OU Tyranitar

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell

Come and see.

[OVERVIEW]
*Tyranitar's Sand Stream provides a sandstorm for Excadrill and acts as an emergency stop against rain sweepers.
*Its Pursuit is extremely strong, being capable of removing threats such as Choice-locked Hoopa-U and Tapu Lele as well as as Latios, Xurkitree, Nihilego, Starmie, Alolan Marowak and even Genesect locked into the wrong move.
*With a Choice Band, it becomes a frightening wallbreaker.
*Rock / Dark is a rather poor typing defensively and grants it a lot of weaknesses, for example letting Psychic-types such as Mega Alakazam blow past it with Fighting-type coverage.
*Base 61 Speed is quite bad for an offensively minded Pokemon, meaning it is usually going to have to take a hit before moving.
*In a power creeping metagame full of new Fighting- and Fairy- types, Tyranitar is in general just struggling to keep up.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Pursuit
move 4: Superpower / Earthquake
item: Choice Band
ability: Sand Stream
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

*Stone Edge and Crunch provide dual STAB moves with stellar wallbreaking power and good neutral coverage, only missing out against a few Fighting- and Fairy- types that can be covered with the final move.
*Pursuit is outrageously powerful, being capable of OHKOing many neutral targets such as Tapu Lele as they switch out.
*The last moveslot can be customized to get past certain checks and counters.
*Superpower is able to OHKO Breloom while being Tyranitar's best option for hurting Bewear, and Keldeo.
*Earthquake gets past Magearna, Klefki, and Conkeldurr more easily. It also helps when attempting to revenge kill Electric Porygon-Z.
*Fire Punch can be used to knock out Scizor, and Ice Punch lets Tyranitar beat Gliscor, Landorus-T and Garchomp more easily, though these threats are pressured pretty hard by both of Tyranitar's STAB attacks as it is.

Set Details
========

*Maximum Attack EVs, a Choice Band, and an Adamant nature maximize Tyranitar's wallbreaking abilities.
*Maximum Speed EVs let Tyranitar outpace Modest Magnezone, Jolly Azumarill, fully defensive Skarmory, Landorus-T, Rotom-W, Heatran, and Mandibuzz, letting it avoid being stalled out, burned, or attacked first in a one-on-one situation.

Usage Tips
========

*Read the opponent's team, and ask yourself if they have a good switch-in to Tyranitar's power and if wallbreaking is needed to win. If this is the case, play around this, do not play loose with Tyranitar, and make an effort to create momentum that cleanly brings it in, and then start the barrage.
*Another role Choice Band Tyranitar can perform a team is trapping. Scout for Choice items and then try to bait certain Choice item users into locking themselves into the wrong moves so that Tyranitar can trap them.
*Leverage Tyranitar's trapping abilities to your advantage. For example, freely attack with Keldeo when the enemy has Latios, even if you have Stealth Rock on the field. The opponent will be reluctant to switch it in. Call the enemy Genesect's Choice Scarf Ice Beam bluff; often they will U-turn hoping you will switch out. Even if you lose that bet, Pursuit will nearly OHKO Genesect as it switches out.
*Try to conceal Tyranitar's set until it's necessary that you reveal it. Often you can bluff Choice Scarf or support sets and catch an enemy by surprise, dealing immense damage when they expected Stealth Rock.

Team Options
========

*Genesect and Pheromosa will often be brought in as checks. Being able to sponge their strong U-turns is valuable. Toxapex, Alolan Marowak, and Heatran can perform well here against what they respectively counter.
*Landorus-T is also a very good U-turn sponge. Although it may be threatened by Ice Beam, both Genesect and Pheromosa are often Choice item users and as such will be trapped by Tyranitar on the next turn should they KO Landorus-T.
*Heatran and Alolan Marowak are both good partners for another reason; Tyranitar is setup bait for Magearna, and both Heatran and Alolan Marowak are capable of switching into Magearna as it boosts and KOing it in return.
*Sand Rush Excadrill is an excellent partner, forming a strong wallbreaker + sweeper core. Tyranitar puts immense pressure on physically defensive keystones such as Landorus-T and Skarmory.
*Keldeo, Mega Charizard Y and Tapu Koko all appreciate Tyranitar's trapping talents, taking advantage of teams that rely on Marowak Alola, Latios or Latias to deal with these threats.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Superpower
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========
*Stone Edge hits the hardest of any move Tyranitar has access to and hits a few key Pokemon such as Charizard super effectively.
*Pursuit traps and KOes foes which Tyranitar can check.
*Superpower is able to revenge kill Bisharp and Terrakion and scores a strong neutral hit on Keldeo.
*Crunch hits some important Ghost- and Psychic-types super effectively and can be used in situations where Stone Edge's poor accuracy could be catastrophic.

