Rejected - Inactive Tooltips and tutorials across Showdown

The multiple-of-4 nature is sort of ugly, though. It would be nicer to think of it as 127 "points" you can allocate, rather than 508 "bundles of 4 points each" you can allocate.

But the problem is that every other guide talks about them in terms of 510 and 252 point limits, so if we changed how our teambuilder worked, all the online guides would stop making sense.

I think it would be possible to come up with something sufficiently easier to use that we'd prefer it over the current system, but it would take a lot of in-depth design work, and thinking through all the edge cases brought up (every 4 EVs can increase your stats by either 0 or 1 at lower levels, or 1 or 2 at higher levels).
I was going to just reply with an idea, but I realized that it was basically an entirely separate suggestion.

At any point where a new player might get confused, have a little Meloetta or question mark Unown that will display tips when moused over. This can include explaining the aforementioned EVs (combined with IVs and Natures), why some formats appear in the teambuilder but not the main page's format selector, and that it's possible to type commands in chat boxes.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Explanations are definitely useful, but they shouldn't be used in place of having a UI that just makes sense in the first place.

What places do you think could use more explanations?

I think the main place that needs more is the format selector, which should have explanations of what formats do what. I've always wanted to add those, but, you know, client rewrite.

The biggest one for me would be chat box commands. /help is a serviceable way to list the commands and explain how they work, but if someone doesn't know that chat commands are even possible, they're not going to type /help. I think at the least, there should be some easily visible box (maybe as a starting window like News?) that says something along the lines of

Here are some useful commands you can type into a chat box:
/data - get more information on something
/calc - get quick access to a damage calculator (/rcalc for random battles)
/help - get a full list of commands, or get more details on a specific command

Dawn of Ares

Power of Athena!
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I think this would help quite a bit. Here are some suggestions for this I can think of, from the perspective of a help moderator.

The /faq, /faq all, and /rules command would benefit from being listed in DrPumpkinz's idea, since they're needed a lot. Differentiating between ! and / would help as well.

There could also be an explanation on why sometimes the IV's default to 0 in some stats, but I don't think other game mechanics particularly need this, as a lot of the common ones are explained in the battle already. The "Ladder (probably) updated, but score could not be retrieved (Response not received)" message may benefit from being expanded upon.

Also, there could be something in the usercard explaining the room/global ranks of the respective user. For that matter, punishments could probably be done as well.

Bugs and suggestions, maybe? I dunno where they'd be put though, maybe put their respective commands in the other idea. However, if the former would be added, it would be best to point towards the help room just in case it isn't a bug.

Having quicker access to the hidden avatars would help, putting the hint near the change avatar button and explaining how to get those avatars. Maybe a explanation on custom avatars too?

This is all I can think of right now that seems feasible to add to something like this, but there's probably more to this that could be added, and someone else can add more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)