Metagame Trademarked

SUBSTITUTE SUSPECT OVER

Results
Ban 8 votes
Do not ban 2 votes

So with an 80% towards ban (70% if Clefable meant to truly change to do not ban). Substiute is now banned as a trademarked.

Tagging The Immortal

Thank you guys for all the support this month as we soon draw to a close as omotm. I know this meta got rough in some places but I hope that it can gain more popularity and be more smooth moving forward. I do see that some also wanted wish banned however and sub to be kept. So if in future we ever get to a point where wish is banned I would consider resuspecting sub. But nonetheless thanks to all who helped contribute to trademarked this month (and you Ktütverde ws forgiveness for me forgetting to tag you despite how much you helped on vr and even posted samples in the thread).

I just hope whehter if we are lucky this gen or if get picked for omotm in gen 8 that we can hopefully have a much less toxic and fun meta. I have to get back to work so cant say all I would like to say here but once again yhanks for support anf hope you all have a wonderful day

It was a pretty fun OMOTM. I don't usually play them as much as I played Trademarked unless they're pretty fun, and I found trademarked pretty enjoyable. I'm glad Substitute is gone, because it was probably the most annoying part of the meta to deal with, although I still have a feeling we'll be seeing Chansey everywhere. Regardless, good luck with the meta as it moves forward!

Fun OMOTM that I've enjoyed playing, here is a set I came up with I don't think I've seen before:

Lycanroc-Dusk @ Lycanium Z
Ability: swordsdance
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Accelerock
- Stone Edge
- Stomping Tantrum/Drill Run
- Sucker Punch

Bit of an alternative to SD Weavile, double priority with Accelerock and Sucker Punch allows for revenge killing, especially against TR teams. Lycanium Z means that Lycanroc can OHKO Max Def Skarm and Max Def Eviolite Chansey at +2. Stomping Tantrum or Drill Run depending on if power or accuracy is what you prefer. It should be of note that Drill Run is guaranteed to 2HKO 252HP Magearna. Accelerock is the priority of choice, having a chance to OHKO Alolan-Marowak with SR up, or Sucker Punch could also be used for the guaranteed OHKO. If you want a different Z-user, Band could be used if you want the max Accelerock output, or Life Orb for the ability to chose moves.

This is a replay of the set in action, were it made me go from potentially losing 4-0 to winning, thanks to spikes support.

+2 252 Atk Lycanroc-Dusk Splintered Stormshards vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 753-886 (107.1 - 126%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Lycanroc-Dusk Splintered Stormshards vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 322-381 (96.6 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Lycanroc-Dusk Drill Run vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 186-220 (51.2 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Lycanroc-Dusk Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 260-306 (80.4 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Lycanroc-Dusk Accelerock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 222-264 (68.7 - 81.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Possible damage amounts: (260, 262, 266, 268, 272, 274, 278, 280, 284, 286, 290, 292, 296, 298, 302, 306)

List of things that might be better post-sub:

Trick Room
Trick room was already really strong in Substitute meta, but often found its precious TR turns stalled out by Substitute mons. With that recourse gone, next to nothing will be able to switch into Stakataka under Trick Room safely.

Speed boosting/priority sweepers
One use of Substitute was to provide a reliable revenge killing method for speed boosting sweepers like Shell Smash mons and Rock Polish Landorus, as well as priority-using mons like Linoone. With Sub gone, expect a "race to the top", with the fastest threats becoming the most dangerous – especially ones that function well versus TR. An important move to consider is Tailwind, which will probably be a decider of many an offense vs offense matchup.

Will-O-Wisp and other status-inflicting moves
Will-O-Wisp is the bane of physical sweepers, and all your banded mons which once hid behind a sub are now naked. Thunder Wave and Toxic may also potentially see a rise in viability, but I single out Will-O-Wisp because it provides counterplay to TR and Speed boosting mons.

Me First and Mirror Move
These moves are still legal as abilities! As a whole, with no Substitute, double switching will become less safe, which means players will attack more often, which means Me First and Mirror Move should be more effective. Something to keep in mind as an option for revenge killing frailer setup sweepers.

Victini, Mew, and Magearna
Here are my Top 3 for biggest winners of the no-sub meta. Victini is a coveted physical wallbreaker immune to Will-O-Wisp. Its big flaw was that it was often forced out after V-Creating into a Substitute, but now there is no safe switchin to it. Mew I have up here just because its Transform set will become much more potent with no Sub to block the cloning move. It will be able to countersweep Shell Smashers as well as cancel TR users' TR turns. Magearna was always a top-tier utility mon which almost never used substitute, so it can only stand to benefit from Substitute's removal. Heart Swap Mag will be almost a necessity on most teams to not be weak to boosting mons, and its Trick Room set will be able to reliably set the effect over the course of a game for Trick Room teams.

Replay Hall of Fame:
As the tier draws to a close, I'd like to make an unofficial showcase for the best and most creative Trademarked replays. If you have a replay that you would like added to the list please PM me!

