Typing: The Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m getting my laptop soon on like 8/18 or smth. Oh wait, it's already past that date?

Lightsaber (c’mon, how could I resist)
Category:
physical.png

Base Power: 90
Accuracy: 100
Power Point: 15 (max 24)
Effect: High critical ratio.
Z-Effect: 175 BP Blinding Black Breaker
Explanation/Niche: The Light-type Leaf Blade, and an excuse to shove Star Wars down everybody’s throat.

Blinding Crash
Category:
physical.png

Base Power: 120
Effect: 1/3 recoil damage. 15% chance to lower opponent’s Acc. by 1 stage.
Z-Effect: 190 BP Blinding Black Breaker
Explanation/Niche:
light.png
Flare Blitz.

Blinding Beam
Category:
special.png

Base Power: 65
Power Point: 10 (max 16)
Effect: Lowers opponent’s Accuracy by 1 stage.
Z-Effect: 140 BP Blinding Black Breaker
Explanation/Niche: An excuse to shove accuracy debuffs down everybody’s throat.

Z-Move: Blinding Black Breaker (i think i'm using blinding too much)
Illuminate (edited ability)
Effect: 1.2x BP to
normal.gif
moves and retyped to
light.png
type.
Explanation/Niche: Honestly, you can just change Illuminate's effect to the standard -ate ability. It's a perfectly fine name, and it does nothing in competitive battling to my knowledge.

Light Absorb
Effect:
When hit by
light.png
move, heal Pokémon with this ability by 1/4 of Max HP.
Explanation/Niche: I have learned from my Immortal mistake and made it 1/4 instead of 1/8. Also, this ability would fit perfectly with Pokémon like Necrozma.

Solar Strength
Effect:
In harsh sunlight, Atk. increased by 1.5x, but loses 1/8 of Max HP at the end of every turn.
Explanation/Niche: Physical Solar Power.
electric.gif
>
electric.gif
light.png

LIGHT Ball.

ground.gif
steel.gif
>
ground.gif
light.png

Alolan Dugtrio's dex entries talk about its shining hair, and
light.png
fits much better than
steel.gif
in my opinion.

water.gif
space.png
>
water.gif
light.png

Staryu and Starmie's dex entries talk about their cores glowing.

fire.gif
>
fire.gif
light.png

Typhlosion's dex entries talk about it using a "shimmering heat haze" to hide itself.

water.gif
electric.gif
>
water.gif
light.png

They're anglerfish.

electric.gif
>
electric.gif
light.png

Ampharos is literally called the Light Pokémon.

grass.gif
>
grass.gif
light.png

It evolves from Gloom with the Sun Stone, and Bellossom's dex entries are mostly about sunlight.

grass.gif
>
grass.gif
light.png

It's a sunflower.

fire.gif
flying.gif
>
fire.gif
light.png

Ho-oh's dex entries talk about rainbows, and it literally is called the Rainbow Pokémon.

dark.gif
ghost.gif
>
dark.gif
light.png

Sableye's dex entries talk about its glimmering eyes.

bug.gif
>
bug.gif
light.png

It's a firefly.

bug.gif
>
bug.gif
light.png

See above.

electric.gif
>
electric.gif
light.png

Shinx's dex entry says that its fur dazzles when danger is sensed, and Luxray's dex entry says that its eyes gleam. Also, Luxio and Luxray's name origins contain "lux", which is a unit of brightness.

grass.gif
>
grass.gif
light.png

Cherrim's dex entry says that when sunlight comes, it blooms.

fighting.gif
>
fighting.gif
light.png

Lucario's dex entry says that it can sense auras, and light is close enough to auras.

water.gif
>
water.gif
light.png

Lumineon is known as the Neon Pokémon, and both names contain "neon". Also, their dex entries talk about them glowing.
normal.gif
>
normal.gif
light.png

Watchog's dex entry says that the markings on its body shine to threaten predators, and it also has the ability Illuminate.

rock.gif
>
rock.gif
light.png

Gigalith's dex entry says that it absorbs solar energy.

electric.gif
normal.gif
>
electric.gif
light.png

In their name origins are "helios", which is Greek for sun. Also, Helioptile's dex entry says that it draws power from the Sun.

fairy.gif
>
fairy.gif
light.png

Light of Ruin is Eternal Floette's signature move.

fairy.gif
>
fairy.gif
light.png

Xerneas's dex entry says that its horns shine 7 different colors.

rock.gif
>
rock.gif
light.png
*NEW*
It evolves during the day.

grass.gif
fairy.gif
>
grass.gif
light.png

They both are known as the Illuminating Pokémon, they both have the ability Illuminate, and their dex entries also talk about light.

electric.gif
>
electric.gif
light.png

Xurkitree is known as the Glowing Pokémon and UB-03 Lighting.

space.png
>
light.png
space.png

No need for an explanation.

space.png
steel.gif
>
light.png
steel.gif

space.png
ghost.gif
>
light.png
ghost.gif

space.png
dragon.gif
>
light.png
dragon.gif

WIP

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Matchups:

Attacking
SE: Steel, Ghost, Fairy, Water, Dark, (Dragon?)
NvE: Poison, Electric, Ice, Space, Bug, Light
0x: Grass, Psychic

Defending
SE: Poison, Space, Time
NvE: Fire, Electric, Ghost, Light, Fairy,
0x: Dark

Rather than Light being Anti-Dark, I've wanted to create the trinity of Dark > Psychic > Light > Dark... but I feel like I'm not gonna be allowed to ever have my dream be anything more than a personal spreadsheet.

Anyway...

Steel burns under light and Ghosts shudder to the lack of shadows, and Fairies too tend to prefer the moon and the dark. Many come out at night to commit mischief. Water evaporates rapidly, seriously, shine a fuckton of light on water, it'll disappear, and darkness also fades from light. Dragons also tend to horde treasures in dark Caves.

The whole psychic thing is about Psychics being enlightened by their open minds and thus can see with their minds and not with light. Unfortunately psychic has like 4 SE hits and 1 resist and immunity, meaning its scary as hell right now and a go to attack type as STAB or coverage.

