SM OU Tsareena is the Ender of Worlds, Hail her as your Queen (Peaked 2000+ #5)

Introduction

After thousands and thousands of Gen7 OU matches on Pokemon Showdown, I finally reached my goal of hitting 2000 SR and would like to share the rain team that I have come up with.

Proof:

Screenshot (189).png

Screenshot (190).png

The Team

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost
Pretty straight forward, Pelipper is going to be my rain setter. Politoad would have been another option but it doesn't have the same coverage that Pelipper has. Most Pelipper sets are usually defensive/defog sets but I chose to run an offensive set to put pressure on bulky grass types. For this team, Pelipper's main role is going to be setting up the rain and hitting grass types hard with hurricane. Scald and Hurricane are there for the stab coverage. U-turn is for pivoting, and roost is to keep it alive if it is under 25%

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
I chose Ferrothorn because it gets a lot of aid from the rain making it's 4x weakness to fire into a 2x. This means it won't be OHKO'd by HP fire. Ferrothorn's main role is going to be my physical wall/hazards setter. Since this team is based around high damage output, I chose the rocky helmet to hurt physical attackers very hard, it also puts alot of pressure on Pokemon that rely on u-turn. Gyroball is going to be it's only attacking move and is going to be aimed at hitting fairy types mostly. Stealth rocks and spikes will help in forcing more defogs and wasted turns.

The Queen @ Leftovers
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Trop Kick
- U-turn
- Rapid Spin
- Aromatherapy
Probably going to be the most interesting pick for this team and also my favorite pick. I chose Tsareena mainly because I hated using defog and removing the hazards I set up, I found it counter-intuitive. The main role for Tsareena is going to be my Special wall/cleric/ pivot/spinner. I love Tsareena on this team because she can offer a lot of support to my team. The rain makes it so her weakness to fire is removed. Trop kick is there to hurt phyiscal attackers on switch in. U-Turn is for pivoting easily. And Aromatherapy is there to prevent my offensive mons from getting status.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Water Shuriken
I chose Ash-Greninja for it's excellent speed and high damage output. Ash-Greninja is going to be my special wallbreaker for this team. The main idea is to use hydro-pump and hit everything very hard. Since hydro pump is rain boosted, you can actually start ignoring type resistances. A rain+ specs boosted hydro pump on a Pokemon that resists by 0.5x actually hits harder than a normal specs dark pulse. Water shuriken is there for priority coverage and hitting the mons that outspeed it (M-Lopunny, M-Manectic, M-Beedrill, and other scarfed mons)

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
I chose Azumarill as it's moves are going to get boosted by rain. Main role for Azumarill is going to be my physical wallbreaker. In an ideal situation, you would want to look for an opening to use belly drum, and start sweeping with aqua jet. Similar to Ash-Greninja, the damage output is going to be so high that it can kill even through resists. I chose Liquidation, as it's going to be the move that I spam on slower physical walls. A +6 rainboosted liquidation will be able to nuke the likes of Ferrothorn and Toxapex and sometimes OHKO them.

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Ferrothorn in Rain: 384-453 (109 - 128.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Liquidation vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex in Rain: 349-411 (115.1 - 135.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I keep play rough on to counter Mega-Sableye and stall. And of course, Aqua jet is there for priority coverage that gets rain boosted.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
I chose M-Swampert to make up for my teams lack of speed, and it's high damage output without needing any setup. Main role for Swampert is going to be my revenge killer. Waterfall and earthquake are there for stab coverage. Ice Punch is there to cover Garchomp and Salamence as well as hurting Tangrowth and Tapu-Bulu on switch ins. Stone edge is going to be here to put damage on Zapdos without making contact to avoid the static ability as well as Kyurem-Black.

Conclusion

I believe this is going to be the ideal rain team in OU. I have done very well with it and managed to get into top 5. I also believe everyone is sleeping on Tsareena and not giving her the attention she deserves. Tsareena is a very good mon with a very good support move-pool. She has very good bulk and can fit on many teams. I hope this RMT brings more attention to her.

Replays

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-826673404
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-826280526
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-826280085
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-825758571

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Tsareena @ Leftovers
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Trop Kick
- U-turn
- Rapid Spin
- Aromatherapy

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Water Shuriken

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Nice team man! Im in love whit this team, i like azumarril in rain team but imo ur team can be check by some teams, actually u can destroy toxapex whit azumarril but u can be in trouble if u cant setup azu and get burn, lele and charizard y are another bigs threat,
Tsareena is soo cool but u only need that to suck and get free switch xd

Last edited:
Hey there, Shortfuzd! This is a really cool team you have here! I really love your creativity with Tsareena and Azumarill on a rain team! However, I feel the main issue here is the fact that this team doesn't take huge advantage of Rapid Spin here, and that you have no consistent way to check Ash-Greninja, a very common Pokemon in the meta game.
Weaknesses
alakazam-mega.gif
Mega Alakazam, while not undefeatable, is a huge problem for your team. It can 2HKO your entire team with Psychic and Focus Blast. This is common for most Rain Teams. Try to keep Mega Swampert and Ferrothorn healthy if you find yourself facing it.
magearna.gif
Magearna is also a big problem for this team if it gets a chance to set up a Shift Gear against Pelipper or Tsareena. Like Mega Alakazam, it can outspend your entire team except for Magearna, it has the potential to OHKO all of your team.

Then there are the usual wall breakers that generally pose a threat to most teams like Kyurem-B and Tyranitar, but you generally have ways to deal with them offensively, so I won't go super in-depth here.

Changes
Ash-Greninja_SM.gif
Ice Beam to Spikes
If you really want to take advantage of Rapid Spin, I would recommend Spikes on Greninja. This allows you to put very heavy pressure on checks like Toxapex, Tangrowth, and Tapu Bulu. It also synergies very well with Swampert, Azumarill, and Tsareena.
ferrothorn.gif
I changed Ferrothorn's set to a Chople Berry set that will allow you to check Alakzam and Magearna and paralyze them with Thunder Wave. I also made it Specially Defensive with Power Whip since Ash-Greninja obliterated the original team.

MSwampert_ORAS.gif
I gave Mega Swampert Stealth Rock as otherwise, you would be left without a Stealth Rock user. Besides, Stone Edge isn't that good on Swampert since Mantine is very uncommon at the moment.
pelipper.gif
Finally, since you wanted Pelipper to pressure Grass-types, I made Pelipper a Choice Specs variant. This allows you to pressure common checks to your Water-types. I also gave it Knock Off so it could lure Chansey for Ash-Greninja.

I hope you found my advice helpful! It was a pleasure to rate this team!

Importable: https://pokepast.es/9323f8886a70e62c

Attachments

Made it to rank 1 with it, gr8 team man, love how well dual grass works, not putting so much pressure on ferro, esspecially bc the helmet helps so much, it's a joy to sac rocky helmet Ferro to a Kartana to put it in range of Gren.
Dual hazards on ferro really help puttin everything in range of plus 6 Azu, even though I think it's embarassing for azu to not be able to kill plus 1 def hawlucha with plus 6 Aqua jet lmao (Lucha's defenetly a big threat to this squad).
Even stall match ups are winnable, ofc playin against Zard y, Shift Gear Mag and psychic spam is painful but I never really felt like the team had an impossible matchup on my ladder run.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)