Project Ubers Player of the Week · [Week #3: Fireburn]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Sweep Fireburn

Banner by NicoReaper

Welcome everyone to the Ubers Player of The Week! For those who don't know what this is,it's a project where I interview top Ubers players who are well known and respected by the community, and have performed consistently well at a very high level. In addition to that you, will also have the chance to ask some questions to the interviewed person.
If you have a suggestion as to who I should interview, feel free to shoot me a PM. Anyways, lets get to it!

Fireburn

Most Known For.

Ubers Tiering Leader, SPL particpant, host of most of Smogon's big Ubers-centric tournaments such as Ubers Open, Seasonals, and UPL, sporting various goofy Ho-Oh avatars, being an old fossil of a Smogoner (I joined in 2009 which I'm not sure most people realize at this point)​

Favourite Pokemon.
PS. not Haruno: What is with your obsession with ho-oh.

. Given all my avatars, it's obviously Ho-Oh. There's a bit of a story behind this which I think I've told before, but people may not remember it, so here goes:

My first Pokemon game as a kid was Crystal version, and to date it remains my most played Pokemon game cart with almost 400 hours logged. I had just hatched the Togepi egg and was playing around with Metronome in Ilex Forest. I was mostly getting junk moves and was about to call it a day when Metronome suddenly called Sacred Fire, completely demolishing an Oddish that really should have been elsewhere at the time. Kid me took some time to process the move's flashy animation, the coolness of the name "Sacred Fire," and the complete destruction of that poor Oddish, and I concluded that Sacred Fire was the best move in the world and I just HAD to catch the Pokemon that could use it.

Unfortunately, Ho-Oh was something of a white-whale for me for several years - I learned after KOing Raikou and saving (kid me thought it would take a Hydro Pump from my Level 100 Feraligatr...) that catching all three gerbils was necessary to get to Ho-Oh, and I was unwilling to restart my game, so I despaired at my mistake for awhile. Fortunately, Pokemon Colosseum later came out and provided me with a grueling but possible way to obtain Ho-Oh. For those who don't know, you have to catch + purify all the Shadow Pokemon and defeat Mt. Battle, a gauntlet of 100 trainers that is honestly easier than it sounds except for the last guy's Kyogre. Ironically, it wasn't until Pokemon XD came out that I had decided I was gonna get that silly bird, and I finally claimed it after demolishing Mt. Battle with a team consisting of the XD Lugia (lol of all things) and the trio of Hoenn starters (of these, Swampert did 90% of the work).

I was so overjoyed to get Ho-Oh after several years of it being out of reach that I immediately trained it to Level 100.

Having to wait years to get one was well worth it, because it was so awesome when I finally got to use it that. It has cemented myself as my favorite Pokemon ever since those youthful days. I mean, come on, how can your inner ten-year-old NOT like that one scene at the end of Pokemon Colosseum where Ho-Oh blows up a helicopter? The amount of raw justice in that scene would make Transcendent God Champion blush.​

What's your favourite Ubers gen, and in your opinion, which do you think is the easiest Ubers metagame to grasp?

I like all of the Ubers gens and I usually enjoy the current one a lot (whatever it is), but if I had to pick an absolute favorite I would probably say ADV.

ADV is surprisingly balanced while having simultaneously a large diversity in team styles. To use an analogy, if the Ubers metagames were bowls of porridge, ADV would be "just right." It has just enough Ubers to really give you that feel of playing Ubers, but none that are so domineering that any particular teamstyle or strategy eclipses another. For me, teambuilding is a lot of the fun in Pokemon and room for creativity in ADV Ubers is high with more esoteric picks such as Qwilfish, Raikou, and even Dodrio able to pose legitimate threats. Even if many of the individual mons repeat in teams, most Ubers have multiple viable sets (even Lugia can go on the offensive in this gen) so even similar looking teams can feel fresh.

I also have a soft spot for DPP since the 4th gen is where I cut my teeth in competitive Pokemon. I have a lot of fond memories hanging in the old Ubers IRC channel with Theorymon, bojangles, and Jibaku and the gang and it's a really exciting gen to play. To put it bluntly, DPP Ubers is chaos - the metagame is dominated by powerful dragons and weather-slinging beasts and there are a ludicrous number of things that can kill you with terrifying ease. It's not unusual for a mon in this gen to have like 5-6, even 7 different sets - you have to stay on your toes at all times. I wouldn't necessarily call it a balanced gen at all, but that's also why I like it. It just feels good. Give it a shot if you want to get in touch with your wild side.

