UK Smogon Tournaments?

Which location(s) would you prefer?

• Total voters
qft.

In Germany we are playing since many years atleast at one time of the year a big real tournament..the modes are 2vs2 (in teams) and 3vs3 because 6vs6 would take too long time..maybe you will find some inspiration from there , also the partys after the Tournaments were very..funny..and...uuh..full of alcohol ..haha ..:D

anyway i would enter any tournament in london , if time and money will give me a chance.
quoted for truth.

i'd be interested in a london tournament as well

Havak, this is amazing just a quick thank you since you have got the ball rolling on something that is greatly needed here in the UK!!

I can definatly say that i would be 100% commited to attending any event you held anywhere in the Uk (pokemon events are fun) and i do a lot of events management and marketing/promotions for bands and other music based events through Uni so if you ever need any help with anything just PM me im pretty free all summer so i'll definatly contribute and help you guys out where i can, I'm at home in Newcastle for the summer so getting to manchester or Glasgow is not really a problem and have my student house in very close to London so help for any of these events won't be a problem if im needed :)

Tier - OU
Battles - Doubles
Time Limit - 10 minutes
Move Selection Limit - Unlimited
Entrance Fee - £5 - £10

I'd most certainly be up for this, its still a bit of a trek but i can handle that. I think if you have cash prizes you have to get a license, so it might have to be event/bred pokes.

I'd most certainly be up for this, its still a bit of a trek but i can handle that. I think if you have cash prizes you have to get a license, so it might have to be event/bred pokes.
QFT. You would indeed need a licence, lots of beauocrazy (da dun tish).

Off-topic; hah, I remember when you joined the forum Toby, de-ja-vu!

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm, I'll look into it. I don't think you need a licence to give prizes away, and there wouldn't be 'cash prizes'. I'm sure cash prizes refers to solid cash.. not vouchers and/or other kinds of prizes.

Hey Havak its Pokerob. For all you who don't know me, I am basically the PokemonWorld webmaster.

I will most definately be able to run the london with someone whom is significant at smogon. Obviously I cannot as I have not earnt my smogoness as of yet so if someone who posts here reguarly and wishes to do this event, I can advertise it in london pretty easily. I mean look, 43 prefer london and thats not adding the 5-10 that can probably come and play from my side of the shores.

If you wish, I could help do this:

Tier - OU
Battles - Singles 6v6 Level 100
Time Limit - 15 minutes
Move Selection Limit - 1 minute maximum
Entrance Fee - Dependant on how much to host the event costs.

Havak, if you could find out how much it would cost you in manchester to hire it for the day then that would be excellent. Reason being is so then I can work out entrance fees for London. Sorry if I just like budged into your parade or something though, just offering my help as I can easily help in the london one.

And besides, if 42 prefer london then you can probably hope for a 32 player turnout. :) Another idea is if you book yourself in early for a pound off or something, sure, not a lot of difference, but helps us predict the amount expected.

Singles is what smogon was brought up on, you keep it on traditional smogon rulings then you have an excellent opportunity. Plus, trophys don't cost that much to buy so I could even get a trophy organised for the victor? :)

Just giving my support to help host a london event. I understand manchester might be good for you northerners but I am sure some southerners would appreciate a capital event too!

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Pokerob :)

I've messaged DoctorOak (PokéCharms webmaster) for some further information on how they went about it, so I'll post back here when I get a reply.

The reason I'm slightly against making it 6v6 throughout is the amount of time it will take. PokéCharms ran their tournament from 1pm onwards, and it lasted almost three hours - that was just 16 people in 3v3 matches. So you can see how long it can take, if that was 6on6 it probably would've taken more than twice as long.

Obviously I'm hoping to start earlier, if we can have the venue for an extended time period, I'm not against starting sign ups at say 10:30am and starting the tournament at 12:00am or earlier. I'd try to keep it organised and get battles done with as quickly as possible. The faster we get the first few rounds out of the way, the faster we can switch to 6v6 battles.