Last edited:

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ (formerly aragornbird)
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This was one of my favorite OMs in recent months, even with Substitute cancer, so here's the team that got me to #1 on the ladder

Watch Your Feet

Since Trademarked involves switching in and out to make use of trademarked moves, entry hazards have a major impact in this metagame. The goal of this team is to set up hazards on the opponent's side while preventing them from being able to get rid of them.​

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: spikes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Protect
- Brave Bird

Skarmory is my lead and one of the most important Pokemon on the team due to how easily it sets up entry hazards. Since it's the team member that's most vulnerable to Tail Glow Xurkitree and Substitute Heatran, I gave it Protect. Protect scouts for what move Xurkitree will use (since it's almost always Choiced) and wastes Heatran's precious Magma Storm PP.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: willowisp
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Shadow Ball
- Haze
- Pain Split

Cofagrigus fulfills multiple roles as a spin blocker, Toxic Spikes setter, and a good counter to physical Trick Room sweepers including Stakataka. Minimum speed to underspeed Alolan Marowak and KO it with Shadow Ball after Spikes and Stealth Rock damage. Shadow Ball over Hex since Marowak-A can't be burned and Toxic Spikes aren't always guaranteed to be on the field with Poisons like Toxapex being so common. Haze gets rid of stat boosts and can be used multiple times without switching unlike a trademarked Haze.

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: taunt
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 192 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

Muk absorbs Toxic Spikes and is a great counter to Psychic and Ghost types like Mega Alakazam and Gengar. But the main reason I use it is for the rather underrated trademark Taunt. It pretty much shuts down Defoggers like Zapdos, Mew, and Skarmory. And they also can't heal themselves or set their own entry hazards, or do anything else other than attack or switch in which case they'll get their items knocked off or Pursuited. Clerics like Chansey and Magearna also fall prey to Muk since they can't use Aromatherapy or Heal Bell to cure Burns and Poison.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: substitute
EVs: 172 HP / 120 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

There are many Substitute users I could choose from, but I chose Excadrill for several reasons. First, I needed a Spinner since I don't want Defog removing entry hazards I set up. I also needed a Pokemon that can create 101 HP Subs that can't be broken with a single Seismic Toss or Night Shade. This gives me a free chance to attack or Swords Dance. Having STAB Earthquake means that the most common Haze and Heart Swap users (Toxapex and Magearna) will take a lot of damage if they try to switch in. And finally, Excadrill's type combination lets it resist both U-Turn and Volt Switch, which are often used to break Subs while switching to a counter.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: wish
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Heal Bell

It's Chansey. Not much to say here. Wish is a super useful trademark and is especially important for a defensive team like this. Protect can be used to scout for Banded Pursuit users. If she doesn't switch, Chansey can take a Pursuit even if the opponent has used Swords Dance.

Tapu Fini @ Assault Vest
Ability: trick
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 12 SpA / 176 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Scald
- Taunt

The sixth slot has changed multiple times, but I settled on Tapu Fini. Originally I gave it a Reflect trademark to take on the likes of Buzzwhole, Conkeldurr, and Kommo-o. But after seeing Imperator Romanum's Trick Vest set, I tried it out and it worked really well. It allows me to shut down Defoggers/clerics without having to switch to Muk every time one appeared.

Keep in mind that Assault Vest only prevents you from selecting a status move, not using it. If Fini tricks Assault Vest on the same turn the opponent has already chosen a status move, they'll still be able to use it for that turn. So Muk's job is still needed if I absolutely don't want the opponent to Defog or heal.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: willowisp
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Shadow Ball
- Haze
- Pain Split

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: taunt
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 192 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: spikes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Protect
- Brave Bird

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: substitute
EVs: 172 HP / 120 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: wish
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Tapu Fini @ Assault Vest
Ability: trick
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 12 SpA / 176 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Scald
- Taunt

Mega Scizor/Landorus-T with Z-Crystals - They're Defog users that can't be Tricked and since they're physical, Muk won't enjoy switching in. Burning them with Will-o-wisp makes them easier to deal with and they can be walled by Skarmory

Defog Trademarks - There is no way to prevent Defog if it's a trademark. However if the opponent does use this, they won't be able to keep their own entry hazards up, so it's not all bad.

Trick - Getting Tricked a Choice item or Assault Vest can be bad depending on who it's used on. Tapu Fini, Muk, and Excadrill won't mind too much. Cofagrigus can deal with it. It's Skarmory and Chansey that will be affected the most.

Now that Substitute is gone, I might replace Excadrill with Reflect Starmie since stopping Defog means screens also get to stay up. But with Gen 8 around the corner, who knows what new and useful status moves there will be.

This is entire month overdue lol, but I have edited the vr to show that substitute has been banned. Mons who had it as an option have sub crossed out to show part of reason for its current placement as I cant say where they would be on vr now in a sub less meta, though those who only had it as an option for the most part were still potent with other sets. Those who were up basically only on sub (conk and buzzwole) were sent to unranked until it can be seen if they still have a place in a subless meta. If u feel any placements should be edited feel free state so and why you feel soemthing should rise or fall or may be able to comfortably run a different set (something of that nature may be better saved whenever we may have trademarked as a ladder again which I hope is before gen 8 comes around). Nonetheless thanks for the support once again of the meta last month and I hope we can take a better step with the meta moving forward and welcome a less toxic meta when the time comes. Thanks all and have a Blessed day ;).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)