Typing: The Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Since Light is probably going to win, I have a question regarding it's general theme. I agree with you that it should mainly be about elemental light, but would a few "holiness"related moves be okay with you? I think this might be cool because another type already does this. Dark is mainly about evil, but there are also a few actual darkness related moves like Night Daze and Dark Void.
Only around three holy-related moves, no more, and I would recommend to not make holy-related Abilities and Items either. And holy-related moves are not required either.

Only around three holy-related moves, no more, and I would recommend to not make holy-related Abilities and Items either. And holy-related moves are not required either.
one thing i'm already planning on is making a light-absorb and giving that to base necrozma.
come on, it literally absorbs light. it's perfect. just gotta decide what stat it buffs.

Since Light is probably going to win, I have a question regarding it's general theme. I agree with you that it should mainly be about elemental light, but would a few "holiness"related moves be okay with you? I think this might be cool because another type already does this. Dark is mainly about evil, but there are also a few actual darkness related moves like Night Daze and Dark Void.
This. Why can’t it be BOTH paladins and laserbeams?

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
Food
I think it's a bit boring that we got Space, and now probably Light. Those are the most common type suggestions everywhere. Surely we can keep making creative stuff like Time and Heart instead?
I understand your concern and I'm sorry for you feeling bad about the common Space (and probably Light) winning, but here's the catch; if Light does win, this actually allows more creative type (notably Food) to get a much, much better chance to win.

This. Why can’t it be BOTH paladins and laserbeams?
People don't want it to be good-type. we already have two different types for that. while a bit of holiness can be put in there for now, since we don't have one which has actually won yet, but it will likely have all of that removed once a good-type does win. Also,
Food
I think it's a bit boring that we got Space, and now probably Light. Those are the most common type suggestions everywhere. Surely we can keep making creative stuff like Time and Heart instead?
Time isn't that creative either. One of the most common type suggestions as well. Heart is semi-creative, but it isn't the most weird thing either. But yeah, I get what you mean. I think getting the common stuff out now lets people be even more creative in the future, as it gets rid of the obvious choice for most people.

And people think that separating corrosive melt and citric acid from poison is a crime but god forbid light and holy be the same type. Is it just a bit hypocritical?

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
And people think that separating corrosive melt and citric acid from poison is a crime but god forbid light and holy be the same type. Is it just a bit hypocritical?
There's a key difference here; iirc, there are concepts of Light outside of here that serves as a direct counterpart to Dark-type and based on holiness and goodness, back when Dark-type was introduced in Gen 2. Nowadays it felt way too predictable and even cliche, especially how common "holy light vs evil darkness" had become today, and people here nowadays prefer my take on Light-type (elemental version).

That said, I will allow a few paladin-based moves, but not too many of them.

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
to be blunt, no. Acid vs Poison is just taking a type and splitting it in two. Light vs Holiness is just a direction that doesnt want to be taken. You wouldnt want Grass types to also cover stuff like Blankets or Shirts, just because they're made of cotton, would you?

The difference is that people don't want light to become a good-type. They want it to be an elemental type. adding holy into it would likely turn it into a good-type. You said it yourself, you didn't want a psuedo-psychological type, didn't you? Well, people didn't want light-type to be a good-type. Meanwhile, something like poison and acid doesn't change the entire type. it just puts two similar things together but keeps it the same type. Imagine creating bug-type but also adding things that are annoying or unliked. that would kind-of change the meaning of "bug-type", wouldn't it? I know, not exactly a great example, but it gets the meaning across.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
The difference is that people don't want light to become a good-type. They want it to be an elemental type. adding holy into it would likely turn it into a good-type. You said it yourself, you didn't want a psuedo-psychological type, didn't you? Well, people didn't want light-type to be a good-type. Meanwhile, something like poison and acid doesn't change the entire type. it just puts two similar things together but keeps it the same type. Imagine creating bug-type but also adding things that are annoying or unliked. that would kind-of change the meaning of "bug-type", wouldn't it? I know, not exactly a great example, but it gets the meaning across.
Or if rock-type pokemons were pokemon that played rock'n'roll.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Food

I like light but it's very overdone in pokemon fan media imo. On the other hand, I highly doubt anything will get enough votes to win against it, so could we close vote sooner than usual?

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
Food

I like light but it's very overdone in pokemon fan media imo. On the other hand, I highly doubt anything will get enough votes to win against it, so could we close vote sooner than usual?
We are only 8 for Light and 4 for Food, so the latter could catch up... and it is also a bit too early since we are only "Voting Phase, Day 1" atm. Though Food would win at at least the next time anyways with the obvious Light (and Space) now being the thing we have to worry less.

And I'll agree with Gravity Monkey for voting to end in 12 hours or less. I also agree with you that, though unless an unexpected miracle happens, no Types seems to be able to catch up with Light, considering that the average amount of vote is 16, the average of votes for each winning type (Heart, Time and Space) is 6. And we already reached 14 votes, and Light-type have more than a half amount of voting atm (8), which is the highest among winner types iirc.

Besides, overdone doesn't mean bad since Space here is also done frequently, not just in here, and still won. You can still make an overdone type more interesting if you make an unusual spin to it or, at most, can help the Type Chart quite much.

