VGC Too Hot to Handle!

Hello all, this is my very first post as well as VGC build. I would like advice and pointers to make this team better.

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

So, I lead with Torkoal because it not only sets up drought but also stealth rock. I'm aware that leading with weather isn't normally a good idea because it can easily be countered but I mainly use him to start off with stealth rock then begin spamming toxic. I use explosion when my HP is low or when its KO is inevitable to get any KO's if possible.

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Overheat
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge

I utilize Entei as my sweeper, I let the flow of the battle determine when I send him out. If I'm doing doubles with a friend or battle tree, sometimes I lead with Torkoal and Entei. Sometimes I can get a few KOs early with Entei before it is KOed itself.

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

I love Mawile here because with its low speed it makes for a good check for trick room users. I debated between sucker punch and knock off and ultimately choose knock off. To me knock off seemed to have more benefits, more PP and gets rid of opponents item. Sucker punch does more damage but it only has 5PP and it relies on the opponent attacking. I was thinking if I'm in a situation and I need to get rid of a mon weak to dark, it'll only work if their attacking me.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Earthquake

I love Gastrodon for this team especially in doubles, I like to pair him with another fire mon on my team just to check any water moves that could targeting my fire mon. Gastrodon is not only a shield from water attacks but also a good Toxic Stall.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I bring in Charizard more so as a Mid-Late game sweeper as well as after Torkoal's initial drought then mega evolve to utilize drought again. I believe Charizard's move set allows it to check a wide range of mon.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Venusaur is just a bulky tank utilized mainly under the sun for the speed boost. Giga drain and Synthesis allows it to be out in battle and continue to be a problem. Initially, I was using earthquake instead of hidden power (fire) but I switched because it would've been the 3rd mon on my team with earthquake and it seemed like overkill and I would doing too much damage to allies.

Thank you for taking the time reading this. Please do critique this team, I'm open to any and all suggestions, please give explanations when doing so.

To be honest, your VGC isn't very good. Rather than giving some suggestions for the team as per usual, I recommend you to watch some VGC videos and uses VGC sample team so you can have a better grasp with the VGC formats. Anyway, I'm going to point out the flaws on your posted team.

• Generally speaking, your team lacks the move Protect. It is an important arsenal in Doubles format that most Pokemon should have unless they are holding a choice item or assault vest.
  • In Doubles, Torkoal takes a more offensive approach and it works best at Trick Room team. This particular Torkoal is clearly meant for single format. Toxic is too slow to work in a more fast paced format like VGC and Tapu Fini can stop its track hard. Stealth Rock isn't very good there either as players has to pick 4 Pokemon to a VGC battle, making it significantly less useful.
  • It's not a good idea to give a Choice Band Pokemon any special attacks as Choice Band doesn't boost its special attack stat.
  • Using regular Mawile is bad idea as its stats are too low. You're better off using make it hold its mega stone as Mega Mawile has better bulk with Huge Power for higher damage output. If you want something to prevent Trick Room, just use Taunt, Roar, Whirlwind or even Trick Room itself.
  • Again, your Gastrodon is clearly meant for single format. Also, most Gastrodon go for Earth Power in VGC instead of Earthquake to take advantage of its Storm Drain ability better and Earthquake does 25% less damage when it targets multiple Pokemon.
  • Giving Venusaur a fully defensive spread while giving it a bunch of attacks just seems conflicting. I also would like point out that the speed order for Mega Evolution has changes, so even when the sun is still up, it will ignore Chlorophyll for speed order on the turn Venusaur mega evolves entirely.
  • Mega Charizard Y is the best of the bunch, but there are still room for improvement.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)