Online Competition Ultra Sinnoh Classic

First turn a Staraptor managed to OHKO a defense and HP invested bulky Drapion on full health with Double Edge. Then second turn it OHKO'd a defense and HP invested bulky Gliscor on full health with another Double Edge. Then he proceeded to OHKO my last Pokémon (max HP Azumarill on full health) with a Porygon Z's Hyper Beam. I didn't get a move in, basically.

I'm not sure how any of those three damage rolls and OHKO scenarios are physically possible. Choice Band Adamant Staraptor?? I dunno. But hey, that's Pokémon. I've learned something today.
You didn't mention investments but to have an idea...

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Drapion: 246-291 (71.5 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 226-267 (63.8 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 212-250 (102.4 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I'm surprised Porygon-Z can OHKO Azumarill with Hyper Beam with no items.

Last edited:
You didn't mention investments but to have an idea...

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Drapion: 246-291 (71.5 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 226-267 (63.8 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Hyper Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 212-250 (102.4 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I'm surprised Porygon-Z can OHKO Azumarill with Hyper Beam with no items.
Gliscor is Impish with 252 HP / 108 Def

Drapion is Jolly with 60 HP / 196 Def (weird spread I know but it was designed to survive a Garchomp Earthquake or +6 Azumarill Aqua Jet)

Azumarill was 244 HP / 4 SpD

I'm not saying it's not possible. I was just really surprised! Like, wtf Staraptor. Sit down please.

After day one, I’m also 10-5 with a mid 1500s rating, using a team of Azumarill / Tangrowth / Froslass / Rotom-H / Scizor / Garchomp. I’ve been surprised by how good Froslass has been, as it can set Spikes down, use Taunt, and use Will-o -Wisp to cripple the many physical attackers in this tournament. I’ve actually seen quite a few Roserades, not as many Weavile as I thought I would see, and Scizor for me hasn’t been that useful, at least not yet.

Played 15 games last night.

Competition is real rough here :C a lot harder than free battles.

Im 8-7 at the moment.

Most of my losses have been to togekiss flinchax lol :C i fkn hate that gdmn thing! >:c

Also imo it's crazy how everyone knows the ou sets and team set ups!

The whackiest thing I've seen was a murkrow that i just could NOT damage lol.

I run bellydrum marill, sd scizor, pory2, scarf chomper, orb mixape and cband weavile.

Testing the team out on free battles i was getting constant azumarill sweeps but i don't think he has gotten a single ko in this comp :C

Finna try harder today >:D

It's a lot of fun :3

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
People rage quitting and disconnecting before you get the points for winning. Really bad sportsmanship and sad to see. I'm sorry if you thought you'd won with your Mamoswine against my Gengar as the last Pokémon remaining, only to eat an Energy Ball and lose. It was a strategic move inclusion. Just deal with it and move on.
Don't stress about this too much, opponent DC's count as a game win for you. It just takes longer for them to process, but will count when the rankings come out.

After day one, I’m also 10-5 with a mid 1500s rating, using a team of Azumarill / Tangrowth / Froslass / Rotom-H / Scizor / Garchomp. I’ve been surprised by how good Froslass has been, as it can set Spikes down, use Taunt, and use Will-o -Wisp to cripple the many physical attackers in this tournament. I’ve actually seen quite a few Roserades, not as many Weavile as I thought I would see, and Scizor for me hasn’t been that useful, at least not yet.
I've seen a lot of Weavile! And Mamoswine. And a suprising amount of Rotom Heat. And I'm pretty sure every single team has Garchomp.

Day 1: 11-4

Three of the four loses I can live with, however the one where that low ranked player had froze my Porygon 2 for three turns, was able to setup agility on their Porygon-Z and freeze sash Nape with one tri-attack after the fuckery on my Porygon 2, no mi gusta. Almost raged quit that one, definitely crossed my mind.

Day 2. 10-5 again, 20-10 overall... seriously, will I ever end a day with a different record? It's always ending at 30-15 or something extremely similar.

My enemy today was Moody. Three losses were due to it. One, because a Porygon2 that Traced my Glalie's Moody got a Speed boost right before I could KO it, another where my Glalie didn't get the right boosts in time and was KOed, and the third was an opposing Glalie (the opponent's last mon) getting a Evasion boost in the first turn and preventing my Staraptor from OHKOing it.

... and technically there was a fourth time. An opposing Glalie (and team overall) having no way to break through my Clefable, when a disconnect suddenly happens. I think it was the other guy DCing, but I got kicked out of internet so I dunno, it could actually be a 9-6 day (and 19-11 overall) =/

Ended up at around 1600 points.

