XY Ubers Trick Room (Sol)rocks ! (peaked #1, 1805)

upload_2014-10-1_16-53-32.jpeg

Hello everyone! Here is my second RMT, an Ubers team ! This team is a very successful trick room offense team: I peaked the number 1 place in Ubers ladder with a score of 1805. I created this team since Mega-Mawile was ban from OU (yes, I used it in my OU teams). So I had the idea to use it in Ubers, and I'm thinking: Well let's use Mega-Mawile, and other OP and slow pokemon, and support them with Trick Room, and let's see!

Here is my team building:

I started with Mega-Mawile, my favourite Mega. It has simply the best unboosted attack in the tier, also great offensive moves and a nice defensive typing. But slow speed !

Now I choose Kyogre as my main Special Attacker. Of course, a Specs one! The idea is to put this monster under Trick Room with his low base speed, when compared to the main others mons in Ubers. Also Drizzle is nice to help Mawile taking some fire moves.

Ferrothorn is my 3rd offensive pokemon (no! that's not a joke!) who is also able to take Zekrom hits and Xerneas under Kyogre's Rain (except Focus Blast). A Swords Dance set! A nice idea from the Ubers room so I decided to try that. +2 Stab Gyro Ball with 150 base power under Trick Room, deal with it ;)

Now let's choose the Trick Room users. I needed one Offensive Dragon who has access to Trick Room. So I had the choice between Palkia and Dialga. I finally decided to take Dialga on my team, because I like his defensive typing making him a good Trick Room user: it's not Fairy neither Dragon weak.

upload_2014-10-1_17-23-18.jpeg

Ouch, 3 Steel Pokemon... I'm fight weak. So I need a Ghost type. I don't hesitate: my choice was Arceus-Ghost. My favourite version of Arceus in this gen with its great ability to counter Mega-Kangaskhan, MMX and such. And Arceus has also access to Trick Room!

upload_2014-10-1_17-30-31.jpeg
upload_2014-10-1_17-30-54.jpeg

Ladies and Gentlemen, here it is, the last pokemon in my team! SOLROCK! But why a pokemon from the PU tier you will ask me? Simple answer, I needed a good lead with access to Stealth Rocks and Trick Room. Furthermore, it has the great ability to check Ho-Oh thanks to its typing and Levitate, something that Deoxys-D cannot. So Solrock can setup again on Ho-Oh. He's even better than Diancie with Levitate and access to Magic Coat!
So it's for me the best choice as a Trick Room lead. It's the star of my team! Uh no, the sun. Oops.

Now let's see in details the team:

Hey Groudon (Solrock) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Here is the lead Solrock! The strategy is simple: set up Trick Room and Stealth Rocks then go boom with Explosion to let place safely a sweeper for the next turn.
Magic Coat is useful here to bounce back non-damaging moves such as Taunt, hazards or Spore.
This Solrock is able to setup on a lot of Ubers pokemon. Here are some examples:

Against hazards lead such as Deoxys-S, Smeargle: use Magic Coat until Taunt or Spore is bounced back, wait until switch, then setup Rocks. You have the choice to keep the sashed Solrock for later, or setup Trick Room.

Against offensive mons such as Scarf Kyogre: take the hit with the focus sash then Trick Room. Outspeed the opponent with Stealth Rocks and let Solrock die. If he's not and sashed break, use Explosion.

Of course, Solrock has got some counters. He will have some problem against Darkrai (50-50 game), Taunt Yveltal, Taunt Mega-Gengar and Taunt Knock Off Deoxys-A. It's better to lead with something else against these pokemon (Kyogre against Darkrai, Arceus against Mega-Gengar and Deo-A, Mawile against Yveltal)

JeezTheJaws (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang -> Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Mega-Mawile is an absolute monster under Trick Room! He outspeeds pretty much everything and punch holes in a lot of Ubers pokemon with its monstrous attack boosted by Huge Power. Play Rough is his Stab of choice, OHKOing Dragons, Dark types and most versions of Xerneas (thanks Fairy Aura). Also it hits for neutral (and huge!) damage a lot of stuff like Kyogre and Mewtwo. Fire Fang is here to not be blocked by Mega-Scizor, Foretress and Ferrothorn. Stone Edge smashes incoming Ho-Oh and OHKO Heatran after a Swords Dance. This move also hits Scizor and Foretress for neutral damage. Sucker Punch is a nice and very powerful priority especially when Trick Room is gone and if Mawile set up an SD. It's also nice against Aegislash. Finally, Swords Dance permits to raise Mawile's attack to sky-high levels if needed, if Mawile is burned or Intimidated, or to pass through Stall teams, Groudon...