As for SM, I think it is a really interesting gen and I like it. Things like the burn and Dark Void nerfs took the edge off of ORAS and made it more multi-dimensional, and I think Marshadow's introduction is shaking up the tier in interesting and needed ways. I've seen people complaining Marshadow is making team matchup more of a problem but I'm not sure I agree. It's been like 2 weeks lol, I'm sure the meta will settle with time. I also think the cries of "HO is dead" are premature, Marshadow is great on offense teams. Stall had to reconfigure its builds to handle Marshadow, and I think HO will have to do the same.

The easiest metagame to grasp...honestly, I would say it's always the current one. You improve more rapidly with more activity: more battles, more tournaments, more people to talk to. You'll improve faster if you can get out there and play more games instead of spending all your time theorymoning. This is true of each gen, imo.

SparksBlade: Any old mechanics or things you'd wish were brought back?

I generally like that changes that have been made to the game as time has gone on. The one change I don't care for much was the Soul Dew nerf - Lati@s has been a useful, healthy, and historically significant mon in Ubers for a long time and to see it gutted so badly is disheartening. That said, the Lati@s Mega Stones are coming out later in the summer - perhaps they can carve themselves a niche of some kind in the metagame once more.

Also, free Mega Diancie! The Mega speed mechanic changes will help it a ton, since it can shed Protect and make use of its 4th moveslot for interesting moves like Heal Bell, Stealth Rock, Calm Mind...I think it will be a fun addition when it finally comes around!

What do you think is the best playstyle to use in the current metagame, and what's your stance on team match-up in SM Ubers?

It's hard to say since Marshadow has shaken up the metagame a fair bit. I think the early meta will favor stall teams (as it has) since stall teams are more easily reconfigured to handle Marshadow (toss on Pex or Ho-Oh), but once offense finds its footing in the metagame I think it will go back to being about even. I think offense will take longer to find itself since Marshadow wrecks the "sample team" esque builds of Deo-S/suicide Spikes lead + 5 sweepers that in the past were easy to learn and use, and that Marshadow will necessitate some bulky mon or Scarf user to handle consistently, but once it does I think things will smooth out, I've seen some creative ones already and there is still plenty of room for experimentation.

As for team matchup, I don't have a very strong opinion of it. There's definitely cases where it exists (for example, a stall team probably won't win against Whirlpool PSong Arceus-Dark 9/10 times), but I think it can be easily mitigated in many ways by studying your own weaknesses, spending time on your builds to learn its strengths and weaknesses, and varying your teambuilds. If you don't want to fall prey to matchup, be hard to snake counterteam. Sometimes you get unlucky and fall prey to it anyway, but Pokemon isn't known for being a completely luck-free game anyway!

soviet: How do you get inspiration for new team ideas and what your building process is like?

It's not really complicated - I just pick a mon or core I want to use and go from there. I make sure the other things I pick cover threats while supporting the core in some way using viability threads or teambuilding compendiums are great ways to make sure I've got everything covered at a glance. It is also helpful for me to imagine scenarios in which I expect the core to work/fail and try to mentally play through it a little - this helps me narrow down effective options into something more synergistic instead of just slapping 6 mons together. It also helps to not be afraid to go off the beaten path and consider lower-ranked/niche/unknown mons if you're confident it will fulfill your team's need - I generally prefer to build my own teams and I find this kind of hunt to be fun.

Sometimes I just slap 6 mons together to have fun on the ladder though. Simple trial and error can make for interesting ladder sessions and perhaps unexpected ideas that you can refine into something serious.

You had the opportunity to play in SPL and did pretty well. Tell us about your experience. Also, any advice for newer players to get recognised in the tournament scene?

SPL was a lot of fun! I was bought by Classiest but immediately got traded to Cryos just after Valentine got axed and it was definitely a crazy ride. My teammates are all insane but they were dedicated to the cause and all cool people to hang with - never a dull moment in that Discord server during the tournament. The fact we almost made it to finals despite losing our manager and several players is a testament to our core skill and dedication, I think. This is gonna sound cliched as balls but the friendship I think is the best part, you meet a lot of cool people through other communties and aside from KyleCole I appreciate the friends I made and if we had to do SPL all over again I'd want them on my side!

As for my performance, my only real goal was to win as many games as I could. My individual record in SPL is only as good as it helps my team win - if I only win one game the whole season but that one game was necessary for us to win an important week, so be it. I knew coming in I was a 3k pickup to try and plug some holes since SPL managers for some reason love to neglect drafting Ubers players until the last possible moment (if you're a manager and reading this, don't do that!), so I just wanted to do the best I could really. I finished with a positive record and my teammates were overall happy with my presence on the team and performance I think, so I have nothing to complain about.

If you are a new player looking to break into the SPL scene, the advice I could give you is to honestly treat it like a job search: tryout and network. Get involved in your metagame's community, get to know some people, and improve your skills the old-fashioned way. If you want managers to care about you, you have to give them a reason to care! People are much more likely to take your tryout seriously if they know your name since you're involved in X community on the site or whatever. You have to give respect to get respect, y'know?