GV5G-WWWW-WWWH-ZN45

I start in a rather compromising situation, reaching a critical point where I misclick and try to Fake Out against a Scizor when it wasn't Weavile's first turn. Thank goodness she thought I was going to switch out and then I trick her into keeping clicking Swords Dance while I kept chipping Scizor and forcing it out when it got in Ice Shard range. Then Staraptor sweeps house like never before.

TPJG-WWWW-WWWH-ZNH7

How to fight against the very hax you are trying to take advantage of, and win. In spite of +2 Evasion, the opponent's Gardevoir scores several Encores in a Row forcing me to waste turns Calm Minding and letting it chip Clefable through Moonblasts and setting up a sub... until Clefable finally dodges one Encore, OHKOes Gardevoir and forces the opponent into surrendering.

I saw far less Milotic this day compared to yesterday. The only one I encountered was Final Gambitted by Staraptor (because it was the opponent's last mon). From a lot of Milotic that shocked me... to just one.

Apparently I can only kill Scizor in the most ghetto ways possible, such as getting the bad lead matchup and having to kill it with lead Lucario (lol) or cheesing a freakin' IRON HEAD Scizor with Clefable's Minimize. That thing darn nearly gave me a heart attack, playing against Iron Head Flinch and trying to last mon 1v1 Scizor with Clefable is stressful AF.

Anyway I had a hilarious battle where I ran into the God set itself Double Team Sand Veil Garchomp, supported by Smooth Rock Hippowdon. For some reason when I switched out to Clefable the guy decided to use double team AGAIN even though he had toxic and he had seen the stealth rock + sandstorm damage. Then I minimized, dodged two toxics in a row, and killed it with two moonblasts. Next he send out hippo and he had Ice Fang instead of Whirlwind (LOL) so I set up more minimizes and a couple of calm minds, unfortunately despite my minimizes yawn always hit. He forfeited the turn before Hippo died of poison (it got poisoned by my Blissey earlier on) and idk why when he had Mamo in the back, but oh well LOL.

I'm having a lot of fun too, these are certainly some of the most interesting battles I've had.

I must be 6-4 in 10 matches. My internet often causes a loss or 2. But Belly Drum Azumarill is a game changer for me. People also underestimate my sashed Gengar also running thunderbolt for Gyarados coverage. But Tangrowth with Assault Vest has been surprising people, especially when they try to have Infernape remove him but he is so bulky that Earthquake on my end can KO. I'm also running a defensive Staraptor (see monotype set) Garchomp hasn't been an issue since I can Intimidate it, Belly Drum/Aqua Jet it, or Tangrowth can HP Ice it away.

Had an absolutely disasterous day. First day I was about 10-5. After today I'm 14-16 or something equally awful.

Got wrecked by Weaviles all day. Especially one with Focus Sash and Counter which OHKO'd my Azumarill. Lost to multiple Scizors. I was swept by a Minimise Calm Mind
Clefable. And a Belly Drum Azumarill. I even lost to a full Eeveelution team FFS. Oh and I lost to a Floatzel. A FLOATZEL.

Couldn't seem to do anything right D:

I'm never running Gliscor again. Ever. Unless it gets a decent priority move.

So far, I’m 29-11 in the last two days with the team of Garchomp / Scizor / Rotom-H / Azumarill / Tangrowth / Froslass while going 9-6 today (with a DC though, so...9-5 really?) I’ve found that Scizor and Garchomp haven’t really been that useful; everyone seems to be running multiple checks / counters for them. In hindsight, I probably should have replaced one of them to better counter certain things like Weavile and Rotom-W, and maybe to outspeed more things as well. Everyone else has been pretty good though. Froslass usually does something useful before being KOed; it can burn foes to set up Belly Drum Azumarill, it can Taunt defensive Pokemon, and it can lay some Spikes to break some Sashes. Scarfed Rotom-H has been useful; its typing makes it able to switch into a lot of foes, and it can mess up defensive foes with Trick. I wish it had Hidden Power Ice at times, but you can’t always have everything that you want. AV Tangrowth has been really good in this tournament, as it can check a whole host of threats, and in particular it can reliably counter most Rotom-Ws. Belly Drum Azumarill has been quite good as well. If the opposing team doesn’t have great answers for Azumarill and it is able to drum it’s belly, then it could very well easily win the match.

I’m fairly happy with my team. as I’m winning about two thirds of the games that I’m playing. I just wish that Scizor or Garchomp were more useful.

