Toxapex [QC 1/2]

:toxapex: :ss/toxapex: :toxapex:

[SET]
name: You Just Got Pranked Bro (Defensive Prankster)
move 1: Scald
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Recover
move 4: Haze
item: Banettite
ability: Regenerator
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Toxapex is one of the most formidable walls in Mix and Mega due to its fantastic defensive typing, immense bulk, and ability to utilize its pre and post mega abilities. It is the best Arcanine counter and is capable of switching in and walling many offensive Water-types like Dracovish and Lopunnite Barraskewda. Toxapex is also particularly annoying for other defensive Pokemon to deal with because of its ability to spread status with Toxic and Scald and pre-mega ability Regenerator providing passive recovery every time it switches out. Banettite provides Toxapex with the ability Prankster that gives all status category moves priority and enables Toxapex to Toxic, Recover, or Haze first in almost every situation. Scald is Toxapex's attacking option and allows it to fish for widespread burn opportunities among Pokemon that are immune to Toxic particularly Magic Bouncers like Sablenite Mandibuzz, Hippowdon, and Gastrodon, Steel-types like Corviknight and Excadrill, and Poison-types like Gengar, and Toxtricity. Toxic is Toxapex's most effective way of punishing opposing Pokemon and allows it to wear down both offensive and defensive options. Recover is Toxapex's consistent means of recovery and allows it to remain healthy throughout the game. Haze clears set up attempts and allows Toxapex to blanket check a wide variety of threats by Prankster Hazing before they can attack it with their boosted attacks.

Despite Toxapex's ability as a wall, it tends to be very passive and thus is easily exploitable by some of the metagame's premier special wallbreakers like Hydreigon, Gengar, Mewtwo, and Mew. Dragapult and Diancite Hydreigon are able to exploit all of these Pokemon with its STAB Ghost and Dragon coverage as well as exploit Mew and Rotoms that threaten Toxapex. In return, Toxapex is able to shut down Arcanine and pivot into Mandibuzz and Corviknight that can bother Dragapult and threaten them with Scald burns. Tyranitarite Rhyperior is a ground type that has the ability to check Electric-types like Rotom-Heat, Zekrom, and Dracozolt as well as Gengar. Rhyperior also appreciates Toxapex's ability to wall the majority of the Water-types in the metagame that can normally bother it. Despite their generally good synergy, Toxapex and Rhyperior share a weakness to Ground-types like Mamoswine, Excadrill, and even opposing Rhyperior can pose a serious threat to these two. Sablenite Corviknight forms an infamous defensive core with Toxapex with its immunity to Ground-type attacks and overall special defensive capabilities. Toxapex covers many of the Fire-types like Altarianite Arcanine that force Corviknight out. Mandibuzz is an alternative replacement to Corviknight that offers a partner that is able to check Gengar, Mewtwo, and Manectite Mew while appreciating Toxapex's ability to answer Fairy-types like Altarianite Arcanine, Kommo-o and Clefable as well as Terrakion. However, there are a lot of powerful offensive Electric-types present that can potentially cause this core problems. Ampharosite Clefable offers a solid check to a side range of of Electric-types present such as Lopunnite Zeraora, Zekrom, and Dracozolt while also checking Hydreigon in the event that Toxapex has mega evolved. In return, similar to Mandibuzz, Clefable appreciates Toxapex's ability to answer opposing Fairy-types.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Andyboy, 257571]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Last edited:

Sectonia

But I set fire to the rain
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
amqc check, do whatever you want with it

