Resource Ubers World Cup I - Feedback and Teams/Sets Dump

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
1637964843363.png

The first iteration of Ubers World Cup has ended and I think one of the American teams won. But more fun was seeing some boomers playing current gen and some zoomers playing old gens, and some "outsiders" having a good showing.

If you feel some things need to change in case/whenever another one of these is hosted, or you have suggestions to improve the player/spectator experience or just make the whole tournament format smoother, this is the place to speak up. Please avoid from picking individual admin decisions etc and instead try to focus on the process itself.

And of course, SEA Heysup and others can also share the crackhead ideas they came up with, as well as perspectives on the changing metagames (as well as "fuck bp" sentiments).

Attachments

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This tournament was fire and I really enjoyed it, and my team was really awesome so s/o to the goats across Canada for that. If there was one thing I could change about the format from pools -> weeks like PUWC did. This would make it easier to prep, at least from my perspective as each week you could focus on a different opponent. It would also prevent a bunch of games being johned 'till the deadline then having a huge surge of games the last weekend.

Also fuck Baton Pass

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Not gonna talk about any eligibility stuff, because that's always going to be an inherant issue in a World Cup format and I imagine some Europeans will do that anyway.

I didnt personally like Pools as a format compared to weeks. There were essentially 2 dead weeks at the start of the tour, followed by too many games to really keep track of how every other team was doing. Much like Aqua Jet and FatFighter2, I'd prefer a weeks based format like PUWC. It'd make the tour last longer, but I feel it'd make the tour significantly more Hype.

Only going to talk about a few teams here.

Pools vs Fardin
:solgaleo::eternatus::yveltal::kyogre::landorus-therian::marshadow:

I am still annoyed I lost this, didnt pay attention in the calc to figure out that I had accidentally kept Lunala's Shadow Shield Broken when looking at Marshadow calcs. Anyway, the idea behind this was: I dont want to lose to Magnezone, so I might as well try and build to Solgaleo's strengths. Those strengths being, Future Sight + Teleport. The big issue with Future Sight is Yveltal + Necrozma-DM being on essentially every team these days, so I wanted to pair Future Sight with something that can come in on Yveltal easily and force it out. Dragon Tail Eternatus makes sense for this, also phazing Necrozma-DM. Kyogre and Marshadow just make sense as future sight partners, and I still had Roar on Kyogre for the same reason as Eternatus, while Future Sight + one of Marshadow's STABs theoretically 2HKO's everything. Lando-T then provided more pivotting and the rocks that NDM lacked. Overall I still think this is a pretty cool team, especially if you think Magnezone is possible from your opponent. Just be wary of offensive Eternatus, that is a big issue for this team overall.

Pools vs Fatfighter2
:zekrom::darmanitan-galar::calyrex-shadow::eternatus::yveltal::necrozma-dusk-mane:

Darmanitan is one of the best mons in the tier, and Life Orb Zekrom has some nearly auto-win matchups against some of the teams FF2 had been using (Tapu Fini + Heatran in particular folds like wet paper to Zekrom). I got the matchup pretty badly wrong here in prep, I was not expecting any sort of HO, and it kinda shows. Then I forgot what Shield Dust does turn 1 and misplayed around the webs setter too! Oh well. I still like this team, Zekrom + Darm + Specs Caly have really nice synergy for each other, and you can even change the Zekrom set to lefties if you're ok with making your Groudon matchup a lot harder.

Semis Vs Plat
:landorus-therian::calyrex-shadow::necrozma-dusk-mane::eternatus::yveltal::marshadow:

I thought that I was going to be HO'd before this game began, in part because I know that Plat likes that in USM, and in part because I thought that Solo + Dave as his teammates and most obvious support also prefer HO in a lot of tiers. As a result, I thought that Scarf Lando-T could be a genuinely good and unexpected option. It didnt do much in the game itself, but I still believe it has genuine potential as a set, giving you essentially a guaranteed fast defog against HO teams, as well as pivot support + Intimidate and checking Zekrom and Calyrex-S (without a sub up). Specs Calyrex can normally force at the very least a trade against HO when webs are not up, and that's assuming Sucker Punch Yveltal too. Jolly Banded Marshadow forms a nice Double Ghost core that I felt should leave me solid enough against most Calyrex sets, between Yveltal, Scarf Lando-T and its Shadow Sneak, but I was caught off guard with SubSeed in the game. Got outplayed quite significantly by Plat in this one, but I still feel the team is decent (although I have made Marshadow Bulk Up with Spell Tag since).

