BW OU Toxic Invasion ~ Peaked 1st

Ojama

Banned deucer.
Toxic Invasion ~

Introduction

Hello Smogon ! This is my second RMT on this forum and I'm really happy to share it with you all, as it's probably my best team. I used this team during the Smogon Tournament 8 and on the ladder. Just before the Smogon Tournament 8, McMeghan and I decided to build 3-4 Teams to use for the tournament. While McMeghan decided to build Sun Stall, I decided to build a Semi-sand Stall around my favorite Pokemon in this Gen, SubToxic + Protect Gliscor. This thing is absolutely amazing and has very few counters. Since the goal was to build SemiStall, I used a standard defensive core with Heatran, Skarmory and Celebi. I had my Spikers and my Rotom-W counter, but I realized that to combat the weather and hazards that are prevalent in Gen 5, I wanted a weather-inducer of my own and a spinner. Since Gengar is a bit of a problem for Gliscor and gave my team a lot of trouble, I decided to run Scarf on my Tyranitar. For the last slot, I decided on using a Bulky Starmie as my spinner, as I find it to be a good fit in Balanced / Stall Teams. Here's why I chose each Pokemon:

Team At A Glance

Snoop Dog (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower

In this really nice metagame (......) you obviously have to use a weather. To be honest, except with offensive teams, I can't play without a weather inducer. That's simply impossible. How to handle specs Hydro Pumps in rain ? Seriously... Well, it's not a surprise that I chose Tyranitar for my weather inducer. But that's not his only job on this team. I said in the introduction that Gengar was a bit of problem for Gliscor. As such, I needed a Pursuiter to deal with it. Scarf Tyranitar was the solution. Well, of course I have to play well because Gengar has Substitute, but it's quite simple to predict the Gengar and make a double switch to trap it. In addition, ScarfTar makes a great trapper for Starmie, which could spin away my entry hazards. Tornadus is also a bit of problem for this team and once again Tyranitar makes a great answer for this thing. Paired with U-Turn Celebi, ScarfTar is absolutely excellent and is able to easily kill the likes of Latias, Latios, Gengar and Tornadus, which usually come in on Celebi without any problem. Last important thing, NP Celebi with 3 attacks is kinda annoying for this team, so Tyranitar can be helpful to deal with it.

Outrage Me (Skarmory) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost

In a SemiStall Team, I obviously needed a great wall which was able to set up the Spikes. Skarmory was just perfect for this job. This thing is probably the most important member on the team because it's a great switchin to stupid Landorus and other stuff like Haxorus, Dragonite, Breloom, Scizor, etc. In addition, it has access to Spikes + Roost, which is just perfect. Since Gliscor doesn't have defensive EV investment, Terrakion can be tricky to deal with, so that's why Skarmory was the best for this job. I don't really like the lack of Leftovers, and it's why I didn't put Shed Shell on it, and Magnezone isn't a big problem for the team to be honest. Well, each time I faced a Magnezone, I did well and just played around the Spikes + SR. I put 8 EVs in Speed for opposing Skarmory so I can use Whirlwind before it. Skarmory is also a great switch in to SD Toxicroak, which is able to destroy my team I guess. The same goes for Gliscor, because I can't hit it with my own Gliscor, and Skarmory is probably the best switch I have. Well, that's my physical wall and my Spiker, that just shows how important is Skarmory on this team.

Shut up (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 212 SDef / 40 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar

If there is a Pokemon I can't play without in a SemiStall (Sun or Sand,) it's probably Heatran. Great coverage, a great special defense and a good defense. Access to Stealth Rocks, it resists to Sandstorm and has a good special attack for a stall Pokemon. Well, Heatran is just incredible this Gen. I hesitated a lot between the standard Heatran with Toxic + Protect, but since I already had Gliscor, I decided to run Roar instead of Toxic. In addition, I can stall the opponent with Roar + entry hazards, which is really nice. That's my best answer to Volcarona (without HP Ground) and Celebi (without Earth Power). Skarmory just laughs at Gliscor and can set up Spikes easily, so that's why Heatran is great on this team. Protect is the most important move I guess. It allows Heatran to restore its HP a little and that's great when the opponent is burned or poisoned. Sun teams were annoying and even though Dugtrio is used in 99% of sun teams, Heatran remains a great switch in to Ninetales, Venusaur, etc. That's the same problem with Magnezone for Skarmory. I have to play very well to keep Heatran alive, because without it, I'm really really weak to Volcarona. Well, Heatran is just a beast <3.

