Tournament Ubers Premier League VII - Commencement

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

(art by Kaiju Bunny)

Welcome to the seventh edition of Ubers Premier League, an all-Ubers team tournament where six team managers draft from the pool of players to compete in a five-week round-robin battle for Ubers supremacy. The top three teams will advance to the playoffs, where the winning team will be crowed the premier of Ubers battling. UPL is Uber’s largest team tournament and the premier tournament for the tier, providing an opportunity for Ubers powerhouses to display their dominance, veteran players to return, and for new talent to emerge.

Hello everyone, my name is Minority and I’ll be your host along with CKW.

Some of these will be repeated under their respective topics, but in general:

1. Managers are allowed one (1) Assistant Manager.
2. Teams are allowed to purchase a maximum of two (2) retained players for last year’s UPL.
3. Retention rights may be traded.
4. There will be no midseason.
5. The minimum number of players in a team is ten (10).
6. The maximum number of players on a team is twenty (20).
7. To signup, your account must have a join date of 2018 or earlier (this means no 2019 join date players)

The teams and managers this year are:

Choice Bandits - dream + steelskitty
DaReal Drizzlers - Nayrz + Melee Mewtwo
Defiant Durians - obii + Pohjis
Devastating Dialgas - Mr.378 + absdaddy
Jubilant Jirachis - Level 56 + Astounded
Luminous Lunalas - Dominatio + Poek

The tiers that will be featured this year are:

- USM
- USM
- USM
- ORAS
- BW
- DPP
- ADV
- Best of Three (USM / ORAS / BW)

The wildcard slot is to be voted on by the six selected managers.

Auction:

The general auction format and rules will be similar to prior UPLs. All teams will have a bank of 100,000 credits. The starting price at auction for all players is 3,000 credits. Additionally, managers or assistant managers may buy themselves as a player prior to auction for 20,000 credits.

Retention Rules:

The intent to retain a player must be communicated to the UPL host prior to auction. Players may only be retained by the team that they played for last season. The cost of a retention is that player’s last season price + 3,000 credits, with a minimum cost of 10,000 credits. A manager can purchase a maximum of 2 players through retention. Players must make a signup post and provide consent to the UPL host before being retained.

If you signup as an assistant manager you may not be retained. The purpose of the assistant manager is to aid the manager in the draft, lineups, and administration of the tour. Unofficial assistant managers that are ultimately retained will not have any of the privileges associated with managing and will not be considered in the manager selection process.

Trades:

The intent to trade a player or a player’s retention rights must be communicated to the UPL host prior to the start of Week 1, and in the case of retention rights, prior to auction. Trades will not be effective until the host receives identical confirmation from both managers.

Tournament Scoring and Seeding:

The tournament will have six teams playing each other in pools to determine seeding. The top seed will advance directly to the finals, while the second and third seeds will play in semifinals to determine who advances to the finals. Each week teams will either earn 2, 1, or 0 points based on a win, tie, or loss respectively. Battle difference will be cumulated for the purposes of tiebreaking seed placement when points are equal. If a tie occurs in seeding, or in semifinals or finals, the winning team will be decided by a manager vs. manager battle to the death with 16th century pirate sabers.

Substitutes:

Managers must notify the UPL host in order to make a substitution. A particular slot may not be substituted more than once per week.

We reserve the right to judge any individual match on a case by case basis, regardless of assumed precedence set. If you don't like that, you are welcome to not play. Be aware of this.

To protect yourself as much as possible from DCs and timer issues, play on Showdown (because it has an at least semi reliable system of rejoining after a DC) and make a gentleman's agreement to not hit timer.

To help handle all DC cases you will need to submit your teams to the UPL host before the match. You do not have to submit, but if you do, you protect yourself from the opponent taking a win. It's a simple procedure that removes most subjectivity from a decision regarding a DC. Unlike with the scheduling restrictions, all you have to do is submit the team you are using at anytime before the match takes place. Read this rule and understand this now before you join the tournament. Since I'm stating this now, I'm basically going to ignore you if you DC, didn't submit a team, and "had a guaranteed win." Expect it. Also note that I'm going to let the player (not the team), decide whether he is going to take the win or go another route (replay same moves, replay different teams, etc.).

Regarding time outs, they are a bit more complex, specifically because some timeouts are due to DCs. The best we can do for this scenario is say that there is some number between 1 minute and 2 minutes (which we will not publicize) that we will set as a limit for timing out, and if you timeout with more than that limit time remaining, we'll assume it is a DC, whereas the opposite is a true timeout. A true timeout defaults to a loss, while the DC timeout is prone to the DC rules (did you submit or not).

Additional Notes:

A replay / log must be saved of your match or it will be considered invalid. No exceptions.