Once I have the information, we can both contact the corresponding locations and see what we can come up with. I think Dan Dan was up for hosting in London, so if you can work something out with him that'd be good.

I'll get back to you once I get a reply.

Not really would take as long. Think about it.

Your thinking of doing all the normal rounds on pbr. Is there four LCDs? If so, then we can do quarters on there see.

The others you just need a laptop with the wifi usb adaptor to allow DS participants to connect up for level 100 single. ;) There is then no queue when you know whom you must play.

EDIT: Obviously semis and finals on LCDs also. Remember, 64 players and you can make most of them play at the exact same time to kill time. If battles take roughly 40 mins each, then that's 240 minutes all together including the finals which is 4 hours. 10AM - 2PM.

Havak

Just because the battles are done over Wi-Fi doesn't mean they'll be quicker, though.

Think about it a bit more. You'll have to set up multiple DS units to acheive something like that, as every DS would need to aquire a new connection. The problem arises when everyone has to do that and it could take a long time.

The primary solution would be to have set DS's for players to use, but that arises a further problem (or problems) in that every player would have to change their Friend Code in order to play and that every player would have to swap Friend Codes with their opponent before each match. They'd have to do this regardless of whether or not we use set DS systems.

There's also the issue of battery life, I can't confirm this right now but I'm pretty sure that connecting to Wi-Fi drains the battery life of the DS more so than anything else.

Lastly, battles take just as long to play on the DS's as they do on PBR, and if people decide to use stall teams in 6v6 (which they will because they're the most reliable in 6v6 tournament play) it'll take an eternity. You simply cannot ban stall teams either, that's just not fair.

I do understand that everyone battling at the same time with DS's would cut the time, but I personally feel it's more hassel than anything. If you want to give that a whirl in London if you can find a co-host(s) who's willing to help organise it, then go for it.

Manchester will most definitely be hosting every match on the screens with each battle being 3v3 until either the semi's or quarters. Along with this, team changes are banned between rounds as I'm planning to make people register teams online beforehand. If they want to make an alteration during the sign-up process, they can do so. This is to prevent people editing their teams between rounds to gain an advantage if they've watched a match already.

Valid points all round.

And even then, why change to 6v6? I know its the classic play scheme but at the end of the day but then people are going through for winning in 3v3 format which, is pretty different to 6v6 because you then must pick pokemon on different basis, hence like making sure you cover more efficently with your 3 pokemon in case that one pokemon that ends your team decides to pop out.

I dunno, your more experienced with this, sounds like you got the better stick of this so... *shrugs*

The problem I had with the last tournament was two things, one was the rules and two was the destination.

I don't mind hosting this, I have no reason really to play as I'll be filling the spot of a perfectly better player. Unless if we have 31 players obviously.

Anyways! Sounds like your right anyways, I've looked at it a bit more now, as long as someone is up for co-hosting whom is pretty substantial here then I don't mind working along side them. :)

The reason to switch to 6v6 in the later rounds is it forces a bit of added challenge; you have to really rattle your brains to think of a team which will work properly in both 3v3 AND 6v6.

That said, even just 3v3 throughout would be ok. And as has been pointed out 6v6 throughout would be pretty much unworkable due to time constraints.

Personally I'd like to see the competition be open-tiered: no Ubers obviously, but not limited to OU either. Might make things a bit less predictable (and therefore trickier), plus more varied teams since some UU pokes can quite happily support OU ones.

Tier: Not Ubers
Time Limit: 10 minutes (3v3 rounds), Unlimited (6v6 rounds)
Move Selection: 1 minute
Entrance Fee: Depends of facility hire cost and whatnot

Havak

Joehawk got it in one there, I liked the challenge of having to effectively come up with a 6v6 team that could be split into seperate 3v3 teams and vice versa. I'm thinking about item clause too, but I don't know about that yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)