UK Smogon Tournaments?

Which location(s) would you prefer?

• Total voters

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Glasgow and London are about the same distance away from me - about 300 frikkin' miles. >_>

That said, if this gathers enough momentum I'd like to be a part of it if I have the money/time.

I'd go if there was one in Mid-Wales. Thing is, I'm the only Pokemon Player in the area who doesn't an AR for everything. If their's any Smogoners here then their a shop near me that would probably let us rent downstairs for a tourny.

Glasgow and London are about the same distance away from me - about 300 frikkin' miles. >_>

That said, if this gathers enough momentum I'd like to be a part of it if I have the money/time.
Your bound to be pretty near manchester then, except if your from the NE xD

I may be interested in Manchesterm it's around 2 hours on the train max for me but it would be worth it, what type of tournament would you be running?

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Manchester would be the most ideal location as it's the most central of the three cities, meaning it's more accessible for people all around the UK. I know I'd much rather travel to manchester than london.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Your bound to be pretty near manchester then, except if your from the NE xD
*points to location*

It might be worth setting up a poll to see who can make it to which locations...I'd rather go all the way to London and have a huge turnout then go to Manchester and only have a handful y'know? Once we work that stuff out we can move on to the next phase.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay. I've added a poll.

Vote for which location(s) you can make, so we can get a good idea of the overall turnout.

Remmeber that Gamerbase would also advertise this tournament in their location, and we could advertise on various other websites / get local players / friends to come along as well. I can get to work on making posters with friends etc so advertising will be much easier. There is a good chance I can get a large turnout for Manchester (perhaps 32 if I'm lucky) so it might be worth considering. However, we have to take into account time factors etc so just because we have a lot more willing to go doesn't mean it'll be better. If you can only secure a certain amount of time, the tournament may drag on too long and not finish - but we can come up with ways to solve this such as 3v3 matches for earlier rounds and timed battles etc.

Lastly, we'd need hosts for each location if they're to happen. Myself and Toothache could do it for Manchester, while Dan Dan may be volunteering to host one in London.

Lastly, we'd need hosts for each location if they're to happen. Myself and Toothache could do it for Manchester, while Dan Dan may be volunteering to host one in London.
I'll be glad to arrange one for London. I'm sure we can get a much bigger turn-out than the other ones as well ;)

Glasgow please lol, I hate being alienated from the Pokemon world here in Scotland :O

It would be better in Edinburgh though :O

I voted for Glasgow for obvious reasons - Manchester isnt that far from me so I could bring some guys down to help support. Would love to come to London but depending on prices I previously mentioned that can be 50/50.

Anyone going VGC this Saturday - Ill be the Black guy with bleached blond hair and with either a white or pink ds (the gf's)...hope to meet some of you there and GOOD LUCK :)

I'd go for one in Wales, but I know i'd be the only one.
For travel convience, London is the best overall. But yea, smogon needs to come to the UK!

Dan Dan, I'm probably too young to host, but I can probably help out if needed and bring a lot of Pokémon players.

I live in the middle of nowhere so any of these locations would(n't) be easy for me to get to if there was a tournament of some sorts. I voted, however, for Manchester as I feel that it is closer to where I live, as opposed to London. the only other downside is that, if it were to happen this year I'd be unable to go as a lot of things are happening in mu life at this time (finishing Year 11, for a start :) ). But I'd definately be intrested if it would happen!

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
No reason we cant have several tournaments going on at once, right? :-)

Since I only live just outside Manchester, it is convenient for me to work with Gamerbase to set up a tournament there. If the relative success of the Pokecharms tourney is anything to go by, I can see it being a popular event, especially if it is a regular occurrence, say every few months.

Hey all, long time no speak.

This would get me interested in playing again, and I think Manchester is the fairest option as its in the centre, having it anywere else would alienate potentially large swathes of people from going imo.

Either way id drive up and bring my step-brother as well.

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, I'm quite pleased with the interest here. I'll keep the poll open though, as I hope more people will vote so we can get a better look at the total turnout from Smogon we can expect. (I'm sure I'll be able to get non-Smogon members to show up, as I plan to advertise on PokeCharms, Serebii, Pokemonline, PokemonWorld, Official Nintendo Magazine, and Facebook, possibly others. I know I have permission to advertise it on all of those bar Serebii, but PokeCharms got a sticky there, so I'm sure we can get a thread too). But, we need a tournament first!

This is where the rules come in...

I'll need to get a general preference, but I can tell you now that 6v6 singles throughout is most likely out of the question. Seeing as we can only do two (maybe three) battles at a time, and that they could go on for a long time, we'll have to steer clear of it. I'd either like to mimic PokeCharms 3v3 style and use it for the early rounds, then allow for 6v6 in the semi-finals and later.

There will be a time limit on the matches, which will most likely be 10 minutes per every 3v3 match. Before people ask, I believe that a time limit of 10 minutes (which is most definitely going to be the standard time limit for each game bar the semis and final) in 6v6 matches will leave basically every game unfinished and let it go to judging, which would be pointless and silly. We want to see matches end properly, so 3v3 and 10 miutes seems best. Semi Finals and Final will have a time extension and the final will probably have no time limit.