Annoying ? (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect

"THIS THING IS A BEAST". I totally agree with this sentence to describe how great is Gliscor in this gen, especially the SubToxic + Protect one. I don't know how many times I faced this thing and lost, seriously SubToxic Gliscor is just amazing. Well, you probably got it, I built this team around SubToxic + Protect Gliscor because it's the perfect definition of a great pokemon in SemiStall teams. This Gliscor has a few counters (Skarmory, Gengar, Gliscor, Bronzong, and a few others) and is able to destroy an entire team by abusing the residual damages of Toxic with Substitute + Protect. I think I have to explain this spread. I needed to outspeed Rotom-W of course, but I was still weak to Dragonite, Gyarados, and Mamoswine, which is why I put enough EVs in speed to reach 262, so I'm able to outspeed those Pokemon and Toxic them before they attack me. If Gliscor is still alive I know that I still have a chance to win the match. Well, Gliscor is also a great physical supporter for the team. With Toxic Orb + Poison Heal and Protect, Gliscor is able to restore its health easily, made easier by its great defense. Gliscor's my best switch in to Terrakion and with Toxic Orb, I can switch in easily on a stall Heatran which is also moderately annoying for the team. Well, that's my favorite Pokemon of this Gen, I really enjoyed using it and raping my opponent with it :P.

Kuriboh (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 148 SDef / 44 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Perish Song
- U-turn
- Recover
- Giga Drain

Ok, I was rain Weak, I was Rotom-W Weak, I needed a status absorber, and I was weak to CM Reuniclus. Hello Celebi ! I discovered this set in a battle from K12 The Madchine and I really liked the idea. This team is a Semi Stall and I obviously needed a great rain switch in, and Celebi was just perfect. I decided to run a Calm nature because I had Skarmory + Gliscor as physical walls and only Heatran as a specially defensive wall (even though Tyranitar can help with the sandstorm boost) and I needed the best nature to easily take Hydro Pumps in rain. I really hesitated between U-Turn and HP Fire because it pissed me off to get Pursuited by a Scizor, but I finally kept U-Turn because it is just amazing with Tyranitar, Heatran and Skarmory. With that, I'm able to pressure my opponent with U-turn and entry hazards. Even though this is a Semi Stall team, it's not a slow team and I'm rarely dominated by the opponent's team. Perish Song isn't only for Reuniclus, it is also useful against CM Jirachi and an annoying last Pokemon that I'm unable to roar away or kill. U-Turn is also useful against NP Celebi, which is a great problem if it has Earth Power, so with U-Turn + Scarf Tyranitar, NP Celebi isn't a problem anymore, and that's cool. It's a great status absorber, etc, etc. About the spread, I put enough EVs in Special Defense to reach 300 and the last few EVs were placed in physical defense, especially for Pursuit.

SliderStar (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Last but not least. I really needed a spinner on my team because I just hate entry hazards, especially Stealth Rock, and I didn't have a lot of choices. Forretress was too bad and I couldn't use Tentacruel on a sand team. Bulky Starmie was great. It's another status absorber, it's another switch for rain teams, it has great Speed, allowing it to outspeed Tornadus, Gengar, Infernape, etc. With this new horrible move known as Scald, Starmie was just perfect for my team. If I'm lucky enough, I can burn a Tyranitar or a Ferrothorn and then they can't do anything to Starmie. It also has Recover, which is absolutely perfect. Well, for the last slot, I decided to use Psyshock or Psychic because Thunderbolt was quite useless and I don't really need Ice Beam. If I did run Psyshock, it's especially for Gengar and Gastrodon. But, Psychic is also a great option because Bulk Up Breloom is really tricky, same for Conkeldurr. I can also OHKO Gengar, which is great. About the spread, I used a standard bulky spread with 32 EVs in defense because I didn't need full speed, I can't do anything against an opposing Starmie so that's useless to lose 32 EVs.

Conclusion

Well, that's the end of this RMT. I'm too lazy to write a threat list at the moment, but maybe I'll do it later. The major threats are Volcarona @ HP Ground and offensive teams with Magnezone, Tornadus, Haxorus, etc. I would like first to thank you all if you read my RMT and a few members of smogon. My new and previous SPL Teams, especially Philip7086, MoP, Kevin Garrett and Limitless (the last two know why), McMeghan for our great moments in building teams, Go10 of course because that's my "tutor" forever and he's the one who taught me how to play, Stallion for helping me write this RMT, Bluewind, BIHI and.........Haunter / Alucard / RandomNoob / StupidAdmin (:p) etc, etc, sorry if I forgot members :(

PS : Congratulations Snunch.

This is an amazing team and it completely fucked me when I faced you in st8. Our teams were nearly mirror matches with the exception of one poke, which screwed me. Again, beautiful team and I cant give a good rate because this team has proven itself to me. Only thing I would do is give Gliscor 216 Speed EVs to outspeed admant lucario and max speed timid heatran.

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Amazing team, i used it in SPL and ST8 (especially this one) with success. Every member are important and do their job really well.