Plouf (Kyogre) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Sleep Talk

The very known and terrible SpecsOgre! One of the biggest threat in Ubers, this time under Trick Room! His speed reaches 166 so He can outspeed a very large number of pokemon under Trick Room. Correctly placed, Kyogre is able to wreck even His main counters with a full life Specs Water Spout: Non Assault Vest Palkia after Rocks, Arceus Water, Arceus Grass and Giratina are 2HKO and cannot outspeed Kyogre! Surf is used if Kyogre lost a certain amount of HP. Thunder to hit harder Water pokemon, mainly Palkia harder than Surf. I decided to remove Ice Beam to make Kyogre a Sleep Absorber with Sleep Talk, otherwise Darkrai would be annoying. I don't have a lot of problem with Arceus-Grass since I have Dialga and Ferrothorn on my team. Plouf is the French name of the noise "splash". Oh well, curse you Gastrodon.

GOD (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers (Or Lum Berry)
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Haha!! Swords Dance Ferrothorn! This poke is really powerful, no only resistant. Ferrothorn outspeeds everything under Trick Room. His attack reaches 630 after a Swords Dance, making him a really nuke with his Stab Gyroball, most of the time at 225 base power with the Stab! He can OHKO a lot of stuff like offensive Arceus after a Swords Dance, making him a very good EKiller Arceus counter. An unboosted Gyroball has enough power to OHKO Mega-Gengar and GeoXerneas. Power Whip hits water types super effectively, Palkia, and also Ground pokemon like Groudon. Knock Off is a coverage move to hit Aegislash and other steels. A +2 Knock Off also permits Ferro to OHKO offensive Ho-Oh after Stealth Rocks damage!
His name is GOD because he saved me in a match against a BP team. So honour to Him.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-168950368

Dialgg (Dialga) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Fire Blast

Offensive Trick Room sweeper. Maybe you already use it? Simple, you setup Trick Room, then you hit with a Life Orb boosted 438 Special Attack and with the Dragon/Fire/Electric coverage.
Stab Draco Meteor hits like a truck, but results a special attack drop. Don't let the opponent setup because of the drop, especially if Trick Room stops the next turn (GeoXern for example). Fire Blast hits Steel type pokemon, and is better to use when the rain is stopped. Thunder gives a good coverage along with Dragon and permits Dialga to hit Ho-Oh and Kyogre, and is nice to spam under Rain. Nothing to say much, the maximum HP permits to take hits better and setup Trick Room easier.

Hi MegaBrellow (Arceus-Ghost) @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick Room
- Perish Song
- Judgment
- Recover

Arceus-Ghost is the fastest pokemon in the team and is my Mega-Khanga check. He provides specific utility in my team. I use it to revenge kill some pokemon with Judgment if Trick Room stopped. But not only! I use also Trick Room on it while forcing a switch. How to do? The move Perish Song. This move is great. It forces the opponent to switch after 3 turns or his pokemon will be KO. This move help me to place Trick Room by hindering the opponent and avoid some delicate situations (Opponent's CM Arceus, E-Killer, and....... Baton Pass teams !). I can also let Arceus be KO after setup Trick Room due to perish song, and bring safely a sweeper. Also this move can destroy the last pokemon of the opponent's team. Well, you could see some replays that prove the efficiency of this (very) original set!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-169103469
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-169100296
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-168956505
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-169077253

Bonus ! the team against BP : http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-168962865

My main counters are:

-Substitute Ho-Oh, who avoids Solrock's Explosion. So Stone Edge might be an option for Solrock, but instead of which move?
-Specs Kyogre
-Defensive Arceus Grass and Arceus Water with Will-O-Wisp
-Gastrodon. Rare but counters Kyogre, can outspeed my sweepers, and burn my Ferrothorn on the switch
-Focus Blast Geoxern if Trick Room isn't up
-> LO Yveltal if Mawile is not mega evolved

Thank you to everyone to read my RMT and also the players who compliment my team ! I hope this original team will please you! Now Rate My Team!