Will you be around for Snake Draft? Would you like to play in that tournament?

Sure, hopefully I'll get drafted! I've actually been approached about being a manager but I think I'd have more fun if I was a player to be honest.

You've been around for a long time now being the Ubers Tier Leader, what's your favorite aspect about the Ubers community?

I've been involved in the community since the DPP days and I think one thing has remained constant over the years. The soul of the community has always been a small group of dedicated people, and this is something I enjoy a fair bit. It has that "small town" feel, if that makes any sense. That might seem a bit odd since we're still one of the most played non OU metagames on Smogon and that has only increased, but the people who are heavily involved are very dedicated and I appreciate that a lot.

That said, I can't help but feel like we've lost something over the years. I feel like the DPP Ubers community was much more welcoming to new guys than now - I remember when I first joined, the big three people at the time (bojangles, Theorymon, Jibaku) took me in with kindness and acted as almost personal mentors to me. I perhaps wonder if the amount of "things" to do in Ubers has not scaled super well over the years - our lack of usage-based tiering shifts and suspect testing may have something to do with this as such areas are easy avenues for contributors to get badges and start becoming more involved in the site. I've been trying to make up for this by stepping up our tour game (UPL, Seasonals, Ubers Classic which will be starting later this year), but I'm wondering if there's something else we can do to help with this. I don't think there is an easy answer to it, but if you people have suggestions feel free to hit me up with a PM and we can chat.

Aquasition: How much did getting blown up by my Direct Hit burn? Any particular moments of being Tier Leader that were worth it? Any that weren't worth it?

I'm still paying off the medical bills.

I can't really speak to specific moments, but I think working with Ubers tiering principles when trying to iron out decisions is the most interesting part. The decisions the UTL has to make tend to be conservative because Ubers tiering policy is conservative by nature. We don't care about things other tiers do such as overcentralization or even balance, we only really care about making sure the metagame is playable competitively, which is a very "bottom line" requirement. Ironically, this can make decisions harder, as our principles and rules are more rigid despite being fewer. The process of reasoning out decisions such that we can choose to act or not act makes it very interesting from a policy standpoint. I personally like this challenge, and it makes policy discussion and decision worthwhile.

I think the hardest moment was back when I was still new to the job and dealing with the aftermath of the Mega Gengar/Shadow Tag tests. Dealing with the PR fallout of that wasn't terribly fun, but it did teach me that Ubers tiering decisions have to be well thought out, transparency is key, and there are limits to what you can do. Specifically, Ubers tiering policy is not very conducive to the suspect testing system as the metrics it evaluates in other tiers don't really match the ones that need to be evaluated in Ubers (aka we don't care if something can beat its counters with X set, is overcentralizing, etc). We attempted to compensate for this with the paragraph system, but no tiering leader in any metagame is a completely unbiased judge and discounting any vote based on perceived quality of reasoning just makes the entire process look rigged to outside observers. To put it simply, if you're coming into the job expecting you can do whatever you want, you are dead wrong. While you're not an elected official and sometimes you've gotta put your foot down, you're more like a public servant than a king - the decisions you make will be scrutinized and you've gotta think them through carefully to make sure you can justify it, you're not compromising your principles, you are being sufficiently transparent, and you're ensuring the community has a say in the decisions. If there is a tiering problem, we've shifted to just solicting discussions and user input directly from forums/Discord and deciding based on that, and I think this kind of informal approach is much better for transparency and staying accountable - we haven't really had any further tiering issues since then.

Who are some of your favourite people on smogon and, is there anybody you look up to as a player?

I'm not an incredibly sentimental person most of the time so I'll keep this short. bojangles, Theorymon, and Jibaku were very welcoming when I was new and I enjoyed hanging with them back when DPP/BW Ubers was the norm. I also have a lot of respect for the unflappable Hugendugen, the previous tiering leader. For the present, I probably chat with Nayrz and Hack more than anyone else on Smogon and I consider them good friends, and I'm quite fond of the active Cryos (teal6, SoulWind, Peasounay, Zamrock, njnp, Poek, ict, obii, as honorary Cryo, etc.)

As for players, I've always liked Blim for his creative builds, Hack for his skill, Kebabe for being clinically insane, BKC for being able to handle almost any tier, and anyone else who's gotten into SPL like Gunner, Pohjis, Astounded, Lacus, etc. And of course I respect the players in my SPL team!

Who is your waifu, and why do you avoid answering this question?

(-_-)

And lastly, as we all know your favorite pokemon is Ho-Oh, can you provide us a team with it and a brief explanation on how it works?

