ORAS OU Try #2: A New Look At This

Karmaloop3

formerly Jim Bailey
Last thread got locked up, so let's try this again. I used to play semi-competitively, but then fell out of it a while back and want to get back into this.

For those that are interested in how I got my team together.

Jolteon @
Ability: Quick Feet
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 HP, 4 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Light Screen

Honestly, I'd like to replace him with more of an anti-lead. Ideally, I'd have someone who has high speed, decent bulk, and access to both Taunt as well as a status infliction (preferably burn or paralysis). Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is one that doesn't cause a ton of more issues with my team, so unfortunately the Speed/ThunderWave is what I'm going with right now. Shadow Ball helps get Claydol that might come in and give it some way to defend Ground types.

Skarmory Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP, 262 Def, 4 SpD
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Roost

I know someone's going to chastise me for not giving Skarmory an attacking move, but I view Whirlwind as an indirect attacking move. I understand that priority makes it go last, but let's be honest Skarmory isn't going to be outspeeding much of anything. Another issue with this set is that Taunt absolutely stalls the crap out of this set. Still, a chance to lay Spikes+Stealth Rock and then use Whirlwind to inflict damage is tempting. On a neutral type Pokemon, one layer of Spikes plus Stealth Rocks is going to take 25% of the opposing Pokemon's HP. In comparison, Skarmory with Brave Bird is going to 3HKO a Blissey more often than not.

Sylveon Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 240 Def, 16 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

I need a Fairy type for obvious reasons, and Sylveon has been getting some early burn. Hyper Voice gets a nice little boost with Pixiltate to defend itself, but the real beauty is the ability to Baton Pass into a special sweeper. Calm Mind+Substitute with Baton Pass is going to set up some Pokemon extremely nicely. That Pokemon is...

Starmie Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Starmie is a near ideal BP to switch into, especially if the Substitute is there when Sylveon passes it off to Starmie. Starmie lacks the bulk, but the high speed and special attack makes it a good special sweeper and it's movepool gives it excellent coverage. Hydro Pump is a HUGE STAB attack, and after a single Calm Mind it's a guaranteed 4HKO against Blissey. A second Calm Mind drops it to a 3HKO with Hydro Pump. I went with Ice Beam/Psychic to help out my team's weakness to Ground and Fighting.

Claydol Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP, 128 Def, 128 SpD
- Rapid Spin
- Cosmic Power
- Explosion
- Toxic

Obvious team needs a Rapid Spinner, and wasting it on Starmie seems like a bad idea. Again, not a ton of pack with this punch but it's meant to take some hits and fill more of a utility role. Again, not in love with him on my team but I do like the idea of using him in that utility/stall role where Cosmic Power+Toxic are going to annoy the heck out of someone. When things are starting to get gloomy, boom goes the dynamite and probably going to take someone down with him.

Mega Charizard-X Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 HP
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz

The heart and soul of my team. Charizard was my favorite starter ever, and so he was a must on my team. DD puts him on the offensive after a round or two, and Dragon Claw and Flare Blitz give him two good STAB moves. Roost to regain some health.

Thoughts? I'd really like to replace Jolteon, but no real good Taunt+Status Inflicter with good speed and solid bulk.

You mentioned you wanted a fast, bulky status inflicter to replace Jolteon. Klefki instantly comes to mind, usually going first because of Prankster, as well as being bulky with a ridiculously good typing. I would recommend a set like this:
Klefki Set:
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Foul Play

This set also provides Spikes, freeing up a moveslot on Skarmory for something like Defog, Iron Head, or Brave Bird. I would recommend Iron Head to deal with Diancie and other fairies.

Claydol isn't the best choice in most scenarios, and with the removal of Jolteon, you lack offensive electric moves. Raikou is the best, as it is fast, decently bulky, and high Special Attack. I would put this over Claydol:
Raikou set:
Raikou @ Choice Specs / Assault Vest
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Shadow Ball

Lastly, Rapid Spin on Starmie could be used since Claydol has been removed. Starmie doesn't get too many opportunities to Recover, and would rather just hit with Analytic on switches. If you want Recover, Defog on Skarm would be necessary. That's all for now, good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)