SM OU (TOP 4) (2022 ELO PEAK) Regice in OU

Would you watch me if i did yt with streamed gameplay and hypothetical vids / top tens for OU?

• Yea

Votes: 35 50.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • No not really, loser!

Votes: 12 17.1%

• Total voters

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Hey guys, Ho3n's back with this month's RMT. It's dual screens like you never seen before, and there's a lot to be said this time around.

This months wildcard is of course:

R E G I C E

Regice.jpg

Proof of Peak:
Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.14.53 PM.png

Pokepaste:

https://pokepast.es/01042322410700b0

Teambuilding Process:

This team started off as a run of the mill, standard dual screens team. Even with Alolan-Ninetails dropping this month, I knew that screens HO had a lot of undermined potential. This is partially do to a few abusers that I'll mention later in the updated team. Here's a look at the old team:

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 7.43.20 PM.png

Some members stayed: Timid Kart, Weakness Policy Zygarde, and lead Lando. All these are staples to my HO teams (you'd know if you play me a lot lol), and with screens they can be exploited greatly. But the last three components were off. Electrode, which was originally Tapu Koko, wasn't getting the opportunity to set up enough, or in the right ways. Even with its great speed, its bulk was bad (made worse by a Ground weakness), and Explosion was becoming more of a liability than asset on the set. Mega Zard X was a bit of a savior at times, using its ridiculous powerful Flare Blitz to muster through walls of all kind, and with Dragon/Ground coverage it was a monster. However, rocks seriously ruin almost all chances to set up; even with dual screens, the combo of Flare Blitz recoil made it underwhelming. The last member, scarf Serp, was great. No real problems, but I did find a better use with it..

Ultimately, the team got me to peak at a 2014 ELO, however I dropped back to the 1700s later. Personally, was also getting tired of its flaws . Those were:

>Lack of a good special attacker check

>A stall breaker that can actually survive after a few STAB attacks

>A bulkier but still fast dual screens user

With these three archetypes in mind, I played around with the team, exhausting many options, till I found what I believe fits the best. It isn't perfect, and maybe there can be improvements, but it has worked for me. Here it is:

The Team:
Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.51.58 PM.jpg
(all pics are abominations made by me)
Regice @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rock Polish
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Lemmie just post some decent calcs for the sceptics:

Offensive (No SR):
+2 252+ SpA Regice Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Blacephalon: 217-256 (87.8 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Regice Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 306-362 (77 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Regice Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja-Ash: 238-282 (83.5 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Regice Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 454-536 (117.6 - 138.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Regice Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 211-249 (70 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Regice Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Scizor-Mega: 235-277 (68.5 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Regice Ice Beam vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Serperior: 282-332 (92.4 - 108.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Regice Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 200-236 (49.5 - 58.4%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Regice Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 202-238 (66.6 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Defensive:
252 SpA Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Regice: 218-258 (72.4 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regice: 260-308 (86.3 - 102.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Regice: 124-147 (41.1 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Regice: 165-195 (54.8 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Regice: 120-142 (39.8 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Regice: 180-212 (59.8 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after trapping damage
252 SpA Magearna Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Regice: 144-170 (47.8 - 56.4%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO (same as Focus Blast)
252 SpA Magearna All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Regice: 226-266 (75 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regice: 240-284 (79.7 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Regice: 81-96 (26.9 - 31.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regice: 73-86 (24.2 - 28.5%) -- 97.5% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Regice: 135-160 (44.8 - 53.1%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO

Regice can both take and deal damage; and for once, the Ice type's meany weaknesses are helpful! The basic strat, as reminiscent in PU usage, is to Rock Polish up on weak, vulnerable attacker. This can be the many special attackers Regice can take multiple hits from, or pretty much every mon with dual screens. Then, that great coverage of a STAB Ice Beam, Tbolt, and Focus Blast can really be enough to sweep. However, there is a lot of reliability on say hitting Focus Blast, or getting at +2 with Weakness Policy. Its meant for late game sweeping or checking some special sweepers like Serp or specs Koko.

