Metagame Ubers Metagame and Set Discussion v3 - The Isle of Armor

Nayrz

is a member of the Site Staffis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Ubers Leader

- Discussion should only be focused around SS Ubers and its metagame. No national dex stuff.
- Discussion should only be focused around what is currently (or recently announced will be) available! Theorymon on the upcoming DLC are a no go in here until it arrives.
- Follow the rules, and keep things peaceful.
- Questions go here.
- Other generations discussion goes here.
The Isle of Armor has released and is playable on Pokemon Showdown - minus some movepool oddities and other bugs. Let's cover some ground:

Notable New Pokemon

- Urshifu
- Magearna
- Skarmory
- Volcarona
- Tangrowth
- Chansey / Blissey
- Magnezone
- Alakazam
- Various new Gigantamax formes

The list above isn't exhaustive, the DLC added 100 new Pokemon that may find a place in the metagame and this thread hopes to highlight them.

The Isle of Armor also brought new tutor moves and added new moves to various Pokemon! Check out the distribution here and feel free to highlight their impact to SS Ubers in this thread.

This thread will be the main area to discuss new sets and metagame perspectives for the DLC. As everyone is still picking up on things and bugs are being worked on, be sure to double check the accuracy of anything before you post!

Urshifu @ Life Orb
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Wicked Blow
- Dig / Poison Jab / Sucker Punch

Completely broken on webs, it destroys everything if you're not faster and you can't even use Protect to stall dynamax because of Unseen Fist.

Eternatus @ Power Herb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 92 Def / 240 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Meteor Beam
- Dynamax Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Recover

Interesting add for Eternatus, Meteor Beam gives it a way of boosting its Special Attack and a good offensive move for Mandibuzz.

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poltergeist
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Bulk Up

I'm pretty sure everyone already knows the tech, but I still wanted to include it. The boost of power from Spectral Thief to Poltergeist is interesting as stealing boosts is clearly not as relevant in SS as it was in USUM, mainly because Arceus isn't here (yet? o_o)

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Psychic / Expanding Force / Psyshock

Also a very dangerous threat on webs, Expanding Force could be fun with the Psychic Terrain that Max Mindstorm gives.

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature / Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

Another stupid mon that abuses Dynamax. Chansey/Blissey and Talonflame are its only checks. Ban Dynamax.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast / Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Fleur Cannon / Flash Cannon

I doubt an offensive set would work in ubers since it's walled by too many things (Dusk-Mane, Rotom-Heat and also Ferrothorn, Toxapex, Excadrill depending on the set etc) but a defensive set could be cool for Lunala, Kyurem-Black or Eternatus.

Last edited:
Stall is pretty potent in this meta and with that in mind I have a magearna set which I think is the best one:

:Magearna:
Magearna @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt/Aura Sphere/Energy Ball
- Draining Kiss/Pain Split

This set very easily snowballs, as calm mind + steelspikes makes you impossibly difficult to break especially with a free turn or two. Flash Cannon is the star of the set as it lets you buff your defense up. Thunderbolt hits Corviknight the hardest while hitting other targets like NDM for ok damage. Aura Sphere can be used instead for Excadrill or Ferrothorn. Energy Ball has a cool dmax effect while allowing you to OHKO quaggy. Draining Kiss (in dynamax) allows you to break through Quagsire and offers healing, but with that you cannot break through Confide Seismic Chans/Bliss. Pain Split lets you beat those on the other hand but yeah you lose to Quag. You can also run Draining Kiss + Flash Cannon + Pain Split to primarily break chansye/quag stall. I think this is a top tier mon. It also checks Dragapult and Kyurem-Black which is just insane.

:Tangrowth:
Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic / Leech Seed
- Earthquake

This is a good set which just generally annoys teams very much. Unfortunately Assault Vest SpDef is just way too passive even though it pivots on specs Lunala.

I'll edit in more sets as I play but I definitely really prefer this meta to pre DLC 1, post dyna banlist meta.