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I'm taking Dilasc's side here- types have always aimed to encompass a wide range of concepts that can fit within them, Dark-type being an obvious example but other types such as ground (which ranges from anything such as a handful of mud to an entire continental tremor to a horse kicking you in the nuts) or Dragon (which can be something as arbitrary has Dual Chop to something obviously dragon like Dragon Rage). Basically what I'm saying is that a type really shouldn't restrict itself to s specific niche lest it ends up being as uncommon as gen 1 ghost type. Also holiness is cool

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
I'm taking Dilasc's side here- types have always aimed to encompass a wide range of concepts that can fit within them, Dark-type being an obvious example but other types such as ground (which ranges from anything such as a handful of mud to an entire continental tremor to a horse kicking you in the nuts) or Dragon (which can be something as arbitrary has Dual Chop to something obviously dragon like Dragon Rage). Basically what I'm saying is that a type really shouldn't restrict itself to s specific niche lest it ends up being as uncommon as gen 1 ghost type. Also holiness is cool
Okay, if you really want holiness on Light, you can do so by giving it holiness-based moves. I just don't want Light-type to be 100% holiness, but a "75% light elemental, 25% holiness/good" or "50/50" can work to contrast Dark-type's "75% Evil/Foul, 25% Darkness".

I will also be against mutual weakness between Light-type and Dark-type though, as it is a common cliche and reminds me of the old "holy light vs foul darkness" trope that I try to avoid as much as possible.

It's not that the concepts aren't fusible, it's that it may cause a change to what light-type is supposed to be, from an elemental type to a moral type, and your examples fit more "different strengths" for ground, as it just goes from mud (obviously ground) to a continental tremor (Obviously ground, but much stronger), to a horse kicking you (which is, IIRC, one of the less-fitting ground moves), and for dragon type, you just point out Dual chop (AKA the least dragon dragon-type move) to Dragon Rage, not pointing out how most of the dragon-type moves literally having "dragon" in the name, showing a lack of different concepts. While yes, it shouldn't just have one niche of light, it should have all kinds of light - but it doesn't need anything more than that, at least, In my personal opinion. If fire can just be fire, why can't Light Just be light?

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
Okay, easy now, everyone.

I want Light-type to be elemental, but since some of you wanted to implement some holiness into it, then I have no real problem with it. It is when Light-type will end up becoming 100% Holy/Good-type that it will end up making Noble or Hero looks obsolete or redundant.

In this case, I will welcome holiness and paladins in Light-type, but not to the point of overtaking my original intent; an elemental type. We will make sure it will not be only light-elemental and not only purely holy either, but moreso a mix of the two, if this would make everyone happy. That way, Light-type would be more versatile in a way, and allows more variety.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
I would have absolutely no problem with this statement if it was not for the fact that hero/noble might become another actual type later. Those typings received support in the later slates, and if the most popular types are done, we could end up in the future with a 100% holy type. I'm not saying that a light-type with multiple meanings won't happen; it's a democracy here, if most of you are ok with it we can go with that, all I'm saying is that if we want the typing slates to continue on a little more before we hit a wall creatively-wise, those are really easy separations that could be made.

EDIT: fixed typos. If you see others, don't hesitate to tell me (please)!

Last edited:
Jpixelcube is entirely right. If Light-type adopts any significant elements of "holiness", it, regardless of its name, is no longer the same concept. As displayed by Heart being originally named "Healer", the concept of a type matters more than its name in terms of what people are voting for. Therefore, if Light-type diverges in any major way from "elemental light", it is no longer the same concept that gathered 8 votes and must be disqualified from voting.
By the way, High Horsepower is a Ground-type move because it is strongly based around Mudsdale, a Ground-type.

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
Jpixelcube is entirely right. If Light-type adopts any significant elements of "holiness", it, regardless of its name, is no longer the same concept. As displayed by Heart being originally named "Healer", the concept of a type matters more than its name in terms of what people are voting for. Therefore, if Light-type diverges in any major way from "elemental light", it is no longer the same concept that gathered 8 votes and must be disqualified from voting.
By the way, High Horsepower is a Ground-type move because it is strongly based around Mudsdale, a Ground-type.
I did not like what I read about the bold part, but at the same time I know why Pika Xreme would be quite strict about it.

I don't wanna have my submission disqualified just because people would transform it into the Holy-type. Instead I can simply allow a few holy-themed moves but we should still focus on elemental light. Best compromise is to allow around 5 holy/paladin-themed moves at maximum for the voting result of Light-type (if it wins that is), so that we will not get too many of them to the point of losing the significance of the "elemental Light-type". The Z-Move should not be holy/paladin themed, and the match-up should not be too much about holiness flavorwise, and mutual weakness between Light vs Dark is not recommended. Pokemon that would get Light-type should be based on rainbow, illumination, and other actual light sources instead of holiness, but a combination of both will be welcomed. Remember that there is Noble and Hero types who haven't won yet.

tl;dr: I do not want my concept to win just to be disqualified form diverging from its intended concept. I will allow a few paladin-themed moves but no more, and be careful not to make the match-up too "holy" based.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)