Tournament Ubers Premier League VII - Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

(art by Kaiju Bunny)

Welcome to UPL VII Week 1, here's a few things to remember:
- A replay / log must be saved of your match or it will be considered invalid. No exceptions.
- General tournament rules and regulations apply. Pokemon Showdown is the default simulator for all metagames unless both parties agree. If you play on anywhere that isn't PS! you must save a log of the match. All matches are best of one, except for the best of three slot.

We reserve the right to judge any individual match on a case by case basis, regardless of assumed precedence set. If you don't like that, you are welcome to not play. Be aware of this.

To protect yourself as much as possible from DCs and timer issues, play on Showdown (because it has an at least semi reliable system of rejoining after a DC) and make a gentleman's agreement to not hit timer.

To help handle all DC cases you will need to submit your teams to the UPL host before the match. You do not have to submit, but if you do, you protect yourself from the opponent taking a win. It's a simple procedure that removes most subjectivity from a decision regarding a DC. Unlike with the scheduling restrictions, all you have to do is submit the team you are using at anytime before the match takes place. Read this rule and understand this now before you join the tournament. Since I'm stating this now, I'm basically going to ignore you if you DC, didn't submit a team, and "had a guaranteed win." Expect it. Also note that I'm going to let the player (not the team), decide whether he is going to take the win or go another route (replay same moves, replay different teams, etc.).

Regarding time outs, they are a bit more complex, specifically because some timeouts are due to DCs. The best we can do for this scenario is say that there is some number between 1 minute and 2 minutes (which we will not publicize) that we will set as a limit for timing out, and if you timeout with more than that limit time remaining, we'll assume it is a DC, whereas the opposite is a true timeout. A true timeout defaults to a loss, while the DC timeout is prone to the DC rules (did you submit or not).

598.png

Devastating Dialgas (2) vs. Defiant Durians (6)
USM: March Fires vs. PurpleGatorade
USM: orch vs. KratosMana
USM: EternalSnowman vs. Pigeons
ORAS: Lord Outrage vs. rozes
BW: PROBLEMS vs. Kebabe
DPP: WreckDra vs. M Dragon
ADV: Exiline vs. Kushalos
Bo3 (USM | ORAS | BW): Hack vs. TDK

382_01.png
385.png

DaReal Drizzlers (3) vs. Jubilant Jirachis (5)
USM: Alkione vs. lax
USM: Megazard vs. skysolo14
USM: -RDKB- vs. Garay oak
ORAS: Serga vs. LucosDICampos
BW: Blim vs. ZoroDark
DPP: BKC vs. Pearl
ADV: Finchinator vs. Ismakhil
Bo3 (USM | ORAS | BW): Cynara vs. Melle2402

802.png
792.png

Choice Bandits (3) vs. Luminous Lunalas (5)
USM: Mysterious M vs. Paycard
USM: sig vs. Goat Heart ♥
USM: Zesty43 vs. Chill Shadow
ORAS: Lacus Ichinose vs. Aishia
BW: FLCL vs. Alex Walls
DPP: Stone_Cold vs. Highlord
ADV: iry vs. p2
Bo3 (USM | ORAS | BW): Evuelf vs. Poek

DEADLINE IS APRIL 7 AT 11:59 PM PT

Last edited:
BW: PROBLEMS vs. Kebabe i've actually seen him on quite a lot this game came down to a last mon speed tie last year
DPP: BKC vs. Pearl : 25'5 hes gotta win right? two outstanding players think pearl has a lot on his plate with the TB so may not be as into as BKC
USM: March Fires vs. PurpleGatorade : never lost in upl think he keeps it rolling but tape is super good

I want dates and times for these games

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Alright, unbiased predictions time w/o my team because I'm biased there.