Just going to dump the brainless Fullpass I built and played today to some success despite being bad feat. Magearna.
It gets what? (Magearna) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Baton Pass
I wanted to build with BP Magearna, and this is pretty good. It can restart the chain if something goes wrong with Shift Gear, gather boosts with Calm Mind, sweep with Stored Power and Soul-Heart, or just be a generally tanky mon. It's a great glue mon that can do a lot as the battle goes on and gives a lot of redundancy.
I'm so sorry (Scolipede) @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Iron Defense
- Protect
Standard BP lead. Scolipede is way better than Ninjask and Iron Defense is good. Not much more to say.
BAN ME (Espeon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Substitute
Standard Espeon. Required on Fullpass. This is the only sweeper with a way to hit Darks, which is deliberate.
What now? (Mew) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Stored Power
- Encore
- Calm Mind
Mew stacks types a bit, but I think the unpredictability and redundancy it offers is worth it. You can fit literally anything you want on its set,but I went with Calm Mind Stored Power as a backup sweeper. Encore is a great move here, if you BP Mew into something using a status move, that's free setup. Mew has loads more options like Ammesia, Taunt, every coverage move ever, and so on. You can even use him to fit hazards or hazard removal if you want.
Denied (Mr. Mime) @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
Standard Mr. Mime. Required to have a chance vs Perish Song and Roar. Not that great otherwise tbh, it lacks bulk big style.
Ouch (Umbreon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Wish
- Taunt
This is the reason I don't have Fairy moves on Magearna and Mew, as Umbreon lets me Improof them to a degree. It is generally a nice defensive option and wishpasser, but that last moveslot is very much up for debate. Doesn't help Umbreon only has Work Up and Curse for setup options, and I could easily see this being switched for something else (my first draft had Dugtrio here to trap and kill annoying things before using Memento to restart the chain).
Baton Pass responsibly, and beware Sash Marshadows. Dynamax can be a pain, but as long as you're faster you can stall it out. If you predict you can even use your own Dynamax (not like this team has any other use for it). Ditto is pretty manageable if you can keep a Sub up. Perish Song and so on are obviously annoying, but this team has a couple of ways to restart the chain if it comes to that.
TL;DR: Please Ban FullPass.

I didn't see anyone mention it yet but I definitely believe that Klefki will have a niche place again in the Ubers metagame. Hazard stacking with Spikes, spreading status with T-Wave / Toxic, and Dual Screens all with priority plus a great typing is too good not to gloss over. However, it doesn't have Xerneas or Yveltal to setup against, limiting its switch-ins; and it also this generation has to deal with the powerful behemoths Zacian & Eternatus, and also Dynamax (ban this already). Despite this, 1 Layer of Spike or a T-Wave is sometimes all you need to win a match, which is what truly matters.

Vs Zacian-C
+1 252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 252-297 (79.4 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Fire Fang vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 218-258 (68.7 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
~~~
Zacian's strongest damaging move against Klefki is Behemoth Blade; Max Defense Klefki is guaranteed to survive a 2HKO otherwise, it will be one-shot by a simple Fire Fang.
~~~
Vs Zacian-C + Screens
+1 252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 126-148 (39.7 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Klefki through Reflect: 178-210 (56.1 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
~~~
A Defense invested Klefki under Reflect will survive for a 3HKO, enough turns to layer spikes; while a SpDef invested Klefki will survive the two-shot.
~~~
Vs Eternatus

252+ SpA Life Orb Eternatus Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Klefki: 239-283 (75.3 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
~~~
Only a specially invested Klefki will survive a Modest LO Flamethrower; Defense is OHKO'd.
~~~
Vs Eternatus + Screens

252+ SpA Life Orb Eternatus Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 120-142 (37.8 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Eternatus Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 169-200 (53.3 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
~~~
SpDef under Light Screen becomes a 3HKO while Defense becomes a 2HKO.
~~~

I didn't see anyone mention it yet but I definitely believe that Klefki will have a niche place again in the Ubers metagame. Hazard stacking with Spikes, spreading status with T-Wave / Toxic, and Dual Screens all with priority plus a great typing is too good not to gloss over. However, it doesn't have Xerneas or Yveltal to setup against, limiting its switch-ins; and it also this generation has to deal with the powerful behemoths Zacian & Eternatus, and also Dynamax (ban this already). Despite this, 1 Layer of Spike or a T-Wave is sometimes all you need to win a match, which is what truly matters.

Vs Zacian-C
+1 252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 252-297 (79.4 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Fire Fang vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 218-258 (68.7 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
~~~
Zacian's strongest damaging move against Klefki is Behemoth Blade; Max Defense Klefki is guaranteed to survive a 2HKO otherwise, it will be one-shot by a simple Fire Fang.
~~~
Vs Zacian-C + Screens
+1 252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 126-148 (39.7 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Behemoth Blade vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Klefki through Reflect: 178-210 (56.1 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
~~~
A Defense invested Klefki under Reflect will survive for a 3HKO, enough turns to layer spikes; while a SpDef invested Klefki will survive the two-shot.
~~~
Vs Eternatus

252+ SpA Life Orb Eternatus Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Klefki: 239-283 (75.3 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
~~~
Only a specially invested Klefki will survive a Modest LO Flamethrower; Defense is OHKO'd.
~~~
Vs Eternatus + Screens

252+ SpA Life Orb Eternatus Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 120-142 (37.8 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Eternatus Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 169-200 (53.3 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
~~~
SpDef under Light Screen becomes a 3HKO while Defense becomes a 2HKO.
~~~
It's pretty outclassed by Grimmsnarl as a screens setter and paralyser. Grimm also gets Prankster Taunt to shut it down. The only real niche it has is as a Spikes lead, which Mew and Froslass are hard to beat at, since one carries Rocks too, can go boom and is bulky AF, the other can attempt to take opponents with it using Destiny Bond. In short, only if you want the specific combination of Screens+Spikes would you pick Klefki (and even then, you're probably off going double lead).

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Teleport

This mon is silly.
Completely shuts down any special attacker, sets rocks up, and now can just pivot away to soak up hits and send in a revenge killer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)