellently when Dynamaxing, giving Togekiss a way to boost its offensive stats even when Dynamaxed. Lum Berry is a good anti-status choice, allowing Togekiss to set up more freely. Sharp Beak is a reasonable alternative for boosting Max Airstream's power, while weakness-based Berries such as Charti Berry (for Rock-type attacks) and Babiri Berry (for Steel-type attacks) can be used to punish two common Dynamax users in Tyranitar and Excadrill. Super Luck is recommended, as the boost to critical hit rate is the most useful to Togekiss while Dynamaxed. Serene Grace is an alternate option that has use when not Dynamaxed, as it allows Togekiss to have a near 60% chance to cause its foes to flinch. A Timid nature allows Togekiss to outspeed Dragapult after one Max Airstream. While maximum Speed and Special Attack investment is valuable for sweeping, a bulkier spread such as 236 HP / 4 Def / 28 SpA / 4 SpD / 236 Spe can also be used to take hits better, which is especially useful when carrying Weakness Policy and Nasty Plot.

While it can be weakened into KO range, Rotom-H resists Togekiss's entire moveset, and is particularly good at revenge killing weakened Togekiss by holding Choice Scarf. Additionally, Weakness Policy Tyranitar can also be a problem despite being weak to Fairy-type attacks, since it has enough bulk to survive after Dynamaxing and can KO Togekiss with a +2 Max Rockfall. The easiest way to avoid pitfalls such as these is to use Togekiss late-game, when your foe's potential checks have been revealed. Paralysis support can also be very useful for Togekiss, allowing it to set up Nasty Plot much more easily against normally faster foes. Grimmsnarl, despite sharing weaknesses, works particularly well due to its access to Reflect and Light Screen to aid Togekiss's setup. Sandaconda is notable for being able to paralyze Excadrill, and it can set up Stealth Rock to add useful chip damage against Rotom-H.

Last edited:

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Worth mentioning, particularly for a WP set, that Nasty Plot is not a necessity, particularly for the set you posted which has no bulk and cant really set up on many occasions. I also think psyshock/psychic should be mentioned as a move option to blast through Rotom-H, and allows you to beat a Toxapex without getting hazed. Psyshock can fit in the NP or Dazzling Gleam slot pretty well.

As I have said for other WP sets posted here, I think there is likely a custom EV spread you are wanting to use to live certain hits.

Max Steelspike from Corviknight
Specs Volt Switch from Rotom Formes
Iron Head from Jolly Excadrill
Max Rockfall from TTar whilst dynamaxed

Not necessarily saying the above is correct or all encompassing, but just to keep in mind. This goes for trading Dynamax vs. Dynamax too and not getting 2hkoed by certain moves.

Last edited:

hexpug

formerly stern5103
What would you recommend taking out of to add defensive EVs? Would you just add HP EVs or go into spdef and Def to make sure you live the aforementioned attacks?

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I actually take out SpA, some speed, and put into straight HP to live just about everything while dynamaxed.

My spread is 236HP / 4 Def / 28 SpA / 4 SpD / 236+ Spe Timid

Spread is designed to maximize generalized bulk while still outspeeding +Spe Dragapult at +1. You could probably take out more HP and add to SpA if you wanted more offensive, but Toge already hits like a truck after WP or NP boost.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Super Luck is worth mentioning because Togekiss rarely has room to make use of Serene Grace between its ability to complete sweep in Dynamax and the opponent dynamaxing to prevent Air Slash flinches. It also opens up Scope Lens as an item option, giving it a 50% crit chance and potentially a lot of raw power should WP be taken by someone else.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I think Super Luck should actually be slashed in the main set as well, Serene Grace Air Slash is fine especially if you expect to use Togekiss without Dynamax frequently but otherwise Super Luck is more likely to be useful in a Dynamax meta, especially if you're using Togekiss to sweep. I'd agree that Scope Lens also warrants a quick mention too in case something like Excadrill wants the WP more.

For the EV spread though I think the simple 252/252 spread is fine for now though, this is fine for the preview unless we see people use more specific spreads on high ranking teams but it has solid natural bulk as is. Personally I don't like to give up SpA much either in case you're forced to Dynamax without setting up, but it may be worth mentioning going bulky as an option, provided you aren't giving up too much Speed.

QC 1/2

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I think Super Luck should actually be slashed in the main set as well, Serene Grace Air Slash is fine especially if you expect to use Togekiss without Dynamax frequently but otherwise Super Luck is more likely to be useful in a Dynamax meta, especially if you're using Togekiss to sweep. I'd agree that Scope Lens also warrants a quick mention too in case something like Excadrill wants the WP more.

For the EV spread though I think the simple 252/252 spread is fine for now though, this is fine for the preview unless we see people use more specific spreads on high ranking teams but it has solid natural bulk as is. Personally I don't like to give up SpA much either in case you're forced to Dynamax without setting up, but it may be worth mentioning going bulky as an option, provided you aren't giving up too much Speed.

QC 1/2
Bulk allowing you to live max geyser/flare into max lightning is pretty important, same with living an electric attack while trying to Nasty Plot. While I havent gone to optimizing it fully yet and my set is just an example of maximizing general bulk, I dont think in a world where Rotom is on every team that we shouldnt be running a bulky spread designed to beat the obvious counter. I believe at bare minimum a mention of a bulkier spread should be there.

Agree with the super luck thing, if you have ur WP elsewhere it makes sense, especially with just about every good player playing around popping a WP against the setup sweepers.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright made a bunch of changes based off of feedback!

