Ubers Leads - A compilation

This is meant to be collaborative... everyone is welcome to contribute and discuss. Combinations agreed to be good will be added to the OP.

So, first off... and introduction. This looks to be the first actual constructive thread I post here, so any feedback is appreciated. I know that peeps who spend all day in the WiFi forum are generally looked down upon, and I don't want to be one of those people. So time for something constructive. I'm still fairly new to all this, and although my WiFi record is a decent 20-13, I'm not satisfied with where I'm at in regards to my knowledge of the metagames and my contribution to the community.

Ubers is something I've been looking into a lot lately, since it's a "love-it-or-hate-it" gambit, and so far I've been loving it. Of course, I've generally gotten my ass handed to me and been shut down by...
1) Trick Room
2) Dark Void
However, this got me thinking about possible revisions to these strategies and ways to counter them, which is what competitive Pokémon is all about. I decided the place to start learning more about Ubers and forming more competitive teams is where all battles start... Leads. So, without further ado, here is what hopes to be a collaborative effort to identify and suggest effective Ubers leads, for both Single and Double battles.

Double Battles

Exploding Mewtwo + Life Orb Deoxys
Mewtwo @ Choice Scarf, Lv.50; Hasty Nature
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SpAtk
Selfdestruct, Trick, Thunder, Aura Sphere

Deoxys-A @ Life Orb, Lv.50; Hasty Nature
4 Atk, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe
Protect, Superpower, Ice Beam, Taunt

This is a combo I've been thinking about for awhile. I know I'm not exactly a pioneer of the Selfdestruct+Protect combo to say the least, but using Choice Scarf Exploding Mewtwo in combination with an otherwise normal Life Orb Deoxys set can be truly deadly. Choice Scarf on Mewtwo can be hugely detrimental when going up against the likes of Dusknoir or other Selfdestruct-resistant Pokémon, but it's a huge thread against anything else. Supposing the opponent doesn't anticipate the Selfdestruct/Protect combo on Mewtwo and Deoxys, this will often result in both the opponent's Leads being KO'd immediately and a Life Orb Deoxys, a major threat in and of itself, being left on the field to sweep uncontrolled.

As for the other attacks utilized by the set, Selfdestruct is obviously the move of choice to take out any opening combos that don't resist it, since it KOs two-for-one. Trick can be used on anything that resists Selfdestruct, such as Dialga, serving the dual function of freeing up Mewtwo and locking down the opponent. The ever great Taunt can completely fuck over wall teams based around setting up several layers of Spikes, etc., while generally being a good choice. The rest of Mewtwo and Deoxys' sets are basically ensuring near-complete type coverage; Thunder hits Kyogre, Ice Beam hits the dragons that plague Ubers, and Superpower/Aura Sphere take out Darkrai, a major threat to Mewtwo.

Exploding Mewtwo + Life Orb Rayqaza
Mewtwo @ Lum Berry, Lv.50; Hasty Nature
252 SpAtk, 252 Spe, 4 Atk
Aura Sphere, Taunt, Ice Beam, Selfdestruct

Rayquaza @ Life Orb, Lv.50; Naive Nature
40 Atk, 252 SpAtk, 216 Spe
Dragon Claw, Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, ExtremeSpeed

This combo, suggested by Alakapimp, is obviously solid. Alaka pointed out that Mewtwo is already ridiculously fast without Scarf, so it's somewhat unnecessary. Rayquaza can be a viable alternative to Deoxys, as ExtremeSpeed cripples Kyogre's Water Spout and Rayquaza obviously has superior defenses to Deoxys.

This set is also considerably less risky than the Protect+Explode set, since it doesn't risk getting locked into an ineffective move, and it's not subject to being fucked over by double-Protect anticipation. Although the payoff can be lesser, this is really a more consistent combo than the Scarf Mewtwo option.

I'd like to know what everyone else thinks about the viability of these combos, and, of course, please suggest more to be added to this OP. I still lack a firm grasp of viable ubers leads.

Single Battles
(none... hopefully we'll have some soon.)

Thanks, everyone! I'm hoping to get this rolling!

Well, the singles lead metagame is fairly well documented, so there's not much need for discussion about it. But regarding doubles, there is comparatively little discussion about it, so instead this thread is probably best turned into a discussion about Ubers doubles.

Still, the decision is up to the mods. Just my thoughts.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mewtwo should have trick to cripple set up that you can't boom on (dialga, dusky)

As far as scarf exploder + pokemon goes, its really not a reliable strategy as all to often your opponent will protect turn one. If you attack your locked into that which can be difficult in doubles because it leaves you open to easy protect predictions. If you explode you lost Mewtwo in a rather futile attempt.

