ORAS NU Tombusken Squad Rollin' Through (Peaked 1450-pre reset)

Hello everyone, today I am going to be presenting to you guys and girls one of my most successful and fun to use teams that served me well throughout all of NLT and continues to Serve me now. This team was built around a joke concept of Tom Bus' name, with the pokemon Combusken, which can be conveniently named TomBusken. I've always been an in-between player on balance/offense so I decided to make this team a Balanced Offense build. Plenty of big threats, while still retaining key defensive standpoints and keeping momentum! Now enough with this long intro and on to the team!!one!!1

The Building Process

The Main Man of the squad, lord Tombusken himself, keeps momentum hits very hard passes speed. Standard Busken Stuff.

I added Lilligant sponge some water attacks and form a nice wincon with busken, the synergy is pretty nice, with them being able to beat each other's check very easily.

I added Regirock at this point because it gave me an excellent fire, flying and normal check/counter respectively. It also sets rocks and has speed control in twave.

I forget exactly what Mawile was here to do but oh well. It checks CM Psyshock Psychics by outboosting then outdamaging them with SD. Has prio too.

Pelipper here gives me a nice fighting check and tertiary fire switchin, also gives me a better water check than lilligant.

Jynx is a better check to bulky waters, it also gives me a very fast wincon who can annoy shit with sleep.

Sceptile is better than Lilligant here imo but the immediate speed gives me a better revenge killer than Jynx, the coverage is also nuts on this pokemon. Being behind in the times is also not fun :[.

The Team In-Depth

TomBusken (Combusken) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Standard TomBusken stuff. Fire-Fighting is very good coverage, especially in NU. Life Orb makes Combusken hit very hard, but at the cost of a bit of bulk. Protect is useful for boosting speed to pass off to others with baton pass. Dual stab if Fblasts are extremely powerful but inaccurate. The 29 HP IVs ensure I hit a life orb number.

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Holy shit, what to say about this beast. Literally kills everything not named weezing audino or torkoal lol. It's speed is off the charts, functioning as an amazing revenge killer for everything no-scarfed up to Swellow. The moves selected gain perfect coverage on the entire tier, not leaving one pokemon without getting hit neutrally. The IVs are for HP Ice with a Life Orb number. Overall Sceptile is a very good pokemon which is not meant to be fooled around with. It also provides key speed to an otherwise semi-slow team.

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 196 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch
Regirock is one of the best normal/flying checks in the tier, probably only behind Steelix. Very bulky physically already so no need to heavily invest in that. Sp.Def evs are for checking pokemon such as magmortar and pyroar who could otherwise threaten this team a great deal more. Rocks are rocks, Twave is Twave, Rock Slide is STAB and really helps to eliminate the fires Regi checks. Drain Punch is for Rock resists.

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

Mawile is another amazing wallbreaker which gives me handy-dandy priority as well. Swords dance is great for boosting your attack stat to deal more damage to pokemon. Sucker punch is very strong even tho it's not STAB, hitting most things that come in on it very fucking hard. IVs are a Life Orb number.

Pelipper @ Charti Berry
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
Pelipper gives me a crucial water and fighting resist. It also provides Defog support which is veyr important for Combusken and Sceptile so that they dont take more damage than they need to while they're clearing the way for Jynx. Roost provides reliable recovery and U-turn is good for offense to keep up momentum easily.

Jynx @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
Jynx is my late game cleaner / annoyer on the team. Lovely kiss' ability to put foes to sleep is very good in conjunction with Combusken and Mawile as Combusken won't have to protect to gain speed if they stay asleep, and Mawile has a next-to-free SD if they don't wake up. Nasty Plot is an amazing boosting move that goes well with Psyshock because of Psyshocks ability to get around C&Cs like Magmortar and Hariyama, who are able to take Psychics due to their bulkier AV sets. Ice Beam is secondary stab fr whatever Psyshock doesn't hit. Focus Sash aids in Jynx's frailty by allowing it to stomach some form of priority or strong attack from a revenge killer.
Conclusion
So that's the team, hope you guys all enjoyed, the team looks decent enough to do well in some minor circuit tours and room tours, as well as casual laddering. Feel free to drop any productive suggestions for the team!
Importable
TomBusken (Combusken) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Sceptile @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 196 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

