Triple Threat

Overview
Yo, Afro Smash here (aka that PO rando what plays BW RU sometimes) bringing you a, if I do say so myself, fairly crisp XY RU team. Basic structure of the team is, Qwilfish/Rhyperior/Abomasnow as a defensive core that lay down hazards, then Zoroark/Mismagius/Hitmonlee as sweepers. I've only peaked like 1400 so far but, in the hands of a good player could definitely peak at least #10. Anyway lets hop right in to the analysis.

In-Depth

Prime (Rhyperior) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Rhyperior's role on this team is pretty simple, lay down Rocks and be fat, both of which is does to great effect. Max Sp Def combined with Solid Rock and Rhyperior's naturally immense Phys Def makes it really hard to break from either side of the spectrum, with the Special Defense being especially useful for eating up stray Hidden Powers from Electric types and Boombursts from Exploud. I've always preferred Protect > Roar/D-Tail on Rhyperior because I find the scouting immensely useful, and on this team in particular it can be great for stalling things out with Hail and Toxic Spikes. Standard Edge-Quake STAB coverage, with Rock Blast > Stone Edge for Froslass and Substitute mons.

Wiggle (Qwilfish) (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes/Taunt
- Scald
- Poison Jab/Taunt

Qwilfish I have found to be absolutely fantastic in this current meta for many reasons. First of all his typing + Intimidate make him a great Check to some of the top Physical threats in RU such as Hitmonlee, Doublade, Durant and Emboar. He also has access to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which can quickly leave the opponent worn down and open to be cleaned up by any of the offensive core. Scald's main purpose is basically to land a Burn on Doublade, which would otherwise easily set up on Qwilfish, but spreading Burns to anything can be useful, especially if they're immune to T-Spikes. Poison Jab goes in the final slot to 2HKO most Fairies and land big hits on Grass types like Rotom-C that think they can come in for free. Taunt can be used over either Toxic Spikes or Poison Jab as a way to, amongst other things, block Defog from the likes of Gligar + prevent Shuckle leads from getting down both Web + Rocks, however I've found that just the fear of Taunt will prevent most Gligars from coming in and trying to Defog.

Frostree (Abomasnow) (M) @ Abomasite
Trait: Soundproof > Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Blizzard

Mega Abomasnow is incredible in almost every aspect, it looks tank as fuck, has massive attacking stats, great defences, and its coverage makes it virtually unwallable. Ice Shard gives you priority to somewhat mitigate Abomasnow's incredibly low Speed, and can be good for revenge killing things like Braviary and Yanmega or getting one final hit off before going down. Giga Drain is your Grass STAB of choice and is key for staying healthy throughout a match, allowing you to continually tank hits. Earthquake is the coverage move of choice, landing SE hits on Cobalion, Delphox and Emboar, all of which tend to switch in on Abomasnow. Blizzard goes in the final slot to give you a powerful Ice STAB which rounds off Abomasnow's amazing coverage. EVs are pretty standard, though you can change the nature to Mild to ensure you at least Speed tie with Slowking, Amoonguss and Cofagrigus. Oh and I'm Soundproof before the Mega so that I can switch in on Specs Boombursts and Bug Buzz's.

Maggy (Mismagius) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Destiny Bond
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

Now for the first of the offensive core, Mismagius' role on this team is primarily to Spin-block, but it also performs fantastically as both a sweeper and revenge killer. Mismagius' base 105 Speed and perfect coverage with Shadow Ball + Dazzling Gleam means it can be incredibly hard to take on after a Nasty Plot boost. However if you don't have the chance to boost up, want to avoid a Sucker Punch or just need to get rid of a key threat such as Escavalier or AV Slowking then you can sacrifice yourself with Destiny Bond to bring them down with you.