Devastating Dialgas(5) vs. Defiant Durians(3)
USM: March Fires vs. PurpleGatorade I have never in my life seen a better overall builder than Tape so even though PG is the young prodigy, slight favor to him
USM: orch vs. KratosMana Oof, hot much, but orch will probably show up with some Ricko Nasty teams and body himself, Anti lowkey overall a strong pick
USM: EternalSnowman vs. Pigeons Speaking of, Pigeons is a great player and always performs, but ESM pulls out something surprising and doesn't choke, another contested play.
ORAS: Lord Outrage vs. Reje I'm going TRout here because 1) Mafia DON and 2)Reje is not motivated, if he shows up he's taking the W, really want the runback from last year.
BW: PROBLEMS vs. Kebabe Oli seems super get-going this year around and he has the best BW support he could ask for, Kebabe gonna have to get inside Hack and PROBLEMS' mind to secure the W.
DPP: WreckDra vs. M Dragon M Drag's plan.
ADV: Exiline vs. Kushalos Even if one was looking at just past UPLs, they'd know Kushalos is the favorite here. Exiline is a very competent player when motivated and he won circuit through good play but I still gotta give it to Kush.
Bo3: Hack vs. TDK Listen, even Hack has played maybe 2 hours of SM maximum, sheer talent and knowledge of the other 2 gens like the back of his hand probably gonna end up with him as the victor, TDK lowkey a threat in every tier he touches but if you're not betting on Hack, what kinda of Ubers have you been watching for the past 6 years?

Choice Bandits(4) vs. Luminous Lunalas(4)
USM: Mysterious M vs. Paycard M playing is always great to watch, can play on the aggressive when he wants to and has Zesty Team support, Paycard always consistent and a strong builder but can't cut it this time.
USM: Royal1604 vs. Leru Royal won a Seasonal off of good play but hasn't been the hottest name since, Leru has been around for a hot second and can diversify his playstyle vastly based on the match-up, gonna have to give it to him.
USM: Zesty43 vs. Chill Shadow 23.5K and an L on week 1 don't add up, Zesty is THE name in USM, watch-out.
ORAS: Lacus Ichinose vs. Aishia Lacus actually has to apply herself here, she hasn't played in a minute but I know for a fact she can do well if need be, but can't let Aishia get comfortable because they displayed some super hot sets in ORAS Cup, contested match-up.
BW: FLCL vs. Alex Walls If Alex Walls can play BW anywhere near his DPP level then it's gonna be a wash, but FLCL has been a tour name for eons and has showed some stand-out games in the past, not an easy game for either side but Alex's got that extra bling to his play.
DPP: Stone_Cold vs. Highlord Great record last UPL + a lot of shit talk, Highlord is the favorite here and for a good reason. Stone_Cold will have to prep extra hard for this upcoming game but Preplord always has an answer, this is a match-up I don't wanna miss.
ADV: iry vs. p2 P2 is to me synonymous with the ADV meta, no doubt in my mind he played this after his ban so no rust, iry is one of the greatest but he's gonna have to really apply himself here, another super close call.
Bo3: Evuelf vs. Poek Evu has played well every UPL and he has shown some great performances in tournaments, Poek is super strong overall but I think his lack of Ubers knowledge might bite him in the ass here.

Only predicting the one that really matters for me Week 1. GL Dialgas!

USM1 Tape vs. PG: Tape's great at USM but considering how he needs to stay drunk to maintain balance and the fact that PG has been remarkably consistent; never dropping a single match in UPL. PG edges slightly over Tape here.

USM 2 Orch vs. KratosMana: Depends on whether KratosMana can weather the 60 mons Orch will throw at them. Orch's builds are all over the spectrum between meta and whack. I've been in a team with the man, totally not unbiased. My vote goes to Orch.

USM 3 ESM vs. Pigeons: Pigeons performs well, But, ESM is on another level of consistent playing, dude doesn't know what a misplay is and will pilot any team with superb efficiency.

