Other Metagames Turning Thorns (Gen 8 National Dex custom format)

Hey! I've been testing out this team, and it seems rather powerful. I can however see the possibility to work out some tweaks to improve it.

I am playing with a custom format: basically Gen 8 National Dex, however all legendary/mythical Pokémon and ultra beasts are banned, while all other Pokémon (and megas) are allowed. I built the team with dynamax in mind, however the people I'm playing with seem to prefer megas + Z-crystals at the moment, so I've shot myself a bit in the foot, but at the same time I've been doing well with the team as is, and haven't been missing them much.

The team:

Dragapult @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Sucker Punch

Dragapult's main role is to work as a fast and powerful U-turn user to safely switch into my pivots or setup sweepers. It also doubles as a powerful attacker who can clear out weakened teams. Choice Band is used as most non-scarf Pokémon won't outspeed Dragapult. Dragon Darts hits hard STAB and also bypasses Focus Sashes and Sturdy. Phantom Force is another STAB, however the extra turn that lets my opponent switch into a Pokémon that can more easily take the hit makes me not use it as much. Sucker Punch can be used to punish Choice Scarfers or the few faster sweepers that threatens Dragapult.

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald

Toxapex is my physical pivot who can switch into most physical attacks, chip them with damage from Rocky Helmet, then switch out and recover the damage taken. It has access to Haze in order to stop setup sweepers, Toxic Spikes to add additional chip damage, and Scald with the chance to cripple physical attackers even further by applying burn. If the opponent doesn't have any effective answer against Toxapex, Recover can be used to let Toxapex safely stay in and tank while toxic/burn damage stacks up.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn provides entry hazards and is specced with Special Defense in order to take hits from special attackers that Toxapex can't deal with. The combination of Leftovers and Leech Seed gives Ferrothorn good recovery. Stealth Rock and Spikes are used individually or together depending on the situation in order to maximize entry hazard damage. Gyro Ball can be used to punish switch ins, and is used to check Fairy types, which the team otherwise would have to rely on raw power to beat.

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Moonlight

Clefable is one of the team's win conditions. Calm Mind, Bold nature, defensive EVs and Moonlight gives Clefairy great survivability, and if Clefable is allowed to set up multiple Calm Minds, it can start taking big knock outs. Magic Guard is used as an answer to Toxic stall. Flamethrower can be used to punish Steel types switching into Clefable. Moonlight is used as I don't have access to transfer moves and can't use Soft-Boiled.

Rotom-Wash @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

Rotom's role is that of a bulky pivot. Defensive nature and Assault Vest allows it to take most attacks, and can switch out with Volt Switch, or hit slower targets for super effective hits with Thunderbolt, Hydro Pump or Dark Pulse.

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

Volcarona is another of the team's win conditions. A few Quiver Dances allows Volcarona to outspeed and one-shot many threats. Bulk and Roost gives Volcarona the time it needs to set up several Quiver Dances. Roost is preferred over healing from Giga Drain, as it is much less situational and can be used at any time that Volcarona needs healing.

I am quite happy with this selection of Pokémon, as I've managed to find a combination with incredible defensive typing: not a single type hits super effective damage against more than one of my team members. I am probably not going to want to switch out any of them (though I could consider it, given good arguments), but I'm not convinced that the sets I'm running are the most optimal ones.

Thanks for taking the time to look over my team, if there's any fixes that could be made, please let me know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)