-Super Luck is now the main slash in, and Scope Lens pushed out the resist berries from a slash in.

-Psychic is now slashed in with Nasty Plot.

-While the main spread is unchanged, I mention the bulkier spread in set comments now.

Weakness Policy Togekiss is one of the faces of the early meta this gen, and every team needs to be prepared to deal with this menace. I've seen some Togekiss running four attacks when running the Weakness Policy set, including some running Aura Sphere (usually over Psychic/Plot) for somewhat different coverage. However, I'm not sure that should really get more than a quick side mention: the moves currently on the set are the best for right now in my opinion, in part because Max Knuckle's weak BP compared to Starfall off of Gleam means it isn't even any better against Tyranitar while dynamaxed.

I also agree with Psynergy that keeping a simple offensive spread as the primary mention is the way to go this early on in the meta. While I have a feeling that a more complex bulkier spread will end up being superior as the meta goes on, for now I think that we don't even necessarily have a great sense of what the best bulky spread will work out to be over time, whereas the more offensive spread will be a lot more likely to age well and will also likely be easier to use for newer players. Super Luck as the primary ability is already implemented so you're good there.

QC 2/2

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I think Babiri Berry should get a mention, Max Steelspike is a common method of dealing with Togekiss and if you're not using WP (fairly common, since a lot of stuff is good with WP), babiri berry is a good mention. It allows Togekiss to win the matchup against Hydregion much more consistently to name an example.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Lum Berry has become a huge adjustment at high ladder showdown. A lot of people are trying to use Yawn/Twave to cripple Togekiss, which gives it a free Nasty Plot or two vs Snorlax/Gastrodon/Rotoms without Thunderbolt. Absolutely needs a mention now.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I’ve never seen Psychic, Air Slash normally just flinches Pex to death, and a crit does similar power if running that set. Ancient Power is vastly superior if you want to hit Rotom-H.

I’ve also seen some Grass Knot recently but I don’t think it’s worth running personally.

Small change but I would rather the STABs be slots 1+2.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Match Scope Lens and Super Luck on the same slot IMO, like 1tp and cs said, I would use Lum as the 3rd slash and remove Psychic. I've literally never seen Psychic be clicked ever vs a non-bad.

Theorymon

I made the changes, sorry for the long wait! Yeah I've honestly never seen Psychic either lol. NOW this is ready for GP checks!

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
add remove comments
[SET]
name: Max Airstream Sweeper
move 1: Air Slash
move 2: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
move 3: Dazzling Gleam
move 4: Nasty Plot
item: Scope Lens / Weakness Policy / Lum Berry
ability: Super Luck / Serene Grace
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Nasty Plot and + Air Slash is a beautiful combination that, when mixed with Dynamax, allows Togekiss to become a ferocious sweeper that boosts its Speed with Max Airstream! Flamethrower covers Steel-types reliably, but Fire Blast is a reasonable consideration when Togekiss is not Dynamaxed, OHKOing as it OHKOes Aegislash after a boost in particular. Dazzling Gleam offers important coverage against Tyranitar, who can be KOed with a lets Togekiss OHKO Tyranitar with +2 Max Starfall if it doesn't Dynamax. It The move also gives Togekiss a way to OHKO Hydreigon without a boost, (RC) and a way to blast through Rotom-W after a boost.

\(remove slash)Scope Lens works well when paired with Super Luck, giving Togekiss a 50% chance to land a critical hit. Weakness Policy pairs works excellently when Dynamaxing, giving Togekiss a way to boost its offensive stats even when Dynamaxed. Lum Berry is a good anti-status choice, allowing Togekiss to set up more freely. Sharp Beak is a reasonable alternative for boosting Max Airstream's power, while resist berries weakness-based Berries such as Charti Berry (for Rock-type attacks) and Babari Babiri Berry (for Steel-type attacks) can also be used to punish two common Dynamax users, (RC) in Tyranitar and Excadrill respectively. Super Luck is reccomended recommended, as the boost to critical hit rate is the most useful to Togekiss while Dynamaxed. Serene Grace is an alternate option that has use when not Dynamaxed, as it allows Togekiss to have a near 60% chance to flinch its foes into submission cause its foes to flinch. A Timid works well with Max Airstream as well, allowing nature allows Togekiss to outspeed Dragapult after one Max Airstream. While maximum Speed and Special Attack investment is valuable for sweeping, a bulkier spread such as 236 (add space)HP / 4 Def / 28 SpA / 4 SpD / 236 Spe can also be used to take hits better, which is especially useful when carrying Weakness Policy and Nasty Plot.

While it can be weakened into KO range, Rotom-H resists Togekiss's entire moveset, (RC) and is particularly good at revenge killing weakened ones Togekiss by holding Choice Scarf. Additionally, opposing Weakness Policy Dynamax user Weakness Policy Tyranitar can also be a problem despite being weak to Fairy-type attacks, since it has enough bulk to survive after Dynamaxing and can KO Togekiss with a +2 Max Rockfall. The easiest way to avoid pitfalls such as these is to use Togekiss late in the game late-game, when your foe's potential checks have been revealed. Paralysis support can also be very useful for Togekiss, allowing it to set up Nasty Plot much more easily against normally faster foes. Grimmsnarl, despite sharing weaknesses, works particularly well due to its access to Reflect and Light Screen to aid Togekiss's set up setup. Sandaconda is notable for being able to paralyze Excadrill, and setting it can set up Stealth Rock to add useful chip damage against Rotom-H.

gp 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)