[SET]
name: You Just Got Pranked Bro (Put an actual set name, like Prankster Wall or smth, in parentheses, but the name is great! :blobthumbsup: )
move 1: Scald
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Recover
move 4: Haze
item: Banettite
ability: Regenerator
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Toxapex is one of the most formidable walls in Mix and Mega due to its fantastic defensive typing, immense bulk, and ability to utilize its pre and post mega abilities. It is the best Arcanine counter and is capable of switching in and walling many offensive Water-types like Dracovish and Lopunnite Barraskewda. Toxapex is also particularly annoying for other defensive Pokemon to deal with because of its ability to spread status with Toxic and Scald (Personally, I would mention how difficult it is to punish this, considering that pex is immune to its own toxic, and scald can't be bounced back) and pre-mega ability Regenerator providing passive recovery every time it switches out. (Maybe mention how pex would prefer to delay mega evolving until it has to, to keep using regen) Banettite provides Toxapex with the ability Prankster that gives all status category moves priority and enables Toxapex to Toxic, Recover, or Haze first in almost every situation. Scald is Toapex's attacking option and allows it to fish for widespread burn opportunities among Pokemon that are immune to Toxic particularly Magic Bouncers like Sablenite Corviknight, Mandibuzz and Gastrodon, Steel-types like Excadrill, and Poison-types like Gengar, and Toxctricity. Toxic is Toxapex's most effective way of punishing opposing Pokemon and allows it to wear down both offensive and defensive options. (I think that it's relevant to mention how picking which status is crucial, bc sometimes you want to burn, and sometimes you want to poison, and it depends on what your opponent is, in front of you.) Recover is Toxapex's consistent means of recovery and allows it to remain healthy throughout the game. Haze clears set up attempts and allows Toxapex to blanket check a wide variety of threats by Prankster Hazing before they can attack it with their boosted attacks.

Despite Toxapex's ability as a wall, it tends to be very passive and thus is easily exploitable by some of the metagame's premier special wallbreakers like Hydreigon, Gengar and Mew. Dragapult is able to exploit all three of these Pokemon with its STAB Ghost and Dragon coverage as well as switch into Rotoms that threaten Toxapex. In return, Toxapex is able to shut down Arcanine and pivot into Mandibuzz and Corviknight that can bother Dragapult and threaten them with Scald burns. Tyranitarite Rhyperior is a ground type that has the ability to check Electric-types like Rotom-Heat, Dracozolt and Pinsirite Toxtricity as well as Gengar and Pinsirite Arcanine in the event that Toxapex is weakened. Rhyperior also appreciates Toxapex's ability to wall the majority of the Water-types in the metagame that can normally bother it. Despite their generally good synergy, Toxapex and Rhyperior share a weakness to Ground-types like Mamoswine, Excadrill, and even opposing Rhyperior can pose a serious threat to these two. Sablenite Corviknight forms an infamous defensive core with Toxapex with its immunity to Ground-type attacks and overall special defensive capabilities. Toxapex covers many of the Fire-types like Altarianite Arcanine that force Corviknight out. However, there are a lot of powerful offensive Electric-types present that can potentially cause this core problems. (I would include a few partners that might appreciate their checks being statused with smth like toxic or burn, as it makes it harder for them to stay against those partners, like terrak vs lun/mew, etc. Also, mention how pex's a strong fairy resist, so dark types or dragon mons like it when pex is able to pivot into almost every fairy, could go into the dragapult mention too, if it doesn't warrant a different section)

Gman

Stay kind, stay compassionate
Great job, again :3 QC 1/2

Toxapex is one of the most formidable walls in Mix and Mega due to its fantastic defensive typing, immense bulk, and ability to utilize its pre and post mega abilities. It is the best Arcanine counter and is capable of switching in and walling many offensive Water-types like Dracovish and Lopunnite Barraskewda. Toxapex is also particularly annoying for other defensive Pokemon to deal with because of its ability to spread status with Toxic and Scald and pre-mega ability Regenerator providing passive recovery every time it switches out. Banettite provides Toxapex with the ability Prankster that gives all status category moves priority and enables Toxapex to Toxic, Recover, or Haze first in almost every situation. Scald is Toxapex's attacking option and allows it to fish for widespread burn opportunities among Pokemon that are immune to Toxic particularly Magic Bouncers like Sablenite Corviknight, Mandibuzz, Hippowdon and Gastrodon, Steel-types like Excadrill and Corviknight, and Poison-types like Gengar, and Toxctricity. This makes more sense to me. Toxic is Toxapex's most effective way of punishing opposing Pokemon and allows it to wear down both offensive and defensive options. Recover is Toxapex's consistent means of recovery and allows it to remain healthy throughout the game. Haze clears set up attempts and allows Toxapex to blanket check a wide variety of threats by Prankster Hazing before they can attack it with their boosted attacks.
Amazing paragraph!

