Project Type Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Reserving Zygarde | Mega Venusaur | Victini.

Here's an extremely weird bulky core that I cooked up recently. The cores goal is to get a sweep with SubCoil Zygarde by means of eliminating all its checks and counters. That said, SubCoil Zygarde is a really underrated threat in general, thanks to its solid typing, great bulk, and access to an excellent boosting move in Coil, augmenting its already high physical defense, making its Substitutes harder to break via physical attacks. Next, Stall-breaker Victini is an excellent partner for Zygarde, eliminating common Fairy type Pokemon that threaten Zygarde, such as Clefable and Mega Gardevoir while also eliminating Skarmory with V-Create, and preventing it from spamming Spikes with Taunt. Finally, Mega Venusaur is an excellent partner for the core by eliminating more offensive Fairy types such as Azumarill and Mega Diancie while also being a solid check to common Water type Pokemon such as Keldeo, Manaphy, and Rotom-W. Mega Venusaur can also utilize Knock Off to cripple item reliant Pokemon, such as Gliscor and Chansey.

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Victini @ Leftovers
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Atk / 68 Def / 60 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- V-create
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bolt Strike

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Knock Off

Last edited:

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Tailwind

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice
- Flash Cannon

So I've actually made this core before. Heatran is a natural pairing for Mega Altaria since it is immune to or 4x resists most attacks aimed at it. Celebi's roll in the core is to NastyPass and make Altaria's Hyper Voice truly fearsome, with Fire Blast to blow past most Steel types. Celebi can also NastyPass to Heatran who, being a Scarf variant, can blow past things it'd otherwise run from with a +2 Fire Blast or HP Ice for Landorus, etc. SpD Celebi can stand its ground against Mega Diancie with +2 Giga Drain and also handles Unaware Quagsire while Heatran is good for Unaware Clefable. ScarfTran is also useful for taking out Gengar, who otherwise does pretty well against Celebi and Altaria.

Reserving Seperior | Heatran | Mega Altaria ( will need time to test it)

Team Pokepals the core is tested!

Offensive Core based around Mega Altaria + Serperior + Heatran.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

Serperior @ Life Orb / Miracle Seed
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Stone Edge
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

The core is centered in 2 sweepers: Serperior and DD Mega Altaria. Thanks to its typing and good bulk, M-Altaria can easily set up in lot of the tier, however, it has trouble dealing with Bulky Ground types like Hippowdown and Water Types like Azumarril, and here is where Serperior comes in, using them as setup bait with Leaf Storm, and also wrecking trough bulkier builds for Altaria's Sweep and luring opposing Heatran in with Hidden Power Ground or Ferrothorn with Hidden Power Fire. The core has a good offensive synergy but has shared weakness in Ice and Poison Type coverage, mainly Gengar, Scolipede, Weavile and Kyurem-B and Fast Hard Hitting Flying Types, notable ones are Talonflame, Mega Pinsir and Choice Band Staraptor, because they wall them (Talonflame's case) or deal heavy damage (Pinsir and Staraptor's case) Offensively, the core still has trouble versus Steel Type Pokemon like Mega Metagross and Specially Defensive Skarmory. Here's where Heatran comes: it's able to resist all type weakness for the core and Altaria provides Water and Fighting resistance while Serperior gives a Ground resistance, and, with a Choice Scarf, it is able to outspeed anything over Base 135, wich means all those threats mentioned are outspeeded and removed, OHKOing most of them with Overheat and Stone Edge.

Im sorry for the lack of images :c, but i'm not using my computer.

Last edited:
Here's a little bulky core.
First post here yay

Latias + Heatran + Mega Venusaur

In most instances we've probably seen these three together in a team once, and for good reason. Latias acts as a wonderful check for a lot of 'mons, like Thundurus, Keldeo, Manaphy and Mega Manectric. It also provides Defog support so Heatran (and basically the potential team) doesn't take so much while doing its job. Since this is a little weak to stall, I put Stallbreaker Heatran as to lure things like Mega Sableye and Chansey, which benefits the other members. It also checks 'mons like opposing Latis, Talonflame and non-EQ Mega Charizard X for your team. Lastly, MVenu provides a little firepower and an answer to annoyances like Mega Altaria, another check to Keldeo and non-HP Flying or Psychic Thundurus. VenuTran has good synergy on its own and adding Latias to the mix gives some more synergy. Core's still weak to 'mons like Bisharp and Gengar so pack appropriate teammates.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish / Roost

Heatran @ Leftovers / Air Balloon / Power Herb (if Solar Beam)
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic / Solar Beam

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire
- Synthesis

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 168 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Leech Seed

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost
This is core I used on a balanced rain team (poli+kabutops+defog m-scizor+kingdra+ferro+talon) fairly recently and it is pretty sweet. Basically, I wanted my team to not be heavily reliant on the rain (a major downfall of lots of rain builds), but I wanted its key cleaning capacity to come from its rain attackers. Therefore, I decided that a balanced FWG core should be part of the build. While I built the core with Poli as the water, really you can substitute any of the Water-types on the build for it and just adjust the roles accordingly. Ferrothorn is a spiker, which the team benefits greatly from, and the set I have chosen allows it to stay healthy semi-consistently so that I can lay spikes repeatedly throughout the match. Stallbreaker Talonflame is there to help alleviate the team's reliance on rain and provide a way to stop Wobbuffet from consistently ruining my day. Kingdra is a sweet wallbreaker-stroke-cleaner that takes advantage of the rain to bolster its Hydro Pumps and give it a Swift Swim boost. Pretty straight foreward tbch.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
I hate to say this, but this was the last week for Type Cores, and I'm truly grateful to everyone that participated in it! Thank you to my co-host AD impish john to helping with a great project, and it was a nice 1st project to manage. I'll update the Hall of Fame for the final time, and wanna thank everyone again for making this a worthwhile 1st thread to manage. I hope this thread was helpful to everyone and hope the cores posted get used for future teams :)

I hate to say this, but this was the last week for Type Cores, and I'm truly grateful to everyone that participated in it! Thank you to my co-host AD impish john to helping with a great project, and it was a nice 1st project to manage. I'll update the Hall of Fame for the final time, and wanna thank everyone again for making this a worthwhile 1st thread to manage. I hope this thread was helpful to everyone and hope the cores posted get used for future teams :)
Sorry to hear that, just wanted to say thanks for hosting, along with the threat cores thread (plus other things like the teambuilding competition) there's been a lot of places to actively participate in recently, it's been fun and I feel like all of it combined has helped my teambuilding quite a bit over the past few weeks. So, thanks! Also you post at a really convenient time for me :p

Sad to know the project ended, im glad to have the chance to participate here, and hope our cores will be useful for new people.

Like Bendiving said, what a good time to post, wake up and know i won the week feels good :D

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Aaaw :[ this was one of the more fun projects. I hope it gets a revamp some day, as I'd love to submit some new cores for past type combos ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)