General tournament rules and regulations apply. Pokemon Showdown is the default simulator for all metagames unless both parties agree. If you play on anywhere that isn't PS! you must save a log of the match. All matches are best of one, except for the best of three USM slot.

This is the official start for UPL VII. Please keep (most) shitposting quarantined here.

Last edited:
Hi i've been playing PS from 2013 but i accidentally created 2 smogon accounts before reading rules and i told mod (Quote and The Dutch Plumberjack) to ban my previous smogon account (deep28). It had a joining date in 2014. Can i participate in UPL?

U can contact the mods (Quote or The Dutch Plumberjack) for verification.

Wanted to do a list or thread of people I think are pretty underrated that I would assume will signup for UPL. Having been one of those people this time last year. I am not doing this list in order because I think each person possesses different things that will help the team prosper.

List:

Dewtios: Someone who has been a good friend of mine for a long time, that said that is not why I am listing him. Has rather expansive knowledge across metas 5-7 and is very eager to help others. I think the team support he will provide in terms of building and testing is something that every team will need. I also think he is very capable of being a starter and believe he is a vastly improved usm player than when we first met.

Fardin: One of the best player in the OM scene has had success in ubers tournaments in the past and is currently tearing up OST having not lost a game to my knowledge. Regardless of your personal opinion I think he's one of the best players I have played on this site and if you give him a solid team he's going to win more than he loses.

ADF: Very similar to Fardin outstanding across many different meta games, someone who has never really dedicated themselves to one particular meta but if they did I believe they could dominate. Has done very well on ladder too.

Dovah: everyone knows Dovah again someone who Is going to offer a lot of team support across a few gens. I think that he is really close to being an excellent tour player if he can work on playing a consistent game through and through. Very eager to help someone that should not go overlooked.

Pigeons: Ag circuit winner, and Ag players have in the past made the transition very well. Also an excellent doubles player going undefeated in DPL, doubles to me is one of the most big brained tiers so that has to say something about his abilities.

Cromagnet: taught me how to play this game.. enough said only thing he lacks is confidence otherwise outstanding player.

Get flanked: I am not v good at old gens, that being said he is immensely better than me at those generations. Not entirely sure what kind of field we have for ADV but he is a very strong pick imo.

Goat heart: not sure if he started to do tours in my absence however before that He was one of the up incoming players in my opinion. He had a sorta narrow team selection on ladder but he was outstanding with those teams. with a supporting cast around him I think the sky is the limit.

Staxi: french player, that means french luck and french gang. Picking him is like picking 20 goons to come gas your team up. Jokes aside I think he is quite talented as a player and can play a few gens.

Bdov: builds like nobody else and will be extremely dedicated to the team. Has not had a ton of ubers tour experience but would have made it much further in winter ssnl last year had I not gotten a freeze so yh.

Cam: I think he has developed a name in ubers in my absence but I would be remised if I did not mention him. Has become a talented builder to go along with always being a good player. I believe he has oras experience too.

Makekyogregr8again: I dont even know if homie still plays but his teams are something else, if he still does you have to pick him up.

Alkione: another guy I think has for sure established himself but felt like I needed to mention him because he's not super outspoken on disc or in the room. Excellent player across multiple gens especially 6 and 7 also French so all those boosts.

Greentee: queen of ubers 1 mascot makes your team the fan favs automatically.

Terracotta zygod: Pretty mediocre player might be worth 3k maybe if you are super desperate. ;]

Its fink dumbass: I heard he's ok at like Rby Lc so it probably translates

Frisoeva: not entirely sure if he intends to do UPL. He is however very talented across pretty much all lower tiers and Ou so If he does play he is not someone who I would pass up. Paired with his tour room goons he may be unstoppable.

Durza: I heard he plans to play, he somehow managed to pipe up as soon as I stopped playing apparently. Ive played games with him and built for him, He's not going to build his own shit but given teams he can def pilot them and has been playing mons for a long ass time.

chazmicsupanova: arguable best MnM player def one of the more innovative guys in that tier which I think closely correlates with ubers. always a super helpful guy and with some practice I think could be a solid ubers player.

JRDN: Hope he does not start playing ubers because if he does he will probably end up smoking me. insanely high skill ceiling.

Megazard: did not put him originally because I assumed him making like 6 ssnl round 9 + would speak for itself but just incase pick him.

Paradise seeker: from my understanding had a lot of success two opens ago, we have not really been around at the same time but I've seen a lot of his builds and they are super unique also an outstanding ladder player.

Ismakhil: New guy but I think has a great amount of potential very solid in game, could use to work on his building. Also extremely helpful.

Will expand the list I have been gone for a long time sorry if I missed you :o

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)