Online Competition Ultra Sinnoh Classic

February's comp is Ultra Sinnoh Classic:
  • Single battles (max 10 minutes of thinking time per player, 1 minute per move)
  • Usual species, item, and uber clauses
  • Mega stones and Z-crystals are banned entirely
  • Only Pokemon from the Sinnoh Pokedex (incl. Platinum expansion, #1-148 and 152-209) are eligible, regardless of what other regional dexes they may have appeared in
  • No requirement of a particular origin marking, so you can drag Pokemon up from DPP themselves, or even VC RBY as long as they reappeared in Sinnoh
Of note, Pokemon like Heatran and Cresselia were introduced in the Sinnoh games but weren't actually part of the regional dex, so you can't use those at all. Highest legal BSTs:
600 - Garchomp
580 - Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf
545 - Togekiss
540 - Gyarados, Milotic, Electivire, Magmortar, Snorlax, Blissey
535 - Crobat, Magnezone, Tangrowth, Rhyperior, Porygon-Z

Last edited:
Such a shame that so many legendary Pokemon aren't part of the Sinnoh. I always wanted to try Skill Swap Regigigas, but not today I suppose. Not that it was a Doubles competition. Not sure what I'll run. Maybe Belly Drum Azumarill probably.

Oh, good thing Mega Stones are banned because I would have hated seeing Mega Lucario everywhere.

I could try making something around Reckless Staraptor... but that would require me getting a Reckless Starly, which I lack =(

Oh, good thing Mega Stones are banned because I would have hated seeing Mega Lucario everywhere.

I could try making something around Reckless Staraptor... but that would require me getting a Reckless Starly, which I lack =(
I could give you one.

I hope Electivire can be useful in this tourney, I love to use him any chance I get. Mamoswine will be a great Garchomp deterrent. If anyone wants to use Snorlax I imagine they'd need a decent check or counter to Infernape and Lucario.

I'm gonna have to test it but I think Belly Drum Azumarill is very potent in this format. The lack of items that are immune to Knock Off (Z-Crystals and Mega Stones) makes a Huge Power, Belly Drum/ Aqua Jet/ Play Rough/ Knock Off set very scary on paper.

I'm gonna have to test it but I think Belly Drum Azumarill is very potent in this format. The lack of items that are immune to Knock Off (Z-Crystals and Mega Stones) makes a Huge Power, Belly Drum/ Aqua Jet/ Play Rough/ Knock Off set very scary on paper.
Knock Off overall looks like a very dangerous move as there are practically no (seemingly) viable mons that resist Dark.

If this tourney's meta would end up resembling DPP OU in terms of potentially viable pokemon, the list is reduced to only Weavile, Infernape, Lucario and Umbreon. Choice Band or Life Orb Weavile sounds powerful.

That being said, I'm doubting on Play Rough from your idea. It pretty much only hits Garchomp harder, and while Garchomp is relevant as it's the only Dragon-type (Altaria doesn't count lol)... Liquidation gives better neutral coverage.

(BTW, Moody Bibarel sounds fun to use. No Megas and no Z-Crystals mean it's harder to break)

Last edited:
Knock Off overall looks like a very dangerous move as there are practically no (seemingly) viable mons that resist Dark.

If this tourney's meta would end up resembling DPP OU in terms of potentially viable pokemon, the list is reduced to only Weavile, Infernape, Lucario and Umbreon. Choice Band or Life Orb Weavile sounds powerful.

That being said, I'm doubting on Play Rough from your idea. It pretty much only hits Garchomp harder, and while Garchomp is relevant as it's the only physically offensive Dragon-type (Altaria doesn't count lol)... Liquidation gives better neutral coverage.

(BTW, Moody Bibarel sounds fun to use. No Megas and no Z-Crystals mean it's harder to break)
Why use it over Glalie as a moody Booster? There’s also simple Swords Dance.

Did I read that right? Single format? Yesss, my body is ready! I understand the majority prefers doubles but I've always performed better in singles competitions, I haven't been too active in a long time but I'm ready to work off some rust for this competition. To think I just recently bred a fake out nape as well, perfect timing.