Smog traps light and Electric makes its own light, Ice reflects it with its Albedo Effect, and space bend it away. Bugs just dgaf. When the sun kills us all with radiation, most bugs will be here long after we disappear.

Grass however absorbs sunlight, and again Psychic is beyond Enlightened, but the type chart... is it too late to beg for some big changes to better fit my dreams? Please?!

As a defensive type, Poison traps light for endless Greenhouse effect, and Spacetime bends and contorts light. Light is a good type to get use of your new type coverages! Did bolding help attract you to the idea? The resists should be obvious, I hope. Darkness has trouble penetrating light. (Heroes on the other hand can be corrupted by greed or fel magic, but heroes aren't light and the yinyang of good vs. evil is not this.)

What does this do? Well, using a Light type version of Fire Blast with 100 SpAtk and STAB produces this.

252 SpA Light Type's Light Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 328-388 (101.2 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And this Light Type physical Quick Attack, same stat situation...

252 Atk Light Type's Flicker vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Aegislash-Shield: 156-184 (48.1 - 56.7%) -- 30.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Are you interested yet? What about 4xing Magerna or Greninja (without Protean)?

A new lease on life for bug and grass types? Brush off the Old Exeggcutor after a few years? Maybe use that Dhelmise or Mega-Sceptile you forgot existed? Or some of the bugs with good stat spreads will find new lease.
Six SE on offense seems steep, but two immunities of Light and six resistances means that it would not be spammed too easily. I find it hilarious that Mega Mawile and Aegislash and Ash-Greninja would get pulverized by a Heliolisk without appropriate coverage (Greninja have Gunk Shot at least).

Six SE on offense seems steep, but two immunities of Light and six resistances means that it would not be spammed too easily. I find it hilarious that Mega Mawile and Aegislash and Ash-Greninja would get pulverized by a Heliolisk without appropriate coverage (Greninja have Gunk Shot at least).
My main problem is that i don't think it should have two immunities, especially one to psychic, which is already extremely buffed by other types. Also, I don't know why light is SE on water because it evaporates in extreme light, but not ice which would do the same.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
My main problem is that i don't think it should have two immunities, especially one to psychic, which is already extremely buffed by other types. Also, I don't know why light is SE on water because it evaporates in extreme light, but not ice which would do the same.
If you guys have a problem with any matchups, just don't vote for it, alright. We had our quota of arguments for the week.

If you guys have a problem with any matchups, just don't vote for it, alright. We had our quota of arguments for the week.
Sorry. I was just trying to point out any problems that Dilsac could fix or point out to me as to why I didn't understand her matchup. I don't try to go for arguments, I try to go for discussions that can help ideas flow. But yeah, maybe I should try to keep arguments to a minimum after what happened.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Sorry. I was just trying to point out any problems that Dilsac could fix or point out to me as to why I didn't understand her matchup. I don't try to go for arguments, I try to go for discussions that can help ideas flow. But yeah, maybe I should try to keep arguments to a minimum after what happened.
I know there was no bad intention, but yeah, its just that I want to try to keep the toxicity to minimum from now on. Also, in this slate, since everyone can submit their onwn chart, there are other solutions.

Tuthur

formerly 0-7 in FCL
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Pokémon modification:
->
Dex entries associates offen both with Light ; Staryu: "It appears in large numbers by seashores. At night, its central core flashes with a red light.", Starmie:"Its central core glows with the seven colors of the rainbow. Some people value the core as a gem." Also they both have the Ability "Illuminate". Also Light is better than Space for them because: "Its unusual body shape, reminiscent of abstract art, led local people to spread rumors that this Pokémon may be an invader from outer space."

->
Ledian is the "Five Star" Pokémon. Most of its dex entries are related with Stars and Light.
->
Lanturn is the "Light" Pokémon. Also all dex entry mention the light it produces.
->
and
->
Ampharos is the "Light" Pokémon (yeah just like Lanturn). This Pokémon is also heavily related to lighthouse in the Pokémon game and in its english, german and french name.
->
Sunflora is related to Sun with its name in english, german and french.
->
It's the "Sun" Pokémon. Also it's the counterpart of Umbeon which is a Dark-type.
->
They are the "Firefly" Pokémon. Also Volbeat learns Tail Glow and has the ability Illuminate.
->
This Pokémon name is a reference to Solar Eclipse. Also the light-type feets well with its black and white design.
/
->
The Pokédex entries mention its ability to reflect light: "Its body is covered with a down that can refract light in such a way that it becomes invisible."
->
This Pokémon name contains "Lux", the light, in french, english and german. It's japanese name contains "X-Ray".
->
It's a form you can only see during harsh sun.
->
I don't have any good reasoning bar that Light feets better to it than Steel.
->
The "Neon" Pokémon. Its name in every language contains "neon" and "luminous". Dex entries also mention the Light it produces.
->
No good reason bar that it feets well to it and that Whimsicott (its counterpart in BW) has a double type.
->
This Pokémon learns by leveling up Solar Beam and the dual Screen.
->
No good reason, i just feel like the Light-type feets well to it.
->
This Pokémon name contain "Helios" in english. Its frilled neck looks like a sun and it has the ability: Solar Power.
->
It is the "Illuminating" Pokémon. Its name contains the words: "lamp" in french, "shine" in english, "lux" in german, and "lampshade" in chinese. It has the ability Illuminate. Also its dex entries mentions the light it emits: "People confused by its strange lights can never find their way home again."
->
Idt i need to explain this one.

Retyped moves:
Flash, Light Screen, Light That Burns The Sky, Luster Purge, Miror Coat, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Photo-Geyser, Prismatic Laser, Reflect, Spotlight, Tail Glow

Match-Ups:
Attacking:
(x2) ;
(x0.5) ;
(x0)
Reasoning: Bug-type are appealed by the Light. Darkness is removed by Light. The Light get easily through the emptiness of the space. Grass absorbs the Light during the Photosynthesis. The ice and the metals reflect the Light. Waves can counterbalance them to negate them.
Defending:
(x2) ;
(x0.5) ;
(x0)
Reasoning: Darkness removes the Light. Fire produces Light so it's hard for it to deal damage to Light.