Attachments

Last edited:
Pastebin:

Hey Groudon (Solrock) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

GOD (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

JeezTheJaws (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Plouf (Kyogre) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
Quiet Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Sleep Talk

Dialgg (Dialga) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Fire Blast

Hi MegaBrellow (Arceus-Ghost) @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick Room
- Perish Song
- Judgment
- Recover

Last edited:
Hey Antacool, that's a really good and original team you got there and kudos for making Solrock work in Ubers!

Out of curiosity, did you use Diancie before Solrock because I think I battled this team only with Diancie instead of Solrock once, ironically when I was using a TR team myself.
I also really like the Ghostceus set, I think this is something I have to try out myself at some point.

I couldn't make out any weaknesses besides the ones you already mentioned on your threat list, so I think I'll leave the detailed rating to the more experienced raters.
However I do have one suggestion which might be worth a try and that is replacing either Fire Fang or Swords Dance on MegaMawile with Rock Slide or Stone Edge, which could really help you out against opposing Ho-Oh, especially the Sub variants you seem to have trouble with. The reason I think this should work out is that Ho-Oh, especially Sub-varaints, might very well attempt to switch in on MegaMawile, feeling pretty safe due to resisting Mawile's Stabs as well as the main coverage moves it used in OU (Focus Punch and Fire Fang) and being able to Sub on a expected Sucker Punch or switch fearing the super-effective Sacred Fire. But with Rock Slide or Stone Edge Mawile can just flat out kill Ho-Oh on the switch or during TR and Stone Edge even kills 100% of the time when Mawile is burned. I've been using it on MegaMawile myself and it worked out pretty well for me but if it is worth loosing important coverage against Steel types by giving up Fire Fang or wallbreaking prowess by giving up on Swords Dance is up to you.

Hope it helped and good luck!

Hi Flexxen, thank you for your response and your suggests!

I already used Diancie as a lead (I use him a moment after Solrock to deal better against Yveltal and Deoxys-A) but as I mentionned in my RMT, the problems are that Diancie doesn't have access to Magic Coat, so he must run a mental herb to deal against common Taunters and then cannot carry a Focus Sash for Kyogre, or other sweepers like that. Also he doesn't have Levitate so I can add pokemon with Earthquake as threats like Groudon and also Banded Ho-Oh, 2 pokemon that Solrock doesn't fear at all! Finally, all Sleep Inducers beat Diancie. These three main arguments make me prefer Solrock as a lead ^^

Stone Edge Mawile is a very nice idea, I could remove Fire Fang instead but opposing Ferrothorn would be a bit annoying then, since only Dialga can one shot him (Ok I have also my own SD Ferrothorn with Knock Off for it, but hello the Spikes). If I remove SD I can't beat stuff like Defensive Grass Arceus 1-in-1 with it. And SD is very cool when pair with Sucker Punch. I will remove Fire Fang for Stone Edge and I will try...

Last edited:

CCC

Banned deucer.
Hi, Antacool. Good solid team.

It is very original, out of the ordinary. I congratulate you for it. I like the idea of giving Solrock use in Ubers. Especially with Magic Coat motion in the set. Thus you prevent you using some state problem, and the opponent gets hurt. At first glance I see some possible change very little, you have everything well covered. You could mention to put Stone Edge Dialga and Ho-oh does not give you problems, so keep to Mawile-Mega with SD in their set. Open holes easier pasting stronger once fallen Ho-oh with that wow factor. Another thing that stands out is the Specs Kyogre with Sleep Talk, so you catch the annoying Darkrai Dark Void and then wham! What you throw out giving good damage. Defog not have something on the computer, but that is not necessary in Trick Room, as you aid the Stealth Rocks and strong attacking first with slower pokes. Arceus-Ghost with Perish Song is a good choice to stop threats that attempt to increase any statistics; attack, special attack, etc.

Hi CCC! thank you for your response!

I tried Stone Edge Dialga instead of Thunder, and after several matches I noticed that Ho-Oh still prefers to come on Mega-Mawile (or Ferrothorn). So I may lose a way to hit Kyogre with Dialga, and Thunder still does a good chunk to Ho-Oh anyway.

With experience, with this team:
The common Defog Will-O-Wisp Arceus Grass (or Water) + Ho-Oh duo is still pretty hard to play against :[
Also my team posseses a lot of non 100% accuracy moves (Draco M, Fire Blast, Power Whip, Play Rough, Thunder, Fire Fang + an eventual Stone Edge), more than once I got a miss in a crucial moment.

