Other Metagames Ultimate Leaves - Grass Monotype (LTLC 2 Winner/1823 ELO)

Ultimate Leaves

Introduction:

Hello guys! It's juleocesar here, and this time, I am bringing one of the best Grass teams that I have ever built. This team revolves around Balance and it consists on covering as much matchups and threats as possible. This team was also the one I used throughout Low Tier Ladder Contest and achieved great results, as well as getting #2 in the ladder and a 1823 elo peak, which you can see below. Here I'll make a brief explanation about my team and the sets, as well as the teambuilding process, so let's get started!

and
: These were my first considerations before building this team, and the reason is pretty obvious: They form an amazing defensive core capable of handling so many threats that would be really difficult to handle otherwise. Mega-Venusaur offers useful Ice and Fire neutralities with Thick Fat, and Ferrothorn compliments it by covering its weakness to Flying and Psychic, as well as acting as a solid hazard stacker with Spikes and stalling really well with Leech Seed + Protect.

: Great special wall, thanks to its decent special bulk, typing, and access to Recover. It helps checking usually threatening mons to the main core (Togekiss, Chandelure, Hydreigon, Charizard-Y, Mega-Pidgeot, and so on), and is also the best Stealth Rock setter avaliable on Grass teams (great opportunities of setting it on most matchups).

: Whimsicott provides amazing utility on nearly every Grass team. It can act as an immediate check for setup sweepers and fast threats with Prankster + Encore/Stun Spore.

: Breloom is a very solid offensive addition. It has access to one of the best sleep-inducing moves in the game in form of Spore. It also has a form of priority in Mach Punch and it can act as a great wallbreaker with Technician + Bullet Seed, making matchups like Steel, Ice, Normal and Dark easier.

: Solid stats, decent movepool and Natural Cure allows Celebi to be a great status absorber and offensive Pokemon in overall. Access to moves like Psychic and Earth Power gives Grass teams an easier time against Poison, Steel and Fighting teams. It can also run a wide variety of sets and it is often unpredictable because of that.

The Team:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers

Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

This is Ferrothorn's standard set, not really much to say here. It is the main Spikes setter on my team and it serves as an effective check to Fairy and Ice threats with Gyro Ball. I use a specially defensive spread so I can handle threats like Kyurem-Black more reliably, as well as other threats that carry Psychic and Flying special moves. Leech Seed and Protect couples well with each other, allowing it to stall more effectively, and make mindgames with High Jump Kick users (most notably Hawlucha and Mega-Medicham)

Cradily @ Leftovers

Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rock Slide
- Recover

Cradily is my main special wall, and it is also my Stealth Rock setter. The reason I use Stealth Rock on Cradily over Ferrothorn are because of its higher opportunities to set it against troublesome mons, especially on Fire matchups, which Ferrothorn would occasionaly struggles to set them up. Toxic pairs well with Recover, allowing it to slowly wear down bulkier Pokemons. Rock Slide is the choice of mono-attacking move so I can check threats like Mega Charizard-Y, Volcarona and Mega-Pidgeot more effectively.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite

Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Mega-Venusaur is my main physical wall, checking important Pokemon like Scizor, Bisharp, Heracross, and Victini. 20 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed Adamant offensive Azumarill, and the rest are put in physical defense and health. Earthquake mainly checks Heatran after its Balloon is gone, Sludge Bomb threatens Fairies (notably Clefable), and Hidden Power Fire is mainly for threats like Scizor and Skarmory.

Whimsicott @ Life Orb

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Encore
- Stun Spore

In this team, Whimsicott takes more of an offensive approach, allowing it to act as a great check against common issues Grass team normally has. Moonblast breaks through Dark, Fighting and Dragon types in overall (most notably Mega-Sableye). Encore and Stun Spore, along with Prankster, makes it able to handle most setup sweepers and fast threats in the metagame. Psychic is mostly a filler move, but makes Poison matchups even easier and it often lures Mega-Venusaur in, which can turn out to be a nuisance on several situations.

Breloom @ Focus Sash

Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Mach Punch

Standard Breloom set. Spore cripples slower threats and switchins, which is always appreciated. Bullet Seed is your main Grass STAB and it breaks through many common wallls that are not resistant to it. Rock Tomb is your coverage for Bug, Flying and Fire mons, and Mach Punch is your priority (it is also boosted for technician, giving it even more power). Focus Sash makes up for its fraility and subpar speed, allowing it to be an effective check on several matchups.

Celebi @ Life Orb

Ability: Natural Cure
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Recover

Celebi is my main status absorber, and its ability to run a wide variety of sets effectively can make it unpredictable at times. Psychic + Earth Power breaks through most Poison and Fighting Pokemons. Giga Drain is a solid STAB that pairs well with Life Orb (it could run something else but this team lacks Grass moves anyway, so it is good to have on it). Recover works better on handling bulkier/stall threats, when Giga Drain isn't enough, further increasing its potential as a status absorber.