Also on a side note, anyone needing reckless Starly for this comp, you could pm me. I have about 6 of them(breedjects) that I wouldn't mind trading away for trashmons, they even know double-edge.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Kaori gave me a list of viable mons in this that I added to after scrolling through this. I've arranged them into a kind of preliminary viability list based on pure speculation... I'm bound to have gotten some things totally wrong but that might spark some discussion here!

MOCK VR
Azumarill
Garchomp
Gengar
Gyarados
Porygon2
A+ tier

Alakazam
Chansey
Gardevoir
Gliscor
Hippowdon
Infernape
Mamoswine
Rotom-W
Scizor
Snorlax
Staraptor
Tangrowth
Togekiss
Umbreon
Weavile

A tier

Azelf
Blissey
Clefable
Espeon
Glalie
Lucario
Magnezone
Porygon-Z
Rhyperior
Rotom-H
Yanmega

A- tier

Electivire
Empoleon
Houndoom
Milotic
Piloswine
Uxie
B+ tier

Abomasnow
Bronzong
Drifblim
Gallade
Heracross
Mesprit
Roserade
Vaporeon

B tier

Gastrodon
Golem
Jolteon
Octillery
Pelipper
Quagsire
Rapidash
Rhydon
Spiritomb

B-

Mantine
Scyther
Steelix
C tier

Honchkrow
Raichu
Torterra
Toxicroak

Porygon2 is S rank, this meta game is obviously the only one who has learned the power.
When you can only pick 3 Pokemon, a defensive core is difficult to use, so incredibly-bulky Pokemon become much more valuable as they only take one slot, even if they are technically worse.

Reactions: pqs
199 Garchomp lives again! Only problem is getting stuck with one move with opponants that are immune or resist it, so always put it out first if you can.

Monkey D. Garp (Garchomp) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough Skin
Level: 50
EVs: 124 HP / 44 Atk / 84 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Fire Fang

Reactions: pqs
Can you play this on Sun and Moon (not Ultra)?
Alas, no.

Just out of curiosity, how have people been enjoying Gardevoir in this? Haven't played any games myself yet, but without too many fairies to choose from, it seems like Scarfed Trick sets might actually do something since you don't play against mega+Z-move user -cores every game like on regular BSS.

Attachments

I’m thinking of doing a stall-based team; do you all have any ideas for that? I’m thinking of using Chansey, Clefable, Hippowdon, and Mantine, but I can’t decide in the last two Pokemon yet.

Last edited:
Can you use Rotom forms in this tournament? I know that on the Serebii page it doesn’t list them as being able to be used (it does list the original Rotom though)
The Global Link website lists them as available, as expected (as Rotom is in the Sinnoh Dex and its formes don't require anything that is banned).

1517851984294.png

I guess Serebii just took it as granted and did not list them separately.

The Global Link website lists them as available, as expected (as Rotom is in the Sinnoh Dex and its formes don't require anything that is banned).

View attachment 100673

I guess Serebii just took it as granted and did not list them separately.
Thanks Siggu. I actually looked up that myself right after I posted that question, but it looks like I didn’t change my post fast enough. That will help me in building my stall-based team though, as rotom’s unique type combos can help me in certain matchups.

I've been thinking of defensive Pokemon or EV spreads to include on my team and I have a doubt...

It's not really worth it to have specially defensive Pokemon in this tourney, right? There are far more dangerous physical attackers than there are dangerous special attackers.

(This happened to come up at the weird circumnstances of me wanting to breed a Calm Rotom for Rotom-W as I wanted to take the DPP analysis as a reference for what it could encounter... but realizing I never caught any Calm Ditto >.<)

Last edited:
I've been thinking of defensive Pokemon or EV spreads to include on my team and I have a doubt...

It's not really worth it to have specially defensive Pokemon in this tourney, right? There are far more dangerous physical attackers than there are dangerous special attackers.

(This happened to come up at the weird circumnstances of me wanting to breed a Calm Rotom for Rotom-W... but realizing I never caught any Calm Ditto >.<)
Yeah, I think it makes sense to prep for the Physical side of things in this one.

On another note, how useful would SR be in this? Not a lot of x4 Rock weak 'mons to take advantage of, since 'Zard has no Megastone here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)