Here are juste the few changes i used to run :

- Shed Shell on Skarmory, allowing me to be less weak to DragMag.
- Enough speed on Gliscor to reach 308. So there isn't any problem with any kind of Lucario, and Gliscor is then able to outspeed any kind of Rotom-W (the Scarf one isn't an issue at all with Protect and Celebi). The only problem here is, Gliscor is less bulky, and there isn't any Rock resistance in the team, so CB Ttar/Terrakion may be annoying.

- Dugtrio (Focus Sash) on Heatran, i actually almost run it, it's just useful in a lot of situation (able to RK some mon like Baloon Terrakion which could setup on Ttar). I in fact first used Dugtrio because i wanted to trap other Ttar so Starmie and Celebi can do their job properly.

Excellent team, i really loved using it.

Amazing team Ojama, can't much to say because it's really solid since I have a similar one only changing the sets and it worked really well, congrats dude.
In all the time I used the same mons SubSplit LO Gar can be very gay for this team, but I don't want to make any change since it would make worse the team sinergy and in BW you can't cover all the threats.
You can put Shed Shell in Skarm for shitdragmag teams, and maybe you could put enough speed in Gliscor to outspeed those random Lucario sets with Ice Punch.
Great team and congrats in the success, Luvdisc'd :)

Have you ever had issues with Sun? To me, it looks like their Forretress can Volt Switch out of Heatran, trap you with Dugtrio, and then you're in a load of trouble. Scarf Tyranitar is a great check to Chlorophyll sweepers, yeah, but it's also Dugtrio prone, since it still can't outspeed and Duggy nearly always has sash. I'm not saying you can't beat these teams - I used to use a very similar team and I had similar problems, which can be overcome by alot of double switching - but it is difficult to pull off, especially against better players. Also, as you've mentioned, HP Ground Volcarona pretty much 6-0s you.

I think a specially defensive Dragonite would work really well on this team, probably over Celebi - Dnite's still a water resist that can phaze, counter Breloom and abuse hazards, so you're losing as little as possible while gaining counters to your two main weaknesses. With Dragon Tail / Roost / Fire Blast, Dnite takes nearly everything Sun teams can throw at it while not being Dugtrio bait, and it also obviously walls HP Ground Volc. The last slot should be occupied by Haze, since it lets Dnite outstall last mon CM Reuniclus and it also beats Baton Pass teams.
Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Haze

Nice team man, solid as hell. GL, hope this helped

Ojama

Banned deucer.
With Dragonite, I couldn't switch easily on Rotom-W which can WoW Dragonite. Nah seriously, I know Sun Teams are annoying for this Team but I'm not dumb. I won't send Heatran on Forretress and if I send Tar, it is only for the SandStorm, I won't stay in of course... But, already said it, Dug + Sun Teams are of course problematic.
Thx for the rate

The only thing that I would suggest would be Dugtrio > Heatran. You'll easily trap and KO Volc with Stone Edge with this switch; eliminating a serious threat for your team.
obvious, common set will do the trick lol!
Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe | Arena Trap
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Reversal

I know you like heatran, but duggy still allows you to be immune to sand, have access to sr, and then do a better job at taking out volc. the only thing that it doesnt have is roar. youll have to think about which you like more overall, but im just saying: this could be a helpful option!
Besides that man, excellent team!

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hmm, nice team. However, I would slap toxic on one more mon. Due to the fact your so bulky, you can't dish out many hits offensively. Sub Hydreigon can get a sub up on the majority of your team, and it can OHKO Tyranitar, in sun OHKO Celebi, 2 hits Tran, 1 hits Skarm, and 2 hits Starmie which isn't doing much to it.

I suggest just adding a Blissey or something as you are quite weak to special attacking mons. However, other then that good team.

(and of course, be wary of CB Terra Stone Edge spam :P)

How do you handle scarf landorus once skarmory is gone to a magnet pull magnetzone? then coming in and selectively weakening your pokemon one by one.
u turn out on celebi, eq tyranitar & starmie & Heatran, hp ice gliscor

other than that, I really love this team!
Gliscor with toxic is one of my favorite sets

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ugh, I remember playing this team and it was hell to face. That being said it's an excellent team and ultimately the quintessence of 5th Gen Semi Stall, unfortunately most Semi Stall teams of the 5th Generation are relatively weak to most Special attackers with Ghost/Fighting or Dark/Fighting Coverage. As Stone and BKC have already outlined, Substitute Hydreigon and Gengar have coverage that can hit each of these teams members either very hard [due to Skarmory's low Special Defense] or super effectively. Trick Room Reuniclus can obviously be stalled out, but it's certainly able to tear a hole in this team much like SubHydro and Gengar. Jirachi is essentially the perfect Pokemon for this team, given that it walls the majority of the big special attackers in today's metagame, I think you could probably put it over Ttar [since you already have weather handled somewhat with your core] or Celebi [since Starmie can handle rain to an extent], but even that could hamper your team's ability to fight offensive rain, which continues to grow in popularity. Overall, I think this team would love to have a Specially Defensive Jirachi on it, but you might have to toy around with it a bit to fit it in there.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Protect