Here's a new team I whipped up recently:

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 168 HP / 232 Atk / 96 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Rock Tomb

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Atk / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

A simple balance team themed around Marshadow. PDon and Ho-Oh focus on wallbreaking sets to crack open walls so Marshadow can clean up lategame, and to this end Arceus-Fairy takes on the job of setting up Stealth Rock, which it's good at doing since Mega Sableye won't ever come near it and Recover makes it last a long time. Ferrothorn complements the core by checking Waters and taking advantage of Zygarde-C to Spike while providing the primary Xerneas check. Mega Salamence acts as the primary answer to Primal Groudon and opposing Ho-Oh while helping against physical Arceus-Ground with Intimidate, and it provides a Defog user for my own Ho-Oh. It also helps lure in and cripple Lugia and support Arceus with Toxic that might expect a different set. The team is slightly weak to SD Groundceus but Marshadow is as good of a deterrent to that set as any. Have fun!

--------------------------
--------------------------

Huge thanks to Fireburn for taking out time to complete this interview, see you all next week! :heart:

teal6

see you again
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending Smogon Snake Draft Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
I am proud to hear that you are fond of our team, one thing I felt really strongly was how close all of us were especially in those absurdly chaotic last few weeks. The 10-2 loss into the 10-2 win will remain my lowest and highest point in Pokemon career for a long time I figure, but it's hard to overemphasize how good of a presence and teammate you are, Fireburn.

If you were forced at gunpoint to pick up an OU and main that from here until the end of Smogon, which generation would it be?

1) How was the phrase "Barn all" born?

2) Who are the top 5 Ubers players in your opinion?

3) What your favorite non-Ubers tier?

4) What's your favorite dish?

5) Most favorite non-Pokemon video game?

6) Considering you've been here a long time, you'd have probably used several antimeta or "weird" sets in Ubers. What is the most favorite antimeta set that you have used?

7) What tier is more easily learnable in your opinion? ADV Ubers/DPP Ubers/BW Ubers

8) Aside from analyses, how else can I contribute to this subforum?

WreckDra

crackling abuser
is a Contributor Alumnus
As a victim of its first integration, do you plan on completing another "Compilation of Bad Ideas"? It was a little scary knowing that there was someone who knew how play using a Chople Berry Heatran, Choice Specs Zekrom, and a Choice Scarf Giratina on the ladder. (It was much easier to deal with the second time around though)

Have you thought of anymore silly ways of erasing your opponent's Xerneas?

How exactly did you ban someone while AFK?

When a phoenix dies and burns, does its hat survive until the bird revives?

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
If you went on an ice cream date what would you order?

What's the cutest thing you've ever done for a girl?

Do you have any desire to ever be married?

Have you ever beaten the Orre Colosseum in XD? If so, what mons did you use?

If we ever play in SPL again, what are you going to bring? Asking for a friend.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Forum Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi. Big fan.

You may have also surpassed me in terms of active years playing Ubers.

Give me your best USUM mascots speculation (base stats, new moves, abilities, mechanics, etc).

Where'd firecape go?

Ever considered playing in VGC irl?

Theorymon

HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY SUPER MARIO BROS 3!
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
Haven't posted here in a loooong time, but I still lurk in the shadows round here while playing Battle Spot! I got some questions too!

1. So let's say Gamefreak kidnaps you, and says "Fireburn, it is now your job to make the mascot legendaries for gen 8 on the Nintendo Switch". What theme would you choose for them, what kind of competitive merit would you give them? Stuff like typing, stats, etc.

2. Let's pretend that Gamefreak has also taken an unusual interest in our Ubers metagame, and ask you to balance Mega Rayquaza. How would you do it?

3. It's no secret that not all Ubers are created equal, and some Ubers have gotten their viability smashed throughout the years (look no further than poor Palkia in ORAS). Of these poor Ubers, which do you think could become much more viable with just one simple change?

4. On a more community related note, what are the past aspects of the Ubers community you are most nostalgic over?

5. RBY Ubers is known as "the land of Mewtwo", but did you know there are some crazy ass glitch Pokemon that might make Mewtwo seem puny? There's a ton of them, any in particular you got interesting takes on? https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitch_Pokémon

6. Lately, Gamefreak seems to have done some embracing of Uber Pokemon. We've been getting quite a few "Uberish" tournaments and specials this first year of Sun and Moon Battle Spot. However, most of these have quite a few twists. For example, the first one this generation only allowed Ubers catchable in Sun and Moon, while the Ubers ladder they had in Season 2 only restricted you to one Uber in a 3vs3 format. (funnily enough, some of us felt like Mega Rayquaza wasn't the best Uber in this format). So I think it's clear that while Gamefreak is embracing Uber Pokemon, they're doing their own twist on it.