Surprise! (Zoroark) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Illusion
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Pursuit/Grass Knot
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Flamethrower

Zoroark in and of itself is a pretty great pokemon, but being able to disguise itself as either Hitmonlee or Mismagius really makes the most of Zoroark's Illusion ability, especially since all 3 are LO and it shares Knock Off with Hitmonlee. Knock Off is Zoroark's strongest STAB attack and can be spammed early game to quickly remove items from the opponent. Sucker Punch is surprisingly strong and is great for revenge killing Scarfers and faster mons like Cincinno or Yanmega. Flamethrower is your strongest attack vs things like Mega Snow and Tangrowth which can tank Knock Offs, OHKOing and 2HKOing respectively. In the final slot I would highly recommend Pursuit, since it is the most efficient way of dealing with Delphox/AV Slowking, which are massive threats to this team being able to OHKO every member of the defensive core. If you have godly predicting skills then you can run Grass Knot instead to bop Rhyperiors and Swamperts.

KicKing (Hitmonlee) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick

Final member of the offensive core is that standard dot Spinmonlee. Hitmonlee's probably the best Spinner in the tier since its Knock Off is so threatening to Ghost types, and Spinning is key for this team for removing Web for the offensive core and Rocks for Abomasnow. High Jump Kick hits like a nuke combined with Reckless and a Life Orb, 2HKO'ing pretty much everything that isn't fat and resists. Finally Mach Punch is useful for revenging things like Sharpedo, Cobalion, Zoroark and Cincinno.

Threats:
CM Delphox
TR Aromatisse :]
Sub SD Cobalion
RP Rhyperior
AV Slowking
HC Durant + SD Viri if I lose Qwilfish

Shoutouts:
@Me for makin the team
@Spinnerman for keepin kids off drugs
@Forn for gettin new teeth
mencemeat for puttin up Showdown lives with such ass teams I felt obliged to help out
Wepwn cuz he asked..
Soulgazer for remaining a true fren beyond SPL
New Breed for diggin up replays that should of never been seen
Sinclair for eatin the booty
@Skype buddies in general for gettin me interested in the tier

Importable:
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Poison Jab

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Atk
Quiet Nature
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Blizzard

Mismagius @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Destiny Bond
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SAtk / 252 Atk
Naive Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Flamethrower

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick

Last edited:
You could probably try testing Doublade over Mismagius simply because it's much better at spinblocking and your team is set around setting up entry hazards consistently, while also still being able to sweep. However, it really misses out on that Speed, so it's more of something that works better in some cases but not something better, so it really depends on how you feel at the time.

Yeah, very nice team.

o great another brit playin this tier.. just what we need. cm delphox indeed shits on you so you defs need pursuit on zoroark, you could also consider runnin 48 spe on m aboma for min speed amoonguss which does work to your team and can usually outspeed and do massive dmg to mabom. other than that team looks pretty solid idk if someone good could reach top 10 tho as the ladder is really good and i sense an aqua jet alomomola weakness so rip.

also thx for the shoutout big dog!!

TRC Doublade is a much more reliable Spin-blocker than Mismagius, and he would giv me another great Chek to Durant/Viri/Cobalion, however the main reason I wouldn't wanna make the change is that I'd become completely reliant on Mega Snow to take down Alomomola since nothing else can deal enough dmg to it, and Hitmonlee has to play around Protect. Appreciate the rate regardless.

New Breed Whats wrong with a lil britbong :] Yh tbh I only faced one Delphox and although it didn't do anything that match, it made me realise how weak I was to it so I swapped Grass Knot out for Pursuit, and it basically always works cuz they always switch knowing that im either Mismagius or Zoro disguised as any other mon. And yh I'll test it a bit more, but I'd just change Quiet > Mild if Amoonguss was an issue. And oh fuck, AJ Alomomola, how did I forget to account for this threat!? Guess it's time to scrap the team.

The opposing Alomomola used Aqua Jet!
It's not very effective... Frostree lost 4.2% of its health!

Frostree fainted!

..You were right..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)