Marzbar: Dont worry, I lost to an Eevee-ution team as well

Last edited:
So today I faced an interesting team in the 1690s and I will now share it with you:

Infernape @ ???
Ability: Blaze
Level: 50
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Jolteon @ Light Clay (most likely)
Ability: Volt Absorb (probably)
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Light Screen
- Reflect
-??? (My guess is Hidden Power Ice, but might have been Yawn, which is probably better overall, or maybe even Thunder Wave to continue the trend of slowing opponents down. I don't think it's Volt Switch as my opponent hard switch instead of using that move.)

Porygon-Z @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Adaptability
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Uproar
-??? (My best guess is Dark Pulse)

I led Lucario only to be shocked by Will-O-Wisp. My first thought was "WTF GG rip me". Fortunately after seeing Will-O, Taunt, and Stealth Rock, I figured out that Lucario actually walls it (I guessed the last move was Endeavor; it was Rock Tomb but that's just as good for Luc), and went back into it to get damage off. Anyway the point of the team is to set up rocks and slow something with Infernape as a sacrifice, set up dual screens with Jolteon and then sweep with P-Z, using Wiki Berry to give it a "second life" so to speak and facilitate setup.

Today I got to bring Glaceon to a couple of battles, which was really nice, and I got to kill a couple of Scizor with Blissey's Flamethrower instead of killing them in ghetto ways. I played better yesterday though.

Last edited:
Finished day 2 going 11-4 :3

Currently just under 1600 score :O

Weavile cband lead has been awesome today! If she doesn't outright ko the opponent's lead then i get a knock off on their switch :3

Azumarill has done far better today, getting 3 full sweeps >:D

My garchomp stinks :C i usually use it when the opponent has an electric type to lure in the thunderbolts aimed at azumarill, but besides that he doesn't do much.

By far my biggest mvp has been porygon2. I take him literally every single game and he is always vital.

I still struggle with togekiss :C either mixape misses a fkn gunk shot or it just outright flinch hax pory2 5 times in a fkn row!! >:c

I remember togekiss being a pain in my ass back in gen 4 battling and nothing has changed lol :C

Currently 19-11 over two days :3

My main goal is to have fun and that has been accomplishee bigly >:D

So today I faced an interesting team in the 1690s and I will now share it with you:

Infernape @ ???
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Light Screen
- Reflect
-??? (My guess is Hidden Power Ice, but might have been Yawn, which is probably better overall, or maybe even Thunder Wave to continue the trend of slowing opponents down. I don't think it's Volt Switch as my opponent hard switch instead of using that move.)

Porygon-Z @ Wiki Berry
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Uproar

Flamethrower instead of killing them in ghetto ways. I played better yesterday though.
Neat. I played against the exact same lineup in the mid 1600s, only my opponent's PGonZ ran Tri Attack and Hidden Power, which I assume was Fire. Of course I only know it was Hidden Power since Gengar's Icy Wind whiffed on it, costing the game. A gut punch after losing the previous game to a fresh Rotom Discharging the very same Gengar to 3 HP from around 52% on a Destiny Bond turn, paralysing it in the process.

Anyways, after 30 games I can report a measly rating of 1640+, which will have to do for this competition.
Good luck to everyone still playing their games!

Day 3. 9-6 record to end with a disappointing 28-17 overall and 1600+ rating.

There really weren't any interesting battles here (the only skill-based thing was Weavile outplaying a Destiny Bond) but hax was ever present. Clefable getting flinch-haxed by three consecutive Icicle Crashes, another Glalie getting a Moody Speed boost when I could have KOed it (then again, I didn't expect HP Fire either - Weavile should have survived an unboosted Freeze-Dry)...

... and Rotom-H. No, it's not H for "Heat", like the forme, but for "Higuaín" because I lost THREE matches today due to Rotom missing an attack in a critical situation that ended up costing me the game. And I lost one or two more the previous days due to the same thing.

(On the other hand, Clefable and Staraptor performed well outside of my expectations, often cleaning teams on their own -Staraptor hits like a truck even with just a Scarf- and Weavile did what I expected)

1519526663827.png

(Not displayed, Rotom having a low Speed IV)
(Well, technically only Clefable had a nickname, since Rotom's too long for the game, but if I could, I'd nickname Rotom that way)

In the end, my biggest issue is that I was essentially going with only 4 mons during the entire tourney - Glalie and Porygon2 were practically never chosen. Had I got time I could have tried for an Infernape so I could get an effective answer vs Steels, and a Magnezone as the main special attacker, but alas, I didn't, and I paid for it.

