Ubers Ubers Classic IV - Won by Sitonai

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader

Standings

Welcome to the Ubers Classic IV playoffs!
We now have the top 16 contestants that have battled it out across 5 Cups of our older generations to earn enough points to make it here, and we're now ready to see who's our best old gens player. I'd like to thank our cup hosts Blim Mysterious M Ismakhil Staxi LaBalladeDesCieux for letting us get to this point!

Let's get the boring stuff out the way:

Tournament Rules:
  • General tournament rules and regulations can be found here.
  • Replays are mandatory for this tournament and must be posted! It is recommended to play on the Smogon Tournaments server due to its ability to automatically save replays. Failure to do so will result in games having to be replayed.
  • All series played will be a best of five with the higher seed choosing the first metagame out of the following: USM, ORAS, BW2, DPP, and ADV. The loser of that game will then pick the next tier, and so on until the series is complete. Be aware that metagames cannot be repeated during a series!
  • Matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown! (smogtours take priority over main, unless there's an issue on smogtours making it not feasible to play - in that case, playing on main is acceptable)
  • Do not make baseless activity posts, get in contact with your opponent and report missed times / scheduling issues only.
  • Standard clauses apply.
  • All the usual Smogon rules regarding activity, timer, disconnection, and cheating rules apply.
Metagame Specific Rules:

• Species Clause: A player cannot have two Pokemon with the same PokeDex number on his team.
  • Evasion Clause: Evasion Clause: The moves Double Team and Minimize are banned. (No other evasion boosting things are banned). The exception to this is BW Ubers
  • OHKO Clause: The moves Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, and Fissure are banned.
  • Endless Battle Clause: Anything capable of intentionally creating an endless battle is banned.
  • Sleep Clause
  • SleepTrap Clause: A Pokemon cannot use a move that can inflict sleep status on the opponent if it has the ability Shadow Tag.
  • Rayquaza is not permitted to Mega Evolve.
  • The move Baton Pass is banned.

• Species Clause: A player cannot have two Pokemon with the same PokeDex number on his team.
  • Evasion Clause: The moves Double Team and Minimize are banned. (No other evasion boosting things are banned).
  • OHKO Clause: The moves Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, and Fissure are banned.
  • Endless Battle Clause: Anything capable of intentionally creating an endless battle is banned.
  • Moody Clause
  • Sleep Clause
  • Swagger Clause: Swagger is banned
  • SleepTrap Clause: A Pokemon cannot use a move that can inflict sleep status on the opponent if it has the ability Shadow Tag.
  • Rayquaza is not permitted to Mega Evolve.

• Sleep Clause Mod: Limit one foe put to sleep
  • Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokémon
  • Moody Clause: Moody is banned
  • OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
  • Endless Battle Clause: Forcing endless battles is banned

• Evasion Clause: The moves Double Team and Minimize are banned. (No other evasion boosting things are banned).
  • Sleep Clause

• Sleep Clause Mod: Limit one foe put to sleep
  • Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokémon
  • OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
  • Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned
  • Endless Battle Clause: Forcing endless battles is banned
  • Wobbuffet / Wynaut + Leftovers is banned
  • Smeargle + Ingrain is banned

Here are our qualifiers!

SeedPlayerPointsWin rate
1​
byronthewellwell​
30​
86.96%​
2​
Pohjis​
18​
76.47%​
3​
dream​
17​
75%​
4​
SoulWind​
16​
91.67%​
5​
SiTuM​
15​
72.22%​
6​
Sitonai​
13​
68.75%​
7​
Evuelf​
12​
70.59​
8​
SparksBlade​
12​
66.67%​
9​
Staxi​
11​
66.67%​
10​
Kebabe​
9​
100%​
11​
Lord Thorx​
9​
77.78%​
12​
Ismakhil​
9​
66.67%​
13​
PurpleGatorade​
8​
75%​
14​
LaBalladeDesCieux​
8​
66.67%​
15​
Skysolo​
8​
61.54%​
16​
loving1096​
7​
71.43%​
16​
l'habitat​
7​
62.50%​
16​
Highlord​
7​
54.55%​

Notes:

Seeding is determined by the following criteria (in order):
- Total Points
- Win Ratio
- Highest points in a single cup
- Coinflip

For qualification, only points are used.
loving1096, l'habitat, and Highlord are tied for the 16th spot, and will a round robin tiebreak Bo5 ADV DPP BW ORAS USM, and the winner will qualify as the 16th seed for playoffs. While loving1096 hasn't confirmed their desire to participate in the playoffs, it won't be an issue if they say no, since Highlord and l'habitat would still have to play a tiebreak.
Tiebreak
Highlord
vs loving1096
Game 1 Game 2 Game 3 Game 4

Round 1

byronthewellwell (#1) vs Highlord (#16)