Regice just happens to fit my teams need of a sweeper that can check special attackers, and having the right typing. Yes, mono ice is actually useful.

Skeptics may say that Weakness Policy Magearna or Necrozma would do just as well, and hey, I tested it:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-822284308

In this example, 252+ special attack Magearna is KO by multiple Leaf Storms Serperior, and cannot KO back with Ice Beam after rocks; Regice can. Furthermore, Regi could have Rock Polished (if it wasn't scarf, that is) and go the revenge kill AND be at +2 speed. As odd as it sounds, Weakness Policy Mag just never worked for me on this team, and Necrozma was never getting the Weakness Policy boost enough.

Regice just takes the cake here.

Zygarde.jpg
(i really tried on this one lol)

Zygarde @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed

I've talked to death about WP Zygarde, check older RMTs, but on dual screens it really shines. Even without HP or much SpD investment, Light Screen lets zygarde get to +4 attack easy when an assvest Tangrowth uses HP Ice, then has a roll to 2HKO. Man that is some wicked jazz right there. Even if the set becomes predictable, teams have to go out of their way to deal with it then. Only a few Unaware mons or other stall faves like Avalug or Shedninja can shrug it off. With screens it can become really broken, and Coil for checks like Bulu or SD Scizor also pitches in to success.

Here Zygarde helps get rid of Flying types like Skarm, Celestela, and Torn, all to help Kart sweep. Its a great midgame sweeper, letting you clear a path for another sweeper to steam roll through once it ran out of hits to take. Its biggest fault is stall, where it is almost exclusively going to be used as a late game, last ditch effort resort.

Double Dance WP Zygarde; try it out. It takes time to get used to, and don't let the hubris think you can sweep right away.

Serperior.jpg
(an improvement!)

Serperior @ Light Clay
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Leaf Storm
- Taunt

Haha yeah I officially lost it, but here is dual screens Serp! The cool thing about this set is that it is still really fast, and besides scarves, only really Protean Gren and Torn scare it. With 200 EVs in hp, it becomes surprisingly bulky. On the other hand, with only 56 in SpA, you can still sweep! Its not as common, and a part of me wishes i had Glare, but that offensive momentum combined with a Dual Screen user is unmatched.

Simply set up both, and get out. The team is not only bulky enough not to have a safe switch in, they also WANT a heavy super effective attack in the case of Regi and Garde.

kartana.jpg

Kartana @ Steelium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 19 Atk
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

I've also talked to death about timid kart, so check out old RMTs for full a analysis.

Here, the 252 in HP helps so much with the bulk of screens to set up. Its great, and once this thing gets rolling, not much is in its way. Use it after Zygarde made a dent, and as your general wincon.
lando.jpg

Landorus-Therian @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Lead Lando: just get up rocks. Right now, it's the best in OU that secure it on all play styles. That threat of SD with Explosion is so scary, that even if rocks are jeopardized, you may have an equally good trade off. What a beast.

Rocks are great for crippling mega Zard, Volc, and Zapdos for Kart. They also are vital for Shedninja stall teams, as only two mons on this team can hit it!

Mega gyra.jpg
(aaaand back to basics!)
Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Truly I have one great answer to stall, Mega Gyrados, but its a good answer. Both its adamant nature and Crunch/Earthquake/Taunt coverage are maximised for this match up. Ground/Dark does wonders on a ton of bulkier teams, and Mold Breaker Taunt with a Prankster immunity sets up in the face of Mega Sabelye even.

Even without stall, getting 2 DDs off on HO or balance is possible thanks to screens. Its such a broken mechanic lol.

Have fun with the team, let me know what you guys think of it!

Replays:

Regi sweep: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-822415955
Regi sweep vs webs vs Volcanionisgood: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-822413155
Gyra sweep: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-822418561
Vs Glare spam: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-822415131
Regi sweep: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-822275536
Regi sweep: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-822271547
Vs stall https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-822265112

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)