Threatlist:

Fire wallbreakers:

These pokemon can easily break through this team, 2HKOing nearly all of my team.

Bug Setup Sweepers:

Scizor, Mega-Pinsir and Volcarona can put a lot of pressure into this team with their setup moves, Swords Dance and Quiver Dance, respectively. Whimsicott can occasionaly stop them with proper prediction and Encore but that's no safe switch, and that can't be done once Sticky Web is set since Whimsicott will be slower to outspeed Scizor and Pinsir's priority moves.

Gliscor and Landorus

These two Pokemon can be very annoying to wear down, since this team lacks Ice coverage. Landorus puts a heavy dent with its moves and Sheer Force, while Gliscor can run the extremely threatening Swords Dance set with Toxic Orb, further making it immune to status and increasing its longevity.

Flying haxers (Togekiss and Mega-Pidgeot)

Cradily usually handles both of them, but they can be really annoying because of their abilities to flinch and to confuse, respectively. Togekiss can be a nuisance with Trick, whereas Mega-Pidgeot can also be a hell of a Pokemon with Work Up or Substitute. Whimsicott can paralyze them, should Cradily be weakened.

Crimson Torrent Amazing Grass player and friend who stood as a great competitor throughout LTLC 2. We ran into each other in the ladder several times but in the end it was all fun, regardless of whoever lost. A very nice dude that I believe I can count on (and hopefully compete in future LTLCs or other tours)

Dece1t Really nice dude, was the one managing the Low Tier Ladder Contest and some other cool events like Core Challenge. Also the one who encouraged me to do this RMT. Thanks for the support you've been giving fam!

average fella, Dragon Expert Soma, Cjl1, Czim: Some of my friends that give me support and that I want to see this thread. Sorry if I forgot to highlight someone here, but if I do, consider yourself here in this list too ^^

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Rock Slide
- Recover

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Encore
- Stun Spore

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Mach Punch

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Recover

Last edited:

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Yo juleo whaddup brutha. Overall this is a very well built team and you did a good job at covering necessary threats with ferro/venu/dily. I only have one nitpick at ur venu set. The thing that is kinda confusing me is that you have EQ on venu for heatran but you don't have a move that can break its balloon which is its most common set. That being said, I prolly just run giga for STAB because you have earth power on celebi to lure tran already and it kinda just seems redundant especially since venu can't lure it on its own.

Other than that, there's really nothing wrong with the team, its p well built.

Yo juleo whaddup brutha. Overall this is a very well built team and you did a good job at covering necessary threats with ferro/venu/dily. I only have one nitpick at ur venu set. The thing that is kinda confusing me is that you have EQ on venu for heatran but you don't have a move that can break its balloon which is its most common set. That being said, I prolly just run giga for STAB because you have earth power on celebi to lure tran already and it kinda just seems redundant especially since venu can't lure it on its own.

Other than that, there's really nothing wrong with the team, its p well built.
I agree w/ you bud, and that really annoys me as well. But when I am against steel, I try to take its Air Balloon with something else first so Heatran is no longer an issue as long as my Mega-Venusaur remains alive (since it actually should). I could put Giga Drain over Sludge Bomb but then I realized my team would be really weakened to handle stuff like Clefable and even Sap Sipper Azumarill sometimes.

(Giga Drain isn't really that mandatory but it does help a lot vs Ground Matchups on mons like Garchomp and Mamoswine)

Also thanks for that lol

Seo.

Nice guys always finish last...
Hey Bro! gratz on ur win and peak

your team is amazing, just a small suggestion is why not run Swords Dance>Rock Tomb for Breloom? you already have Cradily for things like bug and fire, and it helps you with late game sweeps, but i guess rock tomb does add support to ur weaknesses, thats up to u at this point, but in general this team is perfect, good luck!

Hey Bro! gratz on ur win and peak

your team is amazing, just a small suggestion is why not run Swords Dance>Rock Tomb for Breloom? you already have Cradily for things like bug and fire, and it helps you with late game sweeps, but i guess rock tomb does add support to ur weaknesses, thats up to u at this point, but in general this team is perfect, good luck!
Grass + Fighting is walled by Flying type Pokemons. Rock Tomb is absolute necessary if I want to make the matchups you mentioned winnable (no way Cradily can take all Bug, Fire and Flying types on its own), so it can KO several threats if Sash is still intact, as well as hindering switches for said types. The slow Rock Tomb provides can also be really helpful at times, allowing Breloom to outspeed Pokemon which wouldn't be able otherwise.

Thanks for that btw ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)