Ubers Toxapex [QC: 2/2][GP: 1/1]

Lana

formerly pichus
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
OMPL Champion
[SET]
name: Physical Wall
move 1: Recover
move 2: Haze
move 3: Toxic / Baneful Bunker / Toxic Spikes
move 4: Chilling Water / Surf / Baneful Bunker
item: Rocky Helmet / Eject Button
ability: Regenerator
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
tera type: Ground / Fairy

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Toxic prevents strong attackers like Miraidon, Iron Bundle, and Great Tusk and walls like Ting-Lu from switching into Toxapex for free and threatening it. Baneful Bunker is useful to scout attacks from Miraidon, Iron Bundle, and Flutter Mane and to get a surprise poison on Koraidon and Chien-Pao, especially if they are locked into an attack.
  • Chilling Water allows Toxapex to beat Taunt + Bulk Up Palafin and Quaquaval and helps it be less passive against Great Tusk and Iron Treads. Alternatively, Surf deals more damage to Chien-Pao, Annihilape, Chi-Yu, and Gholdengo.
  • Rocky Helmet secures decent chip damage on Pokemon that try to exploit Toxapex's passive nature, such as Choice Scarf Koraidon using U-turn to pivot to another teammate or Chien-Pao using Crunch. However, Eject Button is an option to absorb a hit and get immediate momentum in the game.
  • Tera Ground Toxapex can comfortably survive otherwise super effective attacks from Great Tusk, Iron Treads, and Dugtrio, while Tera Fairy is helpful to weaken attacks such as Freeze-Dry from Iron Bundle, Crunch from Chien-Pao, and Outrage from Koraidon.
  • Toxapex cannot reliably beat Swords Dance and Choice Band variants of Chien-Pao and Koraidon on its own, so it must be paired with backup checks such as Skeledirge, Alomomola, Great Tusk, and Corviknight. Ting-Lu, Iron Treads, and Clodsire are good special walls that check strong special attackers and set entry hazards so they can't switch into Toxapex for free.
  • Toxapex creates many opportunities for wallbreakers and sweepers like Chien-Pao, Kingambit, Annihilape, Iron Bundle, Miraidon, and Koraidon to flourish while functioning as a solid check to the Pokemon that revenge kill them.
  • Toxapex acts as a pivot that can scout for attacks, especially from passive Pokemon, as it absorbs their hits and weakens them with Rocky Helmet damage or Toxic to bring them in range of attacks from its teammates.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[pichus, 374620]]
- Quality checked by: [[Aberforth, 249382], [corvere, 306317]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Lumari, 232216]]

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Going from top down:

I honestly think Rocky Helmet is a must. You're already so passive that not being able to get chip damage on attacks like U-Turn is a real negative for me, so I would remove the Black Sludge slash unless another QC member says otherwise.

Dont call Toxic essential if you have it slashed. Either remove the slash, as you have Baneful Bunker slashed beneath it anyway, or reword it so that it reads as a good option rather than a must have.

Make a point of Toxapex's role on a team as a pivot that sponges attacks that keeps healthy via Regenerator, and how its teammates can take advantage of this (ie: wearing down opposing threats and checks through use of Rocky Helmet, making it easier to put them in range for strong attackers). You start doing this in the final point, but I think it needs more detail.

Also, is there a reason the teammates are only Physical attackers? I'd include mention of Iron Bundle or Flutter Mane or something probably. Ideally, name the Pokemon that check the attackers you list that Toxapex can help against (Corviknight in particular).

QC 1/2, these are small things that are easy to change.

corvere

and beneath the mist, i saw my true reflection
is a Top Contributor
i would slash eject button as an item, lets you pivot in-and-out of mons like koraidon, pao, chiyu, valiant etc and gives you immediate momentum plus its something people are running in some teams with trappers like dug. for both these reasons i would also suggest adding dug as a teammate.
no black sludge mention is fine.

i would maybe also suggest/slash moves like ice beam or surf as 4th move. both hit tusk and prevent it from subbing for free on you. surf also hits chiyu and gholdengo, tera fire mons and deals a decent chunk to chienpao. i personally would not run chilling water. its useless vs sd mons and even against bulk up and curse mons you still lose (see, ape)

2/2

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
GP Team done
[SET]
name: Physically Defensive Wall
move 1: Recover
move 2: Haze
move 3: Toxic / Baneful Bunker / Toxic Spikes
move 4: Chilling Water / Surf / Baneful Bunker
item: Rocky Helmet / Eject Button
ability: Regenerator
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
tera type: Ground / Fairy

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Toxic prevents strong attackers like Miraidon, Iron Bundle, and Great Tusk (RC) and defensive walls like Ting-Lu from switching into Toxapex for free and threatening it. Baneful Bunker is useful to scout attacks from Miraidon, Iron Bundle, and Flutter Mane (RC) and to get a surprise poison on Koraidon and Chien-Pao, especially if they are locked into an attack.
  • Chilling Water allows Toxapex to beat Taunt + Bulk Up Palafin and Quaquaval (RC) and helps it be less passive against Great Tusk and Iron Treads. Alternatively, Surf is used to deal deals more damage to Chien-Pao, Annihilape, Chi-Yu, and Gholdengo.
  • Rocky Helmet secures decent chip damage on Pokemon that try to abuse its exploit Toxapex's passive nature, such as Choice Scarf Koraidon using U-turn to pivot to another teammate or Chien-Pao using Crunch. However, Eject Button is used an option to absorb a hit and get immediate momentum in the game.
  • Tera Ground Toxapex can comfortably survive otherwise super effective attacks from Great Tusk, Iron Treads, and Dugtrio, while Tera Fairy is helpful to weaken attacks such as Freeze-Dry from Iron Bundle, Crunch from Chien-Pao, and Outrage from Koraidon.
  • Toxapex cannot reliably beat Swords Dance and Choice Band variants of Chien-Pao and Koraidon on its own, so it must be paired with backup checks such as Skeledirge, Alomomola, Great Tusk, and Corviknight. Ting-Lu, Iron Treads, and Clodsire are good special walls that check strong special attackers and set entry hazards so they can't switch into Toxapex for free.
  • Toxapex creates many opportunities for breakers wallbreakers and sweepers like Chien-Pao, Kingambit, Annihilape, Iron Bundle, Miraidon, and Koraidon to flourish while functioning as a solid check to the Pokemon that revenge kill them.
  • Toxapex acts as a pivot that can scout for attacks, especially from passive Pokemon, which is invaluable as it absorbs their hits and weakens them by with Rocky Helmet damage or Toxic (RC) to bring them in range of attacks from its teammates.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[pichus, 374620]]
- Quality checked by: [[Aberforth, 249382], [corvere, 306317]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)