Pelipper @ Charti Berry
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Jynx @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Shoutouts lol
Winter's Howl blaziken1337 Dundies KyleCole GyRro Raseri Kiyo Disjunction ryan allstar124 MARCU5theBAW5 qsns Silverwhiteblue Lord Qwilfish @nu room ur all cool people. (And cool team mates!) kthx 4 reading lol

Last edited:
Cool team man I might try it out it looks pretty fun. Just curious about how relevant Charti Berry is on Pelipper over something less situational like Lefties/Rocky helmet. What mons with Rock Stab/Rock Coverage threaten your team that Pelipper can lure with the berry and potential weaken/scald burn? Just wondering. Also does 32 Atk evs for EQ help give it any noticeable 2HKO's or OHKO's on anything? With Sceptile being very common atm I wonder how useful speed tying with other Sceptiles will be. And is he meant to be more of an Early Breaker or CLeaner? Ive seen other people run Giga Drain on the regular Life orb Non-SUb set and Mixed Life Orb set but I havent had the experience yet with the NEw Meta to determine which is better. I guess we will find out in due time. Again a cool take on Balance with some threatening sweepers/cleaners!

Cool team man I might try it out it looks pretty fun. Just curious about how relevant Charti Berry is on Pelipper over something less situational like Lefties/Rocky helmet. What mons with Rock Stab/Rock Coverage threaten your team that Pelipper can lure with the berry and potential weaken/scald burn? Just wondering. Also does 32 Atk evs for EQ help give it any noticeable 2HKO's or OHKO's on anything? With Sceptile being very common atm I wonder how useful speed tying with other Sceptiles will be. And is he meant to be more of an Early Breaker or CLeaner? Ive seen other people run Giga Drain on the regular Life orb Non-SUb set and Mixed Life Orb set but I havent had the experience yet with the NEw Meta to determine which is better. I guess we will find out in due time. Again a cool take on Balance with some threatening sweepers/cleaners!
charti was for rhydon, as this team was pre drops, and i never changed it, it also helps against SE Sawk tho. and the 32 atk evs dont do anything much afaik, i just dont like running max because it's really pointless, could probably run 2-3 more points and dump hp. and on this team it's an early/mid breaker mon that really excels in combination with jynx's sleeping and mawile's pure power. Thanks for the compliments tho dude!

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi lolbro, nice build that you have here with Combusken. I would probably use it more if it didn't miss so much for me lol. Anyway as far as running Charti Berry over another item, I think it's worth keeping it as having a solid switch in to things like Rhydon and Stone Edge Sawk is way too useful to pass up on this squad, so there are on my thoughts on that. In addition to that, I have some other suggestions to help this team do better in the new meta.

• First off, I would suggest running defensive Steelix over Regirock as it gives you a better check to things like Musharna and Klinklang while still being able to take on normal types like Tauros and Kangakhan. The electric immunity is nice as well so you can play mindgames with pelipper.
  • That change, however, leaves you awfully weak to Fire-types so my second suggestion is that you switch SD Mawile with Assault Vest Hariyama, which might seem silly considering you have Combusken already, but hear me out. Mawile isn't too effective in this meta in my opinion because its speed and overreliance on sucker punch leave it few chances to set up and sweep. Because of this, the team slot is better used securing a better match up versus fire and ice types while letting Steelix and Jynx deal with psychic types that threaten it and Combusken. Hariyama also forms a neat fighting spam core with Combusken so the two can be very useful at wearing down each other's counters, which can help in Combusken coming through late game.
  • My last point is more preference than anything, but I would run Giga Drain over Leaf Storm and run max speed on Sceptile. Giga Drain is useful so that Sceptile doesn't get worn down too quickly from Life Orb recoil. Running max speed means that you at the very least have a 50/50 shot to beat other sceptile with Hidden Power Ice, which is much more useful than a slightly harder hitting earthquake that is only used for catching Magmortar off guard.
Sceptile @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic

