Tornadus [QC 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]

• Tornadus has a nice base 111 speed tier, outspeeding top threats like Latias and Gliscor.
  • Tornadus has 2 amazing abilities, Prankster, which gives priority to its already amazing support move pool, and Defiant, detering Defog for increase physical attack.
  • Tornadus has a very nice Offensive and support move pool making Tornadus an unpredctable threat.
  • Tornadus also has amazing offensive stats in 115/125 making it become an amazing mixed attacker, with hard hitting moves such as Hurricane and Superpower.
  • Tornadus can be a great support using Prankster Defog and Tailwind to support its team better.
  • Weakness to rocks makes it difficult to bring onto field safely and make it.
  • Tornadus has less than average bulk in 79/70/80 even more difficult to bring onto field safely.
  • Tornadus is outsped by top tier threats such as Mega Manectric and Mega Aerodactyl.
  • Faces competition with Mega Pidgeot as a Flying type special attacker, Mega Pidgeot has No Guard which allows to never miss Hurricane.
[SET]
name: Offensive Tailwind
move 1: Hurricane
move 2: Superpower/Heat Wave
move 3: Defog
move 4: Tailwind
item: Flyinium Z/ Life Orb
ability: Prankster
nature:Naive/ Timid
evs: 4 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Hurricane is Tornadus's main STAB, hits incredibly hard to knock out Pokemon like Breloom and Amoongus.
  • Superpower is mainly for the Special walls, especially Blissey, also hits super effectively to Cobalion and Terrakion, tho not really recommended.
  • Heat Wave can be used to destroy Steel types like Scizor and Cobalion, can be ran over Superpower or Defog.
  • Defog helps remove hazards and for its team.
  • Tailwind boosts the speed for Pokemon like Azumarill and Nidoking for 3 turns.

Set Details
========

• Max Special Attack, Max speed rest in attack, Boosts its Special attack for max damage on Hurricane and Heat Wave, Naive is prefered if you run Hurricane + Superpower, Timid if you run Hurricane and heat wave, but not superpower.
  • Prankster increases priority for Defog and Tailwind, especially if you want that last ditch effort before you sack Tornadus and boost the teams speed, Defog for removing hazards as fast as possible without taking damage that isn't a faster Priority.
  • Flyinuim Z turns Hurricane into Supersonic Skystrike, nabbing KOs for certain pokemon to remove them from the game, such as non SpD Gliscor and Scizor if you don't have Heat Wave.
  • Life Orb can be used over Flyinium for more power of all its moves.
  • Heat Wave can be ran over Superpower, if you already have a mixed attacker, or over Defog, if you already have hazard removal and want to run Tornadus to wall break as much as he can.

Usage Tips
========

• Against Defensive teams, Tornadus can come early game to start firing off attacks.
  • This set is used to punch holes and help its team break through a team.
  • On a sack, when you want to sack Tornadus, bring it to use Tailwind to let his team go fast.

Team Options
========

• Tornadus works best on offensive teams who appreciate its ability to break down and weaken walls like Defensive Scizor and Mega Slowbro.
  • Powerhouses who appreciate its Tailwind support like Nidoking and Azumarill appreciates the boosted speed.
  • Entry Hazard support is key for Tornadus to break through defensive teams, and Hazard removal helps remove the pressure off Tornadus from removing them itself

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options.
=============

• Tornadus can be a very great rain supporter, setting up the rain for his team reliably thanks to Prankster and abusing it with Hurricane. But manual rain has poor matchups and isn't recommended to use because of the use of Hippowdown with Sand Stream.
  • Tornadus can run a Physical Defiant set to abuse the abundance of Defog users in the tier, but it lacks a good physical move so it has to run Acrobatics removing the item, outclassed physically by Mega Aerodactyl and Gliscor, and its pretty much unreliable at sweeping.
  • Bulk up Resttalk Acrobatics can be ran to sweep late game and it works well with Prankster, but its easily exploitable and easily walled.
  • Choice Specs can be used to wall break even harder and better, but Life Orb and Prankster Tailwind is generally much more sufficient.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric Types**: Mega Manectric can freely come in on a Tornadus and beat it 1v1 due to its high speed and Intimidate, reducing damage from Superpower and tanking a Hurricane. Rotom-Heat can come in vs Tornadus for free and cripple it.

