ORAS Ubers UberLimits: Ubers Mono-Dark MK1

Volcaronite

formerly JCD
I thought it would be an interesting challenge to make a series of competitive Ubers teams that employ some of the limits of the "Other" metagame types that usually are limited to OU. I have done some testing with these teams against the standard Ubers metagame to see if they are even competitive in that ring before I post them here.
My first team is MonoDark. I chose Dark due to the generally good coverage that many Dark-type Pokemon get, as well as the prevalence of Psychic-type Pokemon like Lugia and Deoxys. I had to make a couple of strange choices for coverage's sake (and because, no matter which way you slice it, there's only 5 Dark-type Uber Pokemon), but here it is:

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Shadow Sneak
- Taunt
A standard Greninja suicide lead. The goal would be to set as many spikes as you can before you go, and you will go quickly. The type-changing is critical here, as a Fairy-type wall (read: Clefable) who could normally come close to shutting this team down will instead have to contend with a Poison-type as Greninja sets down Toxic Spikes. Taunt is there to shut down another setter-upper, and Shadow Sneak is there... just in case? It gives Greninja a little bite if it's forced to stay in or Taunted, but try to make that not happen.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Black Glasses
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
Now we're talking. This is a sort-of bulky set for Hoopa-U, which is focused on coverage. While Hoopa-U's Special Attack is slightly higher than its Physical Attack, this team has a lot of Special sets, and Hoopa-U's Physical Attack is more than passable. So, Hyperspace Fury is the obligatory STAB attack, which is supported by the Black Glasses for a 120 BP black hole of death. Knock Off is also boosted, and can throw a real wrench into would-be sweepers who rely on items. Gunk Shot is there solely for the extermination of Faries. Drain Punch will hopefully take out any competing members of the shadows as well as provide the slightest bit of recovery for Hoopa-U. To compliment this, after maxing out the Attack EVs, I put the rest into HP and Special Defense to give Hoopa-U a little more bulk.

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
Darkrai is mostly a big middle finger to Kyogre as well as any walls or Faries that may otherwise prove troublesome. Dark Void is a great activator for Bad Dreams, which will tick away at any monster in the way, while Darkrai is given the opportunity to set up with Nasty Plot. Dark Pulse is a solid Special STAB, and Thunder destroys the aforementioned Kyogre. After a few Nasty Plots, these two give Darkrai some sweeping potential.

Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Heat Wave
- Roost
Here's my counter to the ever-popular Fighting-types. After ridding the field of any stray Yveltals, my own will arrive to flex its wings and to get rid of those pesky boxers. Oblivion Wing is a fantastic STAB, as well as providing some massive recovery under the right circumstances. If it can't, then hopefully Yveltal will have the bulk to pull off a Roost and take back to the skies. Heat Wave is to counter anything Steel, as well as to help with the occasional Kyurem-W. Dark Pulse is there for the STAB damage, should it be necessary.

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Recover
- Refresh
Of course, Arceus-Dark would be in this set. You just didn't know how. Well, he's a Special wall with a real punch after a while. The goal is to Calm Mind as much as possible while sprinkling in some R&R with the aptly named Refresh and Recover. Do this for a while, and the opponent may take the chance to bring out a set-up sweeper. Tough luck for them, because those Calm Minds give Arceus's Judgement one of the hardest hits possible, especially against an offensive monster, even with minimal EV investment. Often times, even though it's defensively inclined, Arceus will prove to be the true sweeper.

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
Yeah, yeah, it's an OU monster. And you might wonder why I chose Bisharp over Tyranitar, especially since I don't have a Mega on this team. And to that, I would say "Dragons and Faries". While this team doesn't really have a problem with Dragons to begin with, it's good to have some wall against them. Plus, despite several preventative measures, the nature of a Mono-Dark team means the fear of Faries. So, Bisharp is here as a half-sweeper to take care of them. This Knock Off is special, because the nature and EV spread is designed to be able to outspeed a 44 EV Xerneas, so you get a chance to Knock off a Power Herb before a Geomancy starts. This will give you the opportunity to use an Iron Head for big damage. If you're really lucky, you might even be able to force a switch out and nab your opponent with a Pursuit. That Pursuit is important, actually, because it allows for some switch forcing all around. Switch into Bisharp whenever you see a Moonblast or any Fairy move coming, then get the double Pursuit damage as they switch out. Finally, Stone Edge is there to get rid of anything winged.

While using this team, I have had ~60% success. I would love some feedback on not only this team, but the idea of these UberLimits teams in general. Thanks!

Last edited:

mags

Banned deucer.
yo dope squad. since u chillen with mono dark i suggest u run ttar>bisharp for ur pursuit trapper cause it also gives u an ok burd check (mmence/hooh) and it will also give you a sr setter. stay real brother.

magsy right. You see you have to Greninja with Spikes + TSpikes not come wrong remove Bisharp by Tyranitar. With the user already you have more security before Stealth Rock MMence, Ho-oh. But beware of possible Earthquake. Monodark great, man. Then I will / will try more than one set, although I personally like the Chople Berry mara soften the damage type fight.

Tyranitar @
/

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit / Low Kick
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave / Roar

Perhaps you not give results as the second option, but meets the ide of what is asked, catch Latios / Latias, Mewtwo. + Pursuit. Berry gives peace of mind to launch Stealth Rock.

Tyranitar @

Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave

This version I have in one of my team ubers. Usually because it is very weak to fight carrying Berry does not quite fit the physical side, but very useful if the special side, there can do something. There is much spam earth movement / struggle, so both sets are good. It is also depends on what look / be best for the team. MGengar does not like this.

Focus Sash over Black Glasses on Hoopa-U to survive +2 geoxern and kill it with Gunk Shot (and you can steal something after the sash is used thanks to Magician)
Max speed max attack Adamant
:]

Volcaronite

formerly JCD
magsy right. You see you have to Greninja with Spikes + TSpikes not come wrong remove Bisharp by Tyranitar. With the user already you have more security before Stealth Rock MMence, Ho-oh. But beware of possible Earthquake. Monodark great, man. Then I will / will try more than one set, although I personally like the Chople Berry mara soften the damage type fight.

Tyranitar @
/

Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit / Low Kick
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave / Roar

Perhaps you not give results as the second option, but meets the ide of what is asked, catch Latios / Latias, Mewtwo. + Pursuit. Berry gives peace of mind to launch Stealth Rock.

Tyranitar @

Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave

This version I have in one of my team ubers. Usually because it is very weak to fight carrying Berry does not quite fit the physical side, but very useful if the special side, there can do something. There is much spam earth movement / struggle, so both sets are good. It is also depends on what look / be best for the team. MGengar does not like this.

I have spent the last few day using this change, and while I have succeded against some teams I may not have in the past (i.e. Flying-types) I have not been any more successful. That is because this Tyranitar loses the Fairy defense that my Bisharp had going for it.
Is there anything to be done about that, or is it just a "lesser of two evils" situation?

Volcaronite

formerly JCD
Focus Sash over Black Glasses on Hoopa-U to survive +2 geoxern and kill it with Gunk Shot (and you can steal something after the sash is used thanks to Magician)
Max speed max attack Adamant
:]

Used this change over the past few days: it's a lifesaver. Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)