Congrats on the peak fren and hope my changes help you out.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
Busken / Scep / Regirock / Mawile / Peli / Jynx
  • One of the biggest problems when looking at your team is the lack of a Electric Immunity which can be very stressful, especially with Pelipper. First off to fix the Electric Immunity I would go with Steelix over Regirock. This gives you the same thing you were looking for in Regi in a Normal / Flying check, while also being able to block Volt Switch and cause the opponent to lose momentum. Steelix also helps you not auto lose to Musharna, which is a huge threat to your team.
  • You also have a pretty big weakness to Fighting Types, especially CB Sawk which with Rocks up can basically 2HKO your entire team aside from Pelipper. Thats why I would recommend Musharna over Jynx. Either the CM Barrier or Heal Bell sets work here, and it depends on what you are more comfortable using in this meta. You already have Solid Ways to remove Dark Types like Mawile and Combusken, and Musharna provides a much better late game cleaner and Fighting Check for the team.
  • Also please make Sceptile Max Speed, the 32 HP EVs will basically never come in handy, while having a 50/50 chance to outspeed opposing Sceptile is much better than straight up losing no matter what the scenario is.
Otherwise this seems like a fine team and I wish you good luck w/ it in the future

Steelix @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stored Power / Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Barrier / Heal Bell

Max Speed Please

Hi lolbro, nice build that you have here with Combusken. I would probably use it more if it didn't miss so much for me lol. Anyway as far as running Charti Berry over another item, I think it's worth keeping it as having a solid switch in to things like Rhydon and Stone Edge Sawk is way too useful to pass up on this squad, so there are on my thoughts on that. In addition to that, I have some other suggestions to help this team do better in the new meta.

• First off, I would suggest running defensive Steelix over Regirock as it gives you a better check to things like Musharna and Klinklang while still being able to take on normal types like Tauros and Kangakhan. The electric immunity is nice as well so you can play mindgames with pelipper.
  • That change, however, leaves you awfully weak to Fire-types so my second suggestion is that you switch SD Mawile with Assault Vest Hariyama, which might seem silly considering you have Combusken already, but hear me out. Mawile isn't too effective in this meta in my opinion because its speed and overreliance on sucker punch leave it few chances to set up and sweep. Because of this, the team slot is better used securing a better match up versus fire and ice types while letting Steelix and Jynx deal with psychic types that threaten it and Combusken. Hariyama also forms a neat fighting spam core with Combusken so the two can be very useful at wearing down each other's counters, which can help in Combusken coming through late game.
  • My last point is more preference than anything, but I would run Giga Drain over Leaf Storm and run max speed on Sceptile. Giga Drain is useful so that Sceptile doesn't get worn down too quickly from Life Orb recoil. Running max speed means that you at the very least have a 50/50 shot to beat other sceptile with Hidden Power Ice, which is much more useful than a slightly harder hitting earthquake that is only used for catching Magmortar off guard.
Sceptile @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Steelix @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic

Congrats on the peak fren and hope my changes help you out.
Busken / Scep / Regirock / Mawile / Peli / Jynx
  • One of the biggest problems when looking at your team is the lack of a Electric Immunity which can be very stressful, especially with Pelipper. First off to fix the Electric Immunity I would go with Steelix over Regirock. This gives you the same thing you were looking for in Regi in a Normal / Flying check, while also being able to block Volt Switch and cause the opponent to lose momentum. Steelix also helps you not auto lose to Musharna, which is a huge threat to your team.
  • You also have a pretty big weakness to Fighting Types, especially CB Sawk which with Rocks up can basically 2HKO your entire team aside from Pelipper. Thats why I would recommend Musharna over Jynx. Either the CM Barrier or Heal Bell sets work here, and it depends on what you are more comfortable using in this meta. You already have Solid Ways to remove Dark Types like Mawile and Combusken, and Musharna provides a much better late game cleaner and Fighting Check for the team.
  • Also please make Sceptile Max Speed, the 32 HP EVs will basically never come in handy, while having a 50/50 chance to outspeed opposing Sceptile is much better than straight up losing no matter what the scenario is.
Otherwise this seems like a fine team and I wish you good luck w/ it in the future

Steelix @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stored Power / Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Barrier / Heal Bell

Max Speed Please
thanks guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)