So let me cut to the chase: If you had to set up a Battle Spot Uber ladder, Gamefreak probably wouldn't let you just make it "Smogon Ubers". So, what twist would you put in to make it interesting for both Uber veterans and other plays alike?

7. Silly question: I remember a long time ago, me and Jibaku used to have a game called "project brokenmons" where we'd give broken ass evolutions to Ubers (think stuff like a Dialga evo with Levitate). What kind of stupid broken evolution would you give to Ho-Oh?

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
1. Best two mons in ubers atm
Primal Groudon and Xerneas. The metagame revolves around these Pokemon. I also think Arceus-Ground is a close third for general versatility and PDon checking, especially since Marshadow makes the other formes less attractive by comparison.

2. Thoughts on geomancy Xerneas
It's a good set!

If you were forced at gunpoint to pick up an OU and main that from here until the end of Smogon, which generation would it be?
No idea man, this is a tough question. I'd probably pick GSC OU - the meta's intrigued me for awhile and the matches themselves are tactically involved, but I've never had the patience to learn it properly, putting a gun to my head sounds like the motivation I need.

Thoughts and experience with RBY Ubers ? Misunderstood tier :(
Not much experience I'm afraid. My thoughts are that it seems really limited but I might lack the experience to appreciate its complexities, I'm sure there is something more to it other than Mewtwo freeze wars 24/7.

1) How was the phrase "Barn all" born?
I don't exactly remember - I think an old user named firecape mistyped BURN ALL into the chat one day (referring to his 5th gen Dream World Ubers RMT, a lawless frontier where Shadow Tag Chandelure wasn't just the stuff of nightmares) and it just kind of stuck.

2) Who are the top 5 Ubers players in your opinion?
Hard to say since it varies with time. In terms of overall skill over time I would say Hack, trickroom, Blim, Level 56, and Jibaku. Some might think Jibaku is a weird pick but the man was nigh unstoppable in his prime and netted a very solid SPL record when he came out of retirement for a brief stint in ORAS.

3) What your favorite non-Ubers tier?
Other metagames I've dabbled in that I like include GSC UU and ORAS/SM NU. I also enjoy watching VGC tournaments.

4) What's your favorite dish?
A top quality meat-lovers pizza has no equal in this world. When I die of heart disease, it will be with a smile.

5) Most favorite non-Pokemon video game?
Probably Fire Emblem, with New Mystery of the Emblem and Path of Radiance being my favorite entries in the series. I recommend it unless you're playing Birthright or Revelations, in which case please toss them into the nearest dumpster and douse it with fire and holy water. I also enjoy Castlevania games, Mario, and Super Smash Bros. I was a Nintendo kid through and through.

6) Considering you've been here a long time, you'd have probably used several antimeta or "weird" sets in Ubers. What is the most favorite antimeta set that you have used?
Probably Froslass in DPP since it actually became integrated into the metagame then and later in BW. I was trying to demonstrate that Victreebel could be viable in DPP Ubers and Froslass proved to be the real star of the show as a Spiker that could defeat Deoxys-S and lead Rayquaza. It's not as good nowadays since Tyranitar has become one of the most popular leads but it was super cool for the time and it was kind of an accidental discovery, lol.

7) What tier is more easily learnable in your opinion? ADV Ubers/DPP Ubers/BW Ubers
DPP Ubers is probably the hardest to consistently do well in because of how chaotic it can be. It's hard to decide between ADV (somewhat easier to build good teams) and BW2 (more familiar mechanics), so at that point just pick the one you like more.

8) Aside from analyses, how else can I contribute to this subforum?
At this point, I think any kind of project you think would be good and are willing to stick to could be a benefit. Feel free to PM me/Hack/Nayrz if you have any ideas!

*laugh track*

What is your favourite anime?
Don't really watch anime (reading manga is much more efficient). My favorite manga series were Full Metal Alchemist and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. That said the Castlevania anime Netflix is currently producing actually seems kind of neat, need to watch it sometime.

What kind of music do you like?
Whatever strikes my fancy, really. I gravitate towards rock, techno, DnB, some metal, and orchestral scores. I also enjoy remixes of video game OSTs.

Would you kiss an anime doll while your dad walks in or kiss your dad while the anime doll walks in?
You are no longer allowed to ask questions.

As a victim of its first integration, do you plan on completing another "Compilation of Bad Ideas"? It was a little scary knowing that there was someone who knew how play using a Chople Berry Heatran, Choice Specs Zekrom, and a Choice Scarf Giratina on the ladder. (It was much easier to deal with the second time around though)
Eventually, though the beauty of it is that no one will know when it will strike. ;)

Have you thought of anymore silly ways of erasing your opponent's Xerneas?
I have seen Worry Seed Mega Venusaur used to beat Xerneas and I don't think I can come up with anything sillier than that.