Last edited:
I think is the first time I'm planning to submit for everything in this stage since Heart type. Wow.

Matchups
Offensive:
2x: Ghost, Ice,
Bug, Time, Dark
1/2x: Water, Poison, Fire, Ground
0x: Grass

Defensive:
2x: Poison, Grass, Ground
1/2x: Ghost, Fire, Time

Reasoning:
Offensive: Ghosts don't like Light. It's a well known fact. Intense light creates heat, which could melt Ice. You can use a magnifying glass to concentrate Light and kill bugs. Light beats Time because nothing can move faster than Light. Water refracts Light which could make Light less accurate/effective. Light doesn't travel quite as far in Smoke and Smog (I should know, it's been smoky where I live and I almost can't see the sun.) Light isn't good against Fire because Light creates Heat, and also the smoke thing. Light also can't travel through the Ground. Grass absorbs Light and needs it to live, so it's immune.

Defensive: Weak to Poison because of Light being obstructed in Smog. Grass absorbs and neutralizes Light. Light is also stopped by Ground. Light resists Ghost because Ghosts don't like light and Time because nothing moves faster than Light. It resists Fire because Heat also creates Light.

Illuminate: Light type -ate.
Sun Lamp: Light type moves become Fire with 1.2x power.
Photosynthesis: Immune to light type moves and restores 25% of health when hit by one.
Refracting Body: Light type moves have 0.8x accuracy against this Pokemon.
Prismatic Body: This Pokemon's Light type moves have a 30% chance to raise a random stat. (Not acc/Eva)

->

->

->

->

It's signature move is Light of Ruin.

->

Based on Lamps. Litwick keeps the Fire typing.

->

They get Illuminate.

->

It gets Illuminate.

->

They bend Light around them to create their Illusions.

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
light gem.png
luminous plate.png
lightinium-Z.png
light memory.png

Items:

Luminous Moss: Light-Type Silk Scarf variant
luminous plate.png
Luminous Plate
Mirror:
User takes 0.8x damage from light attacks

Abilities

Illuminate: Light -Ate
Reflector: Dancer clone for Light moves, immune to Light
Epilepsy: Confuses foe on switchin
Bug Zapper: Bug-Types are attracted by the light and cannot switch out

Moves:

Pre-Existing: Flash, Dazzling Gleam, Photon Geyser, Light That Burns The Sky, Solar Beam, Morning Sun (Moonlight?), Flash Cannon, Spotlight, Signal Beam, Mind Blown, Light Screen, Reflect, Prismatic Laser
Z-Move: Ultraviolet Spectrum

Blackout: Light-Type Burn Up

Pokemon:

&
: They use the various light spots in their bodies to hypnotize their foes. Malamar is more perverse, so it retains dark while inkay retains psychic.
: Bioluminescent mushrooms. They have no buiseness being Fairy anyways. They also have Illuminate.
: They use the light flickers as the main way the species has to communicate
: Cause baby it's a firework

Malamar: 96 / 102 / 88 / 68 / 105 / 73 +Moonlight
This gives it fine bulk to abuse Superpower with.

Shiinotic: 130 / 45 / 80 / 90 / 100 / 30
Higher HP grants it the bulky role it is trying to be. BST stays lower than 500, but it has two of the best moves in the game with Spore and Strenght Sap. Maybe give it Epilepsy instead of Rain Dish

Beheeyem: 105 / 75 / 95 / 125 / 95 / 40 +Dazzling Gleam
It wasn't really any good before, now it can be a somewhat tanky mon

Moonlight: 16 PP, does not heal less under rain / sand / hail.
Dazzling Gleam: 90 BP

Last edited:
Matchups

SE: Water, Ghost, Steel
NVE: Space, Poison, Fire, Light, Ground

Weak to: Grass, Poison, Ice
Resists: Fairy, Light, Dark, Water
Immune to: Ghost

Reasoning

Offensive:
Water evaporates when exposed to light, and steel could melt. Ghosts cannot survive under light.
There is already light (stars) in space so more light can't do much; poisonous smog and the ground both block or weaken light. Light can only combine with other light, and fire already creates light. Grass absorbs any light you shine at it and uses it to photosynthesize, making it immune.

Defensive:
See above for grass and poison. Ice reflects light, making it SE (but ice can also get melted in the process so it doesn't resist light)
See above for water and light. Fairies are associated with the moon, which is seen during the night. Even though light isn't a direct dark counterpart it still makes sense that light should resist dark. Ghosts, however, cannot do anything under light, making light immune.

Water weak mostly for balance, ice reflect for same reason alhough white snow has a hell of a reflectance and ice is still not a type I'm ready to throw lots of weaknesses at. To be fair, Water's been getting a raw deal and Lanturn/RotomW are going to drop like 3 tiers because of Heart and Time's 4x hits so removing that would not sit poorly with me. So remove Water weakness and Psychic immunity, although the joys of 4x Greninja slaughter is gone for now.

II'm also uneasy about giving Bug its 5th weakness. Flying is still going to be as effective as ever as most types submitted have little interaction with it, leaving Birdspam in the same place it always has been and Fire coverage is still sometimes many mon's only choice vs. Steel. This doesn't help bug, and further light weaknesses scare them further away, especially if said submission includes steel, or includes ice (a theoretical Ice/Bug would have 3 4x weaknesses under that condition and that I cannot sit by for.)

Last edited:
Light Matchup
Offensive:
2x against

1/2 against

0x against

Defensive:
2x from

1/2 from

0x from N/A
Explanation/Niche:

2x against
  • : ghosts traditionally fear light and prefer nighttime and darkness
  • : light shining removes darkness
  • : radiation is bad for the heart
  • : something moving at the speed of light slows down even time
1/2 against
  • : some bugs are well known for their resistance to radiation
  • : the ground blocks light (and needs more resistances)
  • : light tends to bounce off metals and steel things
  • : strong gravity (like from black holes) can bend light
  • : light waves pass through one another
0x against
  • : plants absorb light for photosynthesis so they aren’t hurt by it
2x from
  • : plants absorb light’s energy
  • : metals can easily block light
  • : see not very effective against
1/2 from
  • : darkness is the lack of light, it can’t really overcome it
  • : ghosts can't conquer that which they fear
  • : see super effective against
  • : see super effective against
  • : light waves pass through one another

Hardlight Shot
Typing
:

Category:

Accuracy: 95
Power Points: 10
Effect: 20% chance to lower Def by 1 stage. Does not make contact.
Z-Effect: 160 BP
Target: Selected target
Explanation/Niche: Strong physical Light-type attack.