You'll probably have as much time as you want to select your moves, but we could set it to 1 minute if people would prefer it.

Now, the tier for the first tournament will most likely be OU - though we may fiddle with the tier list depending on people's suggestions.

Alternatively, we could make this tournament 2v2 double battles. This would allow for 4v4 matches for most of the tournament, and we could keep that theme or switch to 6v6 in the finals. We could also go for rules more similar to the Official Nintendo Rules as well - though with that tournament just gone in the UK, switching back to singles might be what everyone wants. Have your say!

Tier - OU
Battles - Singles / Doubles?
Time Limit - 10 minutes
Move Selection Limit - Unlimited / 1 minute?
Entrance Fee - £5, but this depends on what prizes we can get and how many people turn up. I doubt it'd ever be more than £5, but it could be less.

Note that this is for the Manchester tournament!

--

Also, I've spoken to Blue Kirby about potentially starting a new page on Smogon's website for this. I'll be asking chaos as well soon and hopefully we'll be allowed to. If not, I may just ask for some free userspace to do it.

If you have anything else to add, go for it. If you think I should make a new thread with a new poll, I will.

Tier - OU
Battles - Im not bothered but if singles leave 6vs6 till final
Time Limit - 10 minutes
Move Selection Limit - 1 minute

Oh and is there an after party lol

Okay, I'm quite pleased with the interest here. I'll keep the poll open though, as I hope more people will vote so we can get a better look at the total turnout from Smogon we can expect. (I'm sure I'll be able to get non-Smogon members to show up, as I plan to advertise on PokeCharms, Serebii, Pokemonline, PokemonWorld, Official Nintendo Magazine, and Facebook, possibly others. I know I have permission to advertise it on all of those bar Serebii, but PokeCharms got a sticky there, so I'm sure we can get a thread too). But, we need a tournament first!

This is where the rules come in...

I'll need to get a general preference, but I can tell you now that 6v6 singles throughout is most likely out of the question. Seeing as we can only do two (maybe three) battles at a time, and that they could go on for a long time, we'll have to steer clear of it. I'd either like to mimic PokeCharms 3v3 style and use it for the early rounds, then allow for 6v6 in the semi-finals and later.

There will be a time limit on the matches, which will most likely be 10 minutes per every 3v3 match. Before people ask, I believe that a time limit of 10 minutes (which is most definitely going to be the standard time limit for each game bar the semis and final) in 6v6 matches will leave basically every game unfinished and let it go to judging, which would be pointless and silly. We want to see matches end properly, so 3v3 and 10 miutes seems best. Semi Finals and Final will have a time extension and the final will probably have no time limit.

You'll probably have as much time as you want to select your moves, but we could set it to 1 minute if people would prefer it.

Now, the tier for the first tournament will most likely be OU - though we may fiddle with the tier list depending on people's suggestions.

Alternatively, we could make this tournament 2v2 double battles. This would allow for 4v4 matches for most of the tournament, and we could keep that theme or switch to 6v6 in the finals. We could also go for rules more similar to the Official Nintendo Rules as well - though with that tournament just gone in the UK, switching back to singles might be what everyone wants. Have your say!

Tier - OU
Battles - Singles / Doubles?
Time Limit - 10 minutes
Move Selection Limit - Unlimited / 1 minute?
Entrance Fee - £5, but this depends on what prizes we can get and how many people turn up. I doubt it'd ever be more than £5, but it could be less.

Note that this is for the Manchester tournament!

--

Also, I've spoken to Blue Kirby about potentially starting a new page on Smogon's website for this. I'll be asking chaos as well soon and hopefully we'll be allowed to. If not, I may just ask for some free userspace to do it.

If you have anything else to add, go for it. If you think I should make a new thread with a new poll, I will.

Havak

Yeh, we could probably have some kind of after party :P

All the guys old enough could go out for a few drinks or something, but I don't know if I'll want to cart my Wii around for too long lol. Unless I nip home first and meet up with everyone again later.

This is just as much of a big meet-up for Smogon as it is a tournament IMO, it should be great fun.

just thought id bump this up to see if there is any updates or dates set?
I know quite a few people who are interested and really keen you see.

Another moment where I wish I didn't live in Plymouth, and didn't go to school in Farmerland! (I mean Cornwall, but stereotypes ar OK, right? No offense meant, many of my friends were born there!) In any case, I'm glad somebody has had the orginisational skills to make something like possible. I hope your maiden voyage is a success!

I will be in if it's at London, otherwise the travel would be too expensive.

qft.

In Germany we are playing since many years atleast at one time of the year a big real tournament..the modes are 2vs2 (in teams) and 3vs3 because 6vs6 would take too long time..maybe you will find some inspiration from there , also the partys after the Tournaments were very..funny..and...uuh..full of alcohol ..haha ..:D

anyway i would enter any tournament in london , if time and money will give me a chance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)