Tournament Reset & Invite Only

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
/tour reset - restarts the signups (i.e. clears all those who have joined) of the current tournament (keeps rules).

/tour invonly - makes a tournament invite only, i.e. blocks uninvited users from signing up. This could be useful if you are hosting some qualification thing in say a subroom group chat and you don't want random people joining. Probably needs /tour reset and definitely needs /tour inv from here to function.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
/tour invonly - makes a tournament invite only, i.e. blocks uninvited users from signing up. This could be useful if you are hosting some qualification thing in say a subroom group chat and you don't want random people joining. Probably needs /tour reset and definitely needs /tour inv from here to function.
This seems like it'd be really annoying to do unless /tour invite accepted a lot of people all at once. For example, if you just wanted 16 people doing signups, you'd probably want do be able to do /tour invite user1, user2, user3, etc. or else script it with a room bot or something. But in any case, if this is just for groupchat purposes, I'd imagine you could just /tour ban unwanted signups (or if /tour dq works during signups, that). Couldn't you also just only give out the groupchat link to the particular players as well?

Lutra

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yes, I suppose I should have edited that /tour inv(ite) accepting an array of players is better than just one. I will do it now. I know there's ways you can adapt, but it also seems convenient to have a way to block signups before you modify the tournament rules also.

Last edited:

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
You can just ban anyone that's not supposed to be in the subroomgroupchat before the tour is started or just dq them if the tour is started anyway. /tour reset seems to be a handy command tho, should prob highlight the people who were kicked in that case.

Lutra

DQing while the tour is already started will probably ruin an elimination tournament by the way. The fairness of the brackets would be important for qualification-type tournaments.

I support /tour dq working in signups, which it doesn't currently. It doesn't seem good to have something that lasts longer than the specific tournament (in the case of ban). I mean you could hold this kind of tournament in the room too, it just restricts the room from having an open tournament while this is going on. The bans sticking around would not be desirable. I think reason is the second optional parameter for dq, so it also doesn't support multiple players I believe.

I guess I'd just say it's more work to actively search and remove users than just to have a block. Are your objections more about the consequences of blocking the signups or that it's not worth it given the rarity of its usage and perhaps a little extra work wouldn't be too harmful in those cases?

Last edited:

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Are your objections more about the consequences of blocking the signups or that it's not worth it given the rarity of its usage and perhaps a little extra work wouldn't be too harmful in those cases?
An invite-only tournament in a public room sounds a bit odd so, unless it's some kind of event. Just handling subroomgroupchats and its members seem a lot easier than having to create a new invite system to tournaments.

Lutra

An invite-only tournament in a public room sounds a bit odd so, unless it's some kind of event. Just handling subroomgroupchats and its members seem a lot easier than having to create a new invite system to tournaments.
Well, the command is just a sign-up block and temporary storage of permitted players for signups to pass through? I mean you can just make it so the host adds players themselves (instead of inviting), and avoid the temporary storage, but maybe it's too rude?

Edit: and perhaps just send into the chat for them to join, instead of PMs if there's too many invites.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)