Mewtwo is so fast to start with that the Scarf is only really helpful against Scarf Darkrai and Scarf Kyogre. By simply putting a Lum Berry on Mewtwo and carrying Aura Sphere (which you should have anyway) you can beat Darkrai leads. That leaves you only open to Scarf Kyogre, therefore I think a Rayquaza makes a good partner. Extreeme Speed hurts Kyogre and cripples Water Spout and if it locks itself in Ice Beam its much less threatening. Also Aura Sphere + Protect / Extreeme Speed + whatever, beats Scarf Darkrai without anything falling asleep.

So in summary I would revamp your leads to:

Mewtwo @ Lum Berry
Hasty
252 Speed / 252 Spatk / 4 Atk
-Aura Sphere
-Taunt
-Ice Beam
-Selfdestruct

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Naive
40 Atk / 252 Spatk / 216 Speed
-Dragon Claw
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Extreeme Speed

what about a medicham deoxys-A combo? it would be incredibly risky, but medicham could be holding a scarf, and KO the pokemon that posed a bigger threat to Deoxys. Deoxys would use skill swap, and then rip through the opponent's team with an attack stat of 918. The sets could be something like-

Medicham @ Choice Scarf
252 atk/ 252 spd/ 4 HP
Jolly

Ice Punch
Thunder Punch
Hi Jump Kick
Filler (Giga Impact?)

The only reason Giga Impact could be viable is this Medicham is meant to die anyway, just not before Deoxys can skill swap.

Deoxys-A @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
252 atk/ 252 spd/ 4 HP
Naive

Superpower
Extreme Speed
Ice Punch
Skill Swap

Well, the singles lead metagame is fairly well documented, so there's not much need for discussion about it. But regarding doubles, there is comparatively little discussion about it, so instead this thread is probably best turned into a discussion about Ubers doubles.

Still, the decision is up to the mods. Just my thoughts.
That's fine with me. I'll take care of refining it into a pure Ubers Doubles discussion later.

Mewtwo should have trick to cripple set up that you can't boom on (dialga, dusky)

As far as scarf exploder + pokemon goes, its really not a reliable strategy as all to often your opponent will protect turn one. If you attack your locked into that which can be difficult in doubles because it leaves you open to easy protect predictions. If you explode you lost Mewtwo in a rather futile attempt.

Mewtwo is so fast to start with that the Scarf is only really helpful against Scarf Darkrai and Scarf Kyogre. By simply putting a Lum Berry on Mewtwo and carrying Aura Sphere (which you should have anyway) you can beat Darkrai leads. That leaves you only open to Scarf Kyogre, therefore I think a Rayquaza makes a good partner. Extreeme Speed hurts Kyogre and cripples Water Spout and if it locks itself in Ice Beam its much less threatening. Also Aura Sphere + Protect / Extreeme Speed + whatever, beats Scarf Darkrai without anything falling asleep.

So in summary I would revamp your leads to:

Mewtwo @ Lum Berry
Hasty
252 Speed / 252 Spatk / 4 Atk
-Aura Sphere
-Taunt
-Ice Beam
-Selfdestruct

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Naive
40 Atk / 252 Spatk / 216 Speed
-Dragon Claw
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Extreeme Speed
Sounds good. I'll add that to the list (later) and make note that my initial combo is probably outclassed by this one. I'll also rephrase your summary of the combo and put that in there. Note that everyone who makes substantial contributions will be credited in the OP.

what about a medicham deoxys-A combo? it would be incredibly risky, but medicham could be holding a scarf, and KO the pokemon that posed a bigger threat to Deoxys. Deoxys would use skill swap, and then rip through the opponent's team with an attack stat of 918. The sets could be something like-

Medicham @ Choice Scarf
252 atk/ 252 spd/ 4 HP
Jolly

Ice Punch
Thunder Punch
Hi Jump Kick
Filler (Giga Impact?)

The only reason Giga Impact could be viable is this Medicham is meant to die anyway, just not before Deoxys can skill swap.

Deoxys-A @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
252 atk/ 252 spd/ 4 HP
Naive

Superpower
Extreme Speed
Ice Punch
Skill Swap
The biggest question I have... why Medicham as opposed to any other sweeper with higher base stats and an equally diverse movepool?

The point of the combo was skill swap. Deoxys-A skill swaps with medicham, and recieves huge power.

Yeah, until Shoddy 2 there's no way to step beyond the theorymon (there's a pun in there somewhere) and see if these kinds of things actually work on a big scale.

Please, no 2 vs 2 combos until Shoddy 2 comes out!
...Why not simply discuss these ideas for WiFi play? Many of us still exclusively use WiFi to battle as opposed to Shoddy or other battle simulators. You're the boss, but I don't see why we should be limited to discussing Shoddy possibilities and playing styles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)