Last edited:
With 3 battles left I think I will not make it to 1700, which is sad because I reached it a couple of times and it was my goal. It is okay though because it was my first online comp and I am still pretty happy with the results. Day 2 was my toughest day because I played really badly some times when I did not have an unfavorable matchup. Day 3 was alright, except I got a lot of bad MUs against stallbreakers like Medicham, Fissure Mamo, and Life Orb Alakazam. The highlight of day 3 for me: I was fighting a stall team and got tricked a choice scarf onto Gliscor by Bronzong, which I will admit I never saw coming. Then I hit two Guillotines in a row LOL. RIP my opponent's Bronzong and Gliscor. The last mon was Blissey. By that point I knew I had won since I had my own Blissey in the back and I could stall with Toxic and Natural Cure. So I went into Glaceon thinking now would be the time for it to shine. I can take three flamethrowers and Rest up so I took my time and slowly, painfully began stalling it out. Unfortunately I don't have Toxic, but luckily I don't mind Blissey's Toxic because of Rest, so my Glaceon walls Blissey LOL. It took a long time but I think Blissey eventually ran out of PP entirely LOL and then my opponent forfeited but believe me they really wanted to win so they sat there for a very long time trying to kill my Glaceon to no avail. I am just happy that I probably gave someone Glaceon nightmares and left a lasting impression XD

Last edited:
Finished day 3 and pretty average result in the low 1500's. Had fun though.

I came up against a Weakness Policy Moxie Honchkrow with Payback. Scared the hell out of me when it got the multiple boosts! Especially since I couldn't remember if it had access to Sucker Punch or not :/

Infernape @ ???
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Porygon-Z @ Wiki Berry
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Uproar
I actually encountered this guy yesterday. It was one of those games where Rotom-Higuaín showed its inability to cope with pressure and missed two Hydro Pumps in a row. Had one of them hit, Porygon-Z would have entered the field with no Reflect and I'd have won.

The Jolteon had Roar. I learned it the hard time when I was trying to use it as Clefable set-up bait.

Last edited:
Thanks for the summaries everyone, this is insightful to read.

Question - to get the BP - does a player need to be ranked at the end of the competition? Or does completing at least 1 battle quality for BP?

I didn't see any Glalie this comp :( You folks who saw Glalie are lucky! I brought a memey Echoed Voice Glaceon just for Glalie but I saw literally zero Glalie :( It would have been so much fun to use Glaceon against it, too!

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I posted a lot on discord, but i finished this event at 1860 points 33-2. Here's my team screenshot
team.png

In hindsignt, I would have changed a few EVs, and probably should have used Sash + Counter Weavile in order to counter away physical attackers that pressure my team very hard (Beating Azumarill lead when I mispredict and lead Weavile would have been a very nice scenario). And I should have used Berry + Wisp + Hex Mismagius to pressure opposing Ghost-types on stall. I have used all 6 Pokemon fairly regularly, with Mismagius seeing least use due to it being strictly an anti-stall Pokemon, but Weavile has been very effective in patching up my weak spots. I expect to be pretty high on the leaderboard.

edit: @todoric0 who had all top 3 PS ladder alts beat me very hard with the same stall core which convinced me stall is very strong. I ended up using the same 4 stall core. And from some scouting around in twitter he also hit 1850+ in 33 games.

Last edited:
33-2 :O wow gj you :3

I finished 24-19 and very happy with my results >:D i didn't get to play all my games tho :C

My goal was to have fun and i did :3

I saw a ton of Luxray and Magmortar which i thought was weird.

Got roflstomped by a bulky infernape rocking slack off / calm mind / will o wisp / flamethrower :C

All in all i used most of my poke effectively but imo Garchomp scarf was the least useful by far while pory2 was an absolute stud.

Thanks for the summaries everyone, this is insightful to read.

Question - to get the BP - does a player need to be ranked at the end of the competition? Or does completing at least 1 battle quality for BP?
You just have to complete one battle to get it. You’ll have a ranking in the tournament no matter what though, assuming you complete at least one battle.

Anyway, I didn’t do so well on day three, having some close losses as well as two annoying DCs as well. Overall, my team of Froslass / Garchomp / Scizor / Azumarill / Rotom-H / Tangrowth did well. I found myself not really using Garchomp and Scizor too much, as everyone seemed to be running multiple checks/ counters for them. What I would recommend for newer tournament players is to not always use the ‘standard’ Pokemon, but to try to catch opponents off guard with different sets / Pokemon. For example, I used Trick room teams for the weakness and little cup tournaments (which not many people used), and I used a uncommon Pokemon in this tournament (Froslass), which usually put me in favorable situations in battles that it was used in. Ironically, the two most ‘standard’ Pokemon in my team (Garchomp and Scizor) were used the least.

I found it really weird that no one ran froslass.... Back in 2007 gen 4 online battling off of serebii chat i would run into froslass leads like 70% of the time. It is one of the pokemon i think of first when i think of that timeperiod of battling :O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)