The team environment we had was great, everyone was chill and having a good time. I cant wait to team up with these lads for next years WCUP. I'm just a little ashamed that I lost when my team was counting on me to take things to a tiebreaker, especially as it didnt come down to matchup or luck or something, I just got outplayed.

this tour was a mistake
This was honestly the worst team tournament experience that I've ever participated in; and I'm including upl1. (I at least still enjoyed comp mons back then) You were completely absent as a manager, despite the pings. I'm the last person who is going to tell you that you should care about pokemon but, if you have better things to do, then don't choose to be manager and ask folks to join your team. I probably would have done the same as inder if raph wasn't on the team. Didn't plan on saying anything cause I think you are a cool guy but posting this shit makes it hard for me to ignore.

SEA

show me what to be
is a Pre-Contributor
NUPL Champion
And of course, SEA Heysup and others can also share the crackhead ideas they came up with, as well as perspectives on the changing metagames (as well as "fuck bp" sentiments).
I thought you'd never ask.

Here is the team I used both game 1 and game 2 against Heysup, with the most notable thing here being the Reflect Latios. The idea is pretty simple, throw away your Latios into the Snorlax since you have Reflect and your Latias will reap the benefits. If they're running some sort of Blissey fat stuff, broken Sub CM Mewtwo will probably just win. Just don't let it get Toxiced.

A couple mons I am really low on as of now: Magneton, Deo-D. Magneton, if they don't bring Forretress is just a dead slot on your team. Use anything that actually does something for your team and try to bait Skarm/Forre another way (no, mixlax doesn't count). Deo-D is just awful. It's supposed to check Latis (it only does if they are ReRe as otherwise CM variants get to +50 million), it doesn't do that super consistently. It is supposed to get up Spikes, yet Forretress is miles better as a Spiker. So, what's the point of it? I don't know. It's a stall mon that doesn't help with any of stall's bad matchups, and it immediately lets your opponent in on the fact that you are 1. using this piece of garbage 2. not using deo-a 3. using a wack team. If you're using Deo-D, use a Gengar alongside it. Only way I can really see it work.

1638402570670.png

my reaction to rabbit's deo-d lead, seriously don't use this thing

As for my other games, I reused a few teams, built a couple of new ones. These two are pretty nifty, but the one with Magneton can just have a Deo-A instead. If they don't have a Skarmory (if you're that worried about skarm honestly just use thunder lax + fire ray), it's pretty pointless.

Few cool mons that I almost brought: Medicham, Meganium, Golem, Typhlosion, and Swampert. I decided against these because I felt the teams I was using with them were too hax prone, except for Medicham, which I just wimped out on 5 times.

Thank you to Stone_Cold and The Strap for the chance, sorry I played like utter dogshit in pools, I will try my best to make it up elsewhere. Holy Ghost Hope I made my tutor proud at the end of the tour, thanks for sticking with me. :heart:

edit: pools suck weeks are way better

Last edited:

LBN

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UPL Champion
I am way too busy playing fgo to even talk at length about teams/games like i would usually but just a couple points:

1: Weeks > Pools, all these no johners that supposedly exist definitely didnt exist for me! Every point aber made rings true for me too, but also can we banish team australia simply because they are annoying to schedule with =]

2: Giratina-O is an amazing mon, shoutout Lunala btw for the team I grabbed from our time together in UPL, that shit still hits so differently and its very comfortable to use.

3: Ban Baton Pass

4: Very happy with how the tour was ran overall, aside from weeks over pools i dont think i can give any criticisms beyond very blighted nitpicks, yall outdid yourselves

5: Since US South won can we cancel most wanted 3 now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)