How exactly did you ban someone while AFK?
I typed /away into IRC chat but hadn't left yet, someone did something stupid immediately after I "left" so I punched him into the sun.

I'm always watching.
When a phoenix dies and burns, does its hat survive until the bird revives?
Always.

who do you fuckin hate in smogon
This guy is just the worst.

whos the shittiest player uve played
This guy is just the worst.

have you ever had a gay encounter? if so, please elaborate
I am straight and have never even been on a date, so no.

would you have a gay encounter with me? yes/no please explain why
No. I am straight, and furthermore even if I were gay I would never be able to date someone who microwaves their milk. Cold milk is sacrosanct to the enjoyment of cereal.

Why is Dorcas the best FE lord of all time?
He clearly isn't since he lacks the sense to hire a food taster according to the commercial. One poisoned mutton chop is all that is needed for Natalie to take his throne...

AND WHY DID YOU KILL HIM!?!
The Cog of Destiny Valkyries are why you don't field units with 20% Speed growth.

If you went on an ice cream date what would you order?
Chocolate chip cookie dough. I don't buy into your ice cream astrology psuedoscience quackery so the contents of the order could not and should not matter. Nothing wrong with the basics!

What's the cutest thing you've ever done for a girl?
No idea. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you have any desire to ever be married?
Probably yes, but it's not at all a priority for me right now. I haven't even been on a date lol

Have you ever beaten the Orre Colosseum in XD? If so, what mons did you use?
No, I didn't know how to EV train back then and I haven't had the motivation to go back and do it now. If I did attempt I would probably use an Explosion focused team with stuff like Metagross, Snorlax, and Gengar for quick and easy wins. Toss in Zapdos, a Water-type, and something for weather and we're probably set. Meta and Lax together also ensure I can handle the available Legendaries the opponents will use in later rounds.

If we ever play in SPL again, what are you going to bring? Asking for a friend.
I have been receiving secret tutelage from Sweep, so expect Stunfisk and Omastar.

Give me your best USUM mascots speculation (base stats, new moves, abilities, mechanics, etc).
Honestly I think Ultra Solgaleo and Ultra Lunala will just be like regular Solgaleo and Lunala with better stats. Ultra Solgaleo would benefit a lot from an Attack increase, a new ability (inheriting Prism Armor from Necrozma would be dope), and some more support moves - if there's a Stealth Rock tutor in USUM that would be pretty big. I have no idea what could happen to Lunala. I don't really think their typing would change since Necrozma is a Psychic-type and Solgaleo/Lunala aren't going to lose STAB on their signature moves, so I guess we just hope for better stats? It's hard to predict anything since we have such little information lol.

Where'd firecape go?
Who knows? I miss the inferior fire user sometimes...

Ever considered playing in VGC irl?
I'd love to, but transportation is a big obstacle since I'm poor and don't have a car. I'm also not really close to any past venues. If there is an event that I could actually get to I wouldn't mind giving it a shot!

1. So let's say Gamefreak kidnaps you, and says "Fireburn, it is now your job to make the mascot legendaries for gen 8 on the Nintendo Switch". What theme would you choose for them, what kind of competitive merit would you give them? Stuff like typing, stats, etc.
So main series games tend to have two major opposing somethings for their legendary: land vs sea, time vs space, yin vs yang, life vs death, sun vs moon, etc. It feels wrong to have 2 separate versions of the game on a switch, maybe we could go off the rails a bit and do a Paradox Pokemon - one where the two normally opposing concepts are brought together in some way that doesn't quite make sense at first (kind of like what if Xerneas and Yveltal were a single Dark/Fairy type Pokemon). The game mascot would probably be an opposing type combination that hasn't been explored before at all - we finally get an excuse to make a Normal/Ghost Pokemon (a very interesting combo because of how they cancel out each others weaknesses so perfectly), and it's gonna be Uber as Uber can be.

A Normal/Ghost has desirable defensive properties: no SR weakness, spinblocks, sole weakness to Dark, three immunities to previously unresisted type combos. In this vein, I would probably make it a defensive wall. After all, a truly intriguing paradox nags at you overtime, never quite going away, slowly consuming you with its contradictions until the point of obsession!

2. Let's pretend that Gamefreak has also taken an unusual interest in our Ubers metagame, and ask you to balance Mega Rayquaza. How would you do it?
I don't even know man, this thing is busted in so many ways and you would likely have to nerf it multiple ways to make it fit. If it didn't have a free item slot or any Speed increases then maaaaayyybe it would be ok. Maybe.