ORAS [TR]Executiver Archer vs. Reje: Oh shit. Both of these guys are ORAS powerhouses. This game is gonna depend on who brings the superior team in the matchup and/or who gets the hax favored on their side. Neither of them will inch back out of the game if they play seriously, nope.

BW Oli vs. Kebabe: It was a 50/50 above. Now we're at 55/45. First and foremost, Kebabe's going to be fighting the full brunt of Hack who knows him inside-out, as well as every other BW player in the Dialgas who are trailblazers in their own right. Now, Kebabe's no slouch either but I've my doubts on the sort of support he'll be getting from the side. We'll see.

DPP WreckDra vs. Mariano Dragon: Will it be WreckDaddy's plan this time? IDTS—you can't trump MDrag week 1 (or any week for that matter) that easily.

ADV Kekker vs. Kushalos: Kekker's a baguette circlekekker alright, but his game mode is scary. As much as I can attempt to disfavor this man, I can't. If Kekker manages to bring out his A-game right from week 1, he'll stay unstoppable. Kushalos, on the other hand, is dangerous opposition and has already secured his niche as the go-to ADV Durian and his track record doesn't lie. Only the game will tell.

BO3: Hacc vs. TDK: TDK's great in every tier he plays... but is he Hack? No? No. Looks like a no-brainer right here.
:psysly:

Make sure to prep nicely, folks!

dewtios

Banned deucer.
As some of you know, something quite horrible has happened to me in the past couple of days (post-draft day) that has lead me to decide to leave Smogon permanently (unless I'm wanted for a UPL team ;)). I guess, then, that this list of 100% unbiased predictions is my parting gift to the community. I really wish I could have been a part of UPL this year, but eh I guess it wasn't meant to be. I've enjoyed the hell out of the past 5.5 years, and I hope each of you has a fire UPL! Before I get too teary-eyed, here are my predictions for Week 1.

(edit because i'm being bombarded with this question: no, this is not an april fool's joke, however much i wish it was.)

Devastating Dialgas (5) vs. Defiant Durians (3). The Dialgas come out of week 1 with a close win over the defending champion Durians, solidifying to everyone that Mr. Numbers is the master of the draft.
USM: March Fires vs. PurpleGatorade. Tape is exceptional, but PG will continue his undefeated UPL streak. Highlight match; could really go either way, but my head says PG.
USM: orch vs. KratosMana. Orch definitely has the experience on his side as far as Ubers is concerned, but will KratosMana's big stage experience get him the win? That question seems to be the theme of the week, across teams. I think Orch will pull this one through with something KratosMana has never seen before.
USM: EternalSnowman vs. Pigeons. Pigeons is an extremely competent player, but it's hard to pick against ESM here. He's innovative and consistent, and I think those two virtues will come in to get him the clutch win here.
ORAS: Lord Outrage vs. rozes. I have to go with trout here. Meta-defining ORAS player, and way too hard to bet against.
BW: PROBLEMS vs. Kebabe. Problems has been around for a few weeks now, and seems like a well-Oli'd machine. Given that he's on a team surrounded with BW players, his team support will be what he needs to get this win. Kebabe has a task in front of him if he plans to out-prep Problems on this stage.
DPP: WreckDra vs. M Dragon. I love WreckDra's game, but I think M Dragon's big stage experience will be what plats the role in getting him the win.
ADV: Exiline vs. Kushalos Exiline's fire ADV performances in Champs last year makes this a tough pick, but it's tough to pick against Kushalos in UPL for ADV. I think an upset is a very considerable possibility though.
Bo3 (USM | ORAS | BW): Hack vs. TDK. Hack is probably the heavy favorite for this matchup. Hack's knowledge of Ubers across the year is going to be enough to get him the win, even though his USM experience may be lacking.

