SM NU Try

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Try - A Yoshizilla315 RMT

Introduction
Hello all, Yoshizilla315 here, back with another RMT! This time, I really wanted to showcase a good team, so that's what I've brought to you all here today. I decided to pick the song "Try" by P!nk because it sums up the past ten and a half months of my Smogon career. Trying to replenish and reconstruct what little I had left after I had gotten tournament banned. Simply getting back up every time I got knocked down, and giving it my all in getting myself a better reputation and becoming a better overall Pokemon player. Now I wholesomely enjoy NU, the community, and giving back to Smogon to make up for what I stole in the integrity of tournaments. I look forward to rejoining the tournaments community again and December and hopefully not get into too much trouble (and to also abide by all ban battles)!

Team Building Process

I started with the idea of Braviary, as I had been really enjoying the offensive Bulk Up set to that point. A lot of people think it isn't as good as it was say a month ago, but I think it is actually much much better, with the usage increasing of Pokemon like Vileplume and the decreased usage of Pokemon like Diancie. There are plenty of ample opportunities to set up, effectively allowing Braviary to do heavy damage to teams early on. With the right support, I knew I could pull off a great team with Braviary, so I really wanted to start here. As someone who isn't so good at team building, I wanted to try new things with this team, and I think I definitely did that effectively whilst supporting Braviary, as you'll see.

First, I decided to add Decidueye. Quziel encouraged me to use it after I explained to him my troubles in team building. He told me I should try new things, and to start by building around Swords Dance Decidueye. From there, I fell in love with this Pokemon again, and started building a ton of teams with it. This also happens to be one of those teams, and while it is not the Swords Dance set as you'll see, it provides Defog support for Braviary and some other Pokemon later on. You could argue that Xatu would work better in this slot, but honestly I like Decidueye on this team because it's a good Water resist and aesthetically fits (lol).

At this point, I realized I needed a Stealth Rock user. Steelix was the first one that came to mind, as in the past I practically spammed Diancie and Seismitoad on every single team for Stealth Rock, and I wanted to try out new rockers that I am unfamiliar with. I have also been using Rhydon, for the record. I thought Steelix would be great because it got some nice support from the other two Pokemon on the team. Both Braviary and Decidueye resist Ground, Decidueye resists Water, and Steelix returns the favor by giving the team an Electric immunity, while not getting OHKOd by Surf Heliolisk. I think another thing that made Steelix stand out to me was its utility, which I'll get more into a bit later.

Now I am looking at this team, and I realize I am incredibly weak to Fire-type attacks. Incineroar and Delphox pretty much sweep through my whole team, so I went with the most obvious resist in Incineroar. Iapapa Berry Incineroar is one of the Pokemon I use the most, and I don't mind spamming it on every team as a builder, since its so splashable and just such a nice Pokemon to have. It does contribute to the already strong Fighting weakness, but I will elaborate more on how I fixed that later. Incineroar can easily pivot in and out, has Knock Off, etc. Just simply regular Incineroar stuff.

To fix my obscene Fighting weakness, I decided to use Golbat. Golbat is 4x resistant to Fighting-type attacks, and while it is susceptible to Knock Off from Fighting-types like Passimian and Hariyama, I honestly haven't found that to be too big of an issue. Golbat also provided some nice defensive utility in general, being able to easily soak hits from a plethora of Pokemon. The set I used is also really cool in that it can act as a stallbreaker, which of course I'll get into later. Incineroar can take the Psychic hits, and Decidueye and Steelix both deal with Electric-type attacks efficiently.

Lastly, I knew I wanted a fast physical breaker, and I sure as hell knew it wasn't going to be Passimian, because that is boring and has singular typing (ew). So instead I went with the mediocrity that is Choice Scarf Medicham, which has actually been working out well for me. Risking Speed ties with Passimian for a cheap kill is really fun. Having Trick is also helpful, which I'll elaborate more on later, as it helps invalidate opposing Slowbros and such. Overall, I feel like this was a great addition to the team, although Passimian could've worked as well.

The Sets

@ Flyinium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Bulk Up
- Roost

First up is Braviary, which the set for me wasn't hard to make at all. It's fairly standard, Flyinium for that powerful STAB Z-Move, Defiant to prevent Defog, and Flying and Fighting-type moves for coverage. Obviously, you want to run Roost so you can recover off any residual damage from Stealth Rock, pivoting, and Brave Bird, and Bulk Up is run to boost up Braviary's power and potentially allow it to take another hit. This set has been serving me great so far, and I wouldn't change it myself, although perhaps Fightinum Z could be run over Flyinium to ease the match up versus Pokemon like Diancie and Steelix.

@ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Long Reach
EVs: 248 HP / 84 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Energy Ball
- Roost
- Defog

Here's Decidueye's set. It's pretty much the standard Defog Roost SpDef set that everyone runs. I run enough Speed for Incineroar, and just throw the rest in Special Defense for some bulk. Iapapa Berry is preferred I feel because Decidueye isn't going to be in long enough to bank up Leftovers, so it is just much easier to have Iapapa and get some health in a pinch. Besides, Roost is good enough recovery as it is. I chose Energy Ball because it is the most that is consistent and powerful but doesn't make you lose Special Attack when you use it. Lastly, there's U-Turn to get some momentum with a slow ish Pokemon. Also, I run Long Reach as to not take damage with U-Turn from the potential Rough Skin Druddigon on the ladder.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 HP / 76 Atk / 176 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Protect

Here's a spread that Finchinator uses that I like. I have no idea what everything but the Speed is for, but the Speed is essentially to creep Slowbros and Slowking that run some Speed, which is smart. Otherwise, I don't have a clue so hopefully Finchinator can give me a hand and let me know. I'd imagine the Special Defense or Attack EVs are crucial for something, so I'm not going to change it. I love Protect on Steelix because it allows you to get Sturdy back after some hazard damage, and I feel like that is very pivotal in a lot of match ups. The other three moves are very standard, so I'm not really going to talk about them.

@ Figy Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 216 SpD / 32 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Hey look another coined spread! This one I have no clue who made it, but I think it was either carcy or Davon. Either way, I've really preferred Incineroar investing in Special Defense way more than Defense, so I've been enjoying using it. The Speed does something that I can't think of off the top of my head, I'm fairly certain it's for something that hits 146 Speed. I am also one of those people who prefers Flare Blitz > Fire Blast on my Iapapa Incineroar. It is more consistent, does more damage to Passimian, and can help when you just quite aren't in range of Iapapa Berry yet. The rest of the moves are the standard.

@ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Toxic
- Taunt

Sorry for all you NASCAR fans out there, but I'm pretty sure this isn't Fast Bat. However, it does run enough Speed for things like Decidueye, which hit 262 Speed. Instead of the horrid Defog set which people seem to love to run, I decided to go with Taunt Toxic, which I've had a lot of fun using. Since Golbat can be fast and bulky, it has been super easy to use, and can help in MUs vs Stealth Rock users that aren't Steelix like Diancie and Rhydon, which catch the Taunt and get Toxicd, while doing only a decent chunk with their Rock-type attacks. Fast Brave Bird is also really cool, and is surprisingly strong if you aren't ready. Of course, Infiltrator is run because you never know what Pokemon are out here running Substitute. Mainly I've found is that it works against SubSeed Whimsicott, but that probably hasn't been used in ages so it isn't really the best example out there I'd imagine.

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Trick

So here's everyone's least favorite Choice Scarf user, Medicham. While most people prefer Life Orb or Choice Band, I think Choice Scarf Medicham is still a great set, thanks to its Speed benchmark and still having high power even without a boosting item. These are just the four moves I've been running, some people might run something else, but I think the only move that isn't mandatory is Thunder Punch. You obviously really want your STABs, and Trick is just so useful for those physically defensive mons that are a pain in Medicham's ass, so really you just have Thunder Punch to change to something else (i.e. Ice Punch or Bullet Punch).

Threat List

1. Stealth Rock: I think Stealth Rock can definitely be a huge issue for this team, especially with the lack of a Xatu. If you're not careful with Decidueye, you can pretty much autolose due to the match up, since three crucial Pokemon are weak to Stealth Rock. I could maybe put Xatu over Decidueye but I'd hate the type balance, and it leaves me very weak to Heliolisk, so I'd rather not go that route. I'd take any other recommendation to be honest.
  2. Fighting-types: While I do technically have three Fighting resists, all of them actually hate Fighting-types anyway. Decidueye, Golbat, and Medicham all strongly dislike Knock Off, Decidueye probably dying depending on the Pokemon, Golbat losing its bulk, and Medicham losing its Speed. Therefore, I have to be really careful, and I end up having to soak Knock Offs with Braviary and Steelix, and it is never fun playing that game when they can easily click Close Combat.

Replays

I do have some that I would like to share that I will add at a later time, but I unfortunately can't as of right now. Will edit in later for sure though.

Importable

https://pokepast.es/de1ccf7656cacc0c

Shout Outs
So here's my probably really cheesy list of shout outs that will probably be only seen by half of them because I am a badgeless loser and only 5 people get alerted :(.

~~Fin~~

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)