Radiant Charge
Typing
:

Category:

Power Points: 5
Effect: User takes 33% damage done in recoil. Makes contact.
Z-Effect: 190 BP
Explanation/Niche: Powerful physical Light-type attack.

Light Burst
Typing
:

Category:

Base Power: 40
Power Points: 30
Effect: +1 priority.
Z-Effect: 100 BP
Explanation/Niche: Special priority!

Searing Light
Typing
:

Category:

Base Power: 70
Power Points: 20
Effect: Hits Grass-types super effectively. 10% chance to burn.
Z-Effect: 140 BP
Explanation/Niche: While most people are making Grass resist or immune to Light, excessively strong light can cause plants to burn too.

Light Switch
Typing
:

Category:

Effect: After making its attack, the user rushes back to switch places with a party Pokemon in waiting.
Z-Effect: 140 BP
Explanation/Niche: Pivoting move that works well with the many specially oriented attackers and slower, bulkier ones too.

Hardlight Ray
Typing
:

Category:

Base Power: 80
Power Points: 10
Effect: Deals physical damage.
Explanation/Niche: A Light-type Psyshock based on using projectiles made from compressed photons.

Laser Beam
Typing
:

Category:

Power Points: 15
Effect: 20% chance to lower SpD by 1 stage.
Z-Effect: 175 BP
Explanation/Niche: Strong Light-type special attack.

Luminous Cannon
Typing
:

Category:

Base Power: 130
Accuracy: 90
Effect: Lowers user's SpA by 2 stages.
Z-Effect: 195 BP
Explanation/Niche: Powerful Light-type special move.

Light Bulb
Typing
:

Category:

Base Power: --
Accuracy: --
Effect: Raises user’s SpA and Acc by 1 stage.
Z-Effect: Raises SpA by 1 stage
Target: Self
Explanation/Niche: Like what happens in cartoons when a character gets an idea. Except the light bulb also lights up the opponents, making them easier to hit.

Dazzling Dance
Typing
:

Category:

Effect: Raises user’s SpA and Spe by 1 stage.
Z-Effect: Resets lowered stat modifications
Target: Self
Explanation/Niche: It seems most Light-types are going to be specially oriented, so here’s a set-up move for some of them.

Flash
Spotlight
Dazzling Gleam
Power Gem
Mirror Shot
Confuse Ray (it’s called Eerie Light in Japanese, and many non-Ghost types can learn it too)
Signal Beam
Solar Beam
Solar Blade
Morning Sun
Reflect
Light Screen
Tail Glow
Luster Purge (modified)
Techno Blast (modified)
Light of Ruin
Prismatic Laser
Photon Geyser
Light that Burns the Sky
Light Speed

Luster Purge
Typing
:

Category:

Base Power: 110
Effect: 50% chance to lower SpD by 1 stage.
Z-Effect: 180 BP
Explanation/Niche: Significantly increased the power of Latios' signature move, which should be okay since neither Latios nor its Mega are Light-type.

Techno Blast
Typing
:

Category:

Effect: The move's type changes depending on the Drive the user holds.
Z-Effect: 190 BP
Explanation/Niche: No one used this move as it was, now it might be a powerful coverage move for Genesect.

Z-move: Radiance Nova

Solar Boost
Effect
: The Pokemon's Light-type attacks deal 50% more damage when it is sunny.
Explanation/Niche: It's extra bright when it's sunny so Light-type attacks would gain extra power too. For Pokemon who love the sun.

Mirror Body
Effect
: The Pokemon does not take damage from Light-type moves and bounces them back to their users.
Explanation/Niche: An immunity ability combined with Magic Bounce. For Pokemon with shiny or metallic bodies.

Luminous Memory
Effect
: This item, when held by Silvally, will cause it and its Multi-Attack move to become Light-type.
Explanation/Niche: Light-type memory item.

Kerret Berry
Effect
: If held by a Pokémon, this Berry will lessen the damage taken from one super effective Light-type attack.
Fling: 10 BP
Natural Gift: 80 BP,

Explanation/Niche: Based on carrots which are associated with good vision which is associated with light.

Gigalith
->

Stats changes: N/A
Ability changes: N/A
Explanation/Niche: It fires light beams from its crystals.

Carbink
->

Explanation/Niche: It also fires light beams from its crystals.

Watchog
->

Stats changes: 60 / 85 / 69 / 60 / 69 / 77 | BST: 420 -> 80 / 110 / 79 / 70 / 79 / 92 | BST: 510
Explanation/Niche: Uses "luminescent matter" to make its body glow and stun enemies, also has Illuminate.

Xerneas
->

Explanation/Niche: Its horns shine in 7 colors like a prism refracting white light. And Yveltal is dual typed, so why not Xerneas?

Last edited:
Matchup
Offensive:
2x against Ghost, Time, Dark
1/2 against Bug, Ice, Rock, Steel
0x against Grass
Defensive:
2x from Ice, Grass, Steel
1/2 from Ghost, Time, Dark
Explanation/Niche: Ghost-types use a lot of shadow-oriented moves, and the undead usually don't like bright spots. Things going at the speed of light make Time go a little cross-eyed. Criminals and demons alike, both banded under the Dark-type, would rather not work in broad daylight. Ice and gems (falling under Rock) can refract and distort light that passes through them. Steel reflects light, and Grass absorbs it. Finally, Bug resists light because cockroaches resist harmful radiation, and cockroaches are a type of bug while harmful radiation is a type of light (citation needed).

Solrock and Lunatone
Rock/Space => Light/Space
Stats changes:
as before
Ability changes: As before
Explanation/Niche: They come from space and emit light.