3. It's no secret that not all Ubers are created equal, and some Ubers have gotten their viability smashed throughout the years (look no further than poor Palkia in ORAS). Of these poor Ubers, which do you think could become much more viable with just one simple change?
Give Zekrom an ability that allows him to partially ignore Ground-type's immunity to Electric-type attacks. Maybe like, say, a Pokemon that is normally immune to Electric would instead take 25% damage. Being able to use Choiced sets freely again would be huge for its viability in Ubers - there are plenty of good applications for Electric moves that don't often get realized because Ground-types dominate the tier. Essentially, Teravolt would be more like a souped up Tinted Lens than a Mold Breaker clone - imo this fits in a bit better with the lore since Zek and Resh rely on overwhelming brute force for offense rather than having some mystical nature-altering powers.

4. On a more community related note, what are the past aspects of the Ubers community you are most nostalgic over?
I felt like we were a lot more noob-friendly and close-knit in DPP days. I'm not sure I would still be around if I didn't get such a warm welcome when I first joined.

5. RBY Ubers is known as "the land of Mewtwo", but did you know there are some crazy ass glitch Pokemon that might make Mewtwo seem puny? There's a ton of them, any in particular you got interesting takes on? https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitch_Pokémon
Where do I even start with these beautiful creatures? My favorite is probably PokéWTrainer - such beautiful stats, and all those numbers are good for appears to be spamming Wrap and Clamp. It's even immune to Thunder Wave and Body Slam paralysis so not even that will stop it, and Gengar is gonna get blown up by Psychic if it tries anything funny. This thing is sadistic. Wrap/Clamp/Selfdestruct/Psychic is getting two kills a game at worst.

6. Lately, Gamefreak seems to have done some embracing of Uber Pokemon. We've been getting quite a few "Uberish" tournaments and specials this first year of Sun and Moon Battle Spot. However, most of these have quite a few twists. For example, the first one this generation only allowed Ubers catchable in Sun and Moon, while the Ubers ladder they had in Season 2 only restricted you to one Uber in a 3vs3 format. (funnily enough, some of us felt like Mega Rayquaza wasn't the best Uber in this format). So I think it's clear that while Gamefreak is embracing Uber Pokemon, they're doing their own twist on it.

So let me cut to the chase: If you had to set up a Battle Spot Uber ladder, Gamefreak probably wouldn't let you just make it "Smogon Ubers". So, what twist would you put in to make it interesting for both Uber veterans and other plays alike?
I imagine a 3v3 Arceus-only tournament would be interesting. Gotta see how people counterteam each other!

7. Silly question: I remember a long time ago, me and Jibaku used to have a game called "project brokenmons" where we'd give broken ass evolutions to Ubers (think stuff like a Dialga evo with Levitate). What kind of stupid broken evolution would you give to Ho-Oh?
180 Attack, 121 Speed, Magic Guard, add Ice Beam, Volt Tackle, Swords Dance, Extreme Speed, and Head Smash to movepool. Mega Rayquaza would be running for its life.

Thoughts on Geese Howard's reveal for Tekken 7?
I don't play Tekken, sorry! I played Soul Calibur II for Gamecube but that was about as far as I got for traditional fighting games, and I think I only got it so I could play as Link (who is coincidentally the worst character in competitive SC2 play LOL)

darrell1297

Banned deucer.
sometimes i feel u could do things differently as UTL, as im sure everyone else does. do u take advice from anyone on what the correct thing to do is in a certain situation, and if so who?

are their any decisions you look back on and wish you did differently? as tl

when will u promo me to driver ?

did u play any sports in school?

boxers or briefs?

do u see yourself leaving mons anytime soon? what would make u leave

Last edited:
despite the fact you've been tl for awhile i don't think we know much about you as a person

favorite hobbies that aren't related to mons?
why don't you join discord calls?
how long do you see yourself sticking around smogon?
how would you describe yourself irl?
why did you pick cs as a major?

mags

Banned deucer.
As UTL do you put that on your resume?

Other than pokemon and work what do you do? You mentioned you have no interest in either guys or girls so I assume your into hentai.

Rank all the previous and existing UTL in order of how well they did their job with you obviously being last.

Have you ever thought of quitting? pls consider it

Would you rather confess to everyone in the world your a lolicon or have everyone in the world confess to you that they are lolicons?

Can you join a tour so somebody can wishkiller you?

fuck marry kill nayrz hack krau except you cant kill krau

If you lost your fireburn acc and your ip has changed and nobody would believe you so you had to create a new acc what would your new acc name be?

zf

take it easy, amigo
is a Tiering Contributoris a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
When is Naryz being promoted to tier leader?

Best mega in the Marshadow metagame?

What coding languages do you frequently use, if any?

What's your favourite Melee Mewtwo story?