Finally, I think you could probably change your Skarmory's EVs to EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe, mainly because it gets you to 180 Speed, which allows you to outspeed Pokemon such as CB Tyranitar, Jellicent and Politoed who often try to reach somewhere around 179 Speed so they outspeed stuff like 8 Speed Skarm. They're relatively common and you don't lose out on too much bulk. Overall, wonderful team and I hope my suggestions helped a bit.

Hey there.

SD + Taunt Gliscor seems like a major problem to this team. It can easily set up on your Gliscor / Skarmory, and proceed to knock out your whole team. Starmie can't Ko it since it has no investment in Special Attack, and because of Poison Heal, it can gain its HP back very easily. An easy way to fix this is to simply run a Hasty nature on Tyranitar with Ice Beam over Stone Edge. This will let Tyranitar score a surprise kill on Gliscor, especially if the opponent is unaware that Tyranitar is scarfed. Ice Beam still lets Tyranitar take out Dragonite anyway, and Crunch and Superpower can do enough damage to most other Pokemon anyway, especially after hazard damage.

Also, change Gliscor's EV spread to 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Speed. This spread will let Gliscor outrun important threats such as SD Toxicroak and Modest Max Speed Rotom-W. SD Toxicroak can do around 80% to Skarmory after a Swords Dance, so would be problematic otherwise if Skarmory isn't at close to full health. This spread also lets Gliscor outrun Adamant Lucario, who can do some damage to your team as well, especially if it runs Bullet Punch to knock out Tyranitar. The loss in bulk isn't too problematic since you have Skarmory anyway.

Solid team. Hope I helped, and good luck!

Ojama

Banned deucer.
Hmm, interessting. I will test IBeam on Tyranitar but maybe I could use IBeam on Starmie (over Psyshock). I won't use Jirachi Karpman because I'll be really Rotom-W weak. And I hate blissey, I won't use it for sure. I will test your spread ShakeItUp, but if Lucario runs BPunch, it doesn't run IPunch, and if it runs IPunch it doesn't run BPunch so that's not a real threat, but I will test this Spread. Thx for the spread Karpman.
Thx for the rate !

YO! Cool team man, I really hate that Gliscor when facing it, but it's really good. I don't think I need to mention the threats here as others have pointed them out (HP Ground Volcarona, Taunt SD Gliscor). I couldn't think of much at first but I decided to think out of the box and I thought of something, namely the following set:

Blastoise @ Leftovers | Rain Dish
Calm | 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Scald / Rapid Spin / Toxic / Dragon Tail

Bosstoise can switch in on both Volcarona and Gliscor quite easily with this spread, not being 2HKOed by LO Bug Buzz from the former or +2 Earthquake from the latter, and beating them. Scald 2HKOes Gliscor, while Volcarona with Hidden Power Ground has no recovery so you can either Toxic it or Dragon Tail. It also functions quite well over Starmie since it still provides a decent second rain switchin, especially when considering Rain Dish.

I know you won't use Blastoise ;p, but good luck with the team anyways.

I really enjoy the make and the sets of the team. While playing tiers such as RU and even UU, I have seen Eviolite Gligar abusing this set and it is extremely annoying. Gliscor has such good speed and defense that it can take multiple hits and can outspeed to sub up/toxic.

1 small suggestion:
I would prefer Leaf Storm > Giga Drain even though Giga Drain gives you health back and doesn't place you at -2. Leaf Storm has more power and poses as a bigger threat to rain teams. Since you have Recover you have a recovery move. Now, I say you test it because since you have U-Turn you can easily withdraw back with Celebi's good speed and defenses and not be threatened.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions. VM or PM me.

Not a fan of semi-stall/stall teams but this team looks really good. Love the Celebi set btw, I've seen a few people stop a few sweepers from doing much.

Ojama

Banned deucer.
yeah giga drain could work but idk, it doesn't seem legit to run leaf storm on a stall pkmn, but i will try.

Great team, I already used a similar team but was not as effective as this one.

I support McMeghan's proposition about a faster Gliscor, this will allow you to outspeed Lucario or other shit like that.

Good job !

Pretty cool team you have, but seems like a standard sun team can beat it. However, seeing that you hit number 1 with this team, I'm guessing you didn't have any problems with them. Good job :).

Also, skarm, heatran, and gliscor names are pretty funny lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)