Also Will-O-Wispers in general are quite annoying (with the burn, Kyogre loses Spout power, and Dialga got HUGE recoil with the LO, 22% each turn :/) at a point I'm thinking of using Support Arceus Fire instead Ghost. The originality would go to far, I may become the only one on the ladder to use a Perish Song Trick Room Arceus-Fire ^^' no I'm joking, but He can absorb Wisp and deal a bit better with Sub Ho-Oh thanks to Perish, hit Grassy super effectively and setup Trick Room on Focus Blast Xern. Plus another way to KO opposing Ferrothorn so I could run Stone Edge Mawile instead Fire Fang! And Mega Kangaskhan, I may still deal with it with Ferrothorn, and even Solrock if no Crunch. Solrock for Mega Mewtwo X I guess.

Finally, why not try a slow Guts pokemon? Conkeldurr? or even Heracross?

I want to keep Mawile and SD Ferrothorn, these are beasts.

Any opinions?

And WOW, 20 likes! I appreciate that, thank you everyone! =D

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Antacool,

Not many comments here; it's a really cool team. This will probably be a bit shorter than normal. From a standpoint of weaknesses, you seem to know what you are weak to, so I won't reiterate them too much. I also feel like Yveltal has potential to be very dangerous to this team as well, wearing down Mawile and pretty much annoying everything else with taunt and strong STABs. I'm not sure about Fireceus, I don't really think it's that great here but you are welcome to try.

Many people have suggested a rock move on Mawile, and I concur. Specs Kyogre is pretty effective at drawing in a Ferrothorn and smashing it, while Dialga also beats it, your own Ferrothorn sets up on it, and so on. One mon I feel like would be really cool for this team would be Gothitelle, because it would definitely help break those Ho-Oh+Defog Arceus cores, as well as providing TR or Heal Bell support. However, fitting it is really tricky. Maybe over SpecsOgre but you miss out on a lot. I guess one smaller solution would be something like CM Ghostceus which would allow you to punish defoggers pretty nicely.

Anyways, Good luck!

Hi Haxiom !

Thank you for your response. TR Gothitelle? That's a very cool suggest! It would be a good pokemon for my team to remove those pesky defogers. But you're right, instead of which pokemon? That is the question. I really can't say which one. SpecsOgre provides great power and Rain for my steels to take HP Fire Xern, absorbs Dark Void... so no, I can't imagine to replace it. Dialga maybe?
Goth seems also to deal nicely with other Calm Minders with Psyshock. So I can change my support Arceus set to a more offensive one (CM over Perish or even Stone Edge). Ouch, Goth can't really do anything to BP evasion teams however. And also, my team would become pretty weak to Dark and especially Ghost :/
Arceus Fire? I tried it and No. Bad idea. Stealth Rock weak, Earthquake weak, and can't hit Giratina who burns the other mons. I keep Ghosty. Burn is OP.
You're right about Yveltal who is dangerous for my team even with Mawile. It can be a threat with His big power and Taunt on Trick Room users. However, Dialga and Kyogre take one hit easily and KO back, Ferrothorn also if SR up. Added as a threat still.

Welp, my only change for the team is Stone Edge over Fire Fang for Mega-Mawile. It can destroy Arceus and Ho-Oh core if Trick Room is up anyway.
Maybe a last change would be a Lum Berry instead of Lefties for Ferrothorn to surprise Grassy and lure Rocky Helmet.

My definitive team ?

Last edited:
Solrock has been (And still Is) my fav poke, so when I saw this team, I thought it was made for me lol

Anyway, for those of you still confused why solrock is on this team, take a look at this replay I just battled 5 minutes ago:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-171204912

NOTE: I didn't actually need to use SR, but I would have used it after trick room.

This replay is probably one of my fav:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-171386572

I was facing some of my best counters, especially Sub Ho-Oh, Defog Ghosty and AV kia.
The Stone Edge Mawile made me win! (and somewhat a lucky Arceus speed tie) So, Flexxen, Haxiom, thank you again for this great suggest!
My team is awesome :D

And Lum Berry Ferrothorn is quite cool:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-171334734

The choice between Lefties for longevity or Lum Berry for situations like that is up to you, if you steal my team ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)