DaReal Drizzlers (3.5) vs. Jubilant Jirachis (4.5) The Jirachis get the tight win with some close games. BW will be the saving grace for the Drizzlers if the series goes the other way.
USM: Alkione vs. lax I've not seen lax play Ubers, but I've seen Alkione play questionably at times, so I think lax's big stage experience takes him to the victory.
USM: Megazard vs. skysolo14. The 18.5k draft pick puts his game where the cash is, and plays a spectacular game against Megazard to earn a win for his team, while silencing everyone who called this pick the most egregious overpay since Dice.
USM: Plas vs. Garay oak. Impossible to pick against Garay here. He's proven himself time after time in Ubers, and he'll play a solid game to secure the win for his team.
ORAS: Serga vs. LucosDICampos. I find that Serga is a bit one-dimensional, and Lucos will capitalize on this flaw in Serga's game to earn a preview win.
BW: Blim vs. ZoroDark. Two heavy hitters in the BW world. Could go either way; will depend completely on matchup at preview.
DPP: BKC vs. Pearl. After Pearl's disappointing performance in UPL last year, he'll be motivated to prove himself on the UPL stage. I think Pearl will have a much better UPL showing than he did last year, but the 25.5k will earn the win this week.
ADV: Finchinator vs. Ismakhil. I think Ismakhil is the future of Ubers, but Finchinator's experience will prove too much for the young Moroccan. Hoping for an upset here, but I think one is unlikely.
Bo3 (USM | ORAS | BW): Cynara vs. Melle2402. I give the edge to Sarah here. I think she'll be well-prepared for Melle, and cruise her way to a victory. You can never count Melloat out completely though!

Choice Bandits (4) vs. Luminous Lunalas (4). Tie. The Lunalas do better than expected with a solid-looking starting lineup, somewhat justifying their bizarre draft day decisions.
USM: Mysterious M vs. Paycard. This one honestly could go either way. However, I believe Paycard is not a difficult opponent to prep for, and with building support from some guy named Zesty43, paired with the elite piloting ability M provides, I think M gets the edge here.
USM: Royal1604 vs. Leru. Love Royal, but I think Leru is just better. It's been a while since I've seen him play, so he might come in with some visible rust or simply choke the game away, but barring those scenarios, Leru should get this dub.
USM: Zesty43 vs. Chill Shadow. Zesty is on another level. He came back from his hiatus looking just as fire as he was before, and I think he's nowhere near the top of his potential. I also think he's grown as a player since he was last tearing up the competition in Snake, so I think we'll see the best Zesty we've ever seen on full display here. Chill Shadow has brought some cool stuff in the past though, so if he manages to out-prep the best prep player we've seen in a long time, expect an upset to be possible.
ORAS: Lacus Ichinose vs. Aishia. Both cream-of-the-crop in the ORAS world. I've watched both play a lot in replays, and I love this matchup. Either could get it. Lacus is capable of just brutally outplaying Aishia, but I think Aishia has an equal chance of getting the win. I give the edge to Aishia, purely because I've seen her at her best more recently than I have Lacus. Highlight.
BW: FLCL vs. Alex Walls. Alex Walls is just infinitely more experienced in this particular meta. FLCL's big-stage experience won't quite be enough. Alex Walls will be the favorite here, but even he can fall to a bad matchup.
DPP: Stone_Cold vs. Highlord. Modern-day DPP Jesus is going to win this. Highlord has seen everything under the sun in this meta, and I don't see him losing this. I think he'll play it safe with team selection and cruise his way to a win, adding to his fantastic career UPL record.
ADV: iry vs. p2. Iry is really damn good. p2's penta runs have been fire, but iry has proven himself more recently, and his vast knowledge of Ubers as a whole will give him the win, despite a slightly disappointing penta run.
Bo3 (USM | ORAS | BW): Evuelf vs. Poek. Tough one. The question mark is over Poek here, because we really haven't seen him play Ubers in a long time, especially BW and USM. Evuelf, however, has proven himself much more recently, so I feel like he deserves the edge.

Until next time, Smogon!

(@ managers if anyone else has someone unwilling to play, you know who to pm ;))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)