SS OU TornFini BO

simp

early mornin’ wake ups
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
INTRODUCTION

Hello, I recently built a Bulky Offense team around Tornadus-T and Tapu Fini, so i thought i would share it with everyone here to hopefully share a decent team, and receive some feedback on it.
So, at first I knew I wanted to build a Bulky Offense around Torn-T, so I started off with :tornadus-therian:.
Then I knew I had to have an electric immune and a rocks setter, so :landorus-therian: fit the bill perfectly for this.
I next had to build a defensive core around these two. After some trial and error, I came to the conclusion that :ferrothorn: and :slowking-galar: would compliment each other very well as a pairing for a defensive backbone.
I next felt that my team needed an offensive tool which would also deal with setup sweepers: enter:tapu fini:
And finally, I needed some good old fashioned speed control, in the form of:tapu koko:, which aided my offensive matchups greatly.

THE TEAM

:ss/landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
This is the mandatory rocks setter for the team, with U-turn for momentum, Earthquake for STAB, Knock Off for removal of the ever present Leftovers and Heavy-Duty Boots and Stealth Rock, to well, get up rocks. I feel this Landorus set doesnt leave much for wanting, with the EVs being optimised for bulk, to ensure rocks are always set.

:ss/ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 244 HP / 80 Def / 172 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
Ferrothorn here is your traditional wall; punishing and annoyingly bulky. Thunder Wave is present to be used in conjunction with Iron Head to deal with Fairies, namely CM Clefable as the 12 speed EVs outspeed an uninvested Clefable when paralysed. Leech Seed is for passive recovery and longevity, while spikes are there for a hazard stacking synergy with Landorus-T.

:ss/slowking-galar:
Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpA / 80 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
The ever popular AV Glowking is back again, this time with earthquake to deal with Heatran, Future Sight to pressure the opponent and Flamethrower and Sludge Bomb to deal with Steel and Fairies respectively. I think this is a very useful special wall for this team, with the EVs designed to maximise its utility and firepower.

:ss/tornadus-therian:
Tornadus-Therian @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
The ever-present threat in Tornadus-Therian is back again, this time with hazard removal and an offensive tool in Nasty Plot STAB Hurricane. I felt defog was the natural option here, and it was easy to slot on along with my robust defensive core. Focus Blast is mainly coverage for bulky Steel types that tend to prevent Torn-T from doing its job.

:ss/tapu fini:
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Scald
I feel Tapu Fini is an underrated pick in the metagame right now, due to its amazing utility in shutting down setup sweepers and its underestimated bulk. This set is designed to outspeed heatran and clefable, to get the jump on them with the taunt. Draining Kiss and Leftovers enable Fini to generate enough passive recovery to allow it to safely setup, while scald is both a secondary stab and form of status, when the hugely beneficial Misty Terrain expires.

:ss/tapu koko:
Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost
And finally, here we have the speed control/pivot, in the form of Tapu Koko. With its great offensive typing and speed tier, this mon generates some amazing momentum for the team and puts sufficient pressure on the opponent with its dual stabs. Roost can be used to capitalise on switches, meaning Koko can increase its longevity, and of course its self boosting Terrain puts it at an instant advantage, removing any other terrain already there.

IMPORTABLE
:landorus-therian::ferrothorn::slowking-galar::tornadus-therian::tapu fini::tapu koko:
As always, any feedback is appreciated, and I hope you can all express your opinions/thoughts below!

Last edited:
I feel as though Fini is underrated in the current meta as a check to setup threats, especially considering how popular and diverse Dragapult has been as the only ghost in the metagame with good setup and supports included with the lack of answers to its sets, being as no viable dark or normal types can be reliably brought into the tier for all its sets. Not even to mention that its variety can break down many of the common checks it has, I think I'm noticing a trend here... Needless to say, it makes the rest of the team very valuable as well, being able to whisk through several common checks in the meta to the rest of the mons in your team, precisely what it needs.

I also love the dual hazard stacking, it helps Tornadus sweep late game (not even to mention the dual function as a defog mon) which give it a ton of value in a given match, and the dual regen core + Future Sight pressure makes it even more threatening.

The only thing I would criticize about the team is that I would personally add Leftovers to Ferrothorn for longevity, considering that it looks like it sees a lot of usage in a given match for its coverage on several other threats which the team needs to clear in order to function.

Well done, have fun with future team building, you simp :pimp:

On ferrothorn I’d advise you to drop iron head for either pwhip or gyro ball, pwhip gives you a better matchup against things you swap in on such as fini and gyro is usually better granted ferrothorns bad speed tier.

On ferrothorn I’d advise you to drop iron head for either pwhip or gyro ball, pwhip gives you a better matchup against things you swap in on such as fini and gyro is usually better granted ferrothorns bad speed tier.
Iron Head is usually used as a niche check to SubRoost Kyurem, since Gyro Ball's PP gets stalled out by Pressure. In all other situations though, Gyro Ball is the way to go.