Pichu, Pikachu and Raichu (not alolan)
Electric => Electric/Light
Stats changes
: 70/110/55/85/80/130 (530) for Raichu, 45/75/40/70/50/90 (370) for Pikachu. Alolan Raichu, while not Light-type, gets 70/85/50/110/85/130 (530) to match.
Ability changes: (optional)
Explanation/Niche: Pikachu's boosting item is the Light Ball, and Raichu is mentioned to glow in the dark. The stat buffs are meant to make them all more viable, while differentiating Raichu from its Alolan counterpart.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Since a lot of the match-up seem to have the same gist so I may as well skip that one. Anyways, here's my idea dump:

New Light Type Moves:
Gamma Rays: Special | 75 BP | 85% Acc | 16 PP | 30% chance to burn the target.
Gamma radiation is no joke when it comes to burns, giving it the rather high chance to burn. Basically a Light-type Scald (which may not be enjoyable, more or less).

Glint: Special | 40 BP | 100% Acc | 32 PP | Has a priority +1.
A glint is a quick flash of light, giving the priority +1, plus light is hard to very quickly react to, especially if it's a quick flick of light.

UV Uppercut: Physical | 85 BP | 100% Acc | 24 PP | Hits even if the target is using Fly, Sky Drop, or Bounce.
Nothing much here, just a decency powered physical attack for a most likely special dominate type. UV Uppercut also rolls off the tongue well.

Ballistic Photon: Special | 110 BP | 80% Acc | 16 PP | No additional effect.
Again, nothing too interesting, just a Hydro Pump clone with a cool name (name origin).

Glimmer Gulp: Special | 70 BP | 100% Acc | 24 PP | The user gains 50% of damage done to their own HP.
Light can get absorbed, so I supposed a Giga Drain like move can work. Light Absorb didn't sound so well, but I liked how Glimmer Gulp sounds.

New Light-Based Abilities:
Quick Adjust: When hit by a Light-type move, the move does no damage and the user's Accuracy and Special Defense are raised by one.
When you enter a bright room after being in a much darker move for a while, your eyes need to adjust for a bit before you can actually use them, otherwise it's very hard to keep them open. This represents how the user can adjust to light quickly, making it more accurate. Since just Accuracy is kind of underwhelming, Special Defense is also thrown in there, representing far sight as special attacks are mostly beams and stuff like that.

Brighter Flash: All the user's Light-type moves have a 10% chance to flinch.
Quick exposure to bright lights tend to make you flinch.

Deflector: When the user's stats are lowered by the opponent, the opponent also gets the effect.
I don't think I need to explain this one, right?

Radiant: Light-type moves used during sunlight have a 50% increase in damage.
The sun provides light, so may as well have a parallel to the increase damage to Fire-type moves in the sun.

New Light-Based Items:
Lantern: When the user is hit by a Dark-type move, damage is done as if the move was Normal-type.
Light makes dark not dark because there's light.

Eh, I got nothing else.

I'll be updating this with more stuff I can brainstorm. For now, I'll take any comments/criticisms.

Last edited:

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
Well, here I come. As I am saying, thank you everyone for your support (with ten votes! Phew!), and now I will do a little more than usual; a match-up as well as some PU-RU Pokemon with buffed stats (alongside new Light-type of course).

Offensive
x2
:

x0.5:

x0:

Reasoning: Most fairies and mythical creatures with similar abilities aren't known to destroy light and can be taken by surprise by a light-controlling traitor/enemy, ghost in general stay away from light sources, most dragons (at least the more aggressive ones) tend to live in dark caves and have small eyes (no offense), and darkness cannot take over light without the source of light being turned off first, and at the same time, criminals and demons try to stay away from light to avoid getting detected. Light can be so fast that even time's slowing down effect will not make it stop from getting their location.

Water can reflect light, grass can perform photosynthesis, smog can be used to block light, space have black holes (which is because of the super powerful gravity), and light on light just make more light (heightened pressure, room more bright, etc).

Defensive
x2:

x0.5:

x0:

Reasoning: Grass is already stated, smog can be used to block light, and space can bend out light via distortion.

Light, Ghost, Fairy and Dark are already stated on the offensive match-up. Fire is unique here as, while it produce light, Fire is not used for speed measure unlike electricity and wind, thus not explicitly vulnerable to Light either. With the Fire-type resistance, Pokemon with Chlorophyll and gain this type can worry less about Fire-type threats.

Overall
Light as an offensive Type will greatly hurt Mimikyu and Mega Altaria, and make Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele rather worried about getting hit by one. Dark-type in general will not be happy to deal with a Light-type (though some like Greninja are glad to have Gunk Shot) and Mega Mawile had to use its Steel-type STAB, since Sucker Punch will do no anvil and makes it easy to revenge kill as a result. Tapu Bulu will gladly switch into a Light-type move and demolish opposing Light-type, though it won't be happy if it is Shiinotic or Bellossom (with stats buffed) that will spam Strength Sap on it. In Uber, poor Dialga is further doomed, Yveltal would be disgusted having to deal with Ultra Necrozma, while Deoxys and Solgaleo will call it a field day, being able to switch into a Light-move (though with Deoxys-Defense as an exception, the Deoxys is frail and should focus on revenge killing), and Palkia can demolish Ultra Necrozma with a STAB Spacial Rend with a Choice Scarf. No full Grass-type Uber except Arceus-Grass though.

Defensively, although Shiinotic is still worried of Poison and Lanturn and Lumineon would despite getting hit by a Grass-type much further, being immune to Dark can be seen as a big boon as this means that they should never worry about losing their precious item because of Knock Off. Grass/Light will also be benefited does to their neutral damage from Fire-type, which means that they can run Chlorophyll or Solar Power without getting too damaged by a Fire attack. In Uber, Xerneas will fear Dusk Mane Necrozma does to double resistance to Fairy and the former really need that Earth Power to win.

If this match-up gives you concern, please warn me.

Pika Xreme had already done the Raichu line with buffed stat and all (including one for Alolan Raichu even if it would remain Electric/Psychic).