Set Details
========

*Maximum Speed, a Choice Scarf and a Jolly nature are necessary for outpacing Starmie, Latios, Metagross, Thundurus, and other threats around the base 115 Speed mark
*Maximum Attack EVs maximize damage so that Tyranitar can be an effective revenge killer.

Usage Tips
========

*Set concealment and predating on the opponent's uncertainty should be used. Leading with Choice Scarf Tyranitar may fool the opponent into believing it is much slower.
*Aggressively switching into Pursuit-weak threats is encouraged, it is Choice Scarf Tyranitar's main function, as the extra Speed lets it perform its duty without worry about being 2HKOed.

Team Options
========

*Mega Charizard-Y, Tapu Koko, and Keldeo are strong attackers that will benefit the most from Tyranitar's trapping removing problematic Alolan Marowak, Latios, and Latias.
*Choice Scarf Tyranitar is U-turn bait. Heatran, Toxapex, and Volcanion again are good potential answers for Genesect. Toxapex also handles Pheromosa.
*Buzzwole eats up a lot of Fighting-, Steel-, Ground- and Bug-type attacks sent Tyranitar's way. They form a decent core of specially and physically defensive tanks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

*Dragon Dance is a rather poor option, as Tyranitar is simply too slow at +1 and has too many common checks and counters to ever be able to exceute a sweep.
*Babiri and Chople Berry can net surprise KOs such as Fire Blast against a Genesect or Scizor, and Crunch against Mega Alakazam, but the resources required and unreliability of this tactic make it fairly inefficient.
*An Assault Vest set might seem attractive, giving Tyranitar an outrageous Special Defense stat, however its inability to set Stealth Rock, heal, be fast, or hit particularly hard makes it simply ineffective.
*A Smooth Rock support set was a standard set in ORAS OU; however, with the advent of so many new offensive threats Tyranitar cannot deal with, it's rather poor when acting defensively.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types are Tyranitar's natural enemy, being resistant to both its STAB types and effortlessly OHKOing in return. Keldeo, Conkeldurr, Terrakion, Breloom, and Bewear are large threats, though they can be maimed by coverage moves quite heavily.

**Genesect and Pheromosa**: Though they cannot switch directly into Tyranitar, both force out Tyranitar and generate momentum effortlessly and do a lot of damage simultaneously. Without a good answer to these two, Tyranitar's team will suffer heavily.

**Steel-types**: Scizor, Ferrothorn and Magearna are serious challenges for Tyranitar and its team, being able to switch in and use dangerous set up moves. They must be careful of stray Fire-, Fighting-, and Ground-type coverage moves, however.

**Dedicated Physical Walls**: Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Skarmory, and Buzzwole, to name a few are usually capable of soaking up anything Tyranitar can throw at them and either KOing int or setting up entry hazards in return, though stray coverage moves and Choice Band-boosted STAB attacks will deal considerable damage.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

Any feedback is appreciated. I haven't had the chance to get to know all of Tyranitar's sets intimately just yet.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Without Tyranitarite I don't know if I would really use Dragon Dance. One of the few perks of the Speed gap is that you overcome a lot of the 120s+ Speed tier (Dugtrio). To be fair sadly Jolly MegaTar misses out on Mega Alakazam by 3 Speed points.

Ash Borer

Without Tyranitarite I don't know if I would really use Dragon Dance. One of the few perks of the Speed gap is that you overcome a lot of the 120s+ Speed tier (Dugtrio). To be fair sadly Jolly MegaTar misses out on Mega Alakazam by 3 Speed points.
Oops, I completely forgot it wasn't out yet. Yes it's irrelevant without Tyranitarite.

Last edited:
This is more of an opinion that's carried over from my experiences with Band-Tar from ORAS, but I'm really adamant about max speed Band being the standard. Max speed, even with an adamant nature, puts Tyranitar at 221 speed—this allows you to outpace defensive Landorus-T and Rotom-W with minimal speed investment, which allows Ttar to pressure them more effectively if need be (ie. attacking before they can either EQ or Will-O Ttar). That speed tier is extremely crowded, and I feel like you're missing out on Band's potential by investing potential speed in bulk that's likely to just get overpowered anyway.