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
sometimes i feel u could do things differently as UTL, as im sure everyone else does. do u take advice from anyone on what the correct thing to do is in a certain situation, and if so who?
I usually don't make decisions until I've talked about it extensively with the other Ubers mods (Hack and Nayrz) or until we have collectively decided that we have obtained a solid sense of community opinion, which we always make sure to consider. I also tend to review PR threads and/or ask SS if I have a specific question about something. Don't worry, I'm not a dictator.

Yet.

are their any decisions you look back on and wish you did differently? as tl
Not really - the only "bad" decision was the outcome of the STAG test, and even then it still had worthwhile lessons to be considered.

when will u promo me to driver ?
Asking for auth is a great way to not be considered for it! :)

did u play any sports in school?
I did not play any sports through the school system itself, but I did participate in martial arts from a very young age until about halfway through high school. My studies focused on karate, basic street fighting techniques, and various medieval Japanese weapons such as nunchaku and bo staff. Did it entirely for fun, thankfully never had to use any of my training!

No strong preference.

do u see yourself leaving mons anytime soon? what would make u leave
If magsy gets banned, internet clans are abolished, and lolicon is declared a felony, maybe then I would consider retirement.

favorite hobbies that aren't related to mons?
Reading, writing, listening to music, learning about martial arts (been awhile since I practiced though), programming, eating out at different restaurants (I became a huge foodie in college but my wallet isn't always big enough for my stomach...), playing other video games

why don't you join discord calls?
Always preferred written communication to verbal and I don't like the sound of my own voice all that much.

how long do you see yourself sticking around smogon?
No idea honestly. We'll see where the wind blows.

how would you describe yourself irl?
I'm just a nerdy white guy so there isn't much to describe really.

why did you pick cs as a major?
High school offered programming classes in Java and I enjoyed it enough to pursue it in college instead of engineering. Nothing complicated, just liked coding.

what is the land velocity of an unladen hoennese swellow?
You can probably figure it out by finding a standard swallow's walking speed as a function of its height and scaling appropriately. Swellow is 0.7 meters tall for reference. Unladen assumes base walking speed with no items and the Pokedex gives the same Height and Weight for Swellow and non-Hoenn regions so we can assume standard physiological parameters.

also, what was the worst professor you have had like?
One professor self-published a novel with a very awkward, erm, explicit scene and forced us to buy it for the class. No one was happy about this.

Do you play any instruments?
Nope! I have zero musical talent whatsoever and cannot keep a rhythm. For reference, I failed the tutorial level for drums on Rockband at the easiest difficulty.

What kind of guy were you in High school?
I was the quiet smart nerd. Every school has one or twenty of them.

What are your favourite battles you've ever played and seen?
Don't have any replays but I enjoyed my SPL games, an old BOTW vs Blim, some CAP late night tours back in DPP days. Those are the ones that stand out in my memory.

If you lost your fireburn acc and your ip has changed and nobody would believe you so you had to create a new acc what would your new acc name be?
I had a name picked out in the improbable event I lost my account and had to reinvent myself as a delinquent with no morals, but sadly the username "magsyy" was taken so I'm not sure what I would choose.

do you like how the current american school systems in place?
It's ok I guess but it could be improved. I think grade school should put some more emphasis on tech/practical skill classes + teach programming sooner since that's clearly where we are headed in the future. The basics of programming are not hard to grasp even for elementary schoolers and even simple scripting skills can be very useful in many jobs and for general computer literacy. I was fortunate enough to have a very STEM focused high school so a lot of these concerns were alleviated, but I was frustrated a little with how slow my school system was on math - I had just completed calculus when I graduated, only to find other people at college had already been exposed to linear algebra and differential equations. University system is fine mostly, just costs way too much.

what is the definition of successful?
Success is different things to different people, so it is up to the individual to define it, in my opinion.

when you listen to music, are the words or is the melody more important to you?
Melody all the way, most of the music I listen to has few or no lyrics. I won't listen to a song with a bad melody regardless of the lyrics.

was becoming a coke dealer worth it, or do you think its too easy to get hooked on your own supply?
Never did drugs and never will, so no it isn't worth it obviously. If you want to do drugs that badly, move to a state where recreational weed use is legal. Much more to life than drugs!

When is Naryz being promoted to tier leader?
Probably when either Hack or I decide to retire, assuming he hasn't gotten sick of mons yet.

Best mega in the Marshadow metagame?
Probably Salamence since Gengar/Lucario both compete with Marshadow for fast Ghost/Fighting with priority, however Mence has no direct competition and somewhat assists in checking it.

What coding languages do you frequently use, if any?
Python and Java are my best languages, also know C and C# decently. I use Python and shell languages the most.

What's your favourite Melee Mewtwo story?
MM2 was in on the "Compilation of Bad Ideas" joke while I was laddering. We spent many an afternoon laughing at people who fell victim to the team, it was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)