**Steel Types**: Steel types like Mega Aggron and Empoleon can take any STAB hits Tornadus can use and in Mega Aggrons case, take all its coverage moves and OHKOs with Heavy Slam. Empoleon must be wary of Superpower though.

**Special Walls**: Special walls like Blissey and Mantine can take most special hits, tho both fear the physical and mixed sets.

Last edited:

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
hi, not qc, just a few comments.

In the Overview, you give the two abilities equal comparison when only one is mentioned outside of Other Options. Grouping the points talking about Prankster and its support movepool to make the section more organised; this leads the main focus on its support capabilities in Tailwind and particularly Defog.
When you talk about Tornadus's weakness to Stealth Rock, you can also mention how it lacks reliable recovery in Roost; the other Flying-types you compare it to, Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Pidgeot, have that option, which can somewhat negate this.
You could consider mentioning its mono-Flying typing here; other Flying-types have a secondary typing that can sometimes give more weaknesses (Mega Aerodactyl's weakness to Bullet Punch and Aqua Jet) or less resistances (both of the examples' neutrality to Mach Punch). The typing isn't great defensively, but it has some merits that are worth a mention.

In Moves, remember to remove the Amoonguss mention and mention Hurricane's decent neutral coverage here; only two types resist it and its hard to switch into. The accuracy drawback could also be discussed.
Saying "tho not really recommended" seems really vague so expand by saying Terrakion's Stone Edge OHKOes it/
Defog and Tailwind are great support options and are made even better by Prankster, which isn't emphassed at all in this section, especially considering it's Tornadus's niche in the current metagame.

Heat Wave can be ran over Superpower, if you already have a mixed attacker, or over Defog, if you already have hazard removal and want to run Tornadus to wall break as much as he can.
This comment isn't something that goes in Set Details, so move it the the Moves section. Honestly, I don't see a practical reason to drop Prankster Defog at all, which is really really good, and Heat Wave isn’t slashed after Defog on the set, so mentioning it here isn't needed.

In Usage Tips, focus on the support movepool aspect of Tornadus; its ability to come in on several Stealth Rock users like Hippowdon, Swampert, and Gliscor is really crucial for it because it allows Tornadus to Defog almost freely.
Your defensive teams point can be added to by talking about Tornadus’s coverage; a lot of stall staples don’t like taking Hurricane and the switch-ins are messed up with Superpower for Blissey and Heat Wave for Mega Aggron. It forces a lot of switches against this archetype and so has multiple free turns to use Defog or Tailwind.
Because Tornadus is weak to Stealth Rock and has no way at all to sustain its HP, you can talk about when to bring it in here: free turns and pivot support is useful so it doesn’t have to take an attack and SR damage.
Talk about Flyinium Z and its main uses / targets here.

Team Options should talk about the pivot support I just mentioned; Pokemon like Choice Band Scizor work really well at bringing it in. Mega Manectric is also a good potential partner due to its ability to pressure Steel-types and provide utility in Intimidate and Volt Switch.
When talking about entry hazard support, mention a few Pokemon that work well with it in that regard.

In Other Options, the physical Defiant set should go above rain due to its higher reliability. You can mention here that it struggles to find a niche due to Serperior’s ability to act as a better Defog deterrent. Gliscor doesn’t run Flying-type STAB moves outside of the rare Acrobatics so I wouldn’t say it outclasses physical Tornadus because they do different things.

Last edited:

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
hey there, sorry this has been left so long
are you still interested in writing this analysis especially after the next big tier shift? if you are, can you please try to update it for the current meta and if not, feel free to let us know

hey there, sorry this has been left so long
are you still interested in writing this analysis especially after the next big tier shift? if you are, can you please try to update it for the current meta and if not, feel free to let us know
yes yes, really sorry i am indeed still interested, ill do the am checks you told me and i will update to current meta, i will test the mon on showdown to continue. really sorry for this being inactive. i will fix to the best of my abilities

i have decided imma let someone else do it, i have been holding this for too long and im sorry for it honestly, just a personal issue so its better if someone else does it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)