Then again not QC so idk fam tbh imo

Ash Borer

This is more of an opinion that's carried over from my experiences with Band-Tar from ORAS, but I'm really adamant about max speed Band being the standard. Max speed, even with an adamant nature, puts Tyranitar at 221 speed—this allows you to outpace defensive Landorus-T and Rotom-W with minimal speed investment, which allows Ttar to pressure them more effectively if need be (ie. attacking before they can either EQ or Will-O Ttar). That speed tier is extremely crowded, and I feel like you're missing out on Band's potential by investing potential speed in bulk that's likely to just get overpowered anyway.

Then again not QC so idk fam tbh imo
It's certainly a good point, ill test it some more myself and wait for others to weigh in on it. I do agree with you preliminarily.

Oh, also, be sure to mention Landorus lacking Knock Off as a potential teammate. Lando without Knock struggles with Lati@s, so naturally it pairs well with Tar.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's certainly a good point, ill test it some more myself and wait for others to weigh in on it. I do agree with you preliminarily.
I feel it sort of depends but as far as like some random calculations:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 185-218 (54.2 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Surf vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 172-203 (50.4 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 185-218 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Surf vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 172-203 (46.9 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 182-218 (53.3 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 182-218 (49.7 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 254-300 (74.4 - 87.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 254-300 (69.3 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I mean there's a lot more calculations I can do, but it seems to be about a 4% durability increase with 100 EVs in HP. One small example was Dugtrio, and maybe low roll on Latios Surfs if no Stealth Rock is on the field.

Ash Borer

I removed Support Tar. It's just not functional in a metagame where the tops threats are Genesect, Pheromosa, Lele, Bulu, Metagross, Landorus, Manaphy, and other huge problems for it.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Oi.

Let's talk about Superpower.

Why? Like can't we put Earthquake in the first slash since at least it hits a lot more relevant mons atm with reliable accuracy and not cutting your Atk / Def?

I'd also give a nod to Aqua Tail even if OO. It's still not a bad move that can catch rare Hippowdons on the 2HKO and still can deter Landorus-T switch-ins (which speaking of so does Ice Punch).

Ash Borer

Im so drunj right now but honestly the last slot doesny matter too much. Its very ararely used amd more for sniping priority targets. I have been using band for like 100 games and never once clicked superpower

Also qc checks when? Wtf i hate qc now

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I literally have nothing to add since you covered everything so damn well (especially those Usage Tips for CB, hot damn)

Great work!

Oi.

Let's talk about Superpower.

Why? Like can't we put Earthquake in the first slash since at least it hits a lot more relevant mons atm with reliable accuracy and not cutting your Atk / Def?

I'd also give a nod to Aqua Tail even if OO. It's still not a bad move that can catch rare Hippowdons on the 2HKO and still can deter Landorus-T switch-ins (which speaking of so does Ice Punch).
Superpower's generally higher BP makes it a bit more useful than Earthquake, I feel. You're going to be using Crunch / Stone Edge / Pursuit the vast majority of the time, but it's nice to have that nuclear option against things like Ferrothorn, Chansey, Heatran and Bewear in addition to just destroying Breloom and Keldeo switch ins. Earthquake's most relevant target is Magearna, but it's not really a Pokemon Tyranitar should be taking on directly, and Superpower still does a ton to it if it switches in. I can definitely see Earthquake's appeal, but Superpower is the better option imo (plus the drop in offense's not too crippling since a CB Tar that's locked into a coverage move is switching out anyway)

p2

Banned deucer.
replace av with chople berry in oo, av is absolute dogshit horrible and should never ever ever ever be used

otherwise this is great 1/3

Looks pretty good, just expand on some points in the overview. For example, you'd rather tell the reader some specific threats that Tyranitar's typing leaves it vulnerable to. Same thing goes with the next point, mention that its speed causes it to be slower than a good majority of the metagame, which can cause CB to struggle versus offense. Also, unless the set nicknames are something notable like CroCune as an example, then I'd rather see them removed.