Pohjis (#2) vs Skysolo (#15)

dream (#3) vs LaBalladeDesCieux (#14)
(Game 1 replay didn't save due to some error, here is the downloaded file of the game)Game 1 Game 2 Game 3 Game 4 Game 5

SoulWind (#4) vs PurpleGatorade (#13)

SiTuM (#5) vs Ismakhil (#12)
Game 1 Game 2 Game 3

Sitonai (#6) vs Lord Thorx (#11)

Evuelf (#7) vs Kebabe (#10)

SparksBlade (#8) vs Staxi (#9)
Game 1 Game 2 Game 3

Finals
(#4) SoulWind vs Sitonai (#6)
Game 1 Game 2 Game 3 Game 4 Game 5

Tiebreak deadline is Monday, May 25th
Round 1 deadline is Sunday, May 31st
You must save and post your replays for the matches to count!

Good luck to everyone!​

Last edited:

Staxi

Staxoat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
byronthewellwell vs (loving1096 vs l'habitat vs Highlord) - Is french
Pohjis vs Skysolo - They aren't french
dream vs laballadedescieux - Is french
Soulwind vs PurpleGattorade - They aren't french
SiTuM vs Ismakhil - "We randomly picked: situm"
Sitonai vs Lord Thorx - Is french
Evuelf vs Kebabe - Is french
SparksBlade vs Staxi - I'm french

For real, gl everyone!

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Cynara doing some predicts? what has the world come to

byronthewellwell (#1) vs (loving1096 vs l'habitat vs Highlord) (#16) - I think Highlord is honestly the stronger player out of the three bestowed upon me, loving seems to only play oras which leaves him at a huge disadvantage in the tiebreak so I would give an edge to L'habitat or Highlord to make it through. Highlord is clearly more versed in old gens than the other two so I feel he will qualify here. Byron has really blown up recently and hes been on a tear in the cups and I feel like that will extend to playoffs and this will be truly his breakthrough tournament.

Pohjis (#2) vs Skysolo (#15) - Hyvää iltaa. This is a tough one because Skysolo is obviously a fantastic player and when hes focused, one of the top Ubers players. The USM series will be on my highlight list for USM games and this pairing is a highlight overall. Sadly, Pohjis is Pohjis. Pohjis has a huge wealth of experience at this level in his favour, both players have good knowledge of every gen, I think Skysolo's strategy is to snub a game and work off the momentum given to him, but obviously I still expect Pohjis to take it. This series will probably boil down to all 5 games and Im looking forward to it greatly.

1590015210506.png

As much as our resident moderator whines when he gets haxed in Pokemon or his opponent beat him up in Madden/Fifa, we still love him. I feel like dream is very motivated in this tour despite a poor unlucky start in some cups, but still managed to score a fantastic 3rd place spot. Im unsure about LBDC I assume they're french and a good USM Player so I'd give them a edge in USM. Dream has clearly got better at BW given his most recent showing and attitude change towards the gen, I expect him to edge it out in ORAS, BW and DPP, ADV is also another very feasible victory but all french players have Exiline adv teams at their disposal.

SoulWind (#4) vs PurpleGatorade (#13) - My reasoning for this is simple, Soulwind is one of the top players on the site and someone I look forward to, Purplegatorade has the advantage in USM Ubers, but I feel like Soulwinds skill ceiling and ability in BW-ADV will be too overwhelming for PG to edge it out, but an upset is possible.

Not sure who i'd give the advantage to, SiTuM is rather tilt prone if something goes downhill for him, but I feel like he is the better player, Ismakhil does have good prowess in old gens and is a good up and comer in tournaments to see, hoping to see him do well here.

Sitonai (#6) vs Lord Thorx (#11) - Sitonai is a french weeb, a dangerous combination in the ubers community, I don't have much to say here. Lord Thorax I don't much about and Im not too keen on them after a recent series. Looking forward to see Sitonai finally play in classic playoffs, especially after his BW Ubers run cutting it extremely close against Kebabe of all players.

Evuelf (#7) vs Kebabe (#10) - another highlight game that could go either way, the titans of the BW Ubers Metagame themselves and will be my BW game to watch of the round. Kebabe is honestly a very high skill ceiling player but Im not sure what his knowledge of USM is like, whetheras Evuelf has shown himself to be strong in all 5 generations of Ubers.

SparksBlade (#8) vs Staxi (#9) - I will start this off by saying, Sparks is a very good player!!!! the only disadvantage seems to be his nerves when playing under pressure or at the highest level and I really want him to win this, despite this Staxi seems to keep himself more collected in games and I have to give a slight edge to him, but this is definately worth the watch.