In conjunction with Thunder Wave, iron head can 1v1 clef with the right speed EVs, so i believe it is a better fit in this case.
Agreed, I would definitely say Iron Head is nice as well as useful. Especially against other slower mons, granted you cannot punish Tornadous when it comes in with Nasty Plot + Focus Blast but at the least you can stall it out using Glowking.

Agreed, I would definitely say Iron Head is nice as well as useful. Especially against other slower mons, granted you cannot punish Tornadous when it comes in with Nasty Plot + Focus Blast but at the least you can stall it out using Glowking.
Oh, I also almost forgot to mention that 56 Spe on Fini only gets to 220 total speed while Heatran has a 128 Spe investment of 222. I think that 64 for a speed tie with Heatran would be useful, or 68 for a 1 stat speed creep. I say this because Heatran is seemingly an issue, as Tornadus, Ferrothorn, and Koko have trouble getting past it, and once your speed controls are threatened if they have a check to fini you are put in a rough 50/50.

simp

early mornin’ wake ups
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Oh, I also almost forgot to mention that 56 Spe on Fini only gets to 220 total speed while Heatran has a 128 Spe investment of 222. I think that 64 for a speed tie with Heatran would be useful, or 68 for a 1 stat speed creep. I say this because Heatran is seemingly an issue, as Tornadus, Ferrothorn, and Koko have trouble getting past it, and once your speed controls are threatened if they have a check to fini you are put in a rough 50/50.
While I do agree with this, I feel Fini's bulk is needed for DD pult, which is a very big threat to the team. Glowking can adequately answer Heatran with its Earthquakes 3HKOing it.

While I do agree with this, I feel Fini's bulk is needed for DD pult, which is a very big threat to the team. Glowking can adequately answer Heatran with its Earthquakes 3HKOing it.
Very true, I had that thought while thinking about it but I saw the text underneath Fini and got confused. Also, I believe a 31 IV 0 Atk EV Glowking Earthquake 2HKO's Heatran.

Hi simp, I like most of your team choices, especially NP torn.

I'm personally not a fan of your matchups vs Band Rilla, & powerful Shadow Ball ghosts in general, which I believe are still used despite the trier getting kicked in the rear.

My suggestion to help deal with those, would be scarf Hydreigon instead of Koko.
Of course, there are downsides such as being locked in, and having your opponent act in different ways than if it was Koko.

I'd also make Torn full HP to help check Rilla & make more use of the 33% regen as the game progresses.
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 142-168 (47.4 - 56.1%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 142-168 (39.2 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I'd also echo above in making your Ferro have more longevity with leftovers, as I can see it trying to check multiple things since Fini & Lando lack good recovery too.
Since a Helmet in general can be very helpful even without Barbs, I'd put it on Lando in that case as I don't think it needs lefties as much as other mons to check what it needs to.

I'm not totally confident with these suggestions, so I'd welcome counter suggestions as well.

Below is a paste with my edits. Good luck with the team man!

https://pokepast.es/0d1a0f374f26b7b8

Gomi

yep
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
was asked to put changes I recommended on disc here by simp

major stuff
:mandibuzz:>:slowking-galar:
Pults a nightmare for offense and you lack a consistent rillaboom check, SD specifically has alot of potential to simply sweep this team outright. Mandi gives you a way to clear up a slot on torn-t (ill come back to this later) and gives you a pretty good blanket physical check+anti pult measure.

SD :garchomp:/:landorus-therian:>:landorus-therian:
simply a matter of mandi making defensive unnecessary, koko isn't an issue with spdef ferro+ground. hate exca=lando hate kyurem=chomper

specs:dragapult:>:tapu koko:
pretty straightforward, sub kyurem is a huge annoyance here so this variant of speed control would benefit you more, also aids in making HO less of an annoying matchup, which is noteworthy when most of your defensive backbone lacks consistent recovery.

minor stuff
:tornadus-therian: Heat Wave/Toxic>fog
fog isnt really needed here with mandi now around, freeing up a slot for Torn-t to nail a common hard check. Zapdos or Corviknight. Take your pick really, personally I think heat wave is better here bc Corviknight is frustrating for this build to break otherwise, having a consistent way to nail Ferro is a nice bonus here too.

trapper :tapu fini:
more of a thing to consider than a concrete suggestion but having moonblast on fini would REALLY ease your garchomp mu and you don't need cm as a wincon as much with more pokemon to support NP torn as your wincon.

:ferrothorn:
you're missing speed creep for para'd clef, not much else to add really lol

https://pokepast.es/0e52bd61253c912e might be too many changes and you do lose to cm flame clef if you give it too many free turns but its managable, Modest pult is also reasonable here with how stonewalled koko is by Spdef Ferro+Ground but eh, figured it was better to be safe.

hope the changes help you at all lol I practically never post here

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)