Type: Null (QC 0/2)

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
name: Paralysis Support
move 1: Thunder Wave
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Icy Wind / Iron Head
move 4: Tri Attack / Crush Claw
item: Eviolite
ability: Battle Armor
nature: Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Type: Null's combination of bulk and low Speed make it an great, physically bulky pivot that can easily spread paralysis.

* Icy Wind gives Type: Null even more speed control, especially against foes immune to Thunder Wave. Alternately, Iron Head can be used to deal good damage to Mimimkyu.

* Tri Attack 2HKOs Cloyster, but Crush Claw's 50% chance to lower defense can be useful when paired with physical sweepers.

* A Speed IV of 0 allows Type: Null to under speed Hippowdon, allowing it to U-turn after it uses Yawn.

[General Teammates]

Most sweepers appreciate Type: Null's paralysis support. In particular, Dynamax sweepers that can bost their offenses or Speed can easily use Type: Null's support to snowball into a win.

Dynamax Boosting Sweepers: :durant: :gyarados: :togekiss: :corviknight: :charizard: :dracozolt: :seismitoad: :tyranitar:

Other Sweepers: :mimikyu: :rotom-wash: :rotom-heat: :rotom-mow:

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Theorymon, 29010]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Last edited:

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Crush Claw should be mentioned as a slash for Tri-Attack, maybe even as the primary slash. Especially since you already have status from Thunder Wave. Rest looks good.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is now ready for QC! I decided to make Crush Claw the 2nd slot in after testing, mainly because you aren't guranteed to be using it with physical sweepers, and not 2HKOing Cloyster is a bummer since that can set up on you with Crush Claw (it can set up two Shell Smashes). Still, good move from my testing, so it deserves a slot!

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
This is now ready for QC! I decided to make Crush Claw the 2nd slot in after testing, mainly because you aren't guranteed to be using it with physical sweepers, and not 2HKOing Cloyster is a bummer since that can set up on you with Crush Claw (it can set up two Shell Smashes). Still, good move from my testing, so it deserves a slot!
Cool, I agree with that logic. Not necessary to mention in your analysis, but when going up against Cloyster, that even when Null is sacked after Crush Claw, one of its main partners, Durant, can come in and easily First Impression's Cloyster to death. But that is also only 80% accuracy, which you may or may not want to roll the dice on.

(Also mention Durant as a teammate, its the OG partner to Null)

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Is Rest not a viable option?
Maybe in an other options part. Type null is already passive enough that going to sleep without a viable wake up option is pretty devastating, only works on teams with only certain physical sweepers. The posted set is far more used/useful

Maybe in an other options part. Type null is already passive enough that going to sleep without a viable wake up option is pretty devastating, only works on teams with only certain physical sweepers. The posted set is far more used/useful
Yeah I’ve piloted it to some success depending against what team I’m against, but yeah it’s definitely quite vulnerable to some mons. I haven’t used a Normal STAB yet, so I’ll try it out now next time I run it! Oh but I would’ve assumed Facade would’ve been a nice option too over Crush Claw.

Theorymon

I updated this for the new format! Would love some QC checks asap!\

I slashed in Iron Head, since I've seen that now. It's a bit strange, but it can come in handy vs Mimikyu.

I haven't mentioned this yet because this is probably more controversial, but I might add a bullet point about Dynamaxing. Yes, I realize how strange Dynamaxing Type: Null seems, but its something both I and other players I've faced have done more than expected. Basically, Type: Null is a really reactive use of Dynamax that can stall opposing physical Dynamaxers. Max Strike actually does decent damage, and Max Steelspike makes it REALLY hard to break through lol.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
I updated this for the new format! Would love some QC checks asap!\

I slashed in Iron Head, since I've seen that now. It's a bit strange, but it can come in handy vs Mimikyu.

I haven't mentioned this yet because this is probably more controversial, but I might add a bullet point about Dynamaxing. Yes, I realize how strange Dynamaxing Type: Null seems, but its something both I and other players I've faced have done more than expected. Basically, Type: Null is a really reactive use of Dynamax that can stall opposing physical Dynamaxers. Max Strike actually does decent damage, and Max Steelspike makes it REALLY hard to break through lol.
Dynamaxing really doesnt make sense in the majority of situations. If you do include something, you need to make a very clear scenario where it makes sense and recommend against it unless X scenario comes up. I know it does happen, but basically you need every pokemon to be revealed and have a point where Type Null becomes a win condition, which is pretty rare for most gameplans.

What you haven't included which might be more useful than the dynamaxing one is just a bullet on the usage tip of why Type Null is so slow and how that helps. Basically, a small bullet point explaining that even after a T-wave or an Icy Wind, you will still underspeed most threats, allowing the bulky type null to take a hit for its frail switch-in, such as Durant. Might come intuitively to most competitive players, but not everyone and it isnt immediately obvious from the set itself.

I don't like iron head, because then you just do nothing vs. Excadrill leads outside from U-turn out. If it OHKOed after disguise break, this would be a different story, but it does not (0 Atk Type: Null Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 70-84 (53.4 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (100.00% chance to 2HKO after accuracy)). Mimikyu can still get Icy winded --> slow pivoted out, allowing a real sweeper to kill Mimi in one hit is more effective.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I don't have experience with using Type: Null myself but from what I've seen I don't think I'd like Iron Head much either. Might still be worth a set mention, but giving up Icy Wind seems like a hard sell.

I think a bullet about reactive Dynamaxing is fine as long as it's clear that you shouldn't do it in general though, I've seen Type: Null Dynamax every now and then too but the situations in which you would do it are fairly specific and otherwise risk backfiring. It's kind of like Toxapex Dynamaxing, you see it every now and then and there are valid scenarios in which you would do it, but they're specific and hard to generalize.

Otherwise this seems good enough for a QC 1/2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)