ORAS Doubles OU Trick Room Offense.

raf

quite alright
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello everyone! Welcome to my first ever post on these forums. I've been in love with doubles ever since i started with Fire Red and its been a fun ride. Started playing competitive only at the start of this year and its been awesome! Messing around with some teams and one day I learned about Trick Room teams, and i got inspired. Basically this team is centered around Mega Camerupt and Kingler, which i will be explaining about soon.

Kingler @ Life Orb
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Crabhammer
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 220 HP / 36 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 116 SpA
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Drain Punch
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 SpD
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Team Building Process:

Kingler @ Life Orb
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Crabhammer
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Now you all may be wondering... why the hell did I choose Kingler when most people would be thinking about crawdunt with its fantastic ability, Adaptability. Well, I have a friend who had been laddering in OU with kingler and it inspired me to make this team. I made a separate variant with Crawdunt but it didn't seem to be working very good. While TR is up, Kingler hits really hard, with its STAB Crabhammer it OHKos quite a lot, including Landorus which is quite a pain, hyper cutter is a bonus, considering how common Intimidate is in the metagame. Superpower takes care of Mega Kanga and other pokemon weak to it, while Rock Slide gives some spread damage, OHKOing Charizard-Y easily. Life Orb gives it more power, while Protect gives it a turn for Cress to set up TR.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 220 HP / 36 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Camerupt is just too awesome for words... Under TR, the team doesnt need to worry about Amoonguss and its Spore. Heat Wave spread STAB packs quite a punch. Earth Power is for Rock, Steel types, as well as wide guard users like aegislash. I originally had Ancient Power but i changed it to rock slide for spread damage, taking care of Mega Charizard-Y and Talonflame, while giving it some investment in attack.

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles/Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
Cresselia... By far, the best TR setter in the meta. Safety Goggles takes care of spore and rage powder by Amoonguss, but mental herb can be used if you really want to set that Trick Room up. Psyshock for the fighting and poison types, like Amoonguss and terrakion, Keldeo. Calm Mind to give it that extra bulk needed to tank hits, and moonlight for staying in the battle longer. Need i say more?

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield
After using it in doubles, Aegislash has become one of my favourite pokemon to use in any tier. Excellent defenses which convert to devastating offense while using an attacking move. Weakness Policy is just awesome. Get hit by a super effective move in shield mode, No problem! Just hit'em back with a powered up shadow ball or flash cannon (both STAB Moves). Wide guard for the spread moves like Heat Wave and Earthquake and King Shield for switching from Sword to Shield mode.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 116 SpA
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Drain Punch
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
I needed another TR setter, one that could also pack a punch, luckily at that time, Hoopa and its Unbound form got released. With its high Attack and Special Attack, Hoopa-Unbound was a great addition to the team. Life Orb makes it hit harder than ever and the EV investment makes it live quite a few neutral effective attacks. Hyperspace Fury nearly OHKOs every Pokemon that its neutral/super effective against and drain punch is good against Mega Kanga with the bonus Hp Drained. Hyperspace Hole is great against pokemon with high defense and again, Amoonguss and Gengar.

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 SpD
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Protect
The last Pokemon. Landorus-Therian because intimidate is a must. The EV investment and item seem pretty weird to most but they make it survive ice beams, hidden power ice from thundurus and the occasional icy wind. Earthquake for the usual spread STAB and U-Turn for returning for another round of Intimidate and also weakening Cresselia and OHKOing Hoopa-Unbound. Rock Slide gets rid of flying and fire types like Thundurus, Charizard and Talonflame. Protect is there to get to know the opponents moves.

I reached top 100 in dou ladder before reset, but i guess that aint much. XD

Thats all folks and a big shoutout to Silverwhiteblue for helping me so much in DOU!