3/3

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
[OVERVIEW]

• Tyranitar's Sand Stream provides a sandstorm for Excadrill (RC) and acts as an emergency stop against rain sweepers.
  • Its Pursuit is extremely strong, being capable of ridding its team of removing threats such as Choice-locked (AH) Hoopa-U and Tapu Lele (RC) as well as as Latios, Xurkitree, Nihilego, Starmie, Alolan Marowak, (AC) and even Genesect locked into the wrong move.
  • With a Choice Band, (AC) it becomes a frightening wallbreaker.
  • Rock / Dark (spaces) typing is a rather poor typing defensively and grants it a lot of weaknesses, for example letting Psychic-types such as Mega Alakazam blow past it with Fighting-type coverage.
  • Base 61 base Speed is quite bad for an offensively minded Pokemon, (AC) meaning it can't even check weakened Pokemon that it is weak to. (weird wording, "that can hit it super effectively"? the point "super effective attackers that outspeed it" is there I guess, repetition of "weak" just makes it confusing)
  • In a power creeping metagame full of new Fighting- and Fairy- types, Tyranitar is in general just struggling to keep up.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Pursuit
move 4: Superpower / Earthquake
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

• Stone Edge and Crunch dual STAB provide dual STAB moves with stellar wall breaking wallbreaking power and good neutral coverage, only missing out against a few Fighting- and Fairy- types that can be covered with the final move.
  • Pursuit is outrageously powerful, being capable of OHKOing many neutral targets such as Tapu Lele as they switch out.
  • The last moveslot can be customized to get past certain checks and counters.
  • Superpower is able to OHKO Breloom while being Tyranitar's best option for hurting Bewear (RC) and Keldeo.
  • Earthquake gets past Magearna, Kelfki Klefki, (AC) and Conkeldurr more easily. It also helps when attempting to revenge kill Electric Porygon-Z.
  • Fire Punch can be used to knock out Scizor, and Ice Punch beats lets Tyranitar beat Gliscor, Landorus-T, (AC) and Garchomp more easily, though these threats are pressured pretty hard by both of Tyranitar's STAB attacks as it is.
Set Details
========

• Maximum Attack EVs, a Choice Band, (AC) and an Adamant nature maximize Tyranitar's wall breaking wallbreaking abilities.
  • Maximum Speed EVs outpaces let Tyranitar outpace Modest Magnezone, Jolly Azumarill, and fully defensive Skarmory, Landorus-T, Rotom-W, Heatran, and Mandibuzz, (AC) letting it avoid being stalled out, burned, (AC) or attacked first in a 1v1 one-on-one situation.
Usage Tips
========

• Read the opponent's team, and ask yourself if they have a good switch-in (AH) to Tyranitar's power and if wall breaking wallbreaking is needed to win. If this is the case, play around this, do not play loose with Tyranitar, and make an effort to create momentum that cleanly brings it in, and then start the barrage.
  • Another role Choice Band Tyranitar can perform a team is trapping. Scout for Choice items and then try and to bait certain Choice item users into locking themselves into the wrong moves so that Tyranitar can trap them.
  • Leverage Tyranitar's trapping abilities to your advantage. For example, freely attack with Keldeo when the enemy has Latios, even if you have Stealth Rocks Rock on the field. The enemy opponent will be reluctant to switch it in. Call the enemy Genesect's Choice Scarf Ice Beam bluff; (SC) often they will U-turn hoping you will switch out. Even if you lose that bet, Pursuit will nearly OHKO Genesect as it switches out.
  • Try to conceal Tyranitar's set until it's necessary that you reveal it. Often you can bluff Choice Scarf or support sets and catch an enemy by surprise, dealing immense damage when they expected Stealth Rock.
Team Options
========