Last edited:

64 Squares

Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push miracle whips
is a Tiering Contributor
I don't really feel like doing written up predicts but I guess I'll just do a whole bracket. (RIP March Madness)

Sweet 16:
byronthewellwell (#1) vs (loving1096 vs l'habitat vs Highlord) (#16)

Elite 8:
Byron vs Staxi
Pohjis vs Kebabe
Dream vs Sitonai
Souldwind
vs Ismakhil

Final 4 (this is when it gets tough, I think all these 4 could legitimately win the whole thing)
Byron vs Soulwind
Pohjis vs Sitonai

Championship:
Byron vs Pohjis: Going into classic I probably would've said Pohjis was the favorite but I cant really argue with how dominant Byron has been performing in the cups, so Byron to win it all.

Time for some real predictions:
byronthewellwell (#1) vs (loving1096 vs l'habitat vs Highlord) (#16) - The playoff spot isnt as clear as it looks like, L'Habitat could beat Highlord. He had a great ADV run and his SM is decent as well, while Highlord has the clear edge in DPP and is in general the better player. However, I think each of them will lose to Byron. Thewellwell is in a great form, showing great results in every tier he touches at the moment. Right now he is one of my favorites to win the whole tour.
Pohjis (#2) vs Skysolo (#15) - This is definitely the highlight series of round 1, especially the USM on will be interesting to watch. I saw some good ADV matches from solo, but Pohjis is overall one of the best, if not the best, ubers player of the last few years in my eyes. His tierknowledge from gen 3 to 7 is amazing and i see him favored in dpp, bw and oras.
dream (#3) vs LaBalladeDesCieux (#14) - Dream is just on another level, because of him i started playing Ubers. He is the R9 of Pokemon and will easily win the whole Classic without dropping a single game.
SoulWind (#4) vs PurpleGatorade (#13) - I dislike Soulwind as a person, which is not a secret. But I have massive respect for his performances. He has the clear edge in ADV and DPP, while PG will take USM. I havent seen a lot BW and ORAS from both players, but SW is overall the best player in tour. So I think he will advance to the next round.
SiTuM (#5) vs Ismakhil (#12) - This is a pretty close baguette fight, im disappointed if I dont see any web team. I bold Ismakhil because I know his ADV luck skills.
Sitonai (#6) vs Lord Thorx (#11) - I remember when Sitonai was new to Pokemon and signed up for the Ubers Major League on Pokemon Online to play OU lolol what a noob. But this was years ago and since then he turned into a great ubers player who can play multiple gens on a high level. I give him the clear edge here.
Evuelf (#7) vs Kebabe (#10) - The USM match between Pohjis vs PG is the highlight of the round, but the BW match vs Evuelf and Kebabe is something im really looking for too. In a BW series i would bold always bold Kebabe, but Evuelf plays every single gen on a high level. Next to Byron and Pohjis he is one of my favorites to win classic.
SparksBlade (#8) vs Staxi (#9) - Wait, how did Sparksblade get into playoffs? Im kinda surprised and check the standings rn to see where he got his points from. Okay enough joking. Sparks is solid in DPP and ORAS, but i have absolutely no idea how good he is in the other gens. I expect an awful BW game, Staxi taking ADV and then it will come down to USM, where I think Staxi has the edge.

armchair general here to predict crust gen results

byronthewellwell (#1) vs (loving1096 vs l'habitat vs Highlord) (#16)

In terms of the tiebreaker I think Highlord has the advantage, but I wouldn't discount l'habitat who's had some good runs this classic. byron's been tearing it up and in a best of 5 it should be a win for him regardless of the tiebreaker winner.

I think this series is really even. Pohjis has the experience advantage but Skysolo has been getting involved in all the other classic tiers recently to the point I think Pohjis is capable of losing games in any of the generations against him. big week highlight

THIRD seed??? what's going on here...

dream's biggest enemy is himself so I could see him dropping a game and tilting away a close 3-2 loss or something. I'm impressed by LBDC's run but dream does actually know all these generations at a better level so i think he wins.

PG is favored in USM and could probably take a favorable game of ORAS, but SoulWind is very likely to beat him in the other 3 gens and can't be slept on in the other 2 due to his overall skills and experience, so I think this is lopsided.

I could definitely be wrong here as both of them have experience across the gens, but I think SiTuM should take USM and BW and that means Ismakhil has to work to take the other 3.

Sitonai should take this based on experience, but unfortunately I'm not too familiar with Lord Thorx to comment further.

This is a really good matchup. Kebabe is a dominant BW2 player, yes but he's also got Hack support and showed he can pick things up quickly (Most Wanted) which helps to close this gap in the other gens. Evuelf shouldn't underestimate him.

This was a surprise to see. If SparksBlade stops thinking so hard he can take favorable matchups but over a 5 game series I'd worry about his nerves, so I'll give it to Staxi and be pleasantly surprised if Sparks takes it.

remember to have fun folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)