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
some suggestions:

Hoopa might want protect. I would suggest it, idk if you wanna try it or not
Landot on this team is kind of weird. You only have 1 eq immunity and you already have ground coverage, along with lots of eq weaks
Not quite sure what the atk evs on camerupt benchmark... if you don't have enough power on your rock slide you might want to just use ancient power. Other options for the slot include fire blast and sub
I don't know about Aegislash on trick room. It furthers your weakness to strong dark attackers and stacks weaknesses with many of the trick room setters. It's an interesting option but i don't know how well it fits
Also that aegis set is kinda weird... 100% investment in defenses with no SpA investment is janky

And this team seems like it would have a lot of trouble against some offense teams after the first set or even during the first set, as it has no priority attackers and it doesn't have fake out, so it can't apply pressure while tr is down.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
Hoopa-U really does need Protect. Its very, very fragile and can't afford to not have it. Protect is super important in Doubles and almost every mon in the game should be running it. Speaking of Hoopa being really frail, I think you should be running a simpler 252 /252 spread, since investing in bulk really isn't going to help Hoopa live anything. Drain Punch is also an interesting choice for coverage, but its not really dealing any more damage to any threat than the Hyperspaces do. Because of this, I'm going to recommend that you change Trick Room to Protect, and Drain Punch to Gunk Shot, since your team looks kind of weak to Sylveon. So your new set will look like this:
Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Gunk Shot
- Protect

I don't think Landorus-T is a good fit for this team because of the reasons stated by check. You only have 1 Earthquake immunity, already have ground coverage, and a lot of Earthquake weak teammates. Having Lando also leaves your team really vulnerable to Amoonguss, Azumarill, and Sylveon, three of the most common Trick Room counters on non-Trick Room teams. I'm going to recommend replacing Lando with Ferrothorn. It walls Amoonguss, and beats Azu and Sylveon. It also gives you a nice Fire / Water / Grass core, which gives you good defensive synergy, something very important on Trick Room. Here's a good set you can use:
Ferrothorn @ Lum Berry / Rocky Helment
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Lastly, and I know you're not going to like hearing this, but since you need at least two Trick Room setters on Full Trick Room, I'm going to suggest replacing Kingler with Jellicent. Kingler is a neat idea, and I commend you for being creative and trying something outside of the box. But this team is here in this thread to help it become more competitivly viable, and Kingler is simply not very viable in Doubles. Your team doesn't have a need for Rock coverage since Camel has it, and Jelli provides the same Water coverage. I understand if you don't want to implement this one, but Jellicent would be a far better fit. Here's a set if you want it:
Jellicent @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald / Water Spout
- Will-O-Wisp / Recover
- Trick Room
- Protect

That's all I got so far. Message me if you have any questions, and good luck with your team ^_^

Thanks for the shoutout ! Regarding the team, pastel and check basically said most of what i have, and I support Pastel 's changes a lot, but u can keep kingler.

-I'd also put knock off>rock slide on kingler, just because jellicent and ghost types might bother kingler, and knock off is just a move thats generally useful, and i suppose crabhammer can hit most of what rock slide can.

-If camepurt ohkos charizard and talonflame, I'll also have to agree that 38 atk EVS would be a waste, since those are the main targets for this move, maybe volca. maybe the 38 atk help vs bulky variants of charizard?

-I think psychic>psyshock on cresselia would be better, as you dont struggle with amongus provided you have goggles, and psychic helps vs kyurem-black, especially its subs, which otherwise I see your team struggling against without TR. You also still mostly hit what psyshock does about just as hard

-I defintly agree with checkmater's comment about aegi's EVs needing to be offensive, but overall aegi on trick room isnt the best option. it can work, but It'll add to your already huge hydreigon and dark weakness. so maybe ferrothorn>aegislash . A TR Setter in this slot can also work, but you'd be sylveon food

-I dont have much to say about hoopa other than what Pastel did, she covered that really well, And i'd recommend the set she gave

-I'd put AV scrafty>lando-t , becuz it basicly patches up 3/4 of This team's weaknesses. It keeps intimidate which you really want, it gives you fake out support for TR setting opportunities, its fighting type beats heatran, hydreigon, steel types, which all mostly trouble your team.

Threatlist includes : heatran , hydreigon , rotom wash and generally pokemon with these types.
You definitly would need a second TR setter so I'd work on that. Gl!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)