• Genesect and Pheromosa will often be brought in as checks. Being able to sponge these their strong U-turns is valuable. Toxapex, Marowak-A Alolan Marowak, (AC) and Heatran can perform well here against what they respectively counter.
  • Landorus-T is also a very good U-turn sponge. Although it may be threatened by Ice Beam, both Genesect and Pheromosa are often Choice item users and as such will be trapped by Tyranitar on the next turn should they KO Landorus-T.
  • Heatran and Marowak-A Alolan Marowak are both good partners for another reason; Tyranitar is set up setup bait for Magearna, (AC) and both Heatran and Marowak-A Alolan Marowak are capable of switching into Magearna as it boosts and KOing it in return.
  • Sand Rush Excadrill is an excellent partner, (AC) forming a strong wallbreaker + sweeper core. Tyranitar puts immense pressure on physically defensive keystones such as Landorus-T and Skarmory.
  • Keldeo, (AC) and Mega Charizard Y, (AC) and Tapu Koko all appreciate Tyranitar's trapping talents, taking advantage of teams that rely on Latios or Latias to deal with these threats.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Superpower
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========
  • Stone Edge hits the hardest of any move Tyranitar has access to / on this set (pick one or add w/e, just making it less vague) and hits a few key Pokemon such as Charizard super effectively.
  • Pursuit traps and KOs KOes foes that which Tyranitar can check, an invaluable skill to any team.
  • Superpower is able to revenge kill Bisharp and Terrakion (RC) and scores a strong neutral hit on Keldeo.
  • Crunch hits some important Ghost- and Psychic-types super effectively and can be used in situations where Stone Edge's poor accuracy could be catastrophic.

Set Details
========

• Maximum Speed, a Choice Scarf, (AC) and a Jolly nature is are necessary for outpacing Starmie, Latios, Metagross, Thundurus, (AC) and other threats around the base 115 Speed mark
  • Maximum Attack EVs maximize damage so that Tyranitar can be an effective revenge killer.
Usage Tips
========

• Again, Set (cross-set reference-ish) concealment and predating on the opponent's uncertainty should be used. Leading with Choice Scarf Tyranitar may fool the opponent into believing it is much slower.
  • Aggressively switching into Pursuit-weak (AH) threats is encouraged; (SC) it is Choice Scarf Tyranitar's main function, as the extra Speed lets it perform its duty without worry about being 2HKO'd 2HKOed.
Team Options
========

• Mega Charizard Y, (RH) Tapu Koko, (AC) and Keldeo are strong attackers that will benefit the most from Tyranitar's trapping removing problematic Marowak-A, Alolan Marowak, Latios, (AC) and Latias.
  • Choice Scarf Tyranitar is U-turn bait. Heatran, Toxapex, and Volcanion again are good potential answers for Genesect. Toxapex also handles Pheromosa.
  • Buzzwole eats up a lot of Fighting-, Steel-, Ground-, (AC) and Bug-type attacks sent Tyranitar's way. They form a decent core of specially and physically defensive tanks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============
  • Dragon Dance is a rather poor option, (AC) as Tyranitar is simply too slow at +1 and has too many common checks and counters to ever be able to exceute a sweep.
  • A Focus Sash lead can surprise the opponent, though it's kind of crap mediocre against Genesect, (AC) who which is very pervasive common. (kinda awkward word choice. also not sure if i understood this properly but assumed the point is that you'd rather Pursuit trap it)
  • By that same token, (AC) items like Babiri Berry and Chople Berry can help net surprise KOs such as with Fire Blast against a Genesect or Scizor (RC) or and Crunch against Mega Alakazam, but the resources required and unreliability of this tactic make it fairly inefficient.
  • An Assault Vest set might seem attractive, giving Tyranitar's and outrageous Special Defense stat, however but its inability to set Stealth Rock, heal, be fast, (AC) or hit particularly hard makes it simply ineffective.
  • A Smooth Rock support set was a standard set in ORAS OU; (SC) however, (AC) with the advent of so many new offensive threats Tyranitar can not cannot deal with, it's rather poor when acting defensively.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types (AH) are Tyranitar's natural enemy, being resistant to both its Stabs STAB types and effortlessly OHKOing in return. Keldeo, Conkeldurr, Terrakion, Breloom, (AC) and Bewear are large threats, though they can be maimed by coverage moves quite heavily.

**Genesect and Pheromosa**: Though they can not cannot switch directly into Tyranitar, both force out Tyranitar and generate momentum effortlessly and do while doing a lot of damage simultaneously. Without a good answer to these two, Tyranitar's team will suffer heavily.

**Steel-types**: (AH) Scizor, Ferrothorn, (AC) and Magearna are serious challenge challenges for Tyranitar and its team, being able to switch in and use dangerous set up setup moves. They must be careful of stray Fire-, Fighting-, (AC) and Ground-type coverage moves, (AC) however.

**Dedicated Physical Walls**: Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Skarmory, (AC) and Buzzwole, (AC) to name a few, (AC) are usually capable of soaking up anything Tyranitar can throw at them and either KOing it or setting up entry hazards in return, though stray coverage moves and Choice Band-boosted STAB attacks will deal considerable damage.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)