(Originally by PsuedoRidge, credit them for the suggestion)
Alolan Dugtrio line: Already explained by PsuedoRidge; their hair emit shimmering light and their hair color fits more and Steel-type doesn't make as much sense as with Light-type.
New Stats (Alolan Dugtrio): 65 / 110 / 70 / 50 / 70 / 140
(Kanto Dugtrio: 65 / 110 / 60 / 50 / 70 / 150)
Intended Uses: Turns Alolan Dugtrio into a bit more aggressive revenge killer while toning up its Physical Bulk to more bearable level.

Ledian line: Ledian is the "Five Star" Pokemon, and several Pokedex entries mention their abilities related to light.
New Stats (Ledian): 75 / 115 / 60 / 55 / 110 / 105
Intended Uses: Allows Ledian to perform as a physical attacker it always wanted to be.

Ledian line: Their antennas emit light, both have Illuminate and well, Electric-type is quite far-fetched on something based of angler fishes (they can keep Electric-type moves and Volt Absorb though).
New Stats (Lanturn): 125 / 58 / 78 / 118 / 118 / 67
Intended Uses: Allows Lanturn to perform as a bulky sweeper or tank more correctly.

Sunflora: Based on the sunflower and have both Solar Power and Chlorophyll.
New Stats: 80 / 75 / 60 / 115 / 85 / 80
Intended Uses: With better stats, Sunflora is able to exploit Solar Power or Chlorophyll more easily.

Ampharos line (not Mega Ampharos): Their tail can emit light, and Ampharos' name contain words related to light in multiple language and its design is based of the lighthouse. Mega Ampharos is unchanged since I do not want to have no more non-Uber Electric/Dragon over here.

Espeon: Who needs a Light Eeveelution while Espeon fits more does to heavy association to the sunlight in contrast of Umbreon's Dark-type and association of moonlight.

Bellossom: According to multiple Pokedex entries, Bellossom are known to dance as a ritual to summon the sun, plus they evolved from the Sun Stone as well as able to benefit the sun via Chlorophyll. Plus it will allow it to be dual typed like Vileplume.
New Stats: 85 / 80 / 95 / 100 / 110 / 50
(Vileplume: 85 / 80 / 85 / 120 / 100 / 50, to avoid BST disparity)
Intended Uses: Bellossom's improved bulk and power allows it to exploit Quiver Dance and thus have quite better firepower.

Ho-Oh: It is the Rainbow Pokemon and let out golden light as it flies away.

Beautifly: Colorful, and can naturally learn Morning Sun (and also to keep distance from the already better-in-comparison Butterfree).
New Stats (Ledian): 75 / 70 / 70 / 110 / 70 / 100
Intended Uses: The much improved stats will help Beautifly to utilize its new, more useful STAB and take advantage of Quiver Dance.

Volbeat + Illumise: Both are Firefly Pokemon, and Volbeat have Illuminate and can naturally learn Tail Glow and Flash. I feel like Illumise doesn't make too much sense but at the same time, leaving one buffed and leave the counterpart biting further dust wouldn't be fair either.
New Stats (Volbeat): 70 / 112 / 75 / 107 / 85 / 96
New Stats (Illumise)
: 70 / 107 / 75 / 112 / 85 / 96
Intended Uses: Volbeat and Illumise would be able to perform better as mixed sweepers, provided they get the good Light-type moves. Tail Glow Volbeat would be quite a strong wallbreaker!

Cherrim: Its Sunshine form requires Sunny Day to activate Flower Gift, can naturally learn Morning Sun, and can use Dazzling Gleam.
New Stats: 80 / 105 / 70 / 107 / 88 / 90
Intended Uses: Allows Cherrim to pull full potential of its Flower Gift, especially with the improved Attack.

Lumineon line: Their name contain the word "Neon", and can learn more than one beam-based move such as Aurora Beam and Signal Beam.
New Stats (Lumineon): 89 / 69 / 76 / 119 / 86 / 91
Intended Uses: Makes Lumineon more specialized and able to fit in a Rain team as a Special Sweeper

Phione: Phione's body is mostly composed of water, thus able to reflect light decently well. It will also help it to stand out from Manaphy much more. Its new stat distribution will make it a more nimble but less bulky Manaphy.
New Stats: 90 / 100 / 85 / 100 / 85 / 120
Intended Uses: Makes Phione a faster but less bulky Manaphy that can potentially revenge killing weakened threats with Choice Scarf.

Watchog: Have Illuminate for some reason. Though B2W2 say it best: "Using luminescent matter, it makes its eyes and body glow and stuns attacking opponents." The reason why I removed Normal is because Illuminate will remove the Normal-type STAB.
New Stats: 70 / 105 / 69 / 105* / 69 / 117
(* The reason why it have 105 Special Attack is that it can naturally learn Nasty Plot. That would make it an unpredictable set-up sweeper.)
Intended Uses: Turns Watchog into an unpredictable set-up sweeper with Illuminate to expend its Light-type learnset.

Lilligant line: Evolves from Sun Stone, can benefit Sun via Chlorophyll, naturally learn Growth, and make it dual-typed like their counterpart, the Whimsicott line.
New Stats (Lilligant): 90 / 60 / 75 / 110 / 80 / 90
Intended Uses: Gives Lilligant a better Special Bulk that can be further helped with Quiver Dance.

Cryogonal: Can learn Dual Screen and naturally learn Solar Beam.
New Stats: 80 / 50 / 65 / 105 / 135 / 105
Intended Uses: Cryogonal's slightly improved Attack and hopefully good Light moves and a potentially better Ability will help it to sweep properly.

Heliolisk line: They are known to generate electricity by solar energy, which is more evident with Solar Power.
New Stats (Heliolisk): 72 / 55 / 62 / 119 / 94 / 109
Intended Uses: With a less crippling Physical Bulk and a much more affordable Special Attack, Heliolisk is able to make good use of Solar Power much more easily.

Shiinotic line: Unlike the other potential Grass/Light, they have Illuminate and are more inclined to produce light than using solar energy.
New Stats (Shiinotic): 90 / 65 / 80 / 95 / 130 / 60
Intended Uses: Turns Shiinotic into quite an annoying Special Wall, or if abusing Strength Sap, even a Mixed Wall.

Xurkitree: It should be obvious; its design is like Christmas decoration which light up and can naturally learn Tail Glow.

|
|
|

Necrozma (all Forms): To respectfully quote Pika Extreme: " [...] Necrozma should be Light-type in all forms, because it is literally a being that, at core, is composed of light." Indeed, Necrozma by itself can be one of the best reasons why Light-type (element) is a great potential. Necrozma can retain its new Space-type to become Light/Space, but the other, more powerful forms should get rid of Space-type by Light in order for each forms to stand out more from Solgaleo, Lunala and Palkia (+ Mega Lati@s), respectively. Can I say that Dawn Wings Necrozma's typing would be especially interesting, considering that Ghost-type is not a known type to actively use Light?

All of the moves here will be

Supernova
Category
: Physical
Base Power: 200
Power Point: 5 (max 8)
Effect: User faints after use. No contact.
Z-Effect: 200 BP Z-Move
Intended Use(s): Light-type Self-Destruct.

Hard Light Punch
Category
Effect: 30% to raise the user's Attack by 1 stage. No contact.
Z-Effect: 175 BP Z-Move
Intended Use(s): Standard Light-type Physical move.

Radiance Fall
Category
Base Power: 60
Effect: User's Attack is raised by 3 stages if it KOes a target.
Z-Effect: 120 BP Z-Move
Intended Use(s): Fell Stinger clone but with a slightly better BP to finish off an injured target.

Rainbow Slash
Category
Base Power: 100
Accuracy: 90
Power Point: 5 (max 8)
Effect: High chance of critical hit. No contact.
Z-Effect: 185 BP Z-Move
Intended Use(s): Crabhammer but with Light-type.

Rainbow Kunais
Category
: Special
Base Power: 25
Power Point: 30 (max 48)
Effect: Hits 2-5 times in one turn.
Z-Effect: 120 BP Z-Move
Intended Use(s): We don't have many a multi-hit Special move, so here's one.

Penetration Beam
Category
Effect: Deals Super Effective damage to Steel-type.
Z-Effect: 175 BP Z-Move
Intended Use(s): A Freeze-Dry variant.

Radiant Transmit
Category
Base Power: 75
Effect: Upon a successful hit, the user will transmit their negative stat stage changes to the target.
Z-Effect: 140 BP Z-Move
Intended Use(s): A particular move that will help combine well with Leaf Storm or similar moves.

Backfiring Flash
Category
Base Power: 70 (No Damaging Moves) | 5+x (X being the target's move with the highest Base Power)
Accuracy: 100% (No Damaging Moves) | X% (X being the Accuracy of the target's move with the highest base power)
Power Point: 20 (max 32)
Effect: The Base Power and Accuracy will reflect the target's move with the highest Base Power, plus 10 for the Base Power. It does not take conditional multiplier (such as if the target is poisoned) into account. Moves without a specific Base Power (-) and OHKO moves will not count. Z-Moves does not count toward this move. If the target have no directly damaging moves, this move's Base Power will be 70 and the Accuracy will be 100%.
Z-Effect: 140 BP Z-Move
Intended Use(s): A deceptively powerful move that will punish the opponent who relies on powerful moves. Take notice that it can also copies the strongest move's Accuracy, so it may miss unless Gravity is on (read: Solrock and Lunatone, the two now potentially good in OU with Gravity Pull).

Bright Shield
Category
: Status
Effect: The user is protected from most attacks made by other Pokemon during this turn, and Pokemon trying to use non-contact move against the user have their Speed lowered by 2 stages. Non-damaging moves go through this protection. This move has a 1/X chance of being successful, where X starts at 1 and triples each time this move is successfully used. X resets to 1 if this move fails or if the user's last move used is not Baneful Bunker, Bright Shield, Detect, Endure, King's Shield, Protect, Quick Guard, Spiky Shield, Stargaze Shield or Wide Guard. Fails if the user moves last this turn.
Z-Effect: Clears user's negative stat changes.
Intended Use(s): We have King's Shield, we have Stargaze Shield, and now this, to bring problem for fast Special attackers like Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele (Scarfed or not) and Gengar.

Shine Boost
Category
Effect: Raise the user's Special Attack and Defense by 1 stage.
Intended Use(s): This will help a good amount of Special Attackers who have less than desirable Defense (or even an already good Defense) to set up sweep.

Glow Dance
Category
Effect: Raise the user's Attack, Defense and Speed by 1 stage.
Intended Use(s): The Physical counterpart of Quiver Dance, which would be really helpful for a few Sweepers.

Light Escape
Category
Effect: Lowers the target's Speed by 2 stages. If this move is successful, the user switches out even if it is trapped and is replaced immediately by a selected party member. The user does not switch out if there are no unfainted party members.
Z-Effect: Use Light Escape, and fully heal the replacement's HP.
Intended Use(s): A method of speed control and thus forces out the target's switching if slowing down would be too detrimental to keep the target in. Imagine the situation if this is being used by Volbeat and Illumise...

Light-type Z-Move Attack name: Nuclear Prisms

The retyped Moves will also get Light.

Hyper Beam
The user is not forced to recharge if it knocked the target out, like back in Gen 1. If it doesn't knock the target out, then the user have to recharge as usual.
Intended Use(s): Makes Hyper Beam (and its still unmodified variants) more reliable, or at least less crippling.

Light of Ruin
Base Power raised to 150, making it more in-line of Head Smash.
Intended Use(s): With Floette-Eternal inevitably becoming available in this Pet Mod, this move had to get more in-line of Head Smash.

Prismatic Laser
Instead of forcing the user to recharge, it will instead lower the Defense and Special Defense by 1.
Intended Use(s): Become much less crippling and become a quite stronger Special Attacking Light-type Close Combat that is thankfully kept for only Necrozma.

Light That Burns the Sky (Ultra Necrozma's Z-Move of Photon Geyser)
Also cleans off weathers and Terrains. Deactivate Desolate Land, Primordial Sea and Delta Stream until the target with any of those Ability to switch out.
Intended Use(s): Despite looking like a nuke, its only as powerful as Searing Sunrise Smash and Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom. An extra effect will help taking out Trick Room and Entry Hazards from the enemy.