Despite Toxapex's ability as a wall, it tends to be very passive and thus is easily exploitable by some of the metagame's premier special wallbreakers like Hydreigon, Gengar, Mewtwo, and Mew. Dragapult is able to exploit all three of these Pokemon with its STAB Ghost and Dragon coverage as well as switch into Rotoms that threaten Toxapex. In return, Toxapex is able to shut down Arcanine and pivot into Mandibuzz and Corviknight that can bother Dragapult and threaten them with Scald burns. Hydreigon deserves a parallel mention with Dragapult, for the same reasons. Tyranitarite Rhyperior is a ground type that has the ability to check Electric-types like Rotom-Heat, Dracozolt, Zekrom, and Pinsirite Toxtricity as well as Gengar and Pinsirite Arcanine in the event that Toxapex is weakened. Idk about Pins Toxtricity post Home but if you believe it retains some viability, keep it by all means! Also, why Gengar only in the event Pex is weakened? I feel like Pex should never be the Gengar check, as it loses 1v1. Rhyperior also appreciates Toxapex's ability to wall the majority of the Water-types in the metagame that can normally bother it. Despite their generally good synergy, Toxapex and Rhyperior share a weakness to Ground-types like Mamoswine, Excadrill, and even opposing Rhyperior can pose a serious threat to these two. Sablenite Corviknight forms an infamous defensive core with Toxapex with its immunity to Ground-type attacks and overall special defensive capabilities. Toxapex covers many of the Fire-types like Altarianite Arcanine that force Corviknight out. However, there are a lot of powerful offensive Electric-types present that can potentially cause this core problems. Include Mandibuzz as an alternative, as it checks a few of the aforementioned mons (Gengar, Mewtwo, Manec Mew) and appreciates Toxapex countering Arcanine; the core has the same problem with Electric types that Corvipex has, so it can be included in the same section.
Additional defensive partners I would add: Sab/Alt Hippo as a Terrak counter that more importantly checks Lop Zeraora, which all of the other partners struggle with, and appreciates Pex in ways similar to Rhyperior; Amph Clef, for a good check to Electric types and Hydreigon that appreciates Arcanine being in check and supports in the Status wars.

As for offensive partners, if there's space, I'd add how other threats that want Arcanine checked (Terrak, Zera) can also have decent synergy, and they also appreciate their counters being statused, like Secty said. However, since they do less for Pex than the other offensive partners you mentioned (Zera rkills a few threats, but Terrak doesn't), this is your call, depending on how long the other additions make the analysis.
About Secty's remaining input: the addition to the first paragraph are all valid, although none is really essential for a mini, and adding all 3 might make the analysis too verbose (and I should know ^^). My rank on the importance to express each point : Choose the right status > Difficult to punish > Delay mega.
On the fairy-type switch-in: maybe it's evident enough, but if it isn't, yeah, definitely just an addition in the Dragapult section, together with Arc, Mandi and Corvi, would work.

Last edited:
Implemented I added Mandibuzz and Ampharosite Clefable to potential partners and because this mini is already quite long...
  • I left out Sab/Alt Hippo, as Toxapex itself can function as a Terrak check some of the other partners like Ampharosite Clefable also check Lopunnite Zeraora.
  • I also left out Terrak and Zera because go-to checks for both of these like Manectite Mew and Altarianite Hippo are mons that Pex can't switch into well so I don't think it is the best support other than being able to check Alt Arcanine well.
  • Some of the points secty mentioned are good aspects of Toxapex gameplay, but again the analysis is running long and i'm not sure how much further I should delve into the intricacies of its play when I already mentioned that Regenerator is a premega ability and that it can harass opposing defensive Pokemon. I am Interested to see what QC 2/2 thinks on this matter if it is deemed acceptable I am certainly willing to add more details.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)