Aurora Beam
80 BP, 30% chance of reducing the opponent's Attack by 1 stage.
Intended Use(s): A less annoying Scald variant in that the Attack decrease can be removed by switching out.

Signal Beam
Confuse the target if they have boosted stats by stages.
Intended Use(s): Punish a stat boosted threat to make up for its rather average power.

Flash, Spotlight, Confuse Ray, Photon Geyser, Morning Sun, Simple Beam, Tail Glow, Reflect, Light Screen
No changes.

Special Mention: Light Speed
Its literally called like this and nothing commonly known to humanity is faster than light. A more wide distribution would also be helpful.

Illuminate (Reworked pre-existing Ability)
Turn Normal-type moves into Light-type and boost them by x1.2.
Intended Use(s): Make Illuminate finally useful (in here).

Solar Strength
Light-type immunity; boost user's Attack by 1 stage if hit by one.
Intended Use(s): Have something that can aggressively counter Light-type attackers or to give a bad surprise to users of Light-type coverage.

Reflecting Body
Bounce back incoming Light-type moves to the user of these moves.
Intended Use(s): Makes a little more control to Light-type, especially if they become coverage.

Quick Flash
Light-type moves will have a +1 Priority when at 50% HP or above.
Intended Use(s): Light in real life is extremely fast, so how would you react from an upcoming laser beam? The trick is that it will not work if the user's HP is below 50%, so that one can't freely spam Hyper Beam (if buffed).

Keen Eye (Buffed pre-existing Ability)
Also grants immunity to Light-type; if the user is about to be hit by a Light-type move, it will instead raise Accuracy and Speed by 1 stage.
Intended Use(s): Gives Keen Eye a better reason to be used, with a possibility to make less accurate moves to hit more often.

Plate Name: Shiny Plate

Type Boosting Item Name: Big Quartz

Absorption Prism: If hit by a Light-type move, the user's higher Attack or Special Attack is increased by 2 stages. One-time.
Intended Use(s): Help a sweeper resistant to Light-type attacks to have a pre-package boost.

Hard-Light Vest: If the user had knocked out a Pokemon with a Light-type attack, its Attack and Defense are boosted by 1 stage.
Intended Use(s): Encourage physical attackers to use Light-type attacks. Reminder that almost all items like this can be Knocked Off, and unlike Moxie, it only works if you used a Light-type attack, nothing else.

Lot'so work I know.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Matchup
Offensive
2x: Dark, Ghost, Time, Bug, Flying
1/2x: Water, Fire, Space, Light

Defensive
2x: Grass, Steel, Space, Water
1/2x: Fairy, Time, Dark, Ghost, Light
0x: N/A

Yh so, here is my WIP type matchup for Light.
My general thought process? I made a type thats as flavourful as possible, while attempting to ease some of the trends that ironically made a lot of types more potent than in standard. (Looking at you, Dark)

Justification
So it hits Dark and Ghost types for super effectively as (its Dark type, duh) and Ghosts are shown to be creatures of darkness in fiction. Light hits Time super effectively because Light travels faster than anything that Time can possibly perceive. Light dunks on bugs because several families of bugs are shown to drawn to light, to the point of near hypnotism. Bright light is known to cause distraction for birds and other flying things. For resistances, Water reflects and refracts light, show it should have an easy advantage against it. Fire is naturally an illuminous object, so it naturally has an advantage over light (more on that later). Not even Light cannot escape the crushing gravity of a Black hole, a common feature of Space. Light cant really do anything to itself and is consistent with Elemental typings all resisting themselves (yeah consistency!). Grass gets the immunity for really balance reasons, but it fits perfectly as plants are not hurt by Light, they need it for daily sustenance.

Weakness wise Grass, Space and Water is the same reasoning, Steel gains a super effective hit as Steel is a reflective surface and reflects light. For resistances, Fairies are known for being somewhat light based creatures, so shouldnt be able to harm light based creatures. Everything else had a great explanation in offensive discussion.

Couple notes

Steel and Fire - Steel does not need resistances right now. What is does need are reasons to be used offensively, and gaining a type to hit super effectively does that well. The reverse is true for Fire, which has been getting a lot of flack weakness wise.

Electric - That type has already been getting subtle Ls throughout this mod's introduction - not enough to get a buff, but enough to not get another random nerf.

Dark and Ghost - Both of these types have been rather livid as of late in submissions, gaining types that they wreck defensively and offensively and Light is their perfect foil.

Also dont @ me about Bug weakness please, its like you forget these lowkey buffs the type has been getting.

Gonna make a move, item and ability post later and merge the two of them when im done (mod powers rule)

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
And yesI see how hypocritical the Dragon note is when using Dragon/Space as an example, but Space IS gonna get a positive matchup against Light whether you like or not anyways. At least Mega Latios wont now be walling half your team. :)

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
And yesI see how hypocritical the Dragon note is when using Dragon/Space as an example, but Space IS gonna get a positive matchup against Light whether you like or not anyways. At least Mega Latios wont now be walling half your team. :)
And Scarfed Palkia revenge killing Ultra Necrozma (if it become Light/Dragon or anything with Light) so hard the latter will feel it again in the next morning. Though Dialga might feel ded, first with no better HA and now a potential 4x from Light.

Light Speed
Typing
:

Category:

Effect: +2 priority. Makes contact.
Explanation/Niche: Light-type Extreme Speed.
We already have a winner move that is called Light Speed, and this one's Space-type. Maybe change it to Light Rush or something similar.

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Steel and Fire - Steel does not need resistances right now. What is does need are reasons to be used offensively, and gaining a type to hit super effectively does that well.
Not sure how I feel about the view on Steel resisting another type necessarily being a bad thing- Steel is already a very common type present in defensive cores and making it so that new types are only resisted by "weaker" defensive types just puts strain defensive backbones and generally makes offense more dominant. However, if an already popular defensive type already resists it it can allow for more colorful offensive coverage or better defensive prowess to make up for the shortcoming (see Dragon's wide range of resistances or Rock's large amount of super-effective targets and great synergy with other types).

For an example, it's pretty hard to argue that Fairy-type would be equally or less powerful in standard pokemon if it